1/1

Can I Have This Dance?

          It has been many years, almost two decades, that Lee Jinki was just simply Lee Jinki his life as Onew of SHINee a thing of the past. A year after the group disbanded Jinki proposed to his long time girlfriend, an African American woman by the name of Trinity who had worked at a small café during her university years in Korea. The café was where they met and fell in love. They had a simply but beautiful spring wedding in the garden of the Lee residence in only the precisions of there close friends and family.

          To start a new life together the happy couple bought a small ranch in Trinity’s home state of Texas. The ranch housed the happy couple, a dozen Chickens and chicks, a roster, two horses, a couple dogs of various breeds, a potbelly pig named Chester, and about nine months after their wedding a beautiful baby girl named Angel.

          Angel was Jinki’s everything, from the day she was born she had her Daddy wrapped around her finger. She could get away with most anything if daddy was around and of course like any dad Jinki spoiled his little girl, not to the point that she was a brat but let’s just say she had her own pony.

Even as Angel grow older her connection with her dad was strong, she told him everything, from her first crush to her first kiss she told him everything. Until now, her senior year of high school came around.

There are just some things that you can’t tell your parents and this was defiantly one of them. Angel wasn’t afraid to tell her mother or grandparents, just her father the person who had been her best friend since she could remember, the person who know all her secrets or most of them at least.

She was so worried on how to tell her dad her big secret she called her uncle Kibum while her parents were out. So far only her uncle Kibum know and eve time she ask for advice he said the same thing as always “Just tell him baby girl soon it will be to obvious to hide” then he would lightly chuckle before continuing “I know your appa, he will always be there for you no matter what”.

So one warm summer night three months in to the whole ordeal, she went out side to find her dad dancing around like he was still in his 20s, age hadn’t caught up with him yet. Music was playing softly though the radio as he twirled around in circles and singing along with closed eyes.

Angel smiled as she watched her dad enjoying himself, it calmed her. Taking a deep breath she decide this was the perfect time to tell him, “D-dad!” she said stuttered, which caught Jinki of gourd and he tripped over a flower pot. “I’m okay, must be the Onew condition kicking in again after all these years” he said laughing as he stud up.

Going over to the porch steps where his daughter now sat Jinki know something was wrong by her troubled expression, “Every thing alright princess?” he ask wearing a worried expression. “Actually there’s something I want to tell you…..I-I’m” she found it hard to say, “You’re what?” Jinki ask curiously. Angel sighted, it was now or never “I-I’m Lesbian…..and I have a girlfriend” she said with a pause.

Angel held her eyes tightly shut as she heard her father stand up, ears made it to her eyes and she started to sob thinking that she had lost the love of her father, her best friend. Thus, she was surprised minutes later to feel a thumb wiping her tears away.

“Princess, why are you crying?” Jinki ask his daughter as he knelt in front of her “because you hate me” she shakily answered. “Sweetie I would never hate you,” he said as he sat back down and pulled her on to his lap. Once in his lap he put a necklace with a ring on it around her neck.

“There was a time when I was younger where I dated a Guy, Lee Changsun, and my dad gave me this necklace and said that no matter who I choose to love they would still love me the same” Jinki picked up the ring as Angel wiped her eye with the sleeve of her thin hoodie.

 “See the word engraved in the ring, Pride, have pride in who you are and don’t let anyone make you put up an act”.

 Jinki then looked straight in to her “It doesn’t matter if you like girls or guys I still love you the same, to be honest thought you know I love your mom with all my hears I still some times wish I was with Changsun, see where some what on equal ground here” he said shyly laughing.

After about 30 minutes, Angel had completely calmed down and Jinki had an Idea. Setting Angel down on the patio Jinki quickly took out his phone and hooked it up to the speakers that were next to the radio, quickly shuffling through hiss music library he found the song he was looking for.

Jinki quickly moved back to where his daughter stud and right in tune with the song he said “Take my Hand” as he took her hand. They danced to Can I have this dance in the version he and Sunyoug had sang. They smiled laughed as there dancing had soon turned silly. Angel was happy to know that her appa still loved her.

All the while Angels mother stud at the door watching the two people she loved most being happy, though her face looked happy in her eyes there was a hint of sadness as she had heard there whole conversation. That her beloved Jinki still had feelings for Changsun was something she knew but hearing it come out of his mouth made it hurt a little more.