Three.

Fear and Courage

 

It's been three weeks since I made friends with Myungsoo and well, Kim Jonghyun. And in this three weeks, Myungsoo has been greatly affected by just being my friend. People called him a fool, an idiot and whatnot. The worst of all were saying that I had some spell on him to make him befriend me. I did not like all these one bit and I tried finding ways to push him away but he was persistent and determined in staying by my side, it made me happy in a way. As for Jonghyun, he avoided me for the first week, pretending that he and I were not 'friends'. Though, eventually he warmed up to me.

Myungsoo would drag him out from the cafeteria over to the bench I sat on outside the cafeteria and made him eat with us. The first few days, he would just glanced back and forth while munching on his food, not speaking a word. Then, a few days after, he would eventually laughed or smiled when I said something funny or, Myungsoo and when we caught him laughing, he would shut his mouth and start eating, pretending that he hadn't heard anything. Two weeks later, he actually started becoming friendly and he even talked to me. Sometimes, when Myungsoo wasn't with me, he'll try to strike up a conversation with me and it made me happy in a way or another, though it'll be awkward.

After Myungsoo entered my life, school didn't seem that scary after all. I could live with the gossips, the whispering, the stares students gave me as I walked pass because I know that if I feel sad or anything, I could go running to him. Together along with Jonghyun, the three of us had become best friends and although others called me a '' for 'flirting' and 'playing' with two guys, I did not bothered about it. However though, something within me would beat really fast whenever Myungsoo came to me with that smile of his. It made me jump, it made me squeal, it made me blush and it made me.. dizzy but I wouldn't show it. At times though when I couldn't control myself, he'll catch me with my flushing face, teasing me.

Unlike other day, Myungsoo didn't came to school today. He was sick with a cold at home and he couldn't come. Of course I felt sad but rather than feeling upset, I felt more concerned about his health. I did asked Jonghyun about Myungsoo and he told me he was okay and didn't looked that serious. Just.. Myungsoo was too lazy to come to school and that was why he pretended to be very sick. It did lessen my worries but I would find myself being distracted in class.

When lunch came, I sat in the classroom alone, biting my lips and worrying whether or not he was alright now. Yes, I knew he wasn't that sick but I still couldn't help myself. It seemed a little weird to me how I only knew Myungsoo for three weeks and I was worried for him to the extent that I felt like skipping school. I never did, and I really wanted to that day. I made up my mind and I took my bag, ready to leave the classroom when Jonghyun came in from the door.

He stopped in his steps and stared at me curiously, "Where are you going?" He asked.

I sighed and brought my bag up to my back. "I'm going to leave school early."

"Why? Did something go wrong at home?" He took a step forward.

I took a step forward too. "No, but I can't help myself but worry for Myungsoo. I mean, he is sick and I am worried that he isn't going to get well soon.."

I was about to walk away when a hand stopped me from leaving. I looked at my wrist before looking up to Jonghyun. "You don't have to go. I received a text message from him saying he has already recovered and he is out."

I cocked my head to a side. "Out?"

"Yeah, he said he was out with some girls in Gangnam." Just as Jonghyun said that Myungsoo was with some girls, my heart strangely felt like it was clenching in pain. It was hard to breathe like I was cut off all supply from my lungs. My throat was begging to scream out in agony for the pain I felt in my heart but I couldn't.

I smiled but inside, it was killing me slowly. "O-oh." I pulled away from his grip. "R-really? Well... then I guess I'll just stay in school." I grinned and walked back into the classroom, putting my bag back down.

Jonghyun was leaning against the door frame when I turned and I cocked a brow, "Anything I can help you with?" I asked.

He looked at his wrist where his watch was and back up to me. "Well.. we have twenty minutes before break is over, wanna grab a bite?" He tilted his head.

I didn't want to think of anything, I just wanted to let myself be distracted from something before I get back home and question my mother what this feeling was all about. "Yeah, sure." I beamed and grabbed my pouch, taking steps to him.

During our break, Jonghyun took care of me like how Myungsoo did. He went and got me some food in place of Myungsoo and he would tell me jokes. It did not cheer me up but what did the trick was his effort in bringing a smile to my face.

And although I did not take in a thing I learnt today, I pretended I did. It was sort of hard to pretend that those whispers and stares did not hurt when Myungsoo wasn't here but somehow, I did it. With the help of Jonghyun of course.

When I opened the door to my house, Myungsoo was there on the couch and when he saw me, he jumped from the couch and ran over, bringing me into a hug. Wasn't he out with other girls? He should have been more than happy with them, what was he doing here? I stood still as he hugged me before he pulled away and beamed down at me. With that face I saw once again, my heart did flip-flops and I started blushing. I wonder, does he feel the same way as I do whenever he sees me?

