Chapter 24

A Thousand Years

The next day, everybody was getting busy with their own business. It was the D-day of Golden Disk Award 2012 and Infinite was to perform their hits single “The Chaser” and “Paradise” plus Sunggyu’s “60 Second”. They were one of the nominees in between many boy-bands and girl-bands in South Korea. Everyone was getting ready to sit in front of the stage to enjoy other artists’ performances.

“Kelly’s not coming?” Woohyun, who just came, asked. Sunggyu turned his head quickly to confirm about Kelly’s attendance. Sungjong answered, “She might be coming, or not… It depends. Hyoan Hyung told me he was once helping Kelly to pack her things up because she has to go by tomorrow…”

“She’s going back to that dense jungle?” Sunggyu seemed to be speechless after knowing that.

“Hyung, it’s your fault. If just you were able to endure your anger and listened to her, she would have stayed longer. Moreover she saw you with Jiyoon a few days ago. She must be feeling betrayed…” Dongwoo came to point out Sunggyu’s fault. “Hyung, stop it already. Sunggyu Hyung admitted his fault and asked forgiveness to Kelly. It has nothing to do with Hyung’s fault…” Sungyeol helped Sunggyu.

“Let’s go meeting her after this schedule ends…” Woohyun calmed everybody down.

It was started. Infinite went to the seat to enjoy some performances from 4Minute and Kara. The two girl groups performed because they won Disk Bonsang. Woohyun and Sungyeol enjoyed a lot; they clapped their hands like military soldiers who loved girls so much. Sungjong and Dongwoo followed the dance for several times and laughed so bright.

Out of seven men who sat there, one man was missing. Hoya. He wasn’t there even since the beginning of the show. He was in his drama schedule so he couldn’t make it here.

After Sistar and Apink, the hosts read the other winners of Disk Bonsang. “B2ST and Infinite!!!!” the building suddenly was full of noise. The fans from the audience seats were shouting and waving their name plague of their favorite members. At first, Infinite didn’t realize that their group name was being called until Shinee who sat next to them told them to give some winning speech.

They went up and waited until B2ST finished their speech. The other members smiled even waved to Inspirits, their fans who kept shouting Infinite loudly. This time B2ST finished with their speech and got ready to perform. Sunggyu got the microphone, while Dongwoo brought up the trophy and waved it.

“First, we want to say thanks to all of our staffs, CEO-nim, manager hyung-nim, cordi noonas, producers, and all of them who keep helping Infinite to reach until this far. To our parents and family, really thank you for always being able to fully support us. And to our beloved Inspirits who always support us no matter what. This is ours, guys! Thanks…” Sunggyu waved and ended his speech.

“And Hoya Hyung, see this? We win!!” Sungjong shouted and many of fans laughed so hard.

After giving winning speech, they went to back stage to get ready for the performance. Jungryul manager was there and got the trophy. It was so strange since Jungryul stood by at the back stage, Hyoan used to do it anyway. They would be performing after B2ST without Hoya. It would be strange with this kind of formation.

First, they brought “The Chaser” and then continued with their hits song “Paradise” which brought their name to the top. Sunggyu tried so hard to focus on their performance, but it was hard since his mind was full with Kelly. She would be leaving tomorrow and she wasn’t even coming to see and support them. In fact, Sunggyu would mention Kelly’s name if she was here as he had planned.

After performing, they sat back to the previous seat. Everybody enjoyed the performance again, but not with Sunggyu. He kept being so anxious yet worried. His eyes focused on the stage but his mind wandered everywhere, thinking about Kelly. What if he got no time to see Kelly again? He had to say something to her, but how came the show walked slowly and never ended?

“Hyung! We’re being called again!” Woohyun shouted in Sunggyu’s ear because he seemed not paying attention at all.

“What for?” Sunggyu was totally dumbfounded.

“Hyung, we win The best dance performance!!” Sungjong shouted again. Myungsoo smiled calmly and waved to the fans as they stood up and walked to the podium. This time Woohyun gave the winning speech in behalf Sunggyu. Sunggyu didn’t give so much attention to what Woohyun said, until Woohyun said, “To K, where are you, where are you? Someone’s missing you a lot…” he added while giggled. Again, he kept throwing hearts to fans on the second floor.

“You don’t seem to be happy, Hyung? Is something bothering you?” Sungyeol asked. “No, no at all. It’s just so unbelievable if we can win two awards tonight.” Sunggyu said. “Yeah, today is Infinite’s day.” Myungsoo smirked deadly.

And they had to wait two hours more until the program ended. Sunggyu kept knocking his fingers to table and drinking a lot of water so he had to go and back to toilet. He was totally not to the show although 4Minute’s there, performing, and all the fans screamed Jiyoon’s name and Sunggyu’s name almost at the same time. In fact, Jiyoon had already clarified about their breaking up through press conference, but the fans were still enthusiastically digging up their story somehow.

Of course, Jiyoon looked so dazzling on the stage. She was pretty, y, cute, yet pure and innocent. Jiyoon smiled to Sunggyu once but Sunggyu didn’t focus at all.

“What’s with you, Hyung? You seem to be so different today,” Woohyun guessed perfectly.

“Nope, really nothing…”

Woohyun giggled, “Do you think I’m a fool, Hyung? You’re thinking about Kelly. You must be worried if Kelly has gone or not because you have something left unspoken. Right, Hyung?” He said correctly again. True, Woohyun was true, Sunggyu said inside his mind.

“Kind of,” Sunggyu answered briefly. Woohyun patted Sunggyu’s back, “Hyoan Hyung said Kelly would leave tomorrow. We’re going to get to see her right after this show ends. Ok, Hyung?”

“Yeah, I’m just… terribly worried if Kelly would leave me without saying a single word like a few months ago. So much thing left unsaid.” He sighed. “Hyung, love will find the way back if both of you have been fated, match made in Heaven,” Sungyeol blabs but, he said true. “Yeah, it’s better now.” Sunggyu said.

Right now, the hosts would read the nominees of the winner of ‘Album of The Year’. Sunggyu was about to go to the Infinite room. The show would end soon and it was no need for them to stay in the seat while they had planned to meet Kelly afterwards. “Hyung, where are you going?” Dongwoo held back. “Need to clean make up,” he said in jokingly tone but it was more like ‘hurry up we’re going to meet Kelly’.

“And the winner is…” MC Yoo Jaesuk stopped to make the situation even more nervous.

“Kim Sunggyu, Another Me!!!!!” the co-host shouted out loud Sunggyu’s name and also his album ‘Another Me’.

All of the Infinite members got really excited and gave him standing applause right away. Sunggyu had to slap his own cheek to check if he was dreaming or not. But it was real, he won! His album won!

“Sunggyu sshi, go on the stage and give some winning speech…” Yoo Jaesuk said. So, Sunggyu walked to the stage to have his trophy and said something. His song was being played for the background music during his speech. He had to say something but actually he didn’t feel like saying anything.

“Ah, I never imagined I could win this award… it’s too unbelievable for me as a new comer, because I debuted as solo not so long ago.” He said bravely.

“But, just same like before… I want to thank everyone in my life and… also…” Sunggyu stopped when he saw Hoya was standing in near the other members. He formally suited just like the others. When he knew Sunggyu saw him, he quickly waved to him and the hell what did he see more?

Kelly was there! She was right next to Hoya and Myungsoo. Holding a bouquet of flower, she stunned everybody with her pretty white mini dress she wore. Sunggyu couldn’t agree more, he admitted it, Kelly was totally perfect this night. But something attracted from what Kelly’s wearing on his leg. Did she forget to put another stocking on her another leg? He just thought.

“Ah, but this time, let me thank this personally to someone who is in charge to make 60 Second becomes number one in almost Korean charts and Japanese charts. I made this song because ‘this someone’ has inspired me and given me so much big influences to this song.”

“There are so much people who think that their bias can’t be in love with someone else and only focus on their singing and fans. So the agency tells the artists not to be involved with love or they will lose their fans. At first, I thought it might be true. I was afraid if Infinite will lose our fans because we date or make a love scandal. But how long do we have to be like this? Pretending like we like no one except our fans, putting all of our hearts to fans, and dating someone secretly… how long? Is marriage restricted for us? Everyone has the right to love and to be loved.” Sunggyu inhaled as the people in the auditorium were being so quiet all of sudden. Only his voice and the 60 second background music that could be heard.

“I dedicate this song actually for someone whom I’m in love with, whom I want to live with, and whom I want to trust in. Although I have to wait for a thousand years more, I will do it. And just not so long ago, I made truly big mistakes towards her and today I want to apologize formally to her. Kelly ah… I’m sorry for hurting your heart. You know I really didn’t mean it. Let’s live happily and love each other without worrying anything from now on. I really am sure about this, thanks for everything Kelly ah… this victory is for you,” Sunggyu ended up kissing the trophy.

The music was being played louder now. The other members went up and gave him big hug, leaving Kelly alone behind. Sunggyu saw her smiled so bright to him, really directly to him. But something was so strange, it wasn’t stocking after all. As he saw clearer, it was something like… the hell the other members kept blocking his sight from Kelly. He got the chance to see it again. True, it wasn’t stocking but… “No way…” Sunggyu’s eyes widened as he knew what was covering Kelly’s left leg.

 

***