The Princess and The Cross-dressing Prince

The Princess and The Cross-dressing Prince

 

Once upon a time, in a land far away, there were a King and a Queen who loved each other very much and were considered good and fair rulers. You can imagine how overjoyed they were when they knew that they would have a child and their happiness when they learned it was a perfect little boy. A few years later, the Queen became pregnant again and nine month later:

 

“It’s another boy, brother!” said the King to his younger brother, who smiled and said:

 

“I’m glad. My compliments to you and your wife, dear brother.” The King nodded.

 

“Did you hear little one?” the King said to his barely 2 year old son. “You have a baby brother. Do you want to meet him?” The little boy nodded and ran to his father, who picked him up and took him out of the room. The King’s brother was left alone, after the door closed he turned around and looked out the window, thinking.

 

 

A little more than a year later, the Queen became pregnant again. The king went to his two sons and told them.

 

“You are going to have another brother.”

 

“Oh, no,” said the Queen, with a chuckle. “This one will definitely be a girl.” Well, she was wrong… mostly. She gave birth to another beautiful baby boy.

 

But their happiness would not last long. One night, the castle was attacked. The King hid his wife and their newly born baby and ran to get his two other sons. Everybody fought bravely and the attack was over as suddenly as it had started with no casualties, except for the two young princes who simply disappeared. They sent searching parties but they were never found.

 

The King and Queen cried bitterly for the loss of their sons and they doted on the little prince left and protected him from everything. The little prince was never to be left alone and was guarded by the most trusted people.

 

Prince Tegoshi was happy in the castle. He wasn’t too happy about being watched every second but he was crafty and did manage to escape his guards now and then. He was tutored and trained by the best and pretty much everybody doted on him, being the one surviving of the princes. He had been told that his brothers had died of a disease not long after he was born and was aware that his parents still mourned the loss. He tried to be the responsible son, but he was spoilt and fun loving and well, yes, irresponsible but he couldn’t help it. All he had to do was smile brightly, make a cute face and everybody just gave him what he wanted. Pretty much whatever the prince wanted, the prince got. Still he was a good child, cute and sweet, when in a good mood, even if he was a little given to make pranks on the staff and on his father’s advisors and their family. Still, they were fine with it and even laughed about them and loved him anyway. The only person who kept his distance was his father’s younger brother. He didn’t mistreat him of course but he was a very serious man.

 

So his life went on without many changes and the prince had little to worry about. “You have to start taking things more seriously, my son. I won’t be here forever and you will have to become king. And let’s not forget you will have to marry soon,” he often heard his father say, but the prince didn’t want to hear about that, not about the future with his probably boring promised princess. She had to be boring AND ugly. Why else wouldn’t his father visit or invite her and her father? He didn’t even want to hear her name; he didn’t want the responsibility just yet. His father sighed and just hoped it was a phase.

 

However, one day and without warning, the King became ill. Physicians had no idea what the problem was but he kept getting worse and worse. The prince was scared. His father’s most trustworthy adviser, a man he had known since he was a baby, was away on a diplomatic trip. Finally, his father died. His mother was devastated and he was to be crowned King but his uncle stopped it, saying that the prince was not 18 yet, not that it was impossible, but his uncle argued that he could take the throne temporarily since it wasn’t in the kingdom's interest to have a spoiled king.

 

Those who really knew the prince knew this to be a lie but many others were convinced and without the help of his father’s adviser, there was little the Prince and the Queen could do.

 

Since that day the prince was locked up in his room and his uncle started to try to convince the Queen to marry him. Yes, all very Shakespearean, isn't it? But that was not uncommon.

 

One night, his mother came to see him. She hugged him tenderly and said:

 

“My beautiful son, you must leave.”

 

“Leave?”

 

“Yes. Your uncle, he will try to kill you like he did your brothers.”

 

“What are you saying mother?” Her mother took a deep breath and told him the real story.

 

“… and now I know your uncle was behind that and I believe he will come after you.”

 

“So my brothers may still be alive?”

 

“I doubt that monster let them live, but yes, they may be alive. But do not think about that now. Now you must think about yourself. Leave this place as soon as you can. Don’t worry about me, I will be fine.”

 

 A month later, it was Prince Tegoshi’s 18th birthday, but there was no party, no presents, not even a happy birthday. All he got was an attempt to kill him. Now, the prince might have been spoilt but he was smart and evasive. He outsmarted the hit man and escaped his kingdom, leaving everything he knew and set out to the road with his uncle’s minions behind him.

 

The prince had been travelling for 2 months. Every time he reached a town and thought about staying, he saw one of his uncle’s men and had to move on. He was tired and filthy, covered with the road’s dirt. He came to a stream and decided to take a bath.

 

Bad idea, as it turned out.

 

He took off his clothes and left it on the side of the river together with his bag with the last of the food he’d gotten in the last little village. He got in the water and washed off leisurely for the first time in a week… more like two. The water was cool but not really chilly and he decided to swim a little since he hadn’t seen any of the men after him since he left the village.

 

Unfortunately, he didn’t see the huge wild hog his food had attracted on time. By the time he saw it, it had already eaten his food and was set on destroying his clothes, which apparently set a huge threat to the wild animal. It finally got bored with attacking the offending clothes, the hog left and the prince could get out of the water.

 

His clothes were nothing but small tattered pieces he couldn’t wear. What was he going to do now? He was pondering on this dilemma when he heard voices. Women’s voices. They were coming closer and would catch him ! He jumped back into the water and hid behind some plants.

 

The women were there to wash clothes.

 

“My sister is going to the palace today. They are looking for new servant girls. Some say they need someone to attend the princess.”

 

“I heard and I thought about it, but I don’t think I have the patience to deal with spoiled royalty. And, then, when she marries and has to leave the kingdom, I really don’t want to leave my family… or my husband, you know…”

 

And they started talking about men, so the prince really tried not to hear and started thinking of ways of getting out. He couldn't leave and just walk around . He didn’t mind it that much, but the people he found on the way might object. The water was starting to get cold. He moved slowly, trying not to get their attention and then he saw a bundle of clothes. Without looking, he grabbed the clothes and ran. He heard the screams of the women, but he was sure they had not seen much.

 

He ran until he found another clearing and then he stopped to put on the clothes, which were… women’s clothes. For a moment he just stared at them. Then he sighed. He didn't have much of a choice. He would get new clothes in the next village. Fortunately, the clothes seemed to fit him and if he was being honest with himself it wouldn't be the first time. He did dress up as a girl to get out of the castle without being recognized and he had to admit he did look cute.          

                         

He walked until he finally reached the village where the women were probably coming from, which was not a village at all. It was a city, not as big as his own, but a city none the less. There was a fairly big market and people coming and going. He started to walk around. His feet hurt. He should have stolen some shoes.

 

The market was filled with merchandise and even performances. There was a man enchanting a snake and another telling a story to a big group of children.

 

“Sweetheart, you are in the way.” Said a gruff voice. Prince Tegoshi turned around and froze. It was one of his uncle’s men. He moved away quickly and put his head down. “Hey, cutie,” continued the man. “Are you hungry? we could buy you something to eat and we could… talk.” He finished with a leer and a nasty laugh. Prince Tegoshi shook his head quickly and started to walk. The man followed him. “Come on sweetheart.” Why wouldn’t he give up!? We all know why, he’s just too darn cute in a dress.

 

Prince Tegoshi saw a group of women gathered up ahead and hurried to join them. He got right in the middle of the crowd and lowered his head. From under his lashes he looked at the man, who after a while found another woman to harass. Prince Tegoshi let out a sigh of relief.

 

“Right, is everybody here?” a man asked. There was an affirmative general answer. “Very well, then, get on the cart. We are leaving now.” Prince Tegoshi was pushed forward.

 

“W-wait, where are we going?” He asked, while the women pushed him inside a cart.

 

“What do you mean where are we going? We are going to the castle to look for work.” Prince Tegoshi just stared at the woman who had answered. “You should bind your hair, you won’t give a good impression with your hair loose and messy.”

 

“Eh?”

 

“You are not very smart are you?” The woman said. “Well, good, less competition.”

 

Tegoshi didn’t speak anymore, he was too busy thinking. If he went to the castle, he might be able to talk to the king and tell him what happened and ask for his help. But what if he wasn’t a good man and just gave him back to his uncle? No, he would try to get a job and get to know the people and then decide. Yes, that was a good plan.

 

**********

 

“Ojisama, the fabrics have arrived, in the color you asked them, of course.” The old servant told the princess.

 

“Yes, thank you.” She answered but she hadn't asked for anything.

 

Like everything else it had been her father’s decision. The color and the fashion of her wedding garments, the guests, every detail and of course the groom.

 

Of course it was the rule for the women of her station but her father just HAD to take things to the extreme. It seemed she wasn't fit to decide anything and it seemed she wasn't worth the trouble of even telling her future husband’s name. “I didn't know your mother’s name before I met her and she didn't know mine and we had a wonderful marriage. It’ll be the same for you. Now go attend to your things.” But that was the thing, other people attended to her things and she didn't even have to think to decide what she would wear that day, it was all decided for her depending on what visitor, royal task or whatever she was to do that day.

 

However, that’s not what bothered her. It was the decision on her husband. He would probably be egocentric, self important, ugly, boring and well, a snob like the rest of royalty. Why else would her father not tell her about the man? Why else had they not visited or invited the prince? Yes, her father knew all this and didn’t wish to tell her so she wouldn’t be difficult, until it was too late. In all this she had to draw the line… Except she didn’t know how to draw the line. She had always done what was expected.

 

She walked through the palace, alone. She missed her friends. She had become friends with a French singer (she had done this with his father approval, of course). But now she had fallen in love with Koyama, she had left and he had left to follow her… It was all terribly romantic really. And she was stuck with the ugly lazy prince.

 

Over, her life was over. Yes, she was a little over dramatic, but that’s just how princesses usually are… really. Anyway…

 

After a little self pity, the princess made up her mind: She would go to her father and ask… no, demand that she had a say in the wedding and that she wouldn't marry a total stranger.

 

With a resolute step she went to where her father was.

 

“Father! I need to talk to you!” The princess froze. Her father wasn't alone as she had thought. There were 4 advisers and a small crowd. She had forgotten that today her father would be choosing new servants. He insisted on seeing them all and choosing them himself.

 

She could do this, even in front of all these people, she could do this.

 

“Yes, my dear?”

 

“I want… I need to… I want… a new servant girl.” She finished and she wanted to kick herself.

 

“Of course. I will choose the best one for you” The princess wanted to scream, but of course she didn’t.

 

“Umm, father… I… I want to choose her” the princess said looking down.

 

“Well, yes, it’ll be good for you to know how to choose a servant. It’s good training for when you marry.”

 

Stupid prince! But at least she could decide on her own servant girl. That was something, she supposed.

 

She walked in front of all the women. They were of different ages and they all seemed very proper. They all looked down when she looked at them except for one, who was looking at everything: her father, his advisers, her.

 

When the girl, who seemed to be around her age, looked at her, instead of looking down, she smiled, it was a little shy but still bright. The princess got a closer look, the girl had big brown eyes that had a nice shape, and her hair was black and straight and was not bound like the rest of the women’s hair. She was a little on the tall side. The Princess looked down at the girl’s slim figure and noticed she didn't have any shoes, her feet were filthy and they had to be bruised if he had come all the way barefoot.

 

“This one. I want this one.” She said. She could see her father’s disapproval. “She can come with me now.” With that she grabbed the girl’s hand and pulled her with her. “Thank you, father.” Said the Princess with a bow and went away with her new servant girl before her father could oppose.

