01 - Talk

Life of the Background Noise (hiatus)

 

 


 

»Chapter 01 - Talk

 

 

"What do you want to do?

What do you want to do?

Believe in yourself

What do you want to do?

What is the meaning of life?"

Jiyeon smiled at the audience after the last tune was played and bowed with her hands, still gripping a dark colored microphone. The people in front of her were mostly elder men with business jackets and women with eyes squinted at her, probably jealous, due to her revealed legs. Her knee length black satin dress with red planted roses on the edge of it fitted well to her body, since she's neither too slim nor too chubby and her silky hair which fell down straight on her shoulder, was the icing on the cake. Jiyeon swiftly turned around on her black pumps towards her band mates and her smile changed into a frown. "Next time you should remember the songs order."

"I'm really sorry..." Sungjong, the keyboard player hung his head and played with his fingers. "It was my fault; I forgot to give the others the sheets."

Hoya who put away his drum sticks ignored them since he was sure Jiyeon wouldn't bash Sungjong, although she has a sharp tongue, while Dongwoo packed his bass into the cover and watched them, as if he was watching the of a movie.

"Don't be too strict, Jiyeon-ah, he's still new." Eunjung placed her E-guitar with ornaments of lilies on its surface and placed it on the stand. With her usual vivid steps, she quickly approached Sungjong and rubbed his back. "It's okay, Sungjong, it's okay..."

Sungjong immediately tilted his head after timidly smiling at Eunjung. Jiyeon heaved a sigh as she saw him grabbing tightly the end of his night blue lumberjack shirt which was probably a size too big for him. Her feet led her towards the younger boy. 

"If you keep being depressed only because of me saying it, you might as well stop working with us.”  Jiyeon indicated and crossed her arms. As a response, Sungjong nodded hesitantly. He didn't dare to lift his head.

“I understand. It won’t happen again.” He inhaled air through his nose and tried to calm himself down because he was feeling uncomfortable.

Eunjung knew his self-confidence was as big as a mustard seed; therefore she patted his head to encourage him. Compared to Sungjong, Jiyeon was more confident and strong-minded. Eunjung, as the Unnie of the group took care of her friends like a mother, whereas Jiyeon was the one who mostly critiqued and scolded them - especially when the things didn’t go on her liking.

“What a kid.” Jiyeon huffed and rolled her eyes when she saw her Unnie encouraging Sungjong. Screwing him on the first day of his job was not a good move. She felt guilty about it and threw her light brown hair back, a habit of her when she knew she was wrong. But it’s for Sungjong’s and  the other’s best, unless nobody would learn from their mistakes. Eunjung raised her eyebrows at Jiyeon and she just replied with clicking her tongue. Then she put the microphone on the mike stand when a silhouette of a man made her attentive.

He was wandering around through the crowd and although she could briefly recognize anything because of the spare lighting, she knew it was him. His features were distinctive for her and it had never been hard for Jiyeon to find the man she loved. The man locked his eyes with Jiyeon and signed her by tilting his head to come down. 

“Take care of the instruments.” Jiyeon whispered to Dongwoo. He asked her with his eyes, why she wanted to leave. After seeing the small smile on her face and recognizing the man who stood not far away next to the stage, he made an 'okay' sign, understanding her urge to go.

Jiyeon made her way downwards from the stage and her heels clicked along the way through the marble floor. After all he was the reason why she persuaded her friends and fellow member to play in this special event. If it wasn't for that certain person, she would've rejected the request for the sake of hers and her lover's parents' relationship. They usually performed only at the club Jiyeon’s father owned. That was the first time she stood on stage outside of the place she’s familiar with.  

The 10th anniversary of INFINITE’s Music Entertainment was a big event organized by the CEO himself who was her lover's father. There’s a reason why her lover wanted her to sing for that party. Firstly because his parents should get to know her and secondly because they would know her good points which was obviously singing.

They both kept looking at each other while coming closer, never left each other sight until they were a few inches apart. She felt his warm breath on her cheeks and he grinned excitedly as soon as they met.

"Jiyeon-ssi"

"Woohyun-ssi" Jiyeon imitated. "Nice to meet you again."

He smirked at her remarks. Their eyes stayed glued and he was sure, it wouldn’t be him who'd lose their starring battle. "You look gorgeous, by the way."

Jiyeon cringed. Her eyebrows were knitted together and she scrunched up her nose. "How many girls got a compliment by you until now?"

"Only you, baby." He winked and boarded a disgusted look from Jiyeon. 

"What about your girlfriend? I bet your parents forced you to say how beautiful she is, don’t they?" Jiyeon shot back and and smirked as she saw Woohyun blinked startled and took a step back.

Woohyun was Jiyeon’s lover, a guy who already had a girlfriend.

He cheated on his girl friend with Jiyeon.

And Jiyeon was aware of this from the very first time they had a date together.

Woohyun gulped down his saliva and his dry lips. Soon, he regained his calm posture and shoved his hands inside of his pockets with a grin on his face. "You know you're the only one I love.”

“Wow, the son of CEO Nam is a badass cheater…” Jiyeon whispered, although it wasn’t necessary since the party music was loud enough to hide their secret conversation from the public’s ears. “What a surprise!”

“I won’t cheat on you, babe.” He uttered under his breath. “Can’t wait until we officially date.”

Jiyeon smiled at him and teasingly curled a hair strand. “Maybe we will after this party?”

She sounded casual, just like how she usually was in front of him. Him, the only person she could unveil herself. Deep down inside, she knew she was desperate to own him all by herself. Months and months had she been enduring the fact that he had someone else besides her.

The aftermath of her action was a chuckle from Woohyun. He tried to restrain himself from pressing his lips on the lips of the person in front of him. Sometimes he’s sick of the parties his parents made, only to show off his real girlfriend to other people. His only love was Jiyeon and he would never change his mind. “There’ll be no other chances left since father will work aboard for two weeks tomorrow morning.”  

“Then do something about that, Woohyun-ssi.” Jiyeon coked her head to the sight with her eyes directed to the ceiling. “I wouldn’t come to this place, if you didn’t plan to tell your parents about us.”

Woohyun nodded and reached out his fingertips to lift Jiyeon’s chin, but then hung it next to his tuxedo. He looked at her eyes which were filled with the longing for him; For his love. For his heart he shared for his love, his fun and his responsibility towards his parents.

“I’ll go to my parents and you wait at the counter over there.” He said pointing with his eyes to the right. “When I rub my neck, come over to me and I’ll introduce you to them.”

Jiyeon’s lips curled up as she agreed with a nod. She poked his chest continuously to emphasize what she demanded. “This time will be the last time, alright?”

“It will,” Woohyun winked and separated himself from her. “don’t you dare to run away.”

“Don’t you dare run away!” Jiyeon made her way towards the place she was told to go, but her eyes still lingered on Woohyun. “See you.”

Woohyun just smiled and commanded his legs to give his parents a little visit. The couple stood in the middle of men and women debating about how to make more win in foreign countries next year and how to decrease their loss. The smile of Woohyun faded as soon as his mother, Yejin caught the presence of him and stared at Woohyun with a confused face. She seemed to be like a lost puppet searching for its owner, turning the head from left to right and nodding without understanding anything. The woman wore her hair in a bun, retained by a simple white hair band.  

His mother had a rather ordinary background, until she met the boy named Nam Sunggyu in the middle of the street, singing with his heart and soul, searching for an agency who would train him after he got rejected by countless music entertainments. Yejin’s father was the proprietor of a small company. He invited Sunggyu and selected him to be a trainee. At least at first.

Sunggyu found interest in not only music, but also business. He gave up his dream as a singer and helped Yejin’s father.  Yejin’s father trusted him and let him work with him. To begin with, his job wasn’t challenging and as he won more experience, he fully worked at the company. The CEO often invited Sunggyu into his house therefore Yejin and Sunggyu saw each other. As they grew older, the relationship between Woohyun’s parents became closer and they fell for each other.

Soon after that the wedding followed, but also the death of her father. The day after the funeral Sunggyu was appointed as the new CEO. That time, people started listening to Korean music more and more and their entertainment gained more support and worker.

Although his father was born to handle a company, his mother lacked on comprehending it. She’s a mother, a wife and the vocal trainer of their company, basically not more than that.

“Mother,” Woohyun muttered and laid his palm on his mother’s back. He felt her tense posture under the red dress she was wearing. Her mother slightly smiled and him before bowing to the crowd, excusing herself and escaping to a deserted edge; of course not too far from Jiyeon. “Did they trouble you with questions again?”

Yejin shook her head and caressed his son’s cheek. “No, no they didn’t. Son, stop being so nice. You know how many staffs are drooling over you, don't you?”

Woohyun laughed as she praised him. He was anything but good. Indeed, before he met Jiyeon he secretly dated girls from time to time. Never would he thought about telling his parents he was bored with Suzy. Instead, he kept in mind that he would marry Suzy sooner or later, thinking of it as a not really big deal, so he had fun with other girls by the time being. Until his heart was stolen by Jiyeon.

A night club Woohyun often went to when he and his friends needed a break. The club where he saw Jiyeon singing every time he went there, the club where he fall for the husky yet soothing voice, the club where everything started.

“Are you alright?” Yejin gave Woohyun a puzzled frown and held his chin. “You look pale.”

“I’m fine… I… I’d like to introduce someone to you and father.” He stole a short glance to Jiyeon before continuing. “And a less noisy place would be much appreciated too-“

“Woohyun! Here he is!” Woohyun’s father walked with a big smile towards him and gave him a bear hug. Behind him there stood three other figures. “We have some things we should talk about, don’t we, Mrs Bae?”

“Yes,” She smiled at Sunggyu then turned to Woohyun’s mother. “But I think we interrupted you. I’m sorry.”

Woohyun snorted and his mother quickly covered him up with a loud laugh. “No, no, it’s fine, we can talk afterwards, right, my Son?”

He bit his lips and clenched his fist. As his mother rubbed his arm, he flashed a smile, insincere, but good enough for the others. “Of course.”

 

Jiyeon watched Woohyun and his mother carefully as four new visitors came. The man in the front embraced him and another man in suites with a woman, dressed in a typical gown for parties like this bowed to Woohyun’s mother.  A groan escaped from her lips as she figured out who the last person was. Bae Suzy - Currently his real girlfriend.

She looked through her shoulder and ordered an orange juice, unlikely for her because she usually took a drink with alcohol in it. An orange juice was only an option when she felt frustrated to something.  

Since Woohyun and Jiyeon had known each other for two years already, she knew him in and out. Woohyun could handle his father, but with the Bae family, it would be hard to tell his parents the truth. She heaved a sigh, kowing that there was no happy ending this time for them.

Her tears would have just came trickling down. But maybe loads and loads of dissappointments have dried them up. Love seemed to be so simple. They love, they felt each other's warmth, they were happy just by the fact that they were breathing the same air under the same sky. Not until she actualized she was not the only one for him. Life had never been fair to her. 

“Suzy…” A voice called. Jiyeon immediately searched for the source of the voice, asking herself who mentioned her rival’s name. “Why can’t you love me?”

 It was from a man, black messy hair, a black shirt and blue jeans. The way he wore it made Jiyeon wonder, if he was willing to attend the party at all. His shirt wasn't properly tucked, leaving parts of the hems out of his pants, the shoes he was wearing was dirty and overused. Jiyeon raised her eyes from the bottom to his face. And she was amazed by his looks.  The man knitted his eyebrows together while staring at one direction without blinking. His eyes were dark with small sprinkles, probably because of the small amount of lights in the room. As Jiyeon viewed them, it reminded her of watching stars at night in a clear sky, with no clouds or skyscrapers preventing her sight. Her gaze wandered to his pointy nose to his thin small lips. The sharp jaw line was a plus to her, not to forget his Adam’s apple and smooth looking skin.

Unbelievable that she lost against Suzy. The man would have been a perfect boy friend, if Woohyun wasn’t her love already. Still, it irked her to know somebody could have feelings for the girl.

“Your orange juice, Miss.” A woman handed her a glass with an exhausted smile.

Jiyeon faked a small smile to her and gulped down to moisten her dry throat. She her upper lip and drained the whole glass in mere seconds. The cold drink flowed down . It tasted sweet and fresh, just how she liked it. Her eyes darted to Woohyun again and found Suzy, hugging his arm. Both her parents and Woohyun's parents laughed joyfully. Jiyeon growled and couldn’t wait to see Suzy's shocked face when she’d know the good news.

“One day I’ll be the one who can have him for me while you could only steal glances at him from afar.” She whispered. “You’ll see… this is a promise.”    

 

 


GIF is not ours! Credit to the owner (click on the GIF)

Credit of the song lyrics: http://beautifulsonglyrics.blogspot.com/2012/08/miwa-hikari-e-lyrics.html#.UVKfYhd0CL0

stacyberd and YippieM: Thanks for subscribing ^_^ I can't thank you on your wall, since it's for friends only :)

Thank you for subscribing, upvoting and commenting! 

 

PB/ N:  And how's the first chapter?? X/ I'm really nervous about that... Hope it was fine :)

Seriously, this video hurts my heart... why don't you do that with Jiyeooooonn? *cry* BUT thanks to this video, I couldn't hold on any longer and continue writing the first chapter.