;IV.

To Daddy, With Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taehee still cannot comprehend how she accepted Jongin’s offer and moving in with him. Maybe it was a moment of weakness, but now she cannot influence him, not even her own self. She watches the tall and handsome man unlock the door of his apartment, and then step aside.

“Please, make yourself comfortable” he eases her inside, like the gentleman he is not.

The woman steps in the unfamiliar apartment, and feeling out of place. Just what is she doing here? Why is she so weak-willed, that she accepted such an offer?

“Go wash up. I’ll set the table.” Jongin says with a well-forced tenderness while placing her bags on the floor. “The bathroom is the second door to your right.” He then adds.

After letting her know that he will take her stuff in her newly appointed room, he disappears in the apartment. Taehee goes to the bathroom and washes her hands and face. The cool water and crystalline droplets shining in the artificial light seem to make her relax a bit. The bathroom is spacious, tidy and blue.

She has left the hospital just a couple of hours before, and Jongin attended her back home, so she could pack some clothes and other necessary things. He is such a gentleman, that he confuses her at times. But maybe, that’s just who he is.

The alluring scent of food enters her nostrils, and Taehee walks slowly towards the kitchen, gasping at the table filled with food. It should be set for a dozen of people, and not just two! Also the man preparing all of that is y as hell. Wearing a black tee, torn jeans, with a white apron around his manly body, and black disheveled hair, he is the ultimate aphrodisiac. The woman stands by the table awkwardly, trying to recognize any of the food displayed before her. Unfortunately, she doesn’t succeed.

“Oh, hey.” Jongin whips around, with a saucepan in his hand. “Have a seat. The food will be ready in a minute.”

At the suggestion she sits down. A second later, Jongin places the food – whatever he has cooked – in a bowl, and sits on the stool facing hers. He then goes on to present all the dishes he’s prepared, most of them containing proteins. Taehee’s eyes widen, as she’s unable to remember all the dishes. Still, Jongin puts a bit of everything in her plate, waiting nervously as she tastes it.

“So? How is it?” He asks expectantly.

“It’s delicious.”

Oh dear, Kim Jongin is a wonderful cook!

A few moments of silence fall between the two adults. Taehee eats ever so slowly while Jongin watches her with a silly smile plastered on his face. All of a sudden, his home feels whole, her feminine presence adding color to his empty walls.

The fateful euphoria triggers him to ask the much dreaded question.

“Did you tell your parents?”

Taehee, obviously stops eating and places the chopsticks next to the plate. Alarmed, Jongin blabbers about this and that, trying to talk himself out of the mess.

“I have not.” The woman affirms coldly, her hands resting on her still flat stomach.

He stops his nonsense and glances at her questioningly.

“I believe you’re curious as to why I want to keep the baby.” Taehee then states.  Jongin clad in a cold sweat can only nod weakly.

This has been her story for so long, that it feels weird sharing. Because, if there is one thing Taehee hates, it’s the look of pity on people’s faces.

“Because I don’t want to be like my parents. You see, Jongin, I’m an unwanted child. Thus, I’ve been abandoned on the steps of an orphanage. Just because some people didn’t want to be responsible for my life, it does not mean I won’t be responsible for another’s. You see, the child I’m carrying in my womb is not only yours, but also mine. And I won’t give him or her up, no matter what.”

Her words are filled with confidence, or maybe all of it is a well-practiced act. She was abandoned and she raised by herself. Now, she talks about it like it means nothing. Jongin sees through her façade – or that’s what he’d like to believe is–, but as anyone can see, she is indeed a strong woman.

He simply nods and proceeds to picking at his food.

“Honestly, I don’t feel ready to be a father.” The ashy eyes lock onto her petite face.

Taehee tilts her head to the side, urging him to continue.

“I haven’t had any parental influence in my childhood either. It’s always been me and my noonas. So, I’m afraid that I won’t be a good father. Still, I realized that this bond is not so easy to break.” He takes a second, his eyes gazing towards her stomach, which is hidden by the table. “We might not be on good terms, and we won’t even get married, but as long as the baby will grow up in a family with both parents, I think that is enough.”

His words sting, but Taehee knows he is telling the truth. They are not acquaintances, only strangers. Rivals even. Whatever their relationship might be, they have no commitments with each other. The only commitment that binds them together comes from the unborn.

“I’ll stay with you until the baby is born.” She adds, after easing her burning throat with fresh water. “There doesn’t have to be any kind of commitment between us. Only, that, the baby will get to know both parents. Also, if you or I ever decide to get married later, it won’t serve as an element of cutting all relations with each other.”

The man nods. How stoic and businesslike it sounds. But maybe it’s the best. That way, they can avoid useless sentimen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter