Day of Surprises

Truth of the Matter

I fixed two cups of coffee. My issues with Mr. Jang’s best friend shouldn’t interfere with my work. I was about to knock when I heard the devil himself.  “You’re thinking too far! I don’t like your assistant!”

I almost dropped the tray I was holding. It’s not as if I am dying to date him! How dare he?! I knocked loudly and pushed the door open. The giant towered over my boss’ desk like he owned the freaking place—oh, well. Still! “Coffee, gentlemen?”  He looked at me with cheeks slightly flushed. He must have known I heard him. Serves him right.  I saw Mr. Jang smirking gleefully.  I set the beverages on the nearby coffee table and politely excused myself.

It was just over an hour before I was packing my stuff to go home. Nichkhun never came out of Wooyoung’s office. There were no further appointments for my boss so I just asked permission to go through the intercom or else I might afflict bodily harm to his idiot of a friend.

***

Like we used to do on Fridays, my friends and I congregated at our favorite restaurant just a couple of blocks away from where I work. It was our way of catching up with each other after a week of stress. I already saw my friends Izabelle and Suzy in our favorite booth, nursing their favorite drinks fully engaged in a serious conversation.

“What’s up?” I flopped beside Suzy and motioned for the waiter to come over. I was famished. “Where’s Amber?”

“She’s on her way.” Izah answered and I noticed her unusually glum expression.

“What happened?” She shook her head lightly.

“I’ll tell you once she’s here. I don’t want to keep repeating myself.” I shrugged and let it go and perused the menu given by the wait staff.

Moments later, we were sharing the hearty servings of pasta alfredo and shrimp thermidor—our all time favorites. I shared what happened earlier today and they all dismissed me with a few snorts.

“What’s the big deal? You can’t win ‘em all, Ms. Lee!” Suzy gave my cheek a playful pat. “You already have a gorgeous boyfriend. It’s not fair to catch all the big fish in the sea.”

“I don’t like him, too! I wish I could tell it to his face!” I gritted my teeth.

“Why didn’t you?” Amber raised an eyebrow. I pursed my lips. I can’t tell them that the guy in question was like a demigod in the office. I can imagine Nichkhun raising his perfectly arched brow and asking me why my opinion of him matters. I sighed inwardly.

“I don’t want to be looking for a new job anytime soon.” I reasoned lamely.

After dinner, Izah asked for a bottle of an expensive wine. We were all gaping at her like she had grown two heads. She wasn’t one to spend on a whim.

“What’s the occasion?” It was Amber, already looking guilty for missing something special. She had a memory of a gold fish.   Izah didn’t say anything until the waiter poured each of our glasses with Chardonnay and we were left alone in our booth.

“I’m leaving for the US next Saturday.” Izah said solemnly.  What was new?  Izah’s an American citizen and she had to be there at least once or twice a year. In fact, her scheduled trip would be next month.

“Why so early? You promised we’ll have a joint birthday celebration!” I whined. My birthday’s right after hers.

“It’s not my usual trip.” Tears welled up in her eyes. “I’ll finish my masters and come back.” Both Amber and I looked shocked. Her family wanted her to pursue graduate studies long time ago but she kept refusing for one reason we were all familiar with. Now that she’s leaving, she must have stopped fighting for that . . . person. 

Suzy gulped audibly, “Where?”

“Harvard.” She said simply.

“Wow.” We chorused.

“Shut up.” And we did. In more ways than one. We all knew that once she’s ready to talk, she will.

***

Come Monday, all of my coworkers seemed to give me furtive glances the moment I stepped out of the elevator. And once I get a good view of my cubicle, I knew exactly why. There’s a huge bouquet of assortment orange flowers on top of my desk. My steps slowed down. I knew people were watching me and I didn’t want to look so eager. I mentally checked my calendar and I was sure there wasn’t anything special. Besides, Minho and I had been together for over four years now and we were way past the 100th, 200th or even the 1000th day celebration. It wasn’t White Day or Valentine’s Day. My birthday’s not until next month and I couldn’t think of any pertinent occasion. Also, Minho’s not the type to send me flowers at work. He would always hand any gift to me personally.

