Final

I Was Waiting For You

 

“Myungsoo! Stay here and hide! I promise I won’t get caught, so you need to hide!” Sungyeol whispered at his husband, eyes full of love, finishing with a sad smile as he pushed down the chest’s lid once more.

 

Myungsoo looked at him, “Promise?” Sungyeol smiled.

 

“Even if it takes me a million years, I will come back for you. So wait for me.”

 

<><><><>

 

Sungyeol woke up from his dream. It wasn’t much of a dream, but more of a memory, one from long ago. He looked around his house, smiling sadly.

 

“I promised myself I’d find you, and here I am, looking for you.” He murmured to himself. He pulled his tired body out of his bed and stood up, walking into his bathroom to start another day.

 

<><><><>

 

Sungyeol looked at the old burnt mansion, closing his eyes to the nightmare that had happened ten years ago.

 

<><><><>

 

Flashback

 

“Kill everyone, spare no one!! This family will die!” A loud voice boomed. A twenty three year old Sungyeol dragged along his husband, Kim Myungsoo, towards the shed. He glanced back at the building, hearing the screams as everybody got shot down.

 

Sungyeol slammed the door behind him, panting. Myungsoo was crying, panicking when Sungyeol brought him towards an empty chest.

 

“Hurry up and get in!” Sungyeol urged, pushing Myungsoo in.

 

“What about you?” He asked frantically. A sad smile came upon Sungyeol’s face.

 

“I’ll send them away from you.”

 

“No! I’m coming with you!” Myungsoo declared, coming out. Sungyeol pushed him back in.

 

“Myungsoo! Stay here and hide! I promise I won’t get caught, so you need to hide!” Sungyeol whispered at his husband, finishing with a sad smile as he pushed down the chest’s lid once more.

 

Myungsoo looked at him, “Promise?” Sungyeol smiled.

 

“Even if it takes me a million years, I will come back for you. So wait for me.” Myungsoo nodded, finally going in.

 

Sungyeol in a deep breath, standing up. He slammed open the door, screaming at the top of his lungs.

 

“Mama!!! Papa!!!!” He screamed, getting the attention of the killers checking the area.

 

“Hey!! Get him!!” One shouted. Sungyeol began running, running into the forest and away from Myungsoo. He heard them all following him and he prayed that Myungsoo was smart enough to run away as well.

 

‘I’ll find you soon.’ Sungyeol promised.

 

End

 

<><><><>

 

“Sungyeol!!! Sungyeol!!! We found him!!” Sungyeol shot up, turning to find the detective who was helping him find Myungsoo, Jang Dongwoo, smiling in glee. His partner, Lee Howon or Hoya, was trotting behind him, a smile plastered on his face.

 

Sungyeol gasped, “R-Really?” He asked, Dongwoo nodded.

 

“Come on, let’s go reunite you two.”

 

<><><><>

 

Sungyeol sat in the car, anxiously waiting.

 

What if Myungsoo didn’t remember him? What will he do?

 

“We’re here.” Sungyeol nodded, thanking Dongwoo for finding Myungsoo.

 

Hoya opened the door and Sungyeol stepped out, tears forming as he saw Myungsoo walk up to him.

 

Myungsoo’s mouth was wide open.

 

“Sung… Sungyeol?” He stammered out, Sungyeol nodded, grabbing Myungsoo’s hands.

 

“I’ve missed you so much. Ever since that day I haven’t stopped looking for you, I thought of you everyday and you were always in my heart.” Sungyeol said, a smile on his face.

 

But he was confused, Myungsoo’s eyes had changed, they were filled with pity, not love.

 

“Sungyeol, I saw the report on the news, they said everyone was dead, I though-”

 

“I’m alive, Myung, we can finally be together again. I still have your ring even, I never got to give it to you...” Sungyeol held up the gold band in his hand, it matching the one on his finger perfectly.

 

“Sungyeol...” Sungyeol’s smile fell when he saw the person at the door. A woman was standing in the doorway of Myungsoo’s house, looking strangely at him. His heart shattered when he saw a little boy come out to hold onto the woman’s legs.

 

“I thought you died, I’m sorry, Sung-” Myungsoo stopped when he saw the pained smile on Sungyeol’s face as he shook his head. Myungsoo saw Sungyeol put down his hand, pulling his own ring off slowly.

 

“It- It’s fine, Myungsoo-ah, I’m... I’m just glad you’re safe and happy.” Myungsoo desperately tried to grab Sungyeol’s hands once more as Sungyeol released his grip on Myungsoo.

 

“Sungyeol,” was all he could say, he couldn’t form any words other than, ‘Sungyeol’.

 

But Sungyeol already was walking away. He turned to the sad detectives.

 

“Please take me home. I want to leave.” Sungyeol said in a quiet voice. Hoya nodded and led Sungyeol to the car as Dongwoo stared at Myungsoo almost disappointedly.

 

“Sungyeol... Sungyeol,” Myungsoo repeated, his eyes filling with tears as he saw Sungyeol’s face disappear behind the tinted window.

 

“SUNGYEOL!” He screamed as the car drove away, taking his love with it. He felt his heart drop out of his body, he fell onto his knees, staring at the car driving further away from him.

 

“Sungyeol...” He murmured, memories of his ex-husband coming to his mind. He felt something touch his shoulder and he looked up to find his wife smiling sadly down at him. He looked away, pulling himself up.

 

He looked back at the road, just to make sure that the car wasn’t coming back, that Sungyeol wasn’t going to come back to him, that Sungyeol wasn’t going to come back and promise to wait for him again.

 

But he looked back to find an empty road, with nothing but the sun, high up in the sky like nothing was wrong.