Proud

Proud

 

You groaned when you heard your phone vibrating against your bedside table. With your eyes still closed, you d around for the square and head it up to your ear when your hand managed to wrap around it.

“Hello?” your voice was laced with sleep.

“Can I come over?”

You didn’t even need to look at the caller ID or ask who it was. You could recognize that voice anywhere.

“Woohyun, it’s the middle of the night. Why are you calling me?” you slurred as you rolled onto your stomach and buried your face into your pillow.

“Can I come over?” he repeated in a flat tone, ignoring your question completely.

You let out a sigh and sat up, “Fine. You’re so lucky we’ve been friends since middle school or I would kill your right now.”

---

You sat crossed legged on your couch, a cup of tea in your hand to keep you awake as you waited for Woohyun to make his way to your apartment.

Woohyun was the only person that you would ever do something like this for. Dang your hidden unrequited crush on him. If he wasn't so cute and adorable, you would have hung up on him and returned back to dream land long ago.

But there you were, sitting quietly, sipping your tea, and listening to the second hand tick on the clock on the wall opposite of you. You puffed out your cheeks as you stared at the short and long hands, 2:39.

When a knock on the door echoed through your quiet apartment, you climbed off the couch and placed your mug on the coffee table. You waddled towards the door, rubbing sleep out of your eyes on the way. You flipped the lock latch to the side and twisted the doorknob.

Woohyun slipped past you, kicking off his shoes without a word before rushing into your living room.

“‘Good morning, ______.’ Good morning, to you too Woohyun,” you muttered to yourself as you followed him, “‘How are you?’ Oh I’m doing just dandy for three o’clock in the morning, thanks for asking.”

“I kissed a girl,” Woohyun said abruptly.

You stared at him, confused by his sudden confession, “What?”

“I kissed on girl on set today,” he explained.

“Oh, yeah, you guys are filming your new music video,” you nodded, sitting back on the couch.

Woohyun threw himself besides you with a sigh, but didn’t say anything more.

“So you woke me up and came over to my apartment just to tell me that you kissed a girl on set today?” you sent him a glare.

“It took me twenty takes to get it right,” he mumbled.

“So you’re telling me,” your breathing started to get heavy as frustration and disbelief coursed through your veins, “that you woke me up and came over to my apartment just to tell me that you kissed a girl twenty times?!”

“No, I kissed her only once, but I took me twenty takes to actually do it. I kept messing up the scene leading up to it,” he hung his head, “And then I started mixing up the dance moves when we were recording out dance cuts and then I started messing up the words when we were recording my solo shots and then – ”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa,” you cut him off gently, placing both of your hands on his shoulders, “Slow down, you’re talking too fast.”

 Woohyun bit his lip and stared back at you, fear and doubt filling his eyes.

Your shoulders deflated a little and you tried to find the right words to say.

"Okay, take a deep breath and start over," you instructed.

You silently watched Woohyun close his eyes and in a gulp of air. When his chest fell back to its natural position, you prepared yourself to be bombarded with a waterfall of words.

But you were thrown into shock when Woohyun suddenly wrapped his arms around you and buried his into your neck.

"Woohyun…" you breathed as you lightly placed a hand on his back. But your words got caught in your throat when the sound of a single sniffle echoed throughout your apartment.

"Can you just hug me?" he pleaded, his tears starting to dampen the collar of your shirt, "Just for a little while?"

You nodded your head and wrapped your arms around his waist, hooking your hands onto his shoulders as his body wracked with frustrated sobs.

You gently rubbed circles on his back with one hand and smoothed his hair with the other.

Hours could have passed with Woohyun still in your arms, but you wouldn't have even cared.

You pulled away when his breathing was relatively normal again.

"Do you want something to drink?" you offered.

His swollen red eyes dropped to the floor and he nodded his head with a hiccup.

You grabbed your cold cup of tea and walked into the kitchen.

A few minutes later, you walked out of the kitchen carrying two piping cups of hot chocolate.

"Two packets for every one cup of milk," you smiled as you handed him one of the mugs, "Just the way you like it."

"Thanks," he whispered, taking the cup of hot chocolate and bringing it up to his lips.

You placed your mug on the table after taking a sip and turned towards the boy sitting next to you.

"Want to talk about it?" you tilted your head to the side and looked at him with soft eyes.

Woohyun swallowed and placed his mug next to yours.

You both leaned back into the cushions on your couch and Woohyun rested his head on your shoulder.

"I sometimes think that it's all too much," he mumbled, "I don't know how much more I can take of this."

"What are you talking about?"

"This whole idol thing," he answered, "The schedules, late night practices, barely getting enough sleep. Sometimes I just don't think that I can handle it all."

"Why would you say that?" you asked, not really understanding him.

Woohyun let out a sigh and closed his eyes, "I don't know, I'm just letting everyone down."

You sat up suddenly and twisted your body to face Woohyun.

"Listen here, Nam," you said sternly, slapping your hands on his cheeks so he looked at your straight in the eye, "Don't you ever, ever, think that."

"But-"

"Nope! I'm not listening!" you released his face and placed your hands over your ears.

Woohyun bit back a smile at your forever childish behavior that you always had around him.

You let out a sigh and dropped your hands onto your lap, "So many people are proud of you, Woohyun. Your parents, your members, Inspirt … me."

His lips formed into a small smile when you mentioned yourself and he tried to hide his face.

"So you had an off day, who cares?" you rolled your eyes, "You're still Nam Woohyun, Infinite's power vocal and resident greaseball. So can you just laugh your dorky laugh for me? Just once?"

You pouted and held up one of your pointer fingers to your lips, looking at Woohyun with big eyes.

A chuckle escaped Woohyun's lips and you sent him a bright smile, glad to feel a happy aura radiating from him once again.

Your eyes widened when Woohyun suddenly leaned forward and pecked you on the cheek.

"Thanks, ______," he pulled away, looking up at you through his eyelashes.

You bit your lip and looked at him bashfully as your cheeks started to darken, "No problem."

Woohyun leaned the both of you back on the couch and placed your head on his shoulder as he pulled you to his side.

"It's late, let's go to sleep," he mumbled as he rested his head on top of yours.

You were about to argue but decided against it when you saw his chest evenly rising and falling.

You glanced up at the sleeping boy and smiled to yourself before letting your own eyes slide shut as well.