Detective Hae and the Case of the Missing Best Friend

Lost and (Needs to Be) Found

“Can you tell me the last time you saw Lee Hyukjae?”

 

Kyuhyun blinks and stares at his hyung, or whom he thinks is supposed to be his hyung, and almost forgets to answer the question until he gets an impatient look. “Yesterday.”

 

The other boy hums as he writes this down. “Do you remember what he was doing?”

 

“He was playing ball.”

 

“With?”

 

“With you, hyung.”

 

“At what time?”

 

“I don’t know. I don’t look at the time. I can’t even tell time yet,” he says, sputtering out words between the two empty spaces where his front teeth are supposed to be, but only because Youngwoon punched them out of him last week. Stupid mouth of his, running on and on about how small Youngwoon’s brain is. Well he isn’t wrong.

 

“Donghae, what are you really trying to—”


Detective Hae.”

 

“What.”

 

“It’s Detective Hae. I’m doing work now so you can’t call me that,” he states and pushes his chin up at the younger boy.

 

“Okay, Detective Hae. You know Hyukjae could be at home right now, and not missing? I’m just saying,” he says.

 

Donghae chuckles and shakes his head. “Poor, poor Kyuhyun. Still so young and still not getting it. Poor, poor Kyuhyun.” He doesn’t explain what Kyuhyun is not getting when Kyuhyun waits for it, but this is as reasonable as it’s going to get and Kyuhyun doesn’t even try to ask when Donghae is still chuckling, still thinking he’s a smart boy.

 

“But I really think Hyukjae isn’t missing, he’s probably just at Donghee’s house. You freaked out like this last time Hyukjae went ‘missing’.”

 

“Who’s the detective here, huh? That’s right, me.” Donghae jabs his chest with his thumb with a serious expression and rubs it when it hurts a little bit more than expected. “I ask the questions here so be quiet and let me do my work, o-kay.”
 

Kyuhyun almost wants to spit more words out today, in front of Donghae because Donghae’s being weird again and it’s very tempting to say many things. He eyes the ugly fedora hat and god, it’s so ugly, and that oversized suit jacket Donghae’s trying to sport but trust Kyuhyun on this, it isn’t working.

 

The young detective glances down at his notepad. “Anyone else you might wanna recommend who might know where Hyukjae is? Maybe Sungmin? Outside sources say Sungmin and him are good friends, maybe even brothers.” He widens his eyes as if to intimidate Kyuhyun, which, sadly, will never work. Ever.

 

“Sungmin is outta town, remember? He said he had to go to China.”

 

Donghae frowns. “What is he doing in China, he’s no Chinese.”

 

“You said that yesterday too.”

 

He snaps in Kyuhyun’s face repeatedly. “We are not talking about me here, we are trying to find Hyukjae and you are not helping.”

 

“But, Donghae—”

 

Detective Hae.”

 

“Really.” Kyuhyun deadpans. “Really.”

 

Donghae rolls his eyes and sighs impatiently. “Look Kyu, I have no time for this. Tell me: Did you see Hyukjae or not?”

 

Kyuhyun stares passively at Donghae—Detective Hae. “No, I didn’t.”

 

Donghae huffs and brings down his notepad. “You . I’m leaving. But it’s nice doin’ business with ya. Yell if you find him.” He reaches into his jacket pocket and holds out a piece of poorly cut blue construction paper that’s got his name on it and a drawing of Mr. Charlie. “My card.”

 

Kyuhyun takes it and gives it a puzzled look. “But…I’m not up to this level of reading yet.” He looks up but Donghae’s already halfway across the street on his blue bike, to find the next person that might be of help.

 

 

 

--

 

 

 

Donghae exhales sharply as he takes a seat on a park bench. Well that was a complete bust. Kyuhyun might have had the best information Donghae would need to solve the case but he let him down, just like that. At this rate Donghae will never be able to find Hyukjae. He holds Mr. Charlie up to his face. “What am I gonna do?” he mumbles. “I can’t find him anywhere.”