 

*******

 

Prince Tegoshi was standing among all the women and he was miserable. He was cold and his feet hurt and he wanted a bath and he missed his castle. He took a deep breath. That would take him nowhere. He had to observe. He looked at the king. He had a kind face, but looks could be deceiving. He was proof of that, since no one had realized he was a man. He also noticed that the servants treated the King with respect and deference but not fear, like they did with his uncle. That was a good sign. Then the door opened and a girl came in.    

 

“Father! I need to talk to you!” Father? The Princess. She stopped and looked at the people in the room and her eyes got wider. Prince Tegoshi could see she was beautiful, but before he could get a better look she turned around.

 

“Yes, my dear?”

 

“I want… I need to… I want… a new servant girl.” She finished. Coming in like that just to ask for something she was probably going to get anyway seemed a little over the top to Prince Tegoshi.

 

“Of course. I will choose the best one for you,” said the king.

“Umm, father… I… I want to choose her” Urgh, controlling like every other royal woman he’d met, except for his mother.

 

“Well, yes, it’ll be good for you to know how to choose a servant. It’s good training for when you marry.” Good luck to that poor bastard if she was going to make that entrance every time she wanted to speak to him.

 

She walked to their group and started to look at the women. Prince Tegoshi had the opportunity to look at her now. She was really beautiful (which was not always the case with princesses; some are in fact not pretty at all). She had beautiful light brown eyes a cute nose and full rosy lips and her hair was a glossy chocolate brown. Prince Tegoshi liked chocolate. Her eyes finally found him and he started to look all around him so she wouldn't catch him staring. But in the end he had to look back at her. She was looking at him from head to toe. Would she realize? He held her stare and smiled.

 

“This one. I want this one.” She said. He could see her father’s disapproval. Of course, he was filthy and bare foot “She can come with me now.” With that she grabbed his hand and pulled him with her. “Thank you, father.” And after that he was following the princess. They ended up in her chambers, he supposed, where they were met by a very nasty looking woman. She bowed to the princess and then looked at him with disgust.

 

“You highness, what is this?”

 

“She is my new servant girl.”

 

The woman clearly did not approve. Nevertheless, she said, “Very well, I’ll take her to the servants quarters to bathe,” she said this with a sneer, “and I will train her myself, your highness.”

 

All Prince Tegoshi heard was the word “bath.” Oh, a bath would be so nice.

 

“No!” said the princess. “She will stay here and I will train her.”

 

“Your highness, that is not your place.”

 

“Who is the princess here? You or me?” The other woman said nothing. “Very well, then she will stay here. And draw a bath for me.” The older woman nodded and left.

 

Stupid princess! That selfish brat had cost him a bath and now he was under her orders! He would not stand this for long.

 

The door opened and some servants came in to draw the bath for “your highness.”

Ah, yes he pitied the poor bastard who married her.

 

 

The princess felt terribly guilty about how she had treated the older woman but she’d had enough. Omasa-san was an old servant and she practically ran everything and if she took the girl she would teach her to look down and tell her that it was not proper to talk to the princess and that was not what she wanted. The princess realized she could not force the girl to be her friend, but at least she wouldn't treat her like some crystal on the shelf, all careful and barely looking at her.

 

The girl needed clothes and shoes so after the servants went away, the princess ran out of the room and went to where the servants’ clothes were kept and took some clothes for the girl and rushed back.

 

 

Prince Tegoshi was left alone. The princess had run out of the room as soon as she had dismissed the servants. She was crazy, apart from egocentric and inconsiderate. Prince Tegoshi was thinking that he would get out of there as soon as possible when the door opened and the princess entered. She stayed near the door holding pieces of clothes. Great, though Prince Tegoshi, now she’s gonna make me wash her clothes.

 

She looked hesitant and finally said: “I’m sorry about before, I realized late that I hadn't told you anything before I ran out of the room, and you must be confused. Sorry, I can be a scatter brain like that, everybody says so. Not to my face, of course, but they do have a point I guess.” She said with a self conscious smile. She lowered her head but Prince Tegoshi could still see she was blushing a little. It was quite adorable. “Um, I brought you these clothes and a pair of shoes. Your feet must be sore.”

 

Prince Tegoshi just nodded. “Okay,” continued the princess, “go take a bath and change your clothes.” She ended with a beautiful smile. “Oh, wait, what is your name?”

 

“Tegoshi Yu…” How stupid was he? He had been so surprised by her sudden kindness that he was about to give her his real name. She didn't seem to recognize the name, though and he had already said it so there was no changing his family name now, “…ko. Tegoshi Yuko.”

 

The princess smiled and said “Okay, Yuko. Go take your bath, then we can talk if it’s okay.”

 

Prince Tegoshi went to take his bath. Maybe he had been a little mistaken about the princess. 

 

After the bath and having new clothes, Prince Tegoshi was feeling better and a lot less cranky and ended up talking to the princess, who turned out to be funny and very nice. He had never met any aristocrat who would speak with a servant girl, who they had just met by the way, and treat her… well, as a person, almost an equal. It was nice, refreshing. Anyway, Prince Tegoshi realized that she was lonely. She hadn’t spoken much about them, but she had had only two friends and now they were gone. In turn, he had told her about himself (with a few changed details, of course). He didn't tell her about his uncle, but actually wanted to. Finally, it was time to go to sleep and the princess showed him a small but comfortable room.

 

“This was my nurse’s room. You can stay here.”

 

“Thank you,” he said in a soft voice, always making sure to make it feminine. He had the impulse to hug her but restrained himself. She may be very friendly but she still thought him a servant girl… and thank god she didn't know he was a man…

 

********

 

Prince Tegoshi woke up to angry sunlight and a shrill voice.

 

“Is this how you manage your maid, your highness?” said the shrill voice that made Tegoshi want to scream, off with their heads! “You, girl, get up and start with your chores.”