I hung my coat carefully on the backrest of my swivel chair and tucked my purse away before I sat on my desk. I congratulated myself for having excellent EQ. I picked the flowers and looked for any card but I didn’t find any. I found it weird. Shall I call my boyfriend and thank him? But what if he didn’t send it? I don’t want it to cause any misunderstanding. It already happened before when I assumed he sent me a candy arrangement and thanked him for it. He thought I was flirting behind his back. It turned out I won in some kind of raffle hosted by the supermarket that I frequented. He said sorry and promised to trust me more but I didn’t want to risk it.

I sat on my desk feeling lost until, “It’s not your birthday yet, is it, Kate?” He tilted his head adorably. I jumped up in shock and felt embarrassed that my boss caught me day dreaming.

“O-oh, no, Wooyoung-ssi!” It was still a few minutes before the work hours actually began and he would insist in calling me by first name until then. But I still find it improper to call him by just “Wooyoung”. “This is just—I should—“  I fumbled with the bouquet. “I don’t even know who sent it.”

“Must be your boyfriend, who else would it be?” He grinned and he looked so much younger than his actual age. “Have all important documents printed for me, please. New set of contacts won’t arrive until the day after tomorrow and I don’t want to be staring at my computer the whole day.” He thanked me and proceeded to his office.

When I thought the day couldn’t get any worse, food delivery from an expensive bistro arrived just before I stepped out for lunch. “Delivery for Ms. Kate Lee.”

“You must be mistaken . . . I didn’t order anything!” I said frantically. Food from that place costs an arm and a leg and I won’t spend that much for food to go! But he just handed me delivery receipt and the name, department, floor and building number were correct and it was paid in full. I stared at him dumbly as he laid the spread of expensive bento on my desk. I pushed a button on the interphone. “Sir, did you order food for lunch?” Which was a stupid question because why would Wooyoung call for delivery when he had someone to do it for him?

No, I didn’t. Why? Came the immediate reply.

“Nothing, Mr. Jang. S-Sorry.” I thanked the delivery guy and handed him a few bills. The food would practically feed three to four people. I placed the food on a tray and set it up in the makeshift pantry. I knocked on Wooyoung’s door and hoped that he didn’t have anything planned for lunch. He looked up from reading some papers.

“Some good soul sent me food. Care to join me for lunch?”

He looked puzzled for a second before, “Uh, yeah. Might as well.” He would often lose track of time and if I thought he still hasn’t eaten anything after I get back from lunch, I would call for some sandwich or salad.

“What’s the occasion?” He asked once we were settled and ready to eat. I shrugged and prayed that the food wasn’t poisoned or anything. “So, how’s everything going so far?”

I was taken aback for a second before I realized he was just being polite. “Okay, I guess.”

“You’re spacing out a lot today. Is there something wrong?” He asked again in a serious tone.

“Aniya.” I shook my head, still distraught about the flowers and the food.

“You know better than to take matters of the heart to work.” My eyes widened in horror.

***

“You know better than to take matters of the heart to work.” I figured she must have had some discord with her boyfriend since he sent flowers this morning and sent lunch today. I should know that this was one way of saying sorry. Been there, done that. She was about to say something when her mobile rang. She excused herself and answered the call.

“Yobosaeyo?”  She paused and listened to what the person on the other line had to say. “Right now? But—“ She looked at the food and her forehead creased. “Minho, sorry. I have a luncheon meeting. How about dinner?” Pause. “Yeah. Okay. See you.” Pause. “I love you too.”

Judging by her reaction, the food wasn’t from her boyfriend. I absently put a sumptuous salmon sushi roll in my mouth while watching my assistant fidget in her seat when I remembered something. I dropped my chop sticks. “!”

 

 

A/N: Gorgeouskate, like it? Love it? Hate it? Comment. hehe