 

“Ask other people. It’s the only way to find the stupid kid,” Mr. Charlie responds.

 

Donghae scowls at him. “Hyukjae’s not stupid. He’s the smartest kid I know.”

 

“Apparently you don’t know many people,” he scoffs.

 

Donghae points at him. “I don’t like your attitude, mister. You better shut that mouth of yours before I squeeze your gills.”

 

Mr. Charlie does the smart thing and stops talking. When it gets silent again, Donghae hears a soft voice behind him. He turns his head and sees a small figure crouching over the pond. He gets off the park bench and slowly heads over, keeping Mr. Charlie behind his back. He gets closer to the figure until he’s able to make it out clearly and realizes it’s someone that he knows.

 

“Jongwoon hyung?” Donghae asks, squinting. “What are you doing here?”

 

Jongwoon’s back is turned toward him so he isn’t able to see anything until Jongwoon turns his head. His dark eyes meet Donghae’s lighter ones. “Oh, Donghae. Hi.”

 

“Detective Hae,” Donghae corrects. “Why are you sitting by the pond?”

 

Jongwoon turns his head around again and waves a hand. “Come take a look.”

 

The young detective walks closer and sits down beside Jongwoon. The older boy holds up his hands and brings it toward Donghae’s face. Donghae peers into his hyung’s small hands. “A turtle?” he recognizes.

 

Jongwoon nods enthusiastically. “I found another one just today. Got it out of the water when it was trying to swim away. He’s a new addition to the family,” he coos, petting the little green creature.

 

Donghae furrows his brow. “How do you know if it’s a he?” he asks.

 

“You just do. It’s like when you’re missing something that you forgot on a long journey but you’re just not sure but you’re sure,” he explains. “Something like that. I didn’t find a name for him yet.”

 

Donghae scratches his head. “How about Ted?”

 

Jongwoon stares at him. “Ted?”

 

“Yeah. Ted seems like a nice name.”

 

“Ted,” Jongwoon repeats, rubbing the turtle’s shell. “I like Bobby too.”

 

Donghae nods in approval. “I like that name. Very nice.” He suddenly comes back to what he’s doing. “Oh, hyung! I forgot to ask you: Did you by chance see Hyukjae anywhere? I’ve been looking for him all day.”

 

“Hyukjae?” Jongwoon repeats, blinking. “No, I haven’t. Did he not tell you where he was?”

 

Donghae shakes his head sadly. “No. He didn’t tell me anything. I can’t find him, Kyuhyun was no help, and Mr. Charlie is getting irritated. I don’t know what to do. It’s harder than I thought it’d be,” Donghae sighs, throwing his hands on the ground.

 

Jongwoon stares at the sky blankly while he pets his turtle. “I remember I saw Hyukjae with Jungsu hyung yesterday after the basketball game. Maybe Jungsu hyung knows.”

 

Donghae snaps his fingers and brightens. “Of course! Jungsu hyung knows everything! He might know where Hyukjae is!” He gets up and runs over to his bike, throwing one leg over. “Thanks, hyung. Say hi to Ddangkkoma and Ddangkkoming for me!”

 

“But wait!” Jongwoon calls out, holding out a hand. “We still haven’t given a name yet for the little one!” He watches in silence as Donghae pedals away out of hearing range. He turns back to his turtle. “It’s okay. He’ll be back. They always come back.”

 

 

 

--

 

 

 

Jungsu is one of the few nicest big kids in the neighborhood. He’s nice to everyone, regardless of age, even if he is the oldest. That makes him the head honcho of The Big Kids territory.

 

It takes a man to be able to cross The Big Kids territory. It takes pain, pure raw guts to walk over the invisible line that separates the little kids and big kids. If you aren’t eleven, don’t bother. The big kids have a reputation, just like Donghae, but it’s much different. Much different.

 

Donghae stares at his sneakers that are about to take a giant step for little kid mankind. He swallows a thick wad of saliva and shakes his head from the thought of running away like a sissy. He’s got a job to finish, and even if it means he has to cross The Big Kids territory, he’d have no problem doing so. It’s for Hyukjae. It’s all for Hyukjae.

 

He takes a deep breath and exhales. Inhales and exhales. Another time just to be safe until he’s ready to make his first move. He looks ahead and nods to himself, thinking this can help him find Hyukjae. He just needs to get this over with.

 

He takes another deep breath before finally stepping over the invisible line. Everyone who’s anyone stops what they’re doing and stares in shock when they see Donghae, a kid who’s not eleven yet, take a step in The Big Kids territory. Those kids who also aren’t able to get past that line look up at him in awe and salute him. Donghae’s pretty sure he hears Kyuhyun sputter, “It’s nice knowing ya.”

 

Donghae’s all but a poker face. He doesn’t show anyone any sign of giving up or wetting his pants. He walks with his shoulders squared, hands by his side, with Mr. Charlie’s head sticking out of Donghae’s suit pocket. All the big kids are staring at him, either in surprise or confusion. Some, Donghae notes, doesn’t look all too happy. Some look amused.

 

He sees Jungsu playing around with some of the other boys in a game of basketball. When Jungsu sees him, his eyebrows rise and everyone stops playing.

 

“Donghae?” he asks. “What’s up?”

 

Donghae is in immediate detective mode. He takes out his notepad and his blue-and-white fish printed pencil, and starts writing down a few things. “I’m Detective Hae and I have a few questions for you, hyung, if you don’t mind me asking.”

 

“Of course he minds,” Youngwoon, one of the older kids, speaks up. He’s not eleven yet either, but every big kid likes him and his strong athletic ability so he’s an exception, not to mention one of Jungsu’s favorites. He puts his hands on his hips and walks right up to Donghae. “What does he got to do with a little punk like you, huh?”

 

Donghae clears his throat. “Youngwoon hyung, I have important business to discuss with Jungsu hyung. So if you’ll excuse me I will have to go talk to him.”

 

“And what’s this important business? It must be real important for you to cross here,” Youngwoon smirks, hovering over Donghae’s little figure. The big kids know it won’t end well for poor little Donghae. They stare at the showdown curiously, waiting, for one of them to initiate the first move.

 

Donghae manages a perfectly well hardened gaze, albeit professional. “Hyung, I have to talk to Jungsu hyung first because he might know where Hyukjae is.”

 

Youngwoon howls loudly. “So it’s all for that wimpy kid? You sure have a thing for him don’t you, Donghae?”

 

Donghae’s sharp eyes cut into Youngwoon’s. “It’s Detective Hae.”

 

Youngwoon’s eyes darken. “Don’t talk back to me,” he snaps, walking closer until he’s face to face with Donghae, who remains diligent in holding his professional expression. “Jungsu hyung doesn’t know where that mutt kid is. Heck, he probably left the neighborhood and didn’t even tell ya. Ain’t that some friend you got,” he taunts, jabbing Donghae’s chest a little harshly.

 

“Youngwoon,” Jungsu warns. “Don’t be like this. Donghae, you should go.”

 

“You hear that, Donghae?” Youngwoon sneers, pushing his finger harder into Donghae’s chest. “You should leave before your pretty face gets bruised. And what’s with this getup anyway? What are you, Sherlock Holmes? It’s pathetic.”

 

“I need to talk to Jungsu hyung,” Donghae says between clenched teeth. “I need to find Hyukjae.”

 

“Nobody has time for that stupid kid, Donghae. We don’t care about him. Go bother someone else your age,” Youngwoon retorts.

 

Donghae clenches his fists. He’s fuming. He’s frustrated. He’s angry. He wants to do something about it.

 

Before he could stop himself, he’s already picked up his leg and aims it straight for Youngwoon’s crotch. It gets there successfully and Youngwoon sees the bright light when he falls onto his knees. Everyone is sharing whispers and screams and they’re running over to surround the fallen strong kid. Donghae is on his way out of The Big Kids territory, running as fast as his legs could take him. He gets to his bike on time but he hears the heavy footsteps dashing toward him. It’s Youngwoon who takes pain for a second and gets back up on his feet in less than a second and he’s mad.

 

No. Not mad. He’s absolutely furious.

 

He’s at full speed, coming straight for Donghae, and there’s a maniacal look in his eye.

 

Donghae squeaks. He gets on his bike and hurriedly pedals off. Youngwoon is still after him, loud noises of anger spewing out of the big kid and now Donghae kind of wants to pee. Donghae is going fast but so is Youngwoon and everyone watching doesn’t know who’s going to make it first, although there’s an 80% chance Donghae won’t. They turn corners and zoom across sidewalks. Donghae is pedaling harder and faster than he’s ever done in his life and he’s pedaling and zooming and pedaling.

 

“I’m gonna kill you,” Youngwoon says under his breath, but somehow Donghae could hear it close to him and it makes him paranoid. He doesn’t turn around to see though.

 

Donghae doesn’t know how long it’s been but he knows it won’t be long until his legs give out. He prays Youngwoon loses track of him or decides to give up because honestly, he just can’t do it anymore. He hears Youngwoon breathing hard and thinks the older boy is too determined to make kimchi out of him.

 

When they turn another sharp corner, he hears Youngwoon make a thud on the ground and a soft “oof!” after it. He doesn’t turn around just yet. He waits until Youngwoon yells at him to come back so he could do vulgar things to his face. He looks back behind his shoulder and rummages through his pocket before throwing it to the floor where Youngwoon can see it.

 

“Yell if you find Hyukjae!” he calls out before riding far, far away.

 

Youngwoon pants heavily and takes a hold of Donghae’s business card. He frowns. “What does this say?” he mutters to himself, and the only thing he recognizes is the drawing of Mr. Charlie.

 

 

 

--

 

 

 

Donghae’s mom doesn’t say much when she sees her son half-unconscious on the front porch. She drags him in and takes off his hat and suit, putting him near the air-conditioner. Immediately after, Donghae is resurrected. He breathes hard and clenches his T-shirt, taking a look at his surroundings. When he realizes he’s at home, he calms down. He takes a trip to the refrigerator and sullenly pours himself a glass of strawberry milk. Whenever Hyukjae comes over, he always wants strawberry milk so Donghae makes sure to buy a carton. Today Hyukjae didn’t come so Donghae has to drink it all.

 

He takes a seat on a chair and drinks it in one gulp and shudders. He has never been much of a sweets lover because Hyukjae took that position. One time he asked Hyukjae why he likes strawberries so much. Hyukjae said he just did and burped in Donghae’s face.

 

Good times, Donghae thinks nostalgically. Sighing, he stares at the empty glass in front of him. “Today Hyukjae did not come and I am sad and no one can feel my pain.” He brings Mr. Charlie up to his face. “Now we must dance in his honor.” He takes Mr. Charlie with him and stands up, throwing his arms in the air while walking around in circles.

 

Where did Hyukjae go? Where is he, when Donghae has been looking all over for him and there hasn’t been one sign, one clue? They should have been playing with Donghae's rockets right about now, with Hyukjae making one of them fly over to old woman Jung’s backyard and get a scolding for it. Donghae wails loudly and runs in circles three more times. Mr. Charlie tells him he’s getting dizzy.

 

“Donghae,” his mother calls, her head popping from the door. “Someone’s here to see you.”

 

When she moves out of the way, a smug-looking boy walks in, with dark bangs sweeping over his forehead.

 

Donghae widens his eyes. “Heechul hyung?”