"What are you doing here?" I whispered, not knowing if my parents were in.

He coughed and pulled me towards the couch before the both us took our seats. "Well.. I couldn't wait till tomorrow to see you so I decided to come over to meet you. And now that I've seen you, I can go off!"

"Weren't you with some girls?" I asked, baffled.

"Girls? What girls? I came here from home!" He smiled, playing with my fingers. "Min! I feel so sick! I don't want to go home now! I want to stay here and have you tend over me!" He laid on my couch and his head on my lap.

"Oh come on Myungsoo! I know you've already recovered! Quit the act!" I had my hands on his head, ready to push him away when I saw him sleeping peacefully. How did he sleep this fast? It was like everything stood still and time had stopped. It was then that I realised that his face was pale and that his face under my hands felt hot. He did not recovered at all, he was still sick. Why did he come over then? To see me? Was he like me, feeling like I had to see him everyday without a fail? These feelings were new to me but I'm not saying I do not like it in fact, it added some light to my dull life. To wait for him, to see his face and to see him smile was the best things I've ever felt in my life.

"Myungsoo?" I called and he smiled, even in his sleep.

"Min..." He mumbled. "I like you.. I really do..." He muttered from under his breath. He liked me? Was that why he was so caring and attentive to me? Was that why he always protected me from the harsh comments in school? Was that why... he came over even though he was still sick?

"Minh-" I put a finger to my lips and silenced my parents. They looked at me, confused and I pointed my finger down to Myungsoo and they nodded.

"Omma, I've got some questions to ask you." I whispered and she nodded, asking me to meet her in my bedroom. My father smiled knowingly at me as I moved some strands of hair away on Myungsoo's forehead and a soft smile went on my face.

I slowly moved Myungsoo's head from my lap over to the couch before getting up from the couch and walking to my room. I turned the knob and went into my room, closing the door softly and locking it before going over to my bed where my mother was.

She patted the space beside her and I took my seat there. "So what was it that you wanna asked?" She said as she caressed my head.

"Omma," I turned my body to her. "Why do I feel so happy whenever I see Myungsoo walking over to me? I feel like my entire world revolves around him and I feel like squealing and I blush a lot when he touches me. When he's with other girls, I feel like my heart clenches in so much pain that I find it hard to breathe. When he gets sick, I worry non stop for him and I feel like skipping school to go over and look after him, I want to make sure that he's well. I just.. these feelings are new to me and I've never felt it with anyone else before." I sighed as I looked down at my hands.

"Well first off, honey." She took my hands in hers and turned my face so that I was looking at her in the eyes. "Do you feel nervous whenever he's around, like you're afraid you'll do something wrong?" I nodded. "Do you feel like you're dying when you know he's not around and sick somewhere?" I nodded once again. "Lastly.. don't think, just feel, okay?" I nodded. "Do you.. love him?" I nodded once again when I heard it. I did not even think, I felt.. from my heart.

I gasped, shocked at the revelation. "There you have it honey. You love him." I looked at her, tears in my eyes and she nodded, getting up from the bed. "And just like you, he loves you too. But I won't be interfering in your matters. You two will decide what future the two of you want." And she walked off.

I stayed in my room, in the dark as the sun set and night came. I was still in my bed thinking. It was all too sudden for me, I've never felt happiness and love in my life before he came. I felt like it was okay for me to be alone but I wanted someone to be there for me. He believed and trusted me when no one did. And.. he said he liked me. Could that be considered as love? I wasn't really sure about our feelings for one another.

Should I tell him I loved him? Should I confess? But I'm afraid.. I'm afraid that I'll drag him down with me and everyone would give him those stares they gave me too. I don't have the courage to go after something I think I'm not worthy for. He's everything a girl wants in a man but I'm nothing a man would want in for a woman. I fear for the consequences we'll both face if we were together.

And that was when I decided, I would keep my feelings a secret. I would love him from inside. I had to because then, others wouldn't be too harsh on him. I have too much fear in me and no courage.

"Do you think he's copping well?" Minhee asked her husband.

Her husband smiled and turned her around, kissing her lips. "I believe he is. Like us, he will eventually find someone he can love once again." He rubbed her tummy in circles. "And have beautiful babies like we do now."

"A perfect friendship was broken because of me.. do you think he'll hate me for it?" Minhee bit her lips.

"Are you still worrying about that until now? I'm sure he's happy for us, he's happy that both his best friends married and are in love." He took her lips once again, assuring her and making her feel less guilty.