Insomnia

Insomnia

 

The lights turned off with the flick of a switch, the young woman making her way over to the bed in a slumping manner, clearly exhausted. A soft sigh escaped her lips as she plopped onto the bed, pulling the covers over herself as she lied down, closing her eyes. She had been busy all day, all week actually, so she was looking forward to finally getting some well-needed rest. But of course there was still that one problem.
“Urgh...” She voiced her discomfort through a soft groan, her eyes opening again.
She was an insomniac.
According to her doctor, it was probably stress related, as he had run enough tests to know it wasn't related to her health. It actually made sense, as she was usually working so hard she could barely get any sleep at all, it wasn't strange her body couldn't seem to adapt to the extra hours of sleep it was offered. 
But just because it made sense, didn't mean it didn't bother her.
“Come on, Hyomin, clear your mind...” She muttered to herself, closing her eyes, stubbornly trying to act as if she wasn't completely aware she was very much awake at the moment. 
Stupid stress...
Stress can cause a lot of problems, but so can watching horror movies if you don't know how to deal with those. Hyomin wasn't exactly a scaredy cat, but there were certain things she shouldn't mess with if she wanted to get any sleep whatsoever. A select number of horror movies she had watched about a week ago were amongst these things. 
I knew that would come back to haunt me.
The young woman opened her eyes, pulling the covers up a little so they would hide her face, leaving her eyes exposed as they darted around the dark room. Of course, after said horror movies and the large lack of rest she had been experiencing, everything was starting to look like something horrible coming at her. 
Oh for God's sake, you're an adult.
She huffed softly as she to her other side, facing the wall next to her bed instead of the room, which seemed to be filled with shadows of things that looked like horrible monsters. As she stared at the wall, the young woman tried to convince herself there was nothing to be scared of. Of course she was perfectly aware that there was indeed nothing to be scared of, but she couldn't help but feel on edge. Another huff escaped her lips, this one a little softer and slower than the first. She closed her eyes in an attempt to ignore the feeling of discomfort.
You can do- What the-?!
Her eyes snapped open at the sound she heard, or at least what she thought she heard. She stayed frozen, gradually becoming less certain that she had actually heard the sound at all. But then she heard it again.
Footsteps?!
And just like anyone in her position, Hyomin remembered every single horror movie in which someone was attacked by another human, or something human-like, she had ever seen. She tried to listen to any kind of movement she could hear, but instead only heard her own heartbeat thumping in her ears. Right as she momentarily considered pulling the covers over her head to try and protect herself, she heard it again, followed by the sound of the covers being lifted.
“AAH!!!” Hyomin screamed immediately, trying to move away from whatever was lifting the covers, but before she could get very far, she heard someone call her name.
“Hyomin! Calm down! It's just me!" It was a familiar high-pitched but smooth voice, one that made her stop moving around.
“Su-?”
Two arms wrapped around her waist as the form of the smaller girl softly pressed against her back, a giggle escaping her lips. Hyomin looked over her shoulder to find the slightly older woman smiling at her.
“Did I scare you?” She asked, another giggle following the question, making Hyomin pout lightly.
“Yes! It's not funny... you know how I get at this time of night...” She answered, feeling the older woman squeeze her lightly.
“Aww, I'm sorry, Hyominnie~ Do you need Sunny Bunny to protect you?” She heard the other reply. Hyomin nodded slowly, earning another gentle squeeze from the older woman.
“Don't worry. Nobody will hurt you. I'll make sure of that.” Sunny continued, pushing herself up to plant a small kiss on Hyomin's cheek.
“... Wait, why are you here anyway?” Hyomin asked right as she was starting to feel herself calm down a little. The smaller but older woman shifted slightly to get comfortable, keeping her arms wrapped around Hyomin.
“Simple. I'm here because you needed me.” Sunny replied, finally succeeding in bringing a smile to Hyomin's lips. The younger woman finally loosened up, feeling the tension leave her body, which she thought was probably thanks to the embrace she was held in.
“Sunny...?” Hyomin muttered softly, laying her head down again as she got comfortable in what she found to be the perfect position.
“Hmm?” She heard Sunny hum behind her in response as the two arms around her once again gave her a soft squeeze.
“Thank you... I love you...” Hyomin whispered as she smiled, feeling like she could finally have some rest, as Sunny's embrace had washed away all her worries.
“I love you too...” Came Sunny's response, before Hyomin closed her eyes again, feeling sleep take over.