 

Kim Heechul. One of the other big kids, just next to Jungsu. He’s known for being abnormally eccentric, with a temper to bear. Although Heechul isn’t as big as Youngwoon, he’s sure as heck scarier and harder to handle with.

 

Seeing Heechul in his home is not good news. Donghae’s never talked to Heechul before; only seen him around a couple of times, just an enigma to the neighborhood kids, including himself. So seeing him in his kitchen, in his kitchen, it’s a little unbelievable.

 

Heechul’s smirk stays intact. “That was a pretty bold move you made over there. Youngwoon wasn’t expecting that one.”

 

Donghae remains silent. He would talk but he doesn’t know how. He’s face to face with the Kim Heechul. In such a situation, what does one say?

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to,” Donghae blurts out. “I was scared and he was so big and mean and I almost wet my pants—look, you could even see a wet spot on my .” He turns around and points.

 

“Um,” Heechul pauses. “That’s okay.”

 

Donghae faces Heechul again and his eyes are glistening. “Youngwoon hyung isn’t going to rip my head off, is he? I didn’t mean to do what I did, honestly. I just don’t like it when someone talks bad about Hyukjae like that.”

 

Heechul nods in understanding. “I get it. If someone trashed Hankyung I’d get pretty pissed off too. I actually came here to give you information about Hyukjae. Since I heard you were going crazy over finding him, maybe some info could help you out.”

 

Donghae furrows his brow. He doesn’t know Heechul that well but he knows him enough to know that isn’t all what Heechul intends. “And what do I have to do?” Donghae asks.

 

Heechul gives another lopsided smile. “Oh, aren’t you a smart one. Guess you’re not a detective for nothing.” He puts his hands in his pockets. “Of course, I want something in return.”

 

“And that would be…?”

 

Heechul walks over and tilts Donghae’s chin. “I want you to be my loyal servant for a whole day,” he replies. “One day, you and me, nothing else.”

 

Donghae’s shoulders slump. “Can I just give you my videogames? I won’t be able to play with Hyukjae if you take me away for one day.”

 

“What kind of videogame?”

 

“Call of Duty: Black Ops II.”

 

“Deal.” They shake hands on it.

 

“Where’s Hyukjae then? He hasn’t moved to China, right?” Donghae asks hopefully.

 

Heechul wrinkles his brow. “Why would he go to China, he’s not Chinese.”

 

“But Sungmin’s there and Hyukjae might’ve followed him because they could be brothers,” Donghae muses, scratching his chin. “Brother complex, perhaps?”

 

Heechul raises an eyebrow. “A nice guess but it’s not exactly right. Have you checked all of Hyukjae’s friends?”

 

Donghae blinks and looks up. “Well, I asked Kyuhyun first, then Jongwoon hyung, then I was going to ask Jungsu hyung but Youngwoon hyung chased me away, and that’s about it. Am I missing someone?”

 

“Besides you, Donghae, who else is Hyukjae close with?” Heechul asks.

 

Donghae thinks hard. “I thought I was his only friend.” A sudden light bulb comes above Donghae’s head. “No wait, I know who it is. Oh my god, I’ve been checking all the wrong places! He’s gotta be there. Oh my god!” He slaps his forehead but rubs it when it hurts more than expected. “I need to go, hyung. Thank you so much for your help.” He runs over to where he left his suit jacket and hat. He digs into the pocket and holds out his hand. “My card.”

 

Heechul looks at it and laughs. "How funny. I like this kid." He watches Donghae make a run for his bike across the yard. “He still needs to give me that Call of Duty, though.”

 

 

 

--

 

 

 

Donghae barely parks his bike when he struggles to get off with all his clothes on. He spots Hyukjae’s red bike by the yard.

 

He pats his pocket and feels Mr. Charlie is still with him, so he walks onto the front porch of the house and knocks.

 

A woman opens the door and smiles at the detective. “Hi, Donghae. Are you here to play?”