 

Chores? What was the soon to be beheaded voice talking about? And then he remembered. It was the first time in months that he woke up in a comfortable bed and for a moment he thought he was home. He wasn't.

 

“What are you waiting for? You've slept long enough.”

 

Prince Tegoshi got up and followed the voice which actually belonged to the evil looking woman from the night before. “I assume you know nothing of attending to a lady of this station, so I’ll help. Pay attention. Honestly your highness, you will have to do better when choosing the servants if you want to make a good wife and queen to your husband.”

 

Oh, right, her arranged marriage. Stupid prince. The princess had told him about the arrangement and that her father refused to even give her the name or say anything about him. That seemed, at the very least, silly to Prince Tegoshi. Granted, he knew nothing about his own arranged marriage but that hadn't been his father’s fault, he had been too self absorbed and careless to pay attention. He had assumed his father would always be there… Tears were threatening to come, but the prince forced them back. That wouldn't help and if he had to keep up his charade he had to pay attention and… Stare at the nearly princess. Holly… okay, look somewhere else. The ceiling, the ceiling was nice.

 

“What are you doing? Bring the clothes I've prepared! Are you listening?” Oh right, the woman was speaking to him. He looked around and found the clothes. He grabbed them and went to the princess and the evil witch (soon to be beheaded shrill woman, was way too long for a nickname). Of course he was still looking up the ceiling, so he tripped and fell on his head.

 

The evil witch mumbled something. Tegoshi managed to get to them and started helping with the clothes. The princess was shorter than him so it was easy to keep his eyes above her head… that gave him a clear vision of the evil witch’s cold eyes. Okay, he could look a little lower. He lowered his eyes slowly until he found her eyes. The princess was looking at him and gave him a smile and a look that was somehow encouraging and apologetic (it’s one of those things you had to be there to understand). He smiled back and his heart started beating faster… okay eyes a little higher. Her forehead, there, that was good. Somehow he managed to get through it without looking… much and without touching anything inappropriate… mostly.

 

 

 

 

Somehow Prince Tegoshi managed to survive the first week. However he was still shocked at how different the princess acted when it was just them and when she was in front of other people. When they were alone they talked about anything and he often found himself wishing it was already night so she could be her talkative, funny self.

 

When she was with other people however, she hardly ever spoke, she just nodded and smiled. Not that anybody bothered to ask her anything or really talk to her, they all just seem to expect her to sit there and look pretty. She could do that, of course, and was very good at it, but Prince Tegoshi knew she was so much more. She was funny and smart and well, lonely. That had been why she had taken him with her, she desperately needed someone to talk to. And she would have to live like this once he married that oaf of a prince.

 

Well, no, he had seen enough. He was almost sure that her father was actually a good man, despite the fact that he treated the princess as little more than a ornament, and he decided to come out and say who he was and then, he would try to get the engagement annulled and well… marry her himself. He was way better that the stupid oaf who had been engaged to her and hadn't even bothered to come once.

 

Yes, Prince Tegoshi would tell the truth but not dressed as a girl. If he did that the king would probably… well, shout “off with his head” – considering the fact that he had been helping his daughter dress for the past week, that would be an understandable reaction – before he had the chance to explain.

 

The perfect opportunity came when a ball was announced. There would be a lot of people and he could dress as a man and come out and try to talk to the king. If anything went wrong, he would get lost in the crowd and leave… though that thought made his chest feel tight.

 

So he would wait the two weeks.

 

******

 

Two weeks later the princess was ready and the Evil Witch had gone.

 

“How do I look?” She asked.

 

Prince Tegoshi looked at the princess, “You…” his voiced sounded too deep even to his own ears.

 

Girl, you are supposed to be a girl. He coughed a little and said in a feminine voice: “Beautiful, but you always look beautiful.”

 

The princess giggled. “Thank you. That’s the whole idea, I have to look beautiful. That’s my only job.” She said laughing.

 

Then it was time she left and servant girl Yuko had the night off. He quickly went to the place he had stashed the men clothes he had stolen… no, borrowed and changed.

 

He sneaked in the party and tried to look down most of the time in case someone recognized him. After all it was just a change of clothes and hair do really. He saw the Princess sitting almost motionless as usual and next to her was the King on a higher throne. He had to figure out a way to talk to him, away from the Princess. Nobody recognized him so far and it wasn't surprising since this type of people, the type of people he had been really, never looked closely to a servant, so Yuko went mostly unnoticed. But the princess would notice. Tegoshi was very sure of that.

 

Towards the end of the night, he saw the king talking to a man. The king nodded and stood up. Prince Tegoshi followed them to one of the huge gardens. He saw the king talking a little more to the man, who the prince now recognized as one of the guards. The King left and Tegoshi was ready to follow him when he saw a figure approaching. When the light hit the man’s face Tegoshi recognized his uncle’s man, the one who had come after him the day he arrived at the kingdom.

 

What were they talking about? Did the king know who that person was? Soon the two men left in different directions and Tegoshi was left frozen in his place. He didn't know what to do. He stood there for a while. He was about to leave when he saw another shorter figure.

 

Tegoshi was not sure he could take any more surprises. When the figure got closer he saw it was the Princess. Okay, that he could take. He saw her walk around and finally sit next to an artificial pond looking down on the reflection. Tegoshi heard her sigh. He moved to leave but his foot caught something and he ended up dropping a big flowerpot.

 

“Who’s there?”

 

Tegoshi kept quiet and looked for a way out.

 

“If you don’t tell me who you are I’ll yell for the guards.” She said in a frightened but firm voice.

 

“No, please. I’m not going to hurt you.” He said.

 

“Then, come out where I can see you.” Tegoshi took a deep breath and got out of his hiding place.

 

The princess got closer and her eyes went wide.

 

“Yuko? Why are you dressed like that?” Looking at her big warm eyes he didn’t know what to say.

 

 “My name isn't Yuko. I’m not Yuko… I’m… Yuya.” The princess just looked at him and the lie just slipped out. “I’m Yuko’s brother. Twin brother.”

 

She frowned a little. “Yuko never said she had a twin brother,” Yeah, cause he had just thought about it.

 

“Well, I made her promise not to say anything about me. I mean, there are people looking for us.”

 

“She told me about her uncle.” She said still with a little frown that Tegoshi wanted to smooth with his thumb. Instead he cleared his throat and said:

 

“Sh-she trusts you then.” Before he could go on they heard someone approaching. He hid in the shadows and the princess whispered:

 

“Did you sneak in?” He nodded. “Okay, follow me.” She led him through the garden.

 

“You really know your way around.” He said, she just chuckled. They ended up near a wall.

 

“This is a good way out. Nobody will see you.”

 

“You are too trusting. I could use this against you or your father.”

 

“Will you?”

 

“No, but still”

 

“Well I trust Yuko and you are her brother. That is obvious, you look identical.” She said with a laugh. “Now, did you come to talk to your sister?” She was looking at him and he hated himself for doing this but shook his head. He couldn't tell her all the truth but he could tell her part of it.

 

“I came to see if anybody could help me, us. Our uncle is still looking and well, I… We have nowhere to go.”

 

“I could talk to my father. I don’t know if I can be much help but I can at least get him to talk to you.”

 

That would be no good. If in fact her father knew his uncle it might be dangerous for her.

 

“No. I-I…” He sighed. “I saw one of my uncle’s men here and I think it would be safer to keep quiet for now.”

 

“He was at the party?”

 

“Yes, but don’t worry, he left now. Trust me it’s better not to say anything.” Why was he telling her all this? He was lying and putting her at risk and making a general mess. “I’ll go and Yuko will leave tomorrow…”

 

“No, Yuko is safe here. You can’t just make her leave. Do you know her state when she got here?”

 

“Yes, and trust me if I could have made her more comfortable I would have.”

 

“I’m not criticizing. But she is safe here and, well we can keep you hidden until you figure out what to do.” Prince Tegoshi was speechless, which was saying something and on an impulse he hugged her.

 

 

 

 One minute she was looking at Yuko’s brother and the next she was in his arms… and it was nice.

 

“Thank you,” he whispered close to her ear and his breath sent shivers down her spine.

 

“You’re welcome,” she whispered back. They lingered like that for a while, probably longer than they should and eventually ended the hug.

 

“You better get back. I’ll come back here tomorrow… would you meet me?” He said. She nodded and ran back before he saw her blush.

 

She got to her room and called for Yuko, she wasn't there. She changed into her nightgown – she hated when the servants helped her (see, she really wasn't that spoiled) – and waited for Yuko. Finally, Yuko came quietly through the door.

 

“Yuko! You are here! You’ll never guess… I met your brother. He’s fine. And he’ll meet us tomorrow around this hour… well earlier.”

 

“I can’t. I have to help the other servants. But I trust you. You go and meet him and you can tell me what he says… that is if that’s okay with you.”

 

“Yes, of course.” She wasn't ready to tell Yuko this, but she really wanted to see Tegoshi-san again.

 

******

 

Prince Tegoshi was waiting at the usual place. There was thunder and lightning but it wasn't raining yet. He had been meeting the princess every night here and spent all day with her as “Yuko” and it only made him feel worse for lying to her and made it more difficult to tell her the truth. And he was no closer to making a decision on what to do.

 

He knew his uncle’s men were here. He had left the castle with other servants and seen them around.

 

He had to leave but couldn't. If he left he wouldn't see her again and she would end up marrying the fat lazy prince (that’s how the princess and Yuko called the fiancé—so yes, he was manipulating the situation, but only a little) and she didn’t want to and, more importantly, he really didn't want her to. But what could he do? Yes, he was a prince but he had nowhere to go and dangerous people were after him. He couldn't stay with her.

 

He saw her coming. She was dressed with one of Yuko’s dresses; in case someone saw them they would think they were servants. It looked long and a little tight on her since he was taller and had a leaner figure but she looked cute… more than cute. This was bad.

 

“Hello,” she said looking up at him and his heart gave one hard beat as usual.

 

“Hello,” A lightning illuminated them. “You should go back before the rain starts.”

 

“I know. But listen. I've been talking with Yuko and I really think we should go to my father.”

 

Yes, they had been talking about that (they didn't just bad mouth the poor prince she would marry) and there were really two options: either go to the king or leave.

 

“I think it’s better if I go… if I and Yuko go.” Her face fell and for like the thousandth time in the week he wanted to kiss her, so he ended up deciding that he would talk to the King but he would not keep putting her at risk. He would go alone without saying anything about her at first and see what happened. “I’m sorry, but it’s the best for now. But there is something else I wanted to tell…” That’s when heavy rain started to fall. The princess grabbed his hand and started running. He followed her, by now he knew that the princess knew every little nook of the place. She had told him (him, not Yuko) that she likes to run away from everything and she had to find a new place every time someone found her.

 

She led him to a greenhouse and they went in. The place was un-kept and the plants were overgrown and dark. Creepy, thought prince Tegoshi but acting brave nonetheless because the Princess was there and looking really unaffected by the combination of the thunderstorm and the creepy dark place with big plants that could be hiding bugs… Tegoshi stopped thinking before he embarrassed himself and looked for the Princess. She was lighting some lamps and now he could at least see her.

 

“What is this place?” He asked.

 

“A greenhouse.” She answered casually.

 

“Well, thank you, but I could see that for myself.”

 

“Okay, an abandoned greenhouse.”

 

“Thank you, it would have been difficult to come up with that myself.” He said lifting an eyebrow.

 

The princess laughed. “It’s been abandoned for a long time. It’s away from the castle and the smallest, so no one bothered to keep it up. I guess they’ll tear it down eventually. For now, no one will see us and it will keep us from the rain. It’s a bit cold, though. Are you okay?”

 

“Of course,” Prince Tegoshi answered when, in fact he would be cursing and whining about the temperature, about being surrounded by so much overgrown nature and about being generally miserable, had the princess not been there.

 

“Come closer to the lamp.” She said. The rain got heavier outside and Tegoshi sat next to the princess and got close… you know, just to keep warm not because she smelled nice… “So you were going to say something.”

 

“Eh?”

 

“You said that you and Yuko were leaving.” She said in a very sad voice.

 

“Yes. And I can’t say much now but… Don’t marry that stupid prince.”

 

“I can’t really decide that, I wouldn't marry him if I had a choice.”

 

“I know, but I don’t want you to marry him… Marry me instead.” Okay, so it wasn't much of a proposal but that’s what came out. Her eyes got huge and her jaw dropped a little. “I know you don’t know much about me, but you can’t marry that guy. I know you think I’m a peasant and…”

 

“Yes.”

 

“…I can’t tell you… wait, what?”

 

“Yes. I’ll go with you and Yuko and…”

 

“No, you are not coming, not now. I-I’ll come back for you and talk to your father.”

 

“If you talk to him then he’ll never allow it.”

 

“He will. I’ll make him, I swear.”

 

“Okay,” she said looking down.

 

Prince Tegoshi took her gently by her chin and made her look at him. “What is it?”

 

“Nothing,” she said with a smile. But it was her I’m-surrounded-by-people-and-I-have-to-smile-because-that’s-what’s-expected kind of smile. He hated that smile, it had a way too long name and it wasn't nearly a beautiful as her real smile.

 

“Liar,” he said, “tell me.”

 

“You are coming back, aren't you? You are not just saying this?” She had a look of mistrust, that was a lot cuter than the smile, but still he didn't like it.

 

“Why would I do that?”

 

The princess just shrugged. “People leave and move on with their lives, and that’s okay but I…” Since Tegoshi had no idea how to reassure her he just did what he had been wanting to do all this time and kissed her.

 

“I will come back.” He said against her lips.

 

“Okay,” she answered and kissed him back.

 

******

 

As we can all imagine, they got really distracted and that was too bad since otherwise they might have noticed the man looking through one of the glasses. He had been angry that the boss had put him here. He thought the Prince might be hiding in this kingdom and possibly in this castle, but what would the damn kid be doing here?

 

And when it started to rain he had gotten downright homicidal. He was about to go in the greenhouse when two people, kids really, no older that 18 maybe 19 came inside so he had to stay outside since he had orders not to be seen by anybody. The two kids seemed to be servants from the castle probably looking for a place to be alone. He couldn't hear them through the rain, but when the girl lighted a few lamps he could see them clearly. The girl was very pretty and she kinda seemed familiar.

 

And then he saw the boy and the man smiled. He recognized him and when he told the boss that he had found the brat he was going to be a very happy man. He kept watching the prince kissing the servant girl. Mmhh, taking advantage of maids, he could like the kid, the man thought with a smile. But the two bores only kissed. After a while the rain let out. The two love birds (insert ironic tone) put the lamps out and left the greenhouse. The man risked getting a little closer so that he could hear them.

 

****

 

“So, are you leaving tomorrow?” Asked the princess.

 

“I should.” She nodded and he added. “Of course, Yuko can leave first and we could meet here. To say good bye.” He finished putting his forehead against hers.

 

“That’s a good idea,” she answered with a smile. He kissed her again. He did that a lot in the last hour or so that they had stayed in the greenhouse, not that she was complaining.

 

“You better go,” he said against her lips. They pulled apart reluctantly. Before she could get far, he grabbed her wrist and brought her close and kissed her again. She put her arms around his neck and kissed him back as they both deepened the kiss. They stayed a while close together, their noses touching. What should she call him now? They were engaged… kind of.

 

“Yuya?” He smiled widely. “I should really get going.”

 

“Yes, you should.”

 

She chuckled. “You have to let me go first.”

 

“Never.” He answered.

 

Eventually, he did let her go.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” She said and went her way.

 

 

Prince Tegoshi watched her go and went the same direction through another path. He was faster so he usually managed to sneak inside the room before she arrived. He hated lying to her but if she knew she might tell the wrong person and his uncle might hurt her to get to him. He had to solve this mess before he told her the truth and hope she forgave him.

 

****

 

The man went straight to his boss.

 

“And he was with a girl?” He said.

 

“Yes, and they are meeting tomorrow night in the same place. He is going away with some Yuko girl.” The man answered.

 

“So he has two girls helping him?” The man laughed. “And I always thought… well never mind what I thought. Do you think he cares for this girl he’s meeting?”

 

“I’d say so. They took forever to say goodbye. So sweet it almost made me gag”

 

“Take another man and go to the meeting place. Bring him… and if the girl goes first… take her and leave this note… let’s see how much he cares for this little maid… just for fun.”

 

*****

 

Prince Tegoshi managed to get to the room before the Princess. He had just started to change when he heard her come in. He would pretend to be asleep, he just couldn’t keep lying after tonight, he would leave in the morning. And that’s what he did.

 

 

 

The next morning the Princess woke up. Yuko was already gone. She had left a letter explaining that she had to go early “but I will see you again. I’m sorry, for everything.” What was she sorry about? Probably leaving without saying good bye, she would get her for that.

 

The Princess was sad but knowing that she would see Yuya that night, made it better. At least she could say goodbye to him until he came back for her. That thought was the only thing that got her through the day. The Evil Witch (Yuko gave her the title and it had stuck) had made her day miserable saying how she would have to learn how to choose good servants and not girls who disappear in the middle of the night “probably after some boy” the woman ended with a sneer.

 

Finally night came and the Princess went to the greenhouse. It was dark so she lit one of the lamps and at that moment she saw a shadow.

 

“Yuya?”

 

Someone grabbed her and put a huge hand over and nose. She tried to fight him but he was too strong and she couldn't breathe, soon her vision started to blur and everything went black.

 

 

 

Prince Tegoshi got to the greenhouse and one of the lamps was lit but the Princess was not there. It took him a while to notice the note. His heart started beating faster. He had taken her, he had her and he had no idea what to do. He had to go to the King but he wouldn't listen. The minute he told him that he had been passing as his daughter’s servant girl and that now she was in danger because of him (not to mention what he’d been doing the night before with her in the greenhouse). No, first he had to figure out where his uncle and his men were and then figure out a way to get her out.

 

The guard. He had seen his uncle’s man with one of the guards. He went back to the Princess room and took some of her jewelry, only the ones he knew had no meaning to her, and went looking for the guard.

 

He was lucky. After following the guard, he led him to the place where they were hiding the Princess. There were several men. He could tell she was there because he could hear her screaming from the inside of a room. Wow, he didn't know she had that kind of vocabulary and man did she have a good set of lungs.

 

Prince Tegoshi could see 7 men inside. One of them stood up and went to the door of the room.

 

“Shut up or I’ll give you something to scream about!” he shouted. The princess kept on shouting until the man started opening the door, then, she went quiet.

 

Prince Tegoshi had seen enough. He had to get her out. He didn't trust his uncle, so meeting with him was out of the question and even though he was well trained and sturdier than he looked, he couldn't go against 7 big men all alone. He had to come up with something else.

 

At that moment he saw one of the men go out. He followed him to a tavern. He asked for alcohol (a lot) the keeper gave him some and said he would send the rest with the girls. The man left but Prince Tegoshi stayed and I think we all know what he came up with.

 

He bribed one of the girls, who gave him her clothes and some make up (we know our Prince Tegoshi, if he was going to do it he would do the best job he could) and one of her blond wigs and dressed like that – and looking really cute if he may say so himself – he went back to the place where his uncle’s men were.

 

He stood at the door, took a deep breath and knocked.

 

“Well, hello cutie. Come in.” Prince Tegoshi smiled shyly, lowered his eyes and went in. He went to a table and put the sake there. One of the men grabbed him by the waist and sat him on his lap.

 

“Why don’t you make yourself comfortable, sweetheart?” He said and his breath nearly knocked prince Tegoshi out. He managed to giggle and get up.

 

“Why don’t I pour some sake first? And then we wait for a few of my friends.” He said in a breathy voice and then batted his eyelashes. That got chuckles from the men but they kept their hands for themselves for the time being. Prince Tegoshi served them the alcohol and kept serving until the men started to fall asleep. You see, he hadn't only bought women’s clothes and make up, he had also bought a sleeping powder.

 

The men had been drinking before and really didn't suspect anything. Now they were all sleeping so Prince Tegoshi went to the room where the Princess had been. He couldn't hear her and was afraid that she had been hurt or taken away. Before he reached the door, a big arm grabbed him by the waist. This was getting old; did women get grabbed like that all the time?

 

“Hey, it’s just you and me now. Now how ‘bout you give us a kiss?” The man turned him around. He was huge, may be that was why the powder was taking longer to affect him, and he was now trying to kiss him.

 

This was not happening. Oh, God, if you save me from this I’ll never cross-dress again! He thought and right at that moment the man fell on him, unconscious.

 

With an effort Prince Tegoshi rolled the man off and saw the Princess standing above him. The Princess opened her eyes wide. Tegoshi sat up and hugged her tight. He was so relieved she was okay and he would have kissed her but she said:

 

“Yuko? What are you doing here? Are you okay?” She said hugging him back. Right, he was Yuko, now and kissing her would look a little weird and now was not the time to have that conversation.

 

“Yes. I came to save you.” He said.

 

“Oh, I started to save myself. Are you alone?”

 

“No time to talk, we have to go.”

 

“Yes, yes, definitely no time to talk.” Said a deep voice. They both turned around and standing in front of them, blocking the door was his uncle. “So he sent a maid?” He continued with a laugh. He looked around with disgust, “I guess I need new men. Well, I have two pretty little girls now. He might show up now.”

 

“He?” The princess asked.

 

“My nephew, whom you seem to be… acquainted with. I thought you were a maid, but I recognize you. Most unfortunate, Princess. I can’t let you go to babble everything to your father. Such a pity.”

 

Prince Tegoshi grabbed the Princess and put himself in front of her.

 

“Ah, the little maid… Wait a… what the…” His uncle walked up to him, grabbed him by the neck and yanked the wig. He looked closely. “You little brat!” He screamed and threw him against a wall.

 

“Yuko!” Screamed the Princess. Prince Tegoshi felt pain explode in his head and back but luckily he was rather sturdy.

 

“Yuko?” His uncle asked and started laughing. “She doesn't know?” He laughed harder. “This is priceless. What did you tell her? Well it doesn't matter. It’s almost too bad that I have to kill you both. I’m sorry YUYA but I really do have to, nothing personal. Actually, yes, I never liked you or anyone in your family, really.”

 

His uncle went to him and picked him up so he was standing. “Good bye.” He said lifting a dagger.

 

“Yuya!” The Princess shouted and threw one of the men’s swords. Prince Tegoshi grabbed it and ran his uncle through.

 

“I guess you always underestimated me.” He said.

 

His uncle fell. He was already dead. He looked at the princess and started to go to her but she backed up.

 

“I’m sorry,” he said. “I wanted to tell you the truth but…”

 

“But you didn't trust me.”

 

“No! I mean, I did trust you, once I got to know you and then I didn't want you to hate me, so I couldn't  I was still going to tell you but, my uncle was after me and I didn't want to put you in danger.”

 

“So you lied and decided that I wasn't strong enough or smart enough to decide for myself.”

 

“No, I… I…”

 

“Just leave. Your uncle is not after you anymore, there is nothing keeping you here. Good bye, Tegoshi-san.” The Princess turned her back on him and left.

 

*****

 

After that he just left. He couldn't go back to the castle and face all the people he had deceive. He went back to his own kingdom. The way back took a lot less time since he wasn't being hunted.

 

He was, of course, welcomed. The state of things was not good, but luckily, his father’s most trusted adviser and his son, who was also his best friend, had come back. With a lot of work, things got better and Prince Tegoshi got worse. He missed her so much and he couldn't stop thinking about her and her hurt expression the last time he’d seen her.

 

“What is it, son?” He heard his mother say. He just shook his head. He hadn't explained the details of what had happened to anyone. He turned around and saw his mother with Koyama, the adviser’s son, and his new wife, who was a French singer. It had been a bit of a scandal when he had come back, and it would have been worse if the king hadn't died, the Queen hadn't been locked up and the crown Prince hadn't gone missing. As it was, people frowned on it but welcomed Koyama’s help sorting out the mess. And Tegoshi actually liked her.

 

“Maybe talking about it will do you good. Maybe we could help,” said Koyama. After thinking about it Prince Tegoshi started telling his tale. They did laugh at a couple of places and his mother looked appalled at some others. When he finished they were all silent.

 

Koyama and his mother looked at each other.

 

“What do you want?” asked his mother.

 

“I want to go back and beg her to forgive me.”

 

“But?”

 

“But she doesn’t want to see me and I can’t blame her. And she is promised to someone else and she may be even married by now. And I know that I never cared about it before but I was also promised and can we really afford to break that contract? No, we can’t.”

 

“But I thought…” started to say Koyama’s wife. Koyama gently took her hand. She looked up and he smiled at her. She lifted her eyebrows but said nothing else.

 

“I see.” Koyama said. “If that is how you feel, I’ll bring the papers right away and we can start the preparations.” Both his mother and Koyama’s wife smiled a little, it was almost imperceptible.

 

Koyama came back with the papers and Tegoshi looked at them for the first time in his life.

 

******

 

The Princess had spent the first days after Tegoshi left going from raving mad to crying. She was mad at him and missed him, which made her even madder at him. After some time she had come to terms with it.

 

She had told people that she had been kidnapped for ransom but had escaped before they could ask for it. The man who had helped her just disappeared and refused to answer more questions. She never mentioned Yuya or Yuko.

 

She had also come to terms that her wedding was happening. She had met and fallen in love with someone who had lied to her from the moment they met. She had been so stupid. She had been willing to go away with him and he hadn't even told her he loved her. She didn't even know who he really was. So now, she accepted whatever her father wanted, maybe he would have better taste.

 

The day had come. It was time to meet her fat, lazy, stupid, self indulgent soon to be husband (hey, just because she accepted her wedding hadn't changed what she thought.)

 

She was prepared and then taken to the great hall where she would meet him. She had expected a huge parade or something, princes had the tendency to be flashy, but she had been wrong. He came with a few soldiers, a woman who might have been his mother, the Queen by her clothes, and when they got closer she could recognize Koyama and Uguisu-chan (that was a nickname Koyama had given her and since it suited her it had stuck). At least she would get to live close to her friends once she married.

 

She focused on the prince. He was looking down so she couldn't see his face but he didn't look fat. Actually he was fit. Maybe he was a sickling who never got out of bed (yes, she was a little negative, but can you blame her after telling Prince Tegoshi to leave?) When they walked in she saw that he was a little taller that her but still a little short, specially next to Koyama’s height.

 

And then, he looked up. It was him. She was speechless. She couldn't believe it, she wanted to jump from her throne and hug him. And she wanted to yell at him and be mad for lying to her and the disappearing into thin air. So she settled for staying in her place and not embarrassing her father.

 

“Welcome,” her father said. “I’m happy to finally meet you. I recently heard about your father, my condolences. He was a good friend and an extraordinary man. Now that you are here we can join the two families as we have always wanted.”

 

“Thank you, your Highness.” He said and the princess heart skipped a beat. “And I apologize but I’m not here to fulfill a contract.”

 

The princess heart stopped. So he didn't love her after all.

 

He continued: "I want to marry the woman I love, but not if she is forced to do so by a contract." He told the king who was looking more and more confused and had noticed his daughter crying and now wanted to beat that confusing prince till he either went away or married his daughter like he is supposed to.

 

And then Tegoshi talked directly to the princess: "I lied to you, and every day I did it, it killed me but I couldn't stand to lose you. I ended up losing you anyway. I'm here to give you a choice. You can refuse to marry me and I won't hold you to the contract. Or you can give me a second chance. I know I'm not perfect but I love you and I always will, so maybe you can see past what I've done."

 

 

She was frozen in her place. The Queen got closer and said: “If I may give an advice. Accept him as your husband and then you can make him pay for as long as you wish.” She said in a very serious voice but looked at her son with affection.

 

The Princess thought that she could see past what he’d done… and the fact that he looked better in a dress than her, but she didn't really mind that.

 

The princess approached him with all the elegance of her station, her face was unreadable. She looked up into his eyes and huge smile spread on her face.

 

"Yes" she said and kissed him in front of everybody and not exactly a peck on the cheek either, which was a huge scandal at the time.

 

*****

 

When they were alone, Tegoshi told her the whole story.

 

“So, you see, now I’m King. Though, I may not. I may have two older brothers somewhere and I do want to look for them and they might want their rightful place so you may want to reconsider…”

 

She kissed him to shut him up.

 

“Baka,” she said. “I was willing to marry you when I thought you were a servant, silly.”

 

“Oh right.” He said and kissed her before someone realized they had disappeared together alone and came looking for them.

 

******

 

And so, the princess and Prince… sorry, King Tegoshi got married.

 

He would sometimes still dress as a girl, not keeping that promise to god was one of his flaws apparently, but he liked it and the princess seemed to like it, too (and it wouldn't be fair for the world if Tegoshi stopped cross dressing)

 

But they did get married and they went back to his Kingdom where they lived happily ever after.