Chapter 2

Entangled Fates

Joong Ki’s POV:

“Doctor Joong Ki is here.” The secretary said and I immediately headed in.

I did a check up on the Chairman who looked weaker than ever. The Chairman was practically my savior, he helped me a lot sponsoring me on my studies and to be able to reach what I am now was all because of him. So, seeing him unhealthy like this made me feel sad and helpless as well.

“Sir, I think now would be a good time to do the surgery. I can schedule you tomorrow if you want to.” I offered.

“And be confined for a week? So that everybody can find out that Chairman Moon is getting weaker by the day? No I can’t! Nobody should find out I have an illness! Not even my daughter. Do you understand?” Chairman Moon sternly said.

“ I clearly understand sir. It’s just that I don’t think controlling the pain would be good for you. Especially on your condition and the work load you are taking on being a Chairman” I explained.

“Because of the tumor?” Chairman Moon looked at me.

“You said the chances of staying alive would be about 60%. What about the 40%? I’d die right?” he shouted.

“It is true that there is a possibility that the operation would fail, but it doesn’t mean that you can’t take that risk especially if after that you could be cured.” I pointed out.

“Just like how I hope my mother would.”

“ You don’t understand. I’d rather bare the pain than watch my company go into the wrong hands. There are a lot of people out there who are just too greedy for money. Also what about my daughter? I can’t see her suffering!” Chairman Moon explained.

“I didn't sponsor your university and medical school fees just to lecture me on what to do, I know you are what I see in you, and right now I suggest that a good doctor like you should just give me some painkillers.” Chairman Moon said.

I had no choice but to give him what he asked for especially when a patient is being stubborn. I grabbed my bag and got some medicine there.

“Here sir. Drink this three times a day. I hope it helps relieve the pain.” I said and handed it to him.

Leaving me not much of a choice, I gave him a bow and left the mansion.

I checked my watch it was now 10:30, I still have 30 minutes to get to Seoul University for my lecture. I drove there directly and parked the car at the faculty area only to find a certain persistent student of mine waiting.

“Good morning Doctor Joong Ki!” my student Bora greeted looking very giddy.

“Good morning.” I replied to her while walking briskly as I head to the faculty office.

“You sure have quite some fans there.” Doctor Hyun Joong said while pointing to the door where I found some female students peeking at the room.

“They are not all mine. Some of them are pretty smitten for you as well.” I teased and nodged him in the arm.

“I’m sure being named Joong have something to do with it.” Hyun Joong said as he took a bite of his apple.

“I think I am actually agreeing with you.” I said while getting exam papers out from my desk.

“You know that student of yours, what’s her name again? Bora? Oh yeah. That Yoon Bora is quite hot. Don’t you think?” Hyun Joong asked.

“I don’t know. What do you think?” I asked him while I busied myself checking the submitted papers.

“Well, I think she’s hot and I also know that she has hots for you.  So why not give it a try?” Hyun Joong teased.

“Yah! You clearly know that student- teacher relationships aren’t allowed in this school right? Besides even if it is allowed I still wouldn’t dream of it. She’s not really my type. She’s the opposite of my type.” I explained.

“Oh, so you have a type?” Hyun Joong asked.

“Yes, of course I do.” I said and grinned.

 

Chaewon’s POV:

After signing and reading documents the whole morning, I felt oddly dizzy and tired. So I decided to take a little trip to the coffee shop to take a break and relax my mind. While I was walking on my way there I found Jaehyun oppa’s car parked in front of the shop.

“Omo! Is he here for me?” I suddenly became cheery and immediately head inside the shop when I found him with another girl.

“Who’s she?”

I felt a little pang of jealously that it was not me he was with but another girl who seemed oddly cheery talking to him.

“Should I be jealous? No. I am his girlfriend. So whoever that girl is she is probably just someone he knows.” I told myself.

I calmly bought my coffee and walked towards where he and the girl are sitting.

“Oh? Oppa! I thought you were busy! What brings you here?” I smiled and asked.

“We- uh, we have some partnership coming up, we were really busy and stressed in the office so I decided to grab a coffee to drink while talking about it.” He explained.

“Oh, so who is she?” I asked trying to even my voice as much as possible. Hopefully I didn’t sound like a jealous girlfriend.

“Oh yes, right. Chaewon ah, this is my secretary Lee Dam Bi. Secretary Lee, this is my girlfriend Moon Chaewon.” Jae Hyun oppa introduced.

I feel proud that he called me his girlfriend in front of this flirt’s face. Though I feel sorry for her as well, because she's pretty but Jaehyun would never fall for girls like her. Jaehyun and I already have our parents approval, two prominent families have agreed to this relationship and eventually i'll be his fiance and there's nothing that could change that.

“Nice to meet you.” I said and reach out my hand to shake hers.

I looked at my watch, not wanting to deal with more of this awkwardness and decided to head back to the office now that my suspicion is clear.

“Oppa, take care okay? I’ll get going now. See you later.” I said and kissed him on the cheek.

“It was nice to meet you.” I said to Dam Bi who now I call Bambi in my head.

“Chaewon ah, we were just about to leave anyway let me give you a ride back.” He said while grabbing my wrist.

“Oh, okay. That would be great!” I said and smiled.

I ended up sitting beside Jaehyun oppa in front and Bambi was now sitting in the back seat looking a bit annoyed, and that made my assumption of her correct.

She has a crush on him. 

When we arrive at my office I got down Jaehyun's car and said farewell. I waited for the car to go out of sight before I got back in the building, but then while it drove a bit away from the office, it stopped. Then I saw that girl Bambi got out from the car and sat at the front seat with oppa.

“I knew that girl was bad news!”

 

Joong Ki’s POV:

After two straight hours of boring lectures from me, I noticed the class were now a bit unfocused using their phone in class, and some are already looking bored, and sleepy except for a few and one of them was Yoon Bora.

She is paying too much attention, raises her hand whenever she can and does all sorts of things just for me to get her attention.

Her actions really starting to bother me and it’s not because of me getting attracted to her, but I am getting a bit tired and bothered of this little crush she has for me. What can I do though? I need this job.

Deciding not to go on further with the lecture to give the students a break, “Okay, class dismissed.” I declared.

The students jumped out from their seats, already planning their next activity with classmates after this class, except for one student. Yoon Bora.

“Still not leaving?” I asked her while clearing up my desk myself.

“I still have some questions from the lesson that I don’t really understand Professor!” she begged in a really annoying cutesy tone.

“Sorry, I can’t help you with that now. I need to go somewhere today and I am kind of in a hurry.” I said as I checked my watch.

“Fine. At least have this then.” She said and handed me a box of chocolates.

“Thanks, I’m sure my sister would like this.” I smiled.

“B-but I bought that for you.” She said.

“Yup you did, and now I would like to give it to my sister.” I smiled.

She opened wide in shock and stormed out of the classroom.

I shut down the projector, erased the board, got my things, and headed back to my car to drive to the hospital where I still have three hours of work to do.

While I was working, I went on to visit my mother who was sleeping soundly. She has been sleeping like that for almost a year already. The reason I have to work two to three jobs a day was because of her. I have to pay her hospital bills and also provide for my sister.

“Mom, today is little Yuri’s birthday. Too bad you’re not here to celebrate it with her this time.” I whispered.

“ We miss you a lot mom, I hope you wake up soon.” I said and kissed her palm before I got out.

After my work, I stopped to the nearest Paris Baguette shop and chose the cutest cake for my lovely dongsaeng Yuri.

“I’m sure she would love this.”

I pulled up in a small neighborhood and opened up the gate to our house.

Unlike the Moon’s house, our house is just pretty simple. It is not very extravagant and huge but it is warm and big enough to fit a family on it.

I opened the light to the kitchen and kept the cake hidden. I went to my closet to change into comfortable clothes and started to cook the food for dinner.

“I’m home!” my sister called out.

“Oh, you’re back!” I said while she came near me and gave me a hug.

“Why are you so cheery today?” I asked.

“That’s because it’s my birthday.” She pointed out.

“Oh, it is?” I pretend not you know while I puposely ignored her and focused on my cooking. “I thought it was still next month?” I asked.

“Yah! Oppa! How can you forget your only sister’s birthday? That’s unfair! I don’t forget yours!” She protested and stormed away to her room.

I got the cake out from where I hid it and opened it. I got a match and lit the candles up.

I held up the cake and began singing. “Saengil chukka hamnida, saengil chukka hamnida…”

“Oppa!” She came out to take a peek and saw the cake.

I carefully placed it on the table.

“Yah! I hate you, you know?” she said and punched my stomach.

“What did you do that for?” I asked while pretending to be in pain.

“Come on oppa, that was a joke.” She said while sticking her tongue out but I just sat there and continued acting hurt.

“Oppa! Mianhe, gwenchana? Are you really hurt? Can I see?” she asked worriedly.

Then I surprised her by tickling her.

“Happy 11th birthday to my favorite dongsaeng in the world!” I said.

“I’m sorry that because of work, Oppa doesn’t have time for you anymore.”

“Thank you oppa!” She hugged me tightly.

“I just wish Mom was here.” She pouted and sighed.

“Don’t worry Yuri ah, I’m sure mom would get back to us soon.” I assured her and patted her in the back.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Extra characters that appeared:

Lee Dam Bi :

– Jae Hyun’s secretary (whom Chaewon secretly calls Bambