Past the Borders

Glass Houses

My feet is my only carriage
And so I've got to push on through.

 

 

The young Gatekeep gives in and begins to lead the two into the Colony, as Victoria’s hand trembles in Max’s grip.

 

Three days.

Three days have passed since Song Qian— now Victoria— ran off with the boy she once knew as Changmin.

Running.

They ran away, and were still running away, quite literally, from the Enforcers. Through shining streets littered with translucent glass cubes, eyes peeking through screens inside unaware that the newsmakers were right outside their doors.

Suddenly, the nonexistent penalties existed again.

 

Once inside the rough, odd-smelling open space of greenery and earth, all she sees are members of the Colony: men, women, children of all ages. She has never seen so many at once, and all so dirty. But, she senses something as she unintentionally peeks into their eyes while they stare her down warily: they are unbounded. They are free. Suddenly, Victoria realises that, now, it is not Changmin, the strange boy who parroted his parents’ beliefs a long time ago, nor is it Jaejun, now Maru the Gatekeep, who is the intruder. In her old homes, these people who move unhindered by the all-seeing world would stick out painfully and prominently, from everything and everybody. Now, Victoria would have to live as the strange one; and all she has is Max's tight hold onto her as they walk towards the Anarchy leaders.

 

 

 

 

 

Some sigh in relief, some nod in grim approval: all are members of the World Council, sitting around a monitor table situated within a shelter several megametres away from the Main Cube, as they watch the scene unfolding in it, broadcast from the so-called Anarchists’ Colony bordering some distance away from the Enclosure of Peace.

Outside of the shelter, which is nothing more than a converted warplane, a strange wilderness with creatures unknown to most of humankind play and live and barricade the leaders from the rest of everybody else.

The illusions of Hope and Harmony have been restored, and calm reigns once more in a world once shattered by war.