Chapter One

Talking to the Moon

 

It was early in the morning when Suzy was woken up by the smell of coffee and the soft sound the guitar made. She sat up slowly, blinking a few times. She looked around the room and noticed the curtain was drawn and a cup of tea was sitting on her bedside table. Judging by the smell of it, it was green tea. She could see steam floating into the air from her drink, indicating it was newly made. Her door was slightly close; a small gap was left. He forgot to close it again. Maybe, maybe not. He did it quite often and he's the type of person that doesn't forget things that annoys a person. 

She stood up, stretching every muscles she could. She grabbed the cup of tea and blew on it gently as she walked slowly out of her bedroom. 

There, sitting on the couch, was Myungsoo. He was playing the guitar, only to stop when he felt her presence. 

"Are you doing this on purpose?" Suzy asked. 

Myungsoo smiled innocently, "Doing what?" 

"Stop the act, Kim Myungsoo." There was a hint of annoyance in her voice. 

"Wow. That's the second time you called me by my actual name." He smirked. "Adding to that, you said my full name." 

Suzy rolled her eyes and took a sit next to him, "You expect me to call you by your nickname when I'm mad at you?"

"You usually do." 

"Usually." Suzy repeated. 

It was quiet until Myungsoo started to play soft melodies on his guitar. Suzy watched him, her eyes focused his hands. She watched as his hands strummed the strong gently then moved her gaze to other hand which was moving all the time. She heard Myungsoo chuckle quietly so she looked up. He was watching her, his eyes were soft. 

"What's so funny?" She asked after taking a sip of her drink. 

Myungsoo shrugged, the small smile not disappearing from his face. "It's not that important."

Suzy raised her eyebrow, "It must be if it made you chuckle." 

Myungsoo stopped playing his guitar and shrugged again.

She took a sip of her warm green tea, "You know what's peculiar?"

"What?"

"It's been three years since we've lived together and 5 years since we've known each other and yet, you don't tell me such simple things or answer my questions." 

Myungsoo scoffed, "Why are you so curious about such simple things?" 

A playful smile appeared on her face, "Let me quote you: It's not that important."

Myungsoo's smile widened at her answer and he continued to play his guitar. He stood up and went over to the kitchen, getting some herbs that he had mashed earlier. He brought t back to Suzy, who was busy looking down at her tea. 

"Hand." He simply said. 

Suzy stretched out her arm, offering her hand. He started to spread and dab the herbs on a certain spot in her hand, which was attacked by a serious case of eczema. She would wince now and then, at the tingling pain she felt and every time she did, Myungsoo would apologise. 

"Why are you apologising?" She asked him, making a disturbed expression. 

He focused on what he was doing as he said, "Because I'm causing you pain." 

"But it's the stupid herbs that are doing it."

"It's me who's using those stupid herbs." 

Suzy winced again and Myungsoo followed with a soft apology. "Fair enough." She paused as she bit her lip, trying her best to ignore the pain. "But you really don't need to apologise." 

Myungsoo didn't say anything and continued to do what he was doing. Once he was finished, he handed her the fan to help ease the pain. 

"You would be a great doctor." She smiled as she accepted the fan. "You're quite good with this type of things."

He shook his head, "I'm just good at following instructions." He took the empty cup but before going to wash it, he said, "Isn't that what you want to be: a paediatrician?"

Suzy nodded softly, "Yeah." Her eyes followed Myungsoo's figure into the kitchen as his figure disappeared when he turned the corner. 

She found it interesting how he could remember such a thing. They only spoke about it three times or less ever since they started to talk and those times, they haven't even met each other. They were simply communicating through an instant messenger and yet he remembers some of the things she said. 

 

Sunshine: What do you want to be?

Blossomed_Wings: A paediatrician. The idea of helping sick children makes me happy and helping them feel better makes me very happy. I love making them smile, along with helping them. 

Sunshine: I find that quite amazing coming from an only child.

Blossomed_Wings: How so? 

Sunshine: I don't think I'd be able to do such a thing since I'm an only child as well. And also, I'm use to being alone. 

 

Suzy found it amusing because then, he had told her that he was a babysitter. He did say though, that he was getting use to it and children. Now that Suzy thinks about it, Myungsoo found it quite hard to communicate with children when he meets them for the first time. He would be awkward around them and would only observe them. She would always be the one who approaches them first then bring them over to him. 

Still, he was in the progress of getting use to it. He has to. It was part of his job. 

After a few minutes, Myungsoo came back to the living room. He took a sit next to Suzy and examined her hand. 

"Does it feel better?" He asked, concerned. 

"Why did you decide to be a paediatrician?" Suzy's question surprised him. 

"Why not?"

"You said you wanted town a small cafe or be an author." Suzy pointed out. "Why did you choose to be a paediatrician?"

Myungsoo thought about it for a while. "To help you." He finally answered. 

"To help me?" 

"To help you." He confirmed. 

"I didn't ask for your help though." 

Myungsoo scoffed, "You don't need to ask people for help."

"You don't need a reason to help them, too." 

"So, do you understand why I'm doing it now?"

"No."

Myungsoo sighed, "This is why I don't answer your questions half the time." 

"Well, I'm so sorry for being slow." She leaned back on the seat. "I don't want you to help me. I can't always depend on you and this is just spoiling me, Myungsoo."

"Wow. You said my real name." Myungsoo was a bit surprised. "This must be a serious situation for you." 

"It is." She confirmed. "I don't want to be the reason for you not fulfilling your goals in life and what you want to be."

"This is my 100% my choice." 

"But it's not what you want to be." She whined a little. "Why do you always do things for me? It's past the boundary of being nice." 

Myungsoo looked her right in the eyes, "Because you're my only family." 

That shut Suzy up. It was true. She was Myungsoo's only family and they're not even related. They've known each other for five years and lived together for three years. Since the very beginning, they always had these unique connections. They haven't said it out loud but they had the same thought: they felt like they were long lost family members. Suzy was able to communicate her feelings better to Myungsoo than her own family. While Myungsoo, felt the need to always take care of her. 

Suzy was the one to look away first, "Look. It's sunny outside." She stood up and pulled Myungsoo up with her. "Let's go to the beach and discuss this later." 

Myungsoo smiled, "The beach it is, then." 

 

The beach was packed with people and surprisingly, it wasn't that noisy. They picked a spot that wasn't too close to anyone and made sure that they were close to the sea. They brought two umbrellas and a big beach blanket to seat on. Myungsoo brought a book with him while Suzy brought food. 

"Why didn't you bring a book?" Myungsoo asked. 

Suzy looked up at him as she stopped fixing the umbrella. "Why do I have to?" 

"You usually do."

"Usually." She repeated. "I don't feel like reading. I'm going for a swim." 

"That's a first." 

Suzy laughed, "It isn't, Sunshine. I swam the last, last time we went to the beach."

The memory came back to Myungsoo. "Oh yeah. I remember." 

Suzy rolled her eyes and headed to the sea. Myungsoo watched her baggy white top moving here and there as the wind played with it. Her purple shorts were bright as well and it was easy to pick her out because of it. 

When she was close to the sea, he stopped watching and began to read the book he brought. He made himself comfortable and entered the world the book provided. 

After a few moments, the big crowd near the shore and the noises they made caught his attention. He wasn't really that interested but his instincts told him to go and check it out; so he did. He put his book down, sighed and stood up. He walked over to the crowd slowly, sinking his foot in the sand and playing with it now and then. 

Once he arrived to the crowd, he couldn't really see what was happening. It looked like someone was lying on the sand while two people were kneeling down. He pushed in a little, trying to get closer to get a better view. 

Then and there, he recognized that black hair. He moved his eyes further down and saw the purple shorts. His eyes widened in alarm and he pushed everyone to get to the front. When he finally got there, a man was pushing down on her chest, trying to regain her conscious. 

"Try CPR!" The woman next to him suggested. "We haven't tried that yet." 

"I don’t know CPR." The man panicked. "Does anyone know CPR?" He shouted, trying to get everyone's attention. 

"I do." Myungsoo said calmly but he was actually messed up inside. "I'll do it." 

He knelt down beside her and began to perform it. Slowly, Suzy began to regain her conscious. Myungsoo's heart was beating so fast ever since he started it. He started to push hard on her chest and after twenty two pushes, Suzy took a big gasp and choked out water. 

He looked at Suzy, waiting for her eyes to open. He waited and waited and finally it did. Her eyes opened slowly and when it was fully open, they made eye contact; neither one of them breaking it nor neither one of them saying a word. Somehow, the noises from the crowd were tuned out and they swore they could only hear each other's breathing. 

It was the first time she attempted to suicide. She knew how to swim; she was very good, in fact. He knew she use to have suicidal thoughts but she told him she never tried. And yet here she was, inches away from opening death's door.