 

Donghae shakes his head. “No, ma’am. I’m here for official business. Then I will play. Can I come in?”

 

“Of course. They’re in his bedroom.”

He thanks her and quickly hurries up the stairs. He takes a left and walks toward the last door. He could hear laughter and a familiar voice and suddenly he opens the door and—

 

“Hyukjae!”

 

“Dong—whoa,” he breathes as he gets suffocated by Donghae’s bear hug. He finds himself on the floor and Donghae’s squishing him like he’s Mr. Charlie. Hyukjae grunts uncomfortably. “Donghae, you can get off me now.”

 

When Donghae stops hugging him, Hyukjae sees tears flowing from his eyes. “Do you know how long I’ve been searching for you?” he asks, trembling. “You didn’t tell me where you were or where you’ve been and I had to ask everybody and they didn’t know and Youngwoon hyung almost killed me, Hyukjae, he really did.”

 

“Youngwoon hyung? Why?” Hyukjae gets punched across the face. “What the heck!”

 

“I almost died because of you, jerk!” Donghae yelled. He flaps his arms and Hyukjae occasionally gets hit. “It was so scary and I was sweating in this stupid suit—”

 

“You still are.”

 

“—and you’re here with Donghee hyung having the best time of your life, huh, loser? You leave me with all this to handle and you get to have all the fun?” Donghae glares at Donghee who still hasn’t said one word since. “I got my eye on you.”

 

Hyukjae sighs in exasperation. “Donghae, I told you yesterday I was going to be at Donghee hyung’s house today but you covered your ears and refused to listen to me, remember?”

 

Donghae blinks. He does remember Hyukjae was telling him something about not coming over but Donghae was too mad about it to hear anymore so he put his hands over his ears and sang a song.

 

 “Oh,” he whispers.

 

“Yeah,” Hyukjae agrees. “Oh.”

 

Donghae gets off Hyukjae and stands up. “But we haven’t played today,” he says. “I was waiting all day. I even made stupid business cards because of you!”

 

Hyukjae gives Donghae a weird look. “So what now? Wanna play with us? We were just playing Starcraft II.”

 

“No. We’re going to ride on our bicycles and play with rockets and laugh until we fart. That’s that,” Donghae declares.

 

Hyukjae isn’t going to complain because Donghae looks like he’s about to beat Hyukjae to oblivion or anyone that disturbs him. He nods slowly and a sweet smile comes across Donghae’s face. He holds onto Hyukjae’s hand. “Let’s go.” He points a finger toward Donghee. “Except you. I don’t accept you.”

 

Donghee doesn’t complain and lets them out of his room and waves goodbye while Donghae still has that creepy, scary vibe. They say goodbye to Mrs. Shin and Donghae tips his fedora hat to her in gratitude. When they got outside, Hyukjae unlocks his bike from his parking space.

 

“Ready?” he asks Donghae.

 

Donghae sighs tiredly. “Can I ride on yours? I can’t move my legs anymore.” He places himself behind Hyukjae and Hyukjae takes off. They drive away, the summer breeze flowing through the air.

 

“Did you kick Youngwoon hyung’s ?” Hyukjae asks but he doesn’t get a response. “Donghae?”

 

Donghae’s eyes are closed and he’s fallen into a blissful sleep. He doesn’t hear when Hyukjae calls his name over and over again.

 

 

 

--

 

 

 

Jongwoon looks out to the sapphire blue night sky, sighing. “He’ll come back soon. I know it.” He pets his newfound turtle fondly. “We’ll find a name for you, don’t worry.” He stares at the creature that’s stopped moving. “Hey. Hey. Are you sleeping? Friend? Friend? Ted? Bobby? Can you hear me? Answer me! Friend?” He pauses and looks at it closely. He slaps the turtle silly. “You’re probably just sleeping.”

 

Sadly that day, one turtle was murdered by incessant fondling of an oblivious eleven-year-old boy.