Illusions

Rumours Spread Like Wildfire

“Have a good day, my queen,” I purred into the crook of my girlfriend’s beautiful neck as she giggled.

“I will,” she promised, pecking his lips, adjusting the strap of her heavy satchel on her shoulder and heading up the stairs with a spring in her step and a smile stretching her cheeks.

I sighed and slowly the balls of my feet and began to make my way back to my convertible which had been parked beneath the humble oak trees, dipping their leaves over the road. Chores of the day ahead raced through my mind as I turned the key in the ignition and listened to the soft rumbling of the engine.

I soon arrived at the KTS Entertainment building and pulled into the executive parking lot. I saw the sign marked “Bang Yongguk” in bold font and let the car roll in slowly.

I grasped the heavy briefcase which had been carefully placed on the backseat and strolled towards the shiny elevator up ahead.

I strolled into the foyer of my office, past my always busy assistant and good friend, Park Hyojin, who was quick to jump up and place a pile of documents onto my desk.

“Good morning, sir,” she smiled brightly. I had always enjoyed her eager and positive attitude towards everything she did. “Would you like a cup of coffee?”

“I’d love one, Hyojin,” I smiled, looking down at the stack of papers piled neatly in the middle of my desk, surrounded by haphazardly placed clutter everywhere else.

She gave me another bright smile before quickly darting out of my office to pop down the street to my favourite coffee shop to fetch my favourite coffee: double shot vanilla latte.

I let out a sigh as I picked up my favourite silver pen and began to sieve through the documents, signing my name where necessary.

As always, Hyojin was quick to fetch my coffee and soon, it was placed on my desk amongst the clutter. I took a whiff of the enticing vanilla scent before taking a sip, wincing at the hot pain on my tongue.

“Thank you,” I grinned.

She lowered her head in acknowledgement. “The boys will be arriving soon, would you like me to send them a message on where to meet you?”

“Yes,” I said, pausing to think for a moment. “Today we were planning to spend some time on choreography. Could you ask them to meet Jungwoo and I in the practise room?”

“Of course,”

“Send Jungwoo a memo about that also,” I added as she began to step out of the office, “You know how forgetful he can be.”

She placed a hand over modestly as she giggled. I smiled, turning the page and signing my name for the fiftieth time, just in that morning.

 

*                              *                              *

 

“The boys just arrived,”

I looked up to see Hyojin’s small head poking in through the door. I pushed the thick pile of documents aside, having finally finished with them.

“Thank you,” I said, pushing my seat back and standing up. “Could you sort out these documents for me?”

“Certainly,” she beamed.

I pushed the bright blue button the elevator and stepped out on the ground floor to meet my five trainees in the foyer. Each one bowed respectfully and I smiled. I was so immensely proud of each and every one of them. They’d all come such a long way since they first signed their contracts with the company and I knew they were going to be very successful once they’d debuted.

They followed me into the main dance practise room where Jungwoo stood, fresh and ready to run through the moves with the boys. I took a seat on the side of the room and watched proudly as my boys executed their moves perfectly. Their relentless training had surely paid off.

“You’ve really improved, Kyubin,” I commented genuinely.

Kyubin was never much of a dancer and when he first became a trainee under the company, his dance skills weren’t overly impressive. However, his strong spirit urged him to push forward and now, although not as extraordinary as my dancers, Sangmoon and Jisoo, he had improved a lot.

He chuckled modestly and lowered his head briefly as a thank you. I smiled to myself as the boys scattered apart in different directions to take drinks from their bottles and spend a few minutes cooling off a little.

 

*                              *                              *

 

I glanced up at the clock on the wall and was pleasantly surprised to see that it was almost five. I pushed aside a folder of important contract documents and picked up my iPhone to shoot my girlfriend a text message.

How was your day, beautiful? Do you want me to pick you up?

In a matter of minutes, a reply came flying through.

My day was fine. I’m staying here to work on a project with my friend. I’ll see you later tonight.

I shrugged. I was a little disappointed that I couldn’t see her right after work but I figured her project was more important.

 

*                              *                              *

 

I felt the covers stretch and pull from my shoulders and a very light pressure come down on the bed beside me. I knew my love was finally home. I rolled over and gave her a sleepy smile.

“I didn’t mean to wake you,” she furrowed her brow.

“It’s alright,” I insisted, “You’re here now.”

I shifted around and pulled her in close to the curve of my body, wrapping an arm tight around her thin waist.

“I love you,” I murmured, drifting back to sleep.

“I love you too,” she said.