Chapter 18 – One Last Smile

That Man, That Woman

 

Dongwan wandered around the streets and alleys aimlessly, like an injured puppy its wound. He really wanted to live happily with Hyoyoen… As Dongwan gazed up into the sky with tears in his eyes, he saw a figure standing on the edge of roof of a high-rise building.

It was Hyoyeon!

Dongwan was stunned and ran up as fast as he could to the roof. He saw the fragile back of Hyoyeon, swaying and shivering on the edge.

That woman, that woman that even loving her a hundred times, a thousand times, a million times, wasn’t enough…

“Hyoyeon-ah!! What are you doing? Come down! Why are you like this! What happened? It’s dangerous! Hyoyeon-ah, please come down. Please please!! Please Hyoyeon-ah don’t do this… Don’t do this to me… Hyoyeon-ah…”

Hyoyeon turned around and was a little taken aback upon seeing Dongwan. He could see the despair and lifelessness in her eyes as he continues to beg her to come down.

“Oppa… Dongwan oppa…I do… I do… I do understand your heart. Why wouldn’t I…? Oppa I’m sorry… ” Hyoyeon said softly. “From the day I know you, till this day, till today; you have always been in my heart. You filled up every single space of my heart. You picked up the bits and pieces of my torn heart and healed it all back together… Oppa, thank you… Thank you so much for everything. Gosh, sometimes I was even glad that I had that accident… Because I met you… Oppa… But it is all meaningless to say all this now. It’s not of use anymore…  Oppa, I’m sorry, I can’t return your feelings anymore. I just can’t… anymore… Oppa, please don’t forget me… Please miss me. But don’t miss me too much or too often. Because… It might hurt just too much...  I don’t want you to hurt, Oppa. Oppa, I’ve never said this before, but now I’m going to say it. I… love… you… oppa. I really really love you. I really do. I love you, Kim Dongwan… ”

That man, I am sorry, I love you…

 

With one last look, one last smile, just for Dongwan, Hyoyeon took a step ahead. As the cold wind penetrated her petite body, she felt free, free from all the hatred and burdens. She felt released from all the pain inflicted by Eric, by her father, by all the lies… In less than a second, the body of a beautiful woman became one without life, one without soul.

Dongwan was left paralysed, not knowing what to say, not knowing what to do… He was slapped coldly by reality right in the face and started screaming and wailing as he could feel his heart tearing into pieces. The woman he loved so much killed herself, right in front of him, right in the sight of his own eyes… And he didn’t stop her… He couldn’t stop her…

“HYOYEON-AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!”

 

That woman, I loved you so much… I wanted to protect you. I wanted to do so many things with you… I wanted to do so many things for you…  But now you’ve gone away, you don’t feel me here … Anymore…Why…? Why...