Band Love Life

Drum Major

 

Another marching season. The best season for some band geeks, like yourself. Homecoming was coming around the corner which meant preparing for the parade was in full swing. Wednesdays afterschool was marching practice and although everyone complained, you secretly liked it. But only because you got to spend a little more time with the drum major, Choi Siwon. However, you played flute so for marching formation, you were always pushed to the back and even though he was 6 feet tall, you couldn’t always see him because you were so short. Your lack of vision was made up for with his voice though. You could always hear his “Band, atten hut!” and other commands clearly. His voice was strong and sometimes you wondered if he ever thought of singing.

Siwon was perfect in every way. Unlike last year’s drum major, who was sort of a douchebag, Siwon was well respected by everyone. He had a certain kind of charisma that showed through whenever he talked to someone. He was very kind, smart, funny, and just an all around amazing guy. 

“Hey ______,” Siwon approached you before practice started. “Will you stay with me after practice is done? Mr. Kim has to leave early and told me to lock up the band room for him.”

“Yeah, sure” you smiled.

“Thanks” he smiled back and then called the band into formation. 

You sighed when he was out of earshot. You’ve known him since middle school and now it’s senior year in high school but he’s still that one crush that never went away. You’ve had boyfriends but no matter what, you always seem to go back to liking Siwon. You try to push your feelings away because you doubt he’d ever like you but even little conversations, like that, with him give you an insane amount of butterflies.

Marching practice ended an hour later and you sat with Siwon waiting until everyone packed up their instruments and left. 

“See you later, Siwon” Kyuhyun and Shindong said; they were the last people to leave. They smiled at you sweetly, then winked at Siwon.  You giggled. They were some of the popular class clowns and Siwon’s close friends.

“Just leave” Siwon said rolling his eyes. The boys laughed then left and closed the door behind them. 

“So why did you want me to stay here with you?” you asked.

“I just wanted some company while I clean up a little bit” he answered. You followed him up to his instrument section - he played drums and percussion - and he started to pick up the pieces of music left on stands and on the ground. 

“You’re too nice to your section” you commented. “You always clean up after them even though you don’t have to.”

He shrugged. “I don’t mind that much. But could you help me for a second? Could you take that snare drum out of that cabinet over there for me please? I want to move it to a different one.”

You walked to the cabinet that held snare drums and reached for the only one that was left in there. But the cabinet was tall and the drum was way in the back, so you couldn’t quite reach it, even on your tippy-toes. You heard Siwon chuckle when he saw you struggling. “Shorty” he teased. You looked over your shoulder and gave him a glare and pout at the same time. “Meanie” you said back to him. 

He chuckled again. “I’ll help you.” He walked over to where you were standing, but instead of standing next to you to reach the drum, he stood behind you, and grabbed the drum, then brought it above your head and moved it to a different cabinet a few meters away. He was so close to you, you felt his stomach against your back and you silently wished that his hands would suddenly slip around your waist and hug you like you hoped would happen one day. The moment ended too quickly, and Siwon was already at another cabinet, organizing the bass drums. 

“Can I ask you something?” he said while he worked. 

You’re heart skipped a beat but you answered coolly, “Of course”. 

“What do you think about band class relationships? Do you think two people who are in the same band can date?”

That was an interesting question. You thought back to freshman year, when your best friend, a trombonist, went to a dance with the senior drum major. They had a thing going on but it didn’t last long. And you thought about your sophomore year. You dated a saxophone player for 2 months, but it was an extremely awkward relationship. The only result was a broken friendship that you now regret. But, there was that one couple in the trumpet section…they were the cutest couple ever. Maybe there were exceptions…

He looked at you, waiting for an answer. “Well maybe they work out sometimes” you began, “but a lot of the time, they don’t. Band is more like a family; we see each other as brother and sister, not people we’d go out with.”

He nodded his head. “I want to change that though.”

“What?” you said, surprised. 

“Come here” he walked over to where you were sitting on the stool in front of the drum set, and took your hand. You instantly turned red and shyly tried to hide it. Siwon nervously bit his lip. He led you to the piano and sat you down next to him. “I have a surprise for you” he said. “Do you remember that one time in history class when you told me your favorite song?”

“No Other?” you said.

He smiled. “Whatever you do, don’t laugh please.” Then he placed his hands on the piano and sang. 

Neo gateun saram tto eopseo juwireul deureobwado geujeo georeohdeongeol eodiseo channi

His hands flowed effortlessly on the keys and his voice was simply astounding. He had the most beautiful voice you’ve ever heard. The melodies fell in perfectly with the harmonies and you couldn’t do anything but try to absorb everything that was happening.

Neo gatchi joheun saram

Neo gatchi joheun saram

Neo gatchi joheun ma eum

Neo gatchi joheun seonmul

Suddenly he stopped. “That’s as much as I know” he admitted, a bit embarrassed. 

“Siwon, you’re amazing!” you exclaimed. “How do you even do that?”

“I speak Korean at home.”

“No, I know that, I mean when did you learn how to sing like that?! You have a great voice, you’d be the best in choir.”

He blushed a little at your compliment. “Nah, I like band geeks better than choir nerds.”

You smiled. “That was the sweetest thing someone’s done for me in awhile.”

“Play a song for you?”

“Yeah, and sing. No one’s done that before.”

He smiled and said “Well I had to tell you somehow.”

“Tell me what?” you asked.

“Exactly what the song says: that there’s no other like you.” He blushed. “And also that I’ve liked you since freshman year and that I’ve always been too scared to talk to you because I get so awkward but I just really like you a lot” he said all in one breath. You wondered how long he had been holding that in.

When you didn’t respond right away, he became nervous. “I’m sorry. This is why I’m so awkward. I’m not good with words.”

“No, it’s okay” you said quickly. “I’m just so surprised you like me because I like you too.” You looked down at the piano shyly.

His electric eyebrows went up his forehead and his eyes got bigger in surprise.

“Yes” you giggled at his expression. “I’ve liked you since freshman year too.” 

“What, why didn’t you tell me then? Why did you date those other guys?” 

“Because I thought you didn’t like me so that was my sad attempt at getting rid of you as a crush. Obviously it didn’t work though.” You both laughed a little.

After a pause, Siwon said, “So, I like you, you like me. What does that make us?” He started getting closer to you and he put his arm around your waist.

“What do you want to us be?” you looked at him. 

He smiled so his dimples showed. “I want us to be together. So will you go out with me?” he asked. 

“Yes, of course” you smiled and put your arms around him, hugging him tight. He hugged you back even tighter and the only reason you let go was because you were being squeezed so hard that you needed air. As soon as you separated, Siwon leaned over and planted a kiss on your cheek. 

“You don’t know how long I’ve been waiting to do that” he sighed. 

“You don’t know how long I’ve been waiting to be yours” you said back.

“Then we need to make up for lost time” he smiled so his adorable dimples showed again and then gave you another gentle kiss.