My stove!

My New Neighbour

It was a disappointment to have to call his biggest supporter, the one person he loved the most and have to tell her that he got a ‘no’ once again.

“It’s okay honey, you’ll have other auditions, don’t worry, alright?”

His mum cheered him on down the phone, giving him encouragement; sometimes he needed more than that though. He has tried and tried, he always thought his voice wasn’t good enough…but his mum told him otherwise, she would praise his voice and tell him how artistic and beautiful it was. Saying, ‘You mustn’t hide your voice, you must share your voice.’ Jongwoon would smile up at his mum who always supported him and feel thankful to her, she believed in her son so much. It made him feel happy to have a mum like he did. Appreciated.

Jongwoon sighed down the phone, with a smile, he answered his mum, “Thanks mum, I’ll work hard for you.”

His mum laughed with joy, “Aigo, my son is very hardworking, it makes me proud.”

A lump in his throat formed without warning, she was always like this, even though this is now the fourth call and he was losing hope, she still had hope for him, saying how she was proud of him, it made him choke up sometimes. He swallowed and without his permission, a small tear rolled down his cheek and splashed onto the cold icy ground, he missed his mum.

“I love you, mum.” He whispered.

As she spoke, Jongwoon could hear the smile in her voice, making him smile too, “I love you too, my son.”

“I’ll hang up first?”

“I’m only a phone call away if you need me.”

“I know, I’ll be going now,” He wanted to talk longer, to hear the comforting voice of his mum tell him once more not to worry, but he knew it had to an end at some point…he quickly removed the phone from his ear and hung up.

Taking a deep breath, Jongwoon rubbed at his eyes and began to walk to the bus stop.

-------------------------------------

 

The morning was cold in his apartment; the heating throughout the buildings hadn’t been working, so right now, Jongwoon happened to be wearing two big jumpers and a thick winter coat.

He yawned and went to the fridge to take out the leftover stew he had made last night so he could heat it up for his breakfast.

But it looked as if he wouldn’t be heating his breakfast up on the stove, because the next that happened was a loud bang and the sounds of a wall crumbling to the floor...Jongwoon stood open mouthed as he dropped the pot of stew on the floor and stared at the gigantic hole in his wall.

“M-m-my wall! What have you done!?” And to make things worse, it was right where his stove was, and now on top, was a pile of bricks. “My stove!” He cried walking over to the hole and seeing on the other side, a shocked young man with a huge hammer in his hand.

“That must have shocked you…” the young man spoke, and then laughed, “It sure did me.”

He was laughing at this situation? Who does that!? He just tore down my wall, and he laughs!? Jongwoon didn’t get mad easily, but this kid, what did he think he was doing? And Jongwoon swore he could see a hint of amusement shining in those big brown eyes of his.

“Why would you do such a thing?” The still horrified Jongwoon asked.

The young man the back of his neck with his hand and with the other put the hammer on the floor replacing it with a picture of an orchid, “Hanging this up, is that a problem?”

Jongwoon wanted to face-palm his face and shake his head, ‘is that a problem?’ he felt like crying…did the boy not see the hole in the wall? Was he stupid enough to use a jackhammer to try and bang the nail into the wall to hang up a picture?

“The small hammer didn’t work, the bigger the better, right?”

That’s because it’s a brick wall! He wanted to scream. Frustrated and annoyed, Jongwoon walked away from the hole and the man and stormed down to the manager immediately…who was this kid anyway? That apartment had been shut off for the past year, why was a boy with no sense now occupying it. So many questions, so many questions, so many questions, he better get an answer for them.

“Ahjusshi!” Jongwoon knocked on the door to his office, “Ahjusshi!”

Grunts and groans came from behind the door and an old man opened the door, looking up at Jongwoon, he groaned again and muttered something unpleasant about Jongwoon under his breath.

“Since when did I have a neighbour, and why is he knocking down my walls?”

The old manager didn’t pay any attention to Jongwoon, and he didn’t react a single bit when hearing the wall had a hole in it, he obviously didn’t care very much for his building…when the old man didn’t answer, Jongwoon asked again.

“When you no pay, I get ‘elp…he fixed place ‘imself, paid ‘imself, ‘elped me out, now you a new neighbour, and he break wall…not my ‘blem, ‘is walls, ‘is…he pay, you pay.”

I…pay? Jongwoon was astonished, “But it was his fault!”

“S’not my ‘blem.”

He was seriously going to break down, Jongwoon didn’t have the money to pay for repairs for the wall, and the manager wasn’t helping with his no teethed speech and greasy bold head, he was being completely unreasonable.

“I’ll pay for the repairs, since it was my fault…hey, gramps, do you have anymore of those nails?”

Nails? For more wall hanging? I don’t think so! If that manager gave him them, he would confiscate them, the boy was useless! The manager grunted and handed him a small plastic box…Jongwoon didn’t know how to respond. As the boy left the room, the manager waved Jongwoon away, but he was leaving already…he ran to catch up with the boy.

“Yah! Yah!”

The boy stopped and turned around, “You’re rude, aren’t you? Treating your elders like that…how old are you anyway?”

He hadn’t even asked him his name yet; “You can’t just bang a nail into the wall like that, not in this building, please…give me the nails.”

The boy smirked at Jongwoon, surprisingly; it sent shivers down his spine…although this boy did have a cute face, and was as a matter-of-fact very handsome (what was the point in lying?) he could still give such an evil smile…with a cold look in his eyes. Jongwoon seemed afraid of what he would do or say next…

“I’ll give them to you…if you pay for the wall and then hang the picture yourself.”

Jongwoon exploded, “PAY FOR THE WALL YOU BROKE?” His annoyance had reached 100%, he wouldn’t mind putting up the picture…that, he had no problem with, he’d be more than happy to help the fellow so he wouldn’t go making a hole in his wall again. But to pay for the damage that he had done? This kid was a joke.

The boy laughed loudly, “Your reaction is brilliant, what’s your name?”

Now anger was rising, “I WON’T PAY!”

He laughed again as he held out his unoccupied hand, “Nice to meet you, I won’t pay, I’m Cho Kyuhyun, age twenty-four.”

Irritated and still not happy with the younger boy named Cho Kyuhyun in front of him, Jongwoon still was polite and held his hand shaking the boys, “Kim Jongwoon, age twenty-eight.”

Maybe telling him his age meant that Cho Kyuhyun would give him more respect…oh, how wrong he was…

 

A/N - Hey guise! I hope you like my first chapter, feedback would be great, I want to know what you think so far! Thank you to those who read and leave a comment and subscribe, I love you all! :) <3