-

Hall of Fame

Ignore the mistakes and enjoy reading! :]

 

In a dawn, someone has woken up earlier than a sun. He yawned as he stretched out. He looked aside, finding that his best friend, Sungyeol still slept peacefully.

"Hey, wake up." 

"Ah, give me more five minutes. I'm still sleepy, dude." Sungyeol moaned and tossed his body. Myungsoo, the other man patted Sungyeol's lightly.

"Ah, come on." Myungsoo shook Sungyeol and then left the room as he kicked Sungyeol before.

"Why?" Sungyeol whined. "Let me sleep an hour more."

"No, you'll be late for your first day." Myungsoo said. "Oh come on, Sungyeol."

"Fine, fine. I'll wake up."

"You're totally a mess." Myungsoo chuckled then stood up leaving his sleepy friend on the bed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

They were best friends. Even though they had one year difference, they treated each other equally. Myungsoo needed Sungyeol's playful personality for his shy personality and Sungyeol needed someone to make him thinking little bit serious for the sake of his own life.

Since they were young boys, they knew each other's dreams. Myungsoo wanted to be a professional boxer while Sungyeol became his manager, so they could always be together. They also shared a same room in the orphanage house.

Myungsoo only had a mother while his father died because of boxing. Sungyeol got a worse life actually. His mother put his baby at the door of orphanage house so he never knew about his parents. Yet, he never felt sad. He always had a smile on his face.

They grew up together, played together and shared a dream together. There was only friend that Myungsoo had and so Sungyeol did.

When Myungsoo reached their 19 — Sungyeol was 20, they decided to go out from the orphanage house to catch their dream. They moved into a small apartment near the town, not too far from a boxing training centre. With a modest amount of money, they tried to survive.

To defray the cost of his boxing training, he worked as a waiter in a Chinese restaurant. Sungyeol also worked at a DVD rental store at the night. Because of their education — only made until primary school, they didn't have a steady job.

They would do anything to reach their dream.

To be able to get in the training centre, they must walk 1 km to the nearest station first. After that, they would take a subway approximately for 20 minutes. Not only that, they had to take a bus for 10 minutes from the subway station.

So that's why they left their apartment at 6 in the morning. Because of the long distance.

But as a heavy sleeper, Sungyeol would fall asleep when they were in the train. Myungsoo sat in front of him, looking around. He couldn't sleep wherever he was — not like Sungyeol. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

"See you later." Myungsoo waved his hand towards Sungyeol as they went for different destination. Once he arrived at the boxing gym, Myungsoo took a seat in the corner. He began to wear the hand wrap as he watched the other friend of him, doing the warming up. After that, he started to put on his shoes.

"Hi, L!"

Everyone knew him as L. A nickname was made by his coach. At first, Sungyeol was planning to be a boxer too but after gave his first try, he gave up. He preferred to be Myungsoo's manager than a boxer.

"Okay, are you ready for training today, L?" Asked the trainer. His name was Mr. Choi Jin. He was the owner of the boxing arena, the place where Myungsoo trained. He was an ex boxer. Because of his injury, he couldn't do boxing anymore. So he decided to teach every boy who wanted to be a boxer. Street boxer exactly.

"Yes!" Myungsoo answered as he stepped forward, walking to the arena.

Jin patted the gloves, challenging Myungsoo's deep stare. Myungsoo had worn his own glove. "Louder! I can't hear that!"

"YES!!!"

"Good! Now let's start it." Jin challenged. "Now, hit me."

Myungsoo bounced as he warmed up his body. He started to give a jab onto Jin's body but Jin could avoid it by bowing his body a bit. "Wow! I can read your attack." He scoffed.

"It's a warming up, hyung." Myungsoo grinned. "I will give you harder."

Then Myungsoo started to hit Jin's punching bag. When Jin tried to punch him, Myungsoo successfully dodged him. Jin smirked for the good reflex from Myungsoo. "Good!"

"Now, attack!"

Myungsoo slowly attacked Jin's stomach that had been protected by a bag. He exhaled the breath in a crude way as he sent some punches into the bag. The sweat soon came flooding his body.

After that, he took the water bottle and drank it all until it went empty. Jin came to his side and sat beside him. "How's your progress?"

"Going well, hyung." Myungsoo smiled.

"By the way, how's Sungyeol?"

Beside as his coach, Jin always placed himself as Myungsoo's older hyung. He cared about Myungsoo and Sungyeol. "He's fine. He's working at a mini market right now."

"I have information for you. Next month, there will be a boxing competition. I heard that they will give some cashes as price and the amount is so huge." Jin informed. "I tell you, in case you're interested."

"But I don't have any good experience."

"But you have me and Jin hyung as your supporter." Suddenly there's a voice coming from behind. There was Sungyeol. "Hey, you're coming too, buddy." Myungsoo spoke. “Why you go home so soon?”

“Huh? Ah, forget it. I just want to visit you, Myungsoo.” Sungyeol widely grinned.

"Yes, you have talent, Myungsoo. I can see it." Jin patted his shoulder. "You should give a try. It's okay if you can't win."

Myungsoo exchanged gazes with Sungyeol and the older just nodded. "Okay, I'm in." He said.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The exercise time then had been extended. With a help from Sungyeol, Myungsoo started to do athlete diet. Jin gave every trick he got when he was still a boxer to Myungsoo. They helped each other and gave a support for Myungsoo.

Sungyeol accompanied Myungsoo to do jogging every morning even though Myungsoo asked him to go back sleeping. Every night before sleep, Myungsoo also did push-up and sit-up. Besides that, Myungsoo would do an exercise alone. He punched the sand bag hardly until the sweat covered his body. He sent any powerful hit as he tried to take a long breath.

*I have to win.* He dug the motivation inside his brain. He didn't want to give up because everyone depend their hope on his shoulder.

"Myungsoo, don't forget to lock the door. I'll go home first." Jin called her from far. Myungsoo answered, "Yes, hyung."

"Don't practice too hard!"

"Yes, Jin hyung."

So that night Myungsoo practiced alone. He looked at the clock, 8 PM. He should go home soon before he lost the last bus. Before he went home, he decided to take a shower. He just needed five minutes to wait the bus. Time showed 7 PM and the bus was very empty. There was only him inside it.

He looked outside the bus. In the quite moment like that, his brain suddenly did a flashback.

 

“Mom, where’s father?”

“He’s gone, my dear. He’s gone.”

8-years-old Myungsoo didn’t understand that his father was died because of hard punch from his rival, right on his head.

Since that time, his mother never let him to watch any kind of show that containing boxing. Every boxing thing that belongs to his father had been thrown away. Myungsoo just had a photo with his father and a message that he got from his father before he left for his last fight.

“Son, if you’re already grown up, I want you to be a boxer like me. I know you can do it. You’re a good kid, Myungsoo. I’m proud of you. You have to protect your mom when I’m not here. Do you understand?”

 

“I will win, Dad. I know.”

 

When Myungsoo stepped out from the bus, he saw that his friend, Sungyeol also just got back home. “Sungyeol!” He called out his friend.

Sungyeol turned around and smiled, “Hey!”

“Where did you go?”

“I-I just come back from the mini mart over there. I’m hungry.” Sungyeol raised up the plastic bag, showing his shopping. Ramen and ramen. Unhealthy foods. Myungsoo clucked his tongue.

“Tsk tsk tsk yah, you should stop eating ramen before you get sick of that.” Myungsoo told. “Let’s go home. I want to sleep. I’m so tired.”

As they walked back home, Myungsoo encircled his arms around Sungyeol’s shoulder. “I can’t believe next week I’ll have my first boxing competition. What do you think?”

“I know you will win, Myungsoo.”

“This is what we want, isn’t it? I am as the boxer, and you are as the manager. We’ll fight it together and I’ll be the winner.” Myungsoo smirked.

“Yes, I’m so excited. The price is so amazing. We can move to the new apartment.” Sungyeol imagined. He grinned widely.

“We’ll stand in the hall of fame, together with you, buddy.” Myungsoo said.

“And the world’s gonna know our name. Kim Myungsoo, the best street boxer in the world.” Sungyeol raised his hands up. “Yeah!” He screamed.

“Ok, let’s run from here to our apartment. Who arrives first, he’s the winner and the loser will cook the ramen for him.” Myungsoo smirked and soon ran fast.

“Cheater!” Sungyeol dashed behind.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The day is coming.

Myungsoo had been awake since the morning. He just couldn’t sleep well because he felt so nervous and excited too. To release out his nervous feeling, he decided to take rope-jumping. After getting wet of sweats, Myungsoo awakened Sungyeol up.

“Morning, buddy.” Myungsoo grinned.

“What the heck did you do?” Sungyeol frowned. "Sweaty in the morning?"

“Warming up. Hurry up! The time is ticking!” Myungsoo left Sungyeol.

 

The boxing arena was so full this morning. The ticket had been sold out since the first day. Myungsoo was sitting inside the waiting room with Sungyeol.

"Your first opponent is Sunggyu. People said that he's very weak. I know you will make it." Sungyeol tried to motivate Myungsoo who was lowering his head since then.

