Under the Pastel Sky

Becoming Mrs. Woo

 

 

 

"The sky is so beautiful today, right Kevin?" I asked my best friend while gazing at the magnificent pastel blue sky as we walked beside each other on our way to school. Well, maybe Kevin walked; I skipped.
 
"Yeah, it is," he repeated as his gentle eyes looked down at me. While we continued walking, I rambled on and on about how pretty the sky always is no matter what weather and how sky blue would always be my favorite color. If you haven't guessed by now, I really like the sky.
 
"Hey, there's this question I have wanted to ask for a while now," Kevin suddenly said, interrupting my chattering. 
 
"Really? What is it?" I inquired, my curiosity heightening because I was eager to know what had seemed to be bothering him these past few days.
 
"Nothing really, I was just wondering if there was anything about me you would like to change," Kevin asked with a serious expression plastered on his face.
 
I didn't even need to think about the answer because, obviously, there was nothing about Kevin that needed to change.
 
"Maybe...you can work on being less perfect and more human," I jokingly said and burst out laughing when I saw his surprised reaction. "You know Kevin, you're too humble to know how near perfect you are."
 
"Yeah right," he mumbled in embarrassment, which only made me giggle more violently. 
 
"Okay, okay, I promise I'm fine now," I finally said after wiping away a tear that had resulted from laughing too hard. "Anyway Kevin, is there anything about me that you would like to change?"
 
"Nothing," Kevin instantly answered as if he didn't even need to think twice about his answer.
 
"Yeah right," I replied and began giggling as I realized that we had responded to the question in the same way. "Oh, are we in school already?"
 
I was surprised to see that the walk to school this morning was unusually quick. Actually, I guess it was always quick whenever Kevin walked with me, which was only every Friday because it was the single day that his parents were free to bring his younger siblings to school instead of him.
 
I always looked forward to Fridays because it was the only time that I could really spend with Kevin. We'd see each other in school of course, but it's not easy to talk since we're not in the same class, and we can't walk home together either because our varsities always end at different times. If only I could, I would want to be with Kevin much, much more often.
 
"I guess we are in school," Kevin agreed somewhat halfheartedly.
 
"Hey Kevin! You're early!" a guy who looked our age shouted and waved at Kevin. "Who's the cute girl beside you?"
 
I couldn't exactly hear what he was saying, but I could feel a charismatic and cool aura coming from him and the guys surrounding him, even if we were still at a fairly far distance from each other. So they must be the kind of friends Kevin surrounds himself with.
 
"You know the answer to that, Eli!" Kevin shouted back with a grin on his face. 
 
"See you soon, Kevin," I bid him farewell with a tiny wave like how we usually end our walks. I started walking away from him when he suddenly grabbed my arm.
 
"What's wrong?" I stuttered in surprise. Kevin smiled in reassurance but didn't release his grip on me. In fact, it just seemed to get tighter.
 
"I changed my mind, there is something about you that I want to change," Kevin said and smiled mysteriously.
 
"Really? Which of my faults..." I trailed off, worrying in my mind about all the possible things he might say about me.
 
Kevin must have noticed the worry in my eyes because he let go of my arm and started laughing. "What are you scared about? The thing that I want you to change is just your last name."
 
"Huh? What? Why?" I stuttered in confusion and breathed out a sigh of relief due to the fact that he wasn't really disappoint in me for anything.
 
Kevin bent down a little to the point that his eyes were staring straight into mine. They were dark brown by the way, like chocolate - my favorite. 
 
"I want your last name to be Woo, you dummy," Kevin whispered to me. "When I got to know you, I just knew who my future wife would be. Before becoming Mrs. Woo, though, how about becoming my girlfriend?"
 
I was too stunned to be able to answer properly, much less think properly. Was Kevin asking me out? Kevin was asking me out? Oh my gosh, Kevin really was asking me out! 
 
The moment I realized that my dream had come true, I immediately snapped out of my thoughts and embraced Kevin as tightly as I could. I will admit that I might have cried a little. Just a little. 
 
Kevin, I also can't wait until the day I officialy change my last name to Woo, and I would he very proud to have everyone call me: Mrs. Woo.