Epilogue: Entwined Amity

Entwined Amity

One year passed.

All things seem so fast and neutral for the three of them. It’s as if Daehyun’s death is only yesterday and not a year. Seeing the coffin lay rest deep down of the earth shattered their hearts but it wasn’t just an ordinary coffin.

It was their best friend’s.

When Daehyun said his last words and still managed to smile to them before everything ends, they thought for a moment that he was glowing like an angel.

An angel who had finished his job in Earth.

Jieun was the first one who broke out of the reverie, eyes glazed with pleading tears, face contorted with mixed emotions and hands clasped with his pale, cold hands. She begs him to stay and not to die. She tells him that he still a lot of things to do, things to finish and things to achieve.

He smiles at her; this time it’s genuine.

He sings for the last time, shaky, hoarse and weak yet he still manages to sing so beautifully.

“All voices fade in the paradise of light and shadow…”

Tears flow from Jieun eyes as she gazes at Daehyun with a smile and sings after him.

“Memories created in between of dreams and reality…”

Daehyun’s tears flow out from his eyes as he sang together with her.

“Let’s sing together one last song…for us, for the entire world…before we sleep for eternity…”

“Daehyun-ah…” Jieun croaks out as she caresses his pale smooth cheek. His lips twitch upward, his voice getting caught on his throat, life dissolving out of him fast; he mouthed his last words for them.

As soon as he mouthed his last words to them and manages one last smile, he took his last breathe.

The alarm went off; three people were rooted at their position as they became dumbfounded, stunned and shocked. Too shocked to move from their position and to react until the doctor and nurses came and carefully pries her away from Daehyun. Jieun stumbles back a bit, Ailee catching her; she looks at the two with dazed expression.

Jongdae watches the doctor tries to bring Daehyun back to life; he knows it’s too late. Daehyun already said his last words and he just nodded his head at the doctor who told them with a solemn face that he is dead; he ushered them out with a mutter of ‘thank you’ and ‘okay’.

He comes back inside, finding Ailee cradling Jieun in her arms, Jieun sobbing at the death of their best friend whilst Ailee just tightened her hug around her and gazes at him with sorrow and broken emotions dancing around her brow hue orbs.

He didn’t say anything but moved towards them and envelop the two in his embrace, lowering them down to the floor, Jongdae shuts his eyes and let his tears flow out from his eyes, showing how he grieves for Daehyun’s death.

 

The funeral was simple, only few invited peoples were allowed to watch the funeral just like Daehyun had wanted. He didn’t like many people and his parents abide his wishes. Jongdae and Ailee stood beside the Jung’s watching Jieun walks toward the coffin, a white rose in her hands.

She stands in front of his coffin, a forced smile on her face.

“You asked me, right? That day, you asked me if our voices would become one, would you be able to hold my hand. I didn’t pay attention that much to you and how I wished I should have paid attention to you, Dae. I could have given you a proper answer, but it was rhetorical, right?” Jieun hoarsely says, tears welling up on her eyes.

Daehyun's rhetorical question was about the memories they created. The four of them. It wasn't only for her, heck it wasn't for anyone, but Jieun knows it's for them. The three of them. If their voices would become one, would his existance still live and be alive? Those were his exact words. If he would die someday, his voice becoming the wind of many voice, would his existance still leave and not cease?

It was kind of cruel, Ailee points out when Jieun told them the day after the funeral. It was obnoxious and rash, as if he was expecting his death in the future. Jongdae implies that Daehyun was simply questioning, but he also voiced out that Daehyun, maybe had a fragment of the future or had an inkling that this would happen to him.

He simply wants an answer.

She places the white rose on the middle of his coffin and she mutters.

“Thank you, Dae. For everything that you have done. We will never forget you.”

Jongdae and Ailee stepped beside her and the Jung’s, Kim’s and Lee’s followed suit. They placed their roses on top of the coffin before the guards lower it to the ground.

Jongdae's eyes filled with sadness and grief as he croaks out, "Your voice will forever live, Daehyun-ah."

Ailee smiles painfully before muttering out in her soft hoarse voice, "Our friendship will still continue on, forever and ever."

A familair thud resonated in their ears as they watch Daehyun's coffin being covered by the soil of the earth. As the guards had placed the stone on the newly flattened ground, they broke down.

It was finally done.

 

They were nullified of emotions, drained of energy and their eyes were puffy and red, swelling from all the crying-that was a year ago, a few days after the funeral. They didn’t have the heart to do anything but to stay at home.

Daehyun took a toll of them for some time, but soon they were able to break out from the shell of grieving and nullification and were able to live again their lives.

 

After a year of cries and laughter, their hard works were paid off. Jongdae became one of the top searches of photographers for his excellent skill in capturing any single art in any angle he is in position of. His ‘window of art’ took its action and he was glad to be born as the window of art and wasn’t burdened with the art he has.

He was now confident, not anymore coward that he was before. His pictures helped him a lot, his pictures showing every single moment of time and life and how it shows the people to enjoy everything in life.

Ailee has opened up branches in different parts of the world. Her designs were greatly acknowledge by the foreigners and they were entranced by her art. Her designs were simple yet beautiful, colliding with simplicity and colourful; her designs were undoubtedly searched by the people.

Jieun topped the charts with her newly founded song about ‘friendship’ with the title of ‘Bittersweet Coffee’. Her song was inspired from the memories and experiences they created and shared and she founded it all to her songs. The sweet latte, the bittersweet coffee, the bitter dark espresso, and the sweet jelly frappe had each meaning to life and all of her songs topped the charts.

She thanked her friends for everything, if it wasn’t for them, she wouldn’t be touring around the world to showcase her songs.

 

Even though one chain has been broken from the hold of eternity, they wouldn’t forget him at all. They aren’t broken nor were they sad by the fact that they lost a precious friend. They were happy in fact, happy by the fact that they were able to have a precious jewel like Daehyun in their circle.

Even though Daehyun may have left them, the memories that they have shared and created wouldn’t be forgotten no matter what.

Their friendship still lives and nothing is severed from the thread of eternity.

 

It’s Daehyun one year anniversary of death.

Jongdae, Ailee and Jieun gathered in front of his gravestone. Jongdae was the first one to kneel down, tracing the inscripted name on the stone, his fingertips tracing his name; he sighed in content and placed the flowers on the left before standing up and let Ailee take over.

She kneeled down, placing the flower on the right before gazing at the stone with a sad smile. She stood up and stepped beside Jongdae as they watch Jieun takes her turn.

Jieun kneels down, placing the bouquet of flower on the middle of the two bouquets. She shifts her gaze at the tombstone, fingertips tracing his name with swelling affection. She gazes at the picture frame, Daehyun smiling brightly at the photo.

She smiles at him, his final words echoing in her ears. She stands up, stepping back a few, settling herself beside Ailee. They gaze at Daehyun’s gravestone, gazing at it with affection and smiles.

The winds dances around, soft and warm sunlight brushing them as the cool spring breeze blew with melodic tunes that their ears could hear Daehyun’s voice talks, laughter, singing, babbling about his cheesecakes and his final words to them.

Daehyun smiles happily as he mouthed the words to them and before taking his last breath.

“Friends…for eternity…”

“Friends for eternity.”


Finished! Finally! Took long enough to finish this but I hope you would be able to like this chapter! Feedback? Thank you all for those who have subscribed and commented. It was nice seeing you read my story. Thank you very much and hope to see you soon!