Why Did You Come Back?

The Life I Live

Raquel’s POV

“I'm gonna pop some tags, only got twenty dollars in my pocket. I - I - I'm hunting, looking for a come-up. This is f--“

“Child you better watch your tongue or you’ll have to tongue to watch.”

"Well damn someone’s got her in a bunch.” Mackenzie mumbled looking out the window. I slowly turned my head to face her.

“Uh, hold up. What did you just say?” She flinched and her eyes widened.

“I-I said well darn the pansies are in a bunch?

.

.

.

I love you Quellie~~!” Oh God I hated when she did that. And she knew it. If I didn’t let her off soon I might get us both in a car crash.

“Okay fine. Jeez. Just don’t ever - I mean NEVER call me that again, hear me? Ugh so --- gahh!” I felt goose bumps forming on my arms.

“Oh whoa I see yo goose bumps. I didn’t know you disliked it that much. Do I disgust you big sister?” She made a pouty face and enlarged her eyes. I didn’t look at her and instead focused more intensely on the road.

“You don’t disgust me. It’s that face. It reminds of when we were much younger and you would use that face to get me to do anything for you and I would always get in trouble for it.” She smirked and faced the road once more.

“Pssht, no it’s cuz you loooooooove me ^^”

“Oh shut up.” I stopped the engine and got out of the car.

“We’re here.” She got out of the car and made a beeline for a cart. I shook my head while watching. She might as well have been a 5 year old instead of the 21-year-old she was supposed to be.

“Come on Raquel! You’re taking so long!” She entered the grocery store and I followed shortly after. When I finally caught up to her, we began scanning the grocery list.

“Let’s get the cereal first,” Mackenzie suggested, heading towards her favorite aisle. We scanned the cereal boxes in front of us, contemplating what we should buy. After about a minute of thinking, Cocoa Puffs, Count Chocula, Cookie Crisp and every other chocolate flavored cereal available was in our cart.

“Okay on to the canned foo--”

“KENZIE! KENZIE!” We turned around and saw a skinny teenage boy running towards us, hair flying back and a smile illuminating his face. Mackenzie simply chuckled.

“Hey Ian. What’s – oof!” Ian engulfed her in one of his bone-crushing hugs. This boy was skinny, but we learned to never underestimate his hugs. His arms may have been skinny and flimsy-looking but they packed a lot of strength.

“Hey Raquel.”

“Hey Ian. How’ve you been?”

"I’ve been pretty good.”

“That’s good. Well you children catch up while I go to retrieve our necessities.” With that I left the kids, but not before catching Mackenzie’s scowl. Smiling, I shook my head. She was going to have to get used to being with that boy.

Mackenzie’s POV

Why was she leaving me with him?! Ah well, a few minutes wouldn’t kill me. I hope.

“So Ian, what’s up?” I said, starting towards the frozen section to get the ice-cream.  

“Oh nothing much. Looking forward to the game, Eric’s picnic and oh yeah my brother’s back.” I stopped walking and turned to him.

“Andy’s back? When did he get back?”

“About three days ago.” Well this was news.

“Wasn’t he supposed to get back in about 2 months?”

“Yeah,” he replied, distracted by the multiple choices of frozen goodies. “But he said something about not being able to continue unless he handled some important business here.” He opened one of the doors and brought out a box of snicker’s ice cream cones. Raquel could not hear about this. I had to keep this from her ears somehow. Biting my lip I turned to Ian.

“Hey Ian, can I ask you for a favor?”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raquel and I were back in the car and on our way home. I looked sidelong at my older sister’s face. She looked rather relaxed despite her school work. She didn’t need the stress of an old issue.

“What’s up?”

“Huh?”

“Why are you looking at me? What happened?”

“Oh, nothing happened. I was just wandering why you were so pretty.”

“D’aww sweetie, you’re pretty too. In fact you’re beautiful and don’t let anyone else tell you otherwise. Now let’s get you home to mom with these groceries shall we?” our conversation ended that way, but what Ian said was still bugging me. Why couldn’t he just disappear?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No one’s POV

“Mom, we’re home!” They entered and went straight to the kitchen with some of the groceries. An elderly entered the kitchen soon after and hugged both girls with a smile.

“Oh my babies, I’ve missed you.”

“Why are you talking like that mom? It’s not like you don’t see me every day. I live with you.” Mackenzie took a swig from a bottle of water before continuing.

