Her.

White Day

She was the best thing that had ever happened to him. 

Soojung was the typical girl-next-door, with a very special problem. She had chronic heart disease. But Jongin did not know of that, she kept it a secret. All she had to do was to take medication on a regular basis, without him knowing. 

The two first met at Han River, where they were with their friends. Jongin with Kyungsoo, Soojung with Jessica. Their friends encouraged them to go towards each other and that was when it all began.

Exchanging phone numbers, meeting up for dinners, movies, they soon became a couple. A perfect couple, almost. Jongin was a little rebellious, but every boy has his bad side right? Soojung was filal but mischievious at times. The two fit each other like yin and yang. Jongin would , and she would back. 

The lovey dovey sweet little nothings continued on, for quite a while, until Soojung failed to appear for a date. Jongin waited for 4 hours long, and she didn't come. He decided to go look for her, where he found her phone lying on the snowy ground. He panicked real hard. He asked the shop ahjumma nearby, where he found out that Soojung fainted and passerbys sent her to the nearest hospital. He sprinted his way to the hospital, only to finally find out that Soojung had a minor heart attack. 

Soojung woke up the next day, only to see Jongin fast asleep by her side, with dried tears on his cheeks. Soojung's tears could not help but fall, she fidgeted to keep her tears in, but all she did was to wake Jongin up. Jongin asked about her condition, where she finally spoke about her disease. 

"We're going to go through this together? Until we find the right donor, I'll be here, with you."

Soojung smiled weakly at these words, and nodded. 

 

A week later, Soojung was discharged from the hospital, with more medication. Jongin was at work, so he could not help her home, but he was constantly messaging her. 

Jongin: Hey, you gotta be careful alright?

Soojung: Of course, I am Miss Careful!

Jongin: Alright then, see you at home. I'll come by to visit you later.

Soojung: Okay. See you later xoxo

Jongin: xoxo

He locked his phone and continued to work. He had to finish work fast to visit her. 

As he walked quickly with light steps to her house, he felt a weird tension. He felt that something was amiss. Something is wrong... He walked slightly faster to her house, only to see an open door, many medics and silent Soojung, lying on the ground, still. 

Jongin dropped his bouquet of flowers, his heart sank all the way to his feet. His mind could not believe his eyes. 

No... This is not happening, I must be dreaming. Yes, Jongin, wake up from this nightmare, she's not dead. She's right in front of you, smiling. She's not lying down there, with no pulse. You are imagining the medics, they aren't real.

He rushed into the house, knelt down beside Soojung and touched her hands. All he felt was coldness, no warmth, no love. Soojung's face was contorted, no smile, but a face full of pain and agony. He cried. Real hard. 

"You didn't wait for me, you promised to wait with me. The donor is coming soon... Soojung ah, wake up please, tell me I"m dreaming, tell me this isn't real. WAKE UP SOOJUNG AH!!!!" Jongin broke down. 

The medics came over and calmed him down as they took Soojung away to the hospital for an autopsy. A medic informed Jongin that she died of an acute heart attack. She was not strong enough to be discharged, but she insisted anyway. Her body was overloaded with the medication, her heart failed to function and the whole body collapsed. Jongin could not hear anything the medic said, only one word was in his head. DEATH. She was dead. His one and only, dead. She looked so healthy when he saw her yesterday. This was literally impossible. He could not accept anything, but cry harder. 

Flashbacks of the two hanging out at parks, the river where they first met, movie dates, dinners, their first kiss flowed through his mind, it was horror to see someone who used to be so lively, now lying on the autopsy table, kept in a coffin, just not breathing. 

A few years past, and he still could not get over her. He refuses to believe that she was dead. He continued to live, telling everyone that she went on a trip, she was going to come back soon. He would call her phone number, and record his messages on the voice message, asking how she was. Everyone's heart pained when they saw Jongin trying to call Soojung. Soojung's mother decided not to cut the phone line, she could not bear to break the truth to Jongin. Jongin led on his life as usual, well not really. He quit his job and started to stay home 24/7. He would call Soojung's number, text her. He would also try to figure out what she wrote on that post it right before she died. Had she predicted death? Then why didn't she call the ambulance, or for any form of help? 

But what no one knew was that Jongin would cry himself to sleep, because he knew that deep down, Soojung was really dead after all. But he wanted to pretend that she was still alive, so that he would be motivated to actually stay alive, like what Soojung told him.