SEVEN

Company.

 

“Hyoyeon, tell me why you’re here,” came Jonghyun’s voice.

“Because I’ve always dreamt of being a singer-dancer and I was offered the chance to come and explore my options?”

“STOP LYING.”

“What?!” sputtered Hyoyeon. “I’m not lying, oppa. You know I rea-”

“I know of your ambitions. Ballet, acting, singing. In that order. Tell me the truth. WERE YOU OFFERED A CHANCE OR FORCED TO COME HERE?” bellowed Jonghyun.

“Oppa! Keep your volume down!” hushed Hyoyeon, completely thrown off. Her brother never could read people well; she didn’t expect him to find out so quickly. She had thought that there was still time to think of an excuse. But she had underestimated Jonghyun. Think, Hyoyeon, think. You’ve always been a witty child. Do something, throw him off.

 “Keep my volume down? Just because I’ve been speaking to you nicely all this time doesn’t mean I’ll never blow up, sis. How can you be so stupid? You promised you won’t let that stupid woman push you around and live your life for you. You said that to persuade me to come all the way to Seoul to pursue my dreams. WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT PROMISE?” Jonghyun fumed.

“Oppa. I’m sorry I broke that promise. But I’m here no-”

“You’re here now, but you won’t be here tomorrow. Come. We’re going to see President Lee. You are going back where you came fr-” Jonghyun pulled Hyoyeon by the sleeve towards the main offices. He didn’t make it far though, before the unexpected happened.

“NO, I AM NOT GOING BACK. I’M HERE TO STAY FOR GOOD. SO I CAN’T LET MYSELF BE PUSHED AROUND BY MRS. KWON? WELL I’M NOT GOING TO BE PUSHED AROUND BY YOU EITHER. GO LIVE YOUR LIFE, OPPA, AND LEAVE ME TO LIVE MY OWN.” Hyoyeon broke free from her brother’s grasp and made for the door back to the common room.

When she pushed open the door, she was greeted by some twenty people crashing backwards, their mouths agape. She rolled her eyes at them and made her way to one of the corners, fished her iPod out of her pocket and plugged in her earphones. Then, she took out her sketchbook from her bag and started writing furiously, ignoring the stares from everyone else.

Donghae and Yuri looked at each other. They now understood what was going on. Mrs. Kwon was a teacher in the dance school who scorned orphans and would bully them without ever being caught. And the people she hated most were Jonghyun and Hyoyeon. This was because, despite her most torturous training sessions and punishments (for both their mental and physical beings), the pair of siblings always performed exceptionally well. She had tried ways and means to get the two children into trouble and even expulsion, but to no avail. They were simply too good. And so, she took it upon herself to make the brats suffer. Most people knew about Mrs. Kwon's sly and scheming ways. In fact, there were suspicions that the school management does too and that the only reason why they’ve been turning a blind eye to her doings was that Mrs. Kwon's classes have always brought premium results.

But to the point of dashing one’s dreams? Mrs. Kwon is too much. Tears gathered at Yuri’s eyes as she thought about how her friends have been treated. Mrs. Kwon must have come up with a devious plan to blackmail Hyoyeon into joining the company. It was a perfect way to get rid of the girl and cutting her off from her dreams to dabble in theatre. Two birds, one stone. Just Mrs. Kwon's style. Yuri’s heart goes out to Hyoyeon, who must be hurting so. She could see why Jonghyun was so mad though; although he had a bad-boy image, he loved his sister dearly and could not bear to see her suffer in any regard.

Donghae sighed. He has never seen the brother-sister duo fight, but this seemed serious. There must be a way for them to make up quickly, without compromise. The two were super hard-headed, they would never compromise on differing views, he knew. But there was no other way. He decided to start reasoning with Hyoyeon. She was usually less blinded by her thoughts. If he could talk sense into her, maybe Donghae wouldn’t have to take on the impossible task of talking to Jonghyun.

He rounded up the Shinee members and told them to go find Jonghyun and try to help calm him down. It would not be an easy job, he cautioned them, just make sure that he gets back to training on time. He nodded to Yuri and the duo went over to Hyoyeon.

“Hyoyeon-ah.” He tapped her shoulder cautiously. No reaction. He looked at Yuri helplessly.

Yuri rolled her eyes. It’s been so many years, and Donghae still hasn’t mastered the art of handling Hyoyeon. It was a difficult technique though, she must admit. She waved her hands as if to shoo Donghae away. “Girls’ talk,” she mouthed. Donghae shrugged and left them alone, keeping his eyes on the girl stabbing her pencil on against the sketchbook all the while.

“Hyo, I know why you did it. In fact, I’m pretty sure I know what made you succumb to it.” Yuri started. Still no response. Yuri could feel Donghae’s smirk digging into her back. You’re not winning so easily, Mr. Lee. “You were worried about Jonghyun oppa’s future, won’t you? You’re a nice kid, why do people keep turning your kindness into a flaw to their advantage?”

Finally, Hyoyeon turned to face her. “This world was never fair. I know it, and you do too. There’s nothing we can do about it, other than accepting, unnie. I already have. Why is it so hard for everyone else?”