“If there’s anyone you should be missing it’s Raquel.” Raquel smiled and hugged her mother once more.

“I do miss you mama, but you know how it is. College and work at the same time is not easy.”

“I know baby, I know. But take it easy alright? Don’t wear yourself out. You are too young to be having wrinkles and tired bones you hear me?” her mother lovingly caressed her face.

“Yes mama.”

“I go to college too. I know how it is. You’re not the only one struggling.”

“Child, don’t complain. Right now you’re just relaxing. When you get to the real thing then you’ll know.” Raquel looked at her watch then looked back up at her mom.

“Mama, I have to go.” She kissed her cheek and hugged her again before hugging her younger sister.

“Bye you two. Kenzie don’t forget to take care of mama. And yourself. Bye.” With that she left her mother’s home and rushed to her car. Mackenzie and her mother stood at the window watching her and shook their heads simultaneously.

“That girl is always rushing.”

“Just hopes she doesn’t rush into something dangerous.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raquel’s POV

The drive back to the dorms was going to be a long one, so I decided to put on some music. I pulled my favorite CD out of its spot in the CD holder (after a struggle of course) and popped in into the CD player.  Two songs later I still wasn’t at the dorm and a very familiar song came up. My body went rigid and I gripped the steering wheel tighter. My thoughts went flying back to that time, the time when I was happy with him.

 

‘Oh baby I need you, for the rest of my life girl I need you…’ He would hug me from behind and place little kisses along my neck.

 

I could die in your arms right now, knowing that you somehow, would take my soul and keep it deep inside your heart…’ Here he would spin me around and we’d face each other, then he would kiss my lips once, twice and hug me after the third kiss. I shook my head and put my focus back on the road. This was no time to reminisce in the past. A few minutes later I finally pulled into the parking lot of my university. I got the remaining groceries from the backseat before heading towards my dorm. Lucky for me we had an elevator so I didn’t have to climb the stairs to the fourth floor with these heavy groceries. When I finally got to my door, I had to struggle with the stuff before I finally found the key.

 

“Alright, let’s go.”

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

No one’s POV

Raquel unlocked the door to her apartment and walked in, hands full of groceries.

“Who is it? Oh, hey Raquel.” It was Alisha, her roommate and best friend.

“How was your day?” she asked, settling on the couch with an ice-cream bar.

“I’d appreciate some help here Ali,” she mumbled, barely visible behind the large brown bag in her hand. Suddenly Ali gasped dramatically.

“Oh yeah there’s someone here for you,” she whispered loudly, taking the brown bag from Raquel and leading here into the kitchen.

“Who is it--?” Raquel stood there frozen, unable to tear her gaze from the blue-green eyes that seemed to have her under a spell.

“Hey there Raquel. Still looking as beautiful as ever.”  His voice was still as deep, milky and seductive as it was when she first met him.

“What are you doing here Andy?” He smirked and walked towards Raquel, eyes still trained on her.

“I wanted to see you. I missed you baby.” By then he’d reached her and was reaching out to hold her, but she stepped back.

"Why are you here? Shouldn’t you be out of state taking care of whatever business it is you have?”

“I did,” he began, approaching her once more. “But I couldn’t bear not being able to see you so I came back. I know you missed me too. I see it in your eyes.” His left arm was on the waist and his right hand was reached up to her cheek when she slapped his hand away and stepped back.

“Get out. Get out of my house now.” She couldn’t even yell, didn’t have the strength to yell at him. She could only glare, or attempt to glare at him, hopping he would get the message. Knowing her well enough to read her like an open book, Andy got the message and stepped towards the door.

“Fine, I’ll leave now. But I’ll be back for you sweet cheeks.” He blew a kiss and her and winked before letting himself out. Raquel, disoriented and weakened from the shock, sank to the ground.

“Raquel!” Ali ran to her side to support her best friend. Raquel put her head in her hands, her numb face unable to feel the tears that were steadily making their way down her face.

“Why did he come back?”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello my subscribers and (hopefully)soon-to-be subcribers :) If you are reading this...THANK YOU FOR SHOWING INTEREST IN MY STORY!!!! It means a lot to me.

I hope you liked the chapter. It's short, i know and I'm really sorry. I didn't know how to begin the story. Hopefully this a good enough beginning and you will stick around for the rest of the story. 

Please comment/leave feedback so that I know how anticipated the story is, yah?

Once again, thank you :) I won't disappoint you all (>^_^)>  <(^_^<)