"I'm worried, Yeol."

"You'll gonna make it, L. I know." Sungyeol stood up and patted Myungsoo's shoulder. Not for a while, Jin came in. "Are you ready guys?"

Myungsoo exchanged glares with Sungyeol and then shifted it to Jin who was standing near the door. "Yes."

 

The competition was very tight. Everyone fought to be the one. Myungsoo successfully won over Sunggyu, his first opponent and went to the semi finale. If Sungyeol didn't guess wrongly, Myungsoo would meet with Dongwoo, one of the best fighter.

"Play fair. Fight well." The referee informed. "Don't hit anything vital or you will get disqualified. Understand?"

The fighters both nodded. Dongwoo smirked at Myungsoo as he punched his gloves. Once the bell rang, Dongwoo soon sent a punch to Myungsoo's face but Myungsoo could dodge it.

"Newbie, you won't be the winner. I'll be the winner." Dongwoo hissed.

"We'll see." Myungsoo grinned and then sent a punch. 

"COME ON, L! YOU CAN DO IT!!" Sungyeol screamed out loudly from the audience seat. The audience roared in happiness when they saw the scene where Myungsoo could give a hard punch on Dongwoo's jaw.

Dongwoo fell down and got knocked out. The referee came to the middle of arena and started to count. Myungsoo tried to fill his lungs with oxygen.

And in the end, Dongwoo was still in ground.

"And L wins!" Referee put Myungsoo's hands up.

"This newbie kid is a thing. Dongwoo is known as one of best fighter but L can read every his attack and sent a hard punch on his jaw. Well, L will continue to the next round and he'll meet Hoya in the semi finale." The commentator gave a closing. "Now, let's move to the next fight as we wait for the semi finale."

Sungyeol gave Myungsoo a bottle of water as he helped his best friend to wipe his sweat. "Are you okay, Myungsoo?"

Myungsoo nodded. "Yes." He grimaced in pain when Sungyeol patted his wound. "Do you think I can still go until the finale round?"

"Of course you can, dude."

Seeing his friend's quick response, Myungsoo scoffed, "You seems so sure about it, Sungyeol."

Sungyeol sat beside Myungsoo, "Of course. You're my best friend. I know you can do it." He patted Myungsoo's shoulder.

"Why?"

"Do you remember the time when we were still at the orphanage house? I remembered when you hit that boy with your fist." Sungyeol said.

"Yes, I do. I did it because he mocked at you. He didn't like that you're taller than him. Childish boy." Myungsoo scoffed.

"And you know since that day you and I became a best friends?"

Myungsoo nodded, "Hmm. You helped me because in the end that boy kicked my legs. We fought so hard and it accidentally made my legs broken for a week."

"See? You have to believe that you can do it. I still can remember it well when you said..."

"I want to stand in the hall of fame together with you and the world will know our name. Maybe this time they laughed at us, but next time they will bite their tongue because of us." Myungsoo continued.

Suddenly the crew called them back because it's time for Myungsoo to get into the arena. He would meet Hoya as the opponent. "Good luck, Myungsoo."

 

Then Myungsoo stepped into the arena. The crowd roared in excitement while they saw the newbie fighter had coming on his way.

Hoya had already prepared at the arena. He didn't take off his eyes from Myungsoo. He then scoffed, "I will win." Myungsoo could read those words from Hoya's lips. Then the opponent grinned.

Jin then gave some tricks before the fight started, "Watch out for his fast hit. That's his best trick." Jin said as he put the teeth protector to Myungsoo.

Myungsoo nodded. "Good." Jin shook Myungsoo's hair. "Wish you the best."

 

The two fighters met in the middle of ring. The referee stood between them, "Okay, this is the finale. We'll have five rounds. Play fair, fight well. Don't hit the vital area. Got it?"

The bell rang. The referee stepped back and watched over the fighters. Myungsoo stood in ready position while Hoya smirked at him, "Do you think you can win, newbie?"

"Dongwoo have said this before, but you see, he's the loser." Myungsoo replied.

"I will be the winner, not you." Hoya started to send a punch but Myungsoo could dodge it. Then Myungsoo could hit Hoya on the stomach.

Hoya stepped back as the pain attacked him, "!" He cursed. Myungsoo bounced a bit up and down as he kept putting his eyes on Hoya.

In a fast pace, Hoya soon sent a punch on Myungsoo's cheek. Everyone gasped in shock while Myungsoo fell down to the ground. But in few seconds, Myungsoo could stand up again.

Everyone screamed gleefully, but some of them shook their head. "He won't be the winner. Hoya is the king of fighter and he's very strong."

Sungyeol overheard their conversation and his hands curled into a fist, "No, he will be the winner." Sungyeol whispered.

Hoya spat out, "You still can wake up?"

Myungsoo balanced himself. Before he could fight back, Hoya already pulled out a jab on Myungsoo's shoulder and punched his cheeks.

Everyone could see that Myungsoo's sweat splashed around. It proved how hard Hoya's attacks were for Myungsoo. The audience went into a long silence as they stared at the little body that was lying on the ground.

"WAKE UP, BUDDY!" Sungyeol called out his name. He didn't care how many hateful stares towards him. He just wanted Myungsoo to wake up. "YOU CAN DO IT!"

Myungsoo started to open his eyes. Vaguely he saw how the referee counted for him. Everything was blur at first, but then it became clear. He saw how Sungyeol stood up in the middle of audience and called his name.

Slowly he tried to stand up once more. Hoya couldn't believe what he saw. The newbie still made it. "Why?" He hissed in anger. Hoya paced his steps and hit Myungsoo who wanted to fight back but the younger man could avoid Hoya's attack. Instead, he hugged the stronger man and let Hoya kicked his stomach with the knee.

Everyone grimaced in pain, like they were feeling the pain that Myungsoo had from Hoya's knee kick. Once he got the chance, Myungsoo caught Hoya's knee and pushed him down. He sat above Hoya and started to send the hit on Hoya.

Hoya protected his face as Myungsoo punched him on the face. The bell rang, signing that the fourth round has ended. Myungsoo walked hardly to the corner. He sat on the chair and let Jin cleaning his wound. "Are you okay, buddy?" Jin asked.

Myungsoo took the water bottle, rinsed the mouth with water and spat it out to the bucket. "Ye-yeah. But he kicked my ribs and it's so painful now." He touched his ribs.

Jin quickly brought a bag of ice and pressed it on Myungsoo's ribs. The young man grimaced in pain and took the ice bag from Jin. As he kept pressing the ice, he heard every instruction from Jin.

Hoya stared at Myungsoo who was sitting across him. He spat out a blood, "I can't believe this. I'm nearly lost from a newbie like him." He hissed.

"Don't worry, Hoya. We can be the winner." His coach said. "It's amazing to see this newbie until this last round."

"Me too."

The bell rang. Hoya soon walked to the middle. Slowly, Myungsoo came closer towards Hoya as his face showed some pain. One of his hands touched his ribs. The opponent smirked, "Oh, he has an injury on his ribs. Well, this is good."

When the two fighters faced to each other, people could see how bad their conditions were. Wounds and sweats covered their faces. "Hey, still thinking about being the winner? I think I will be the one." Hoya scoffed.

"We'll see."

Hoya showered Myungsoo with punches. Myungsoo soon covered his face with both of his hands and stepped back once Hoya kept moving forward. The younger hugged Hoya and pushed him back.

Hoya hit Myungsoo's back, trying to escape from Myungsoo's hug. He became panic when he realized that the last round would end soon. "Let me go!"

Myungsoo smiled, "I will stand till the last round, bastard." Once he realized that the power of Hoya's punch got decreased, Myungsoo tackled Hoya's legs and made him falling down.

The chance had come for him and he won't let it go. Myungsoo gave hard punches on the stomach and face. Hoya couldn't go anymore and fell limply under Myungsoo.

And the referee started to count down.

"Ten."

"Nine."

"Eight."

Myungsoo stood up and watched Hoya who tried to stand up. He looked around, seeing Hoya's coach yelling at Hoya. He also caught how Sungyeol's hard expression was.

"Seven."

"Six."

"Five."

"Four."

Mom, Dad, am I the winner?

"Three."

"Two."

"ONE! K.O!" The referee yelled and soon raised up one of Myungsoo's hands. "Win!"

"And the newbie comes out as the winner. Unbelievably impressive!! Now, let's welcome a new winner, L!"

Sungyeol screamed happily and ran from his chair to the arena. Jin paced to Myungsoo and hugged him. Myungsoo closed his eyes and faced the ceiling. Yes!

A smile curved on his thin lips and tears came from the side of his eyes. "I win."

 

After the fight, Myungsoo and Sungyeol went home together and Jin drove the car for them. Now they were walking back at  the hallway to their apartment.

"Wohoo! See? You're the winner!" Sungyeol screamed happily. "And the price is so awesome."

Myungsoo nodded. "Well, what will we buy with that price?"

"Treat me in the expensive restaurant and..."

"Buy a new apartment." Myungsoo finished Sungyeol's sentences with a smile.

 

 

End.