Broken Promises

The Only One

 

Kim Beom's Pov

 

I got to class significantly earlier then usual, I was convincing my self that it was just because I was in a hurry to finish up classes so I can study and do home work before working again… but that’s a lie, and I knew it, now, if I was truthful to my self, it would be because of my partner. SoEun. Truthfully I have been curious about her, and ever since she said good luck I have been even more intrigued.

I was waiting as patiently as I could, but that wasn’t very much. I was trying to look cool, but on the inside I felt like jumping around and screaming. After what felt like centuries, she finally came into the room. So I looked up at her and smiled. I felt all my feelings burst form inside me, which made me smile brighter then I probably, should have.

“Hey partner.” I said as cool as I could manage.

Hey was all I got in return, not even a look or a glance. Was she mad at me? It must have been because of my behavior last night… I was treating her like all those other girls, even though I know she’s completely different.

"Ahmm, I want to apologize about being a jerk last night… Look I'm not blaming you or anything about my hands but I was just really stressed out last night. Sorry if I kind of took it out on you." I tried to sound as serious and meaningful about my apology, for some reason I didn’t want to even think about her being mad at me.

"I understand. So how was the performance?" What? Her response threw me of guard. Why did she always act so unpredictable? I had to quickly collect my self, so once again I spoke coolly.

“Good, I guess.”

Because of my uninteresting answer, it seemed like she lost interest in what I was saying and brushed it off with, “That’s good then.”

As soon as she finished her words, the teacher waked in and started talking about this and that, but I was more focused on other things, and other things being Kim SoEun. I couldn’t stop thinking about how I acted last bight and I really wanted to make sure that she knew I was sorry. I was thinking of ways to make it up to her, and then I decided.

“Umm, SoEun, if you're okay with it… I would like to buy you lunch to make up for being a jerk yesterday?" That’s it. If I take her to lunch, I can make up to her, as well as I can spend time with her. Now, she just has to accept.

She didn’t reply right away and I felt myself getting nervous, so I added, "Umm, just so you know... I want to go eat lunch together somewhere near by... The cafeteria food is kind of getting old for me… Let's just say it's my way of apologizing for being a jerk last night and besides we're Chem buddies now so might as well get to know each other more…” I was starting to feel doubtful, but still had some hope, so I finished with, “But if you don't want to that's alright, it's just a suggestion..."

This time I waited for her reply, and to my preference she said yes. The inside of my head started buzzing and I went crazy, I was really excited! We agreed upon a place to meet, and now I just had to patiently wait. All the while feeling very content and satisfied.

 

_______________________________________________________

 

I kept watching the clock, wishing the time would move faster, I was excited. But soon my excitement was starting to wear off. I began to become nervous, what should I talk about? What if she finds me boring and the last, what if she asks more about my personal life… That’s the one thing I don’t want anyone to know let alone her. My mind continued to tear itself apart, causing me to not realize the bell rang.

“Oppa!! What are you doing??” Park Minji came rushing over; she rested her elbows on my desk and held her head in her hands. Looking up at me trying to act cutely, she continued, “Oppa, it’s lunch!! I want to show you something! Come with me! Come on! Let’s go!” She grabbed my arm in a firm grip, she was not going to let me go.

“Yah, I can’t… I have plans.” I tried to reason with her being pulled who knows where.

“They can wait! It’s not like it’s as important as me right!” her voice was slick with distaste and confidence.

“No, it is more important then you.” I said bluntly, I was not going to have her mess this up for me. The moment those words left my mouth I felt her grip tighten, he nails digging into my arm.

“What did you just say.”

“You heard me, now knock off.” I pushed her away, with more force then I expected, it caught me off guard. She looked up at me, tears in her eyes.

“Your so cruel…” She tried to collect herself, but couldn’t. I stuck my hand out to help her up, but she just slapped it away. “Just go. Don’t worry about me I’m not that important.” Her tone was full of disappointment and dread.

“Look… I’m sorry, I just meant to get out of your grip…”

“Shut up! Now go!” She yelled. I looked around nervous someone would notice, but it was too late. Just on cue, Minji’s older brother came walking our way, now regularly I wouldn’t be too concerned, but this guy is massive. And I mean huge.

“Minni? Are you okay?” He asked in a loving way, but turning his gaze to me, I knew I was a dead man.

“I’m okay…”

“Did he hurt you?” There were daggers in his voice, and they kept stabbing me. “You.” He looked at me dead in the eye, as he took steps towards me. “Any last words?” he seethed at me. He walked towards me until I was back against the wall. There was no escape.

“I’m sorry…” I mumbled.

“What was that? Did you hear anything?” he spat at me, grabbing my chin and forcing me to look him in the eyes.

“I said I’m sorry.” I looked at him in the eyes, trying to hide all my nerves. I quickly turned my face, deflecting his hand away from my face. “Now, I’ve said sorry, so please back off.” I spoke confidently, hoping it would work.

“You think you can get away with this?” He continued to lock me in place, showing no room for escape.

“Oppa, please stop…” I heard Minji mumble to her brother, she was up and pulling on his sleeve. “We don’t want to cause trouble… Remember last time?” I noticed how he slowly backed up, but only a bit.

“You should listen to your sister, you don’t want to hurt her…” I said, my eyes misted over and I had a sinking feeling as the words echoed through my mind. Hurt her… Hurt…Her.

“What a baby… Getting all upset! Are you going to cry?” He mocked me.

“Stop it.” I heard Minji sternly say to her brother. “Don’t.” I had a feeling she understood me, and knew what I was going through… But no one knows, it happened years ago… Before we even were here. No one knew me back then, the only know what I’m like now.

“Fine.” He mumbled step back, but finished with one more threat. “If I see you doing anything to upset my sister, your dead.” I just nodded not wanting to cause more trouble.

After he was out of sight Minji spoke up. “Don’t think we’re okay. I just didn’t want my brother getting in trouble.” She said in a huff, and then left in the same way.

*Whew

I’m glad that’s over. I thought to myself, but one thing didn’t leave my mind, hurt her.  No matter what happens I can never get that day out of my head, it’s because of my selfishness. I’m all alone…

I headed towards the washroom because I needed to collect myself… Aish… I don’t even know what to think, it’s like I only cause others pain… I should just leave. I immediately turned around and left the school grounds. I had no idea where I was going or what I was going to do. Before I realized I was on the train, and I had a weird feeling I was being followed, I looked around in a hurry, but dropped it, great, I’m going crazy now too.

Deep in my thoughts, my body was just moving out of memory, because I Was not expecting what happened next.

I was standing in front of the Lounge De’ Rouge, aish, what am I doing here… I have school. I shook my head in disbelief, of all places to end up; I’m here. I thought about it for a moment and shrugged it off, maybe I’ll just play for a bit; get my mind off of things.

I pulled my key out and heard a noise, my head quickly snapped to the noise, but there was nothing. I looked around, and then decided I better use the back door. I walked around to the back, still feeling watched. I slipped the key into the lock, opening the door. I walked into the grubby back hallway, navigating my way through the dark corridor; I found the familiar door and opened it, flipped the switch on and was faced by my grand piano. I sighed out in relaxation, just from the sight of it.

I took a seat on the uncomfortable stool, but right now it was a comfort. I flipped the key guard up and slid my fingers along the keys, just enough for a soft sound to come out.

Without thinking, I started to play and sing. “Nana”, this is your favorite isn’t it? I was singing with my whole heart just letting all my feelings out in that moment. When the song came to an end, a single tear rolled down my cheek.

“I miss you…” I said ever so softly.

My head suddenly snapped around, I heard a slight rustle. To my surprise, there stood someone I would have never guessed to see.

“SoEun?” I quickly wiped my cheek hopping she didn’t notice my tears.

“Who’s NaNa?” She asked innocently.

“None of you business.” I snapped at her, I stood up and looked at her dead in the eyes. “Never. Ever. Mention her name to anyone. Ever! Why are you even here? Get out NOW!”

“Shouldn’t I ask you that? ‘Mr. Let’s go out for lunch, but then run off to some lounge.’ I don’t even want to know why you have a key.” With those words, she ran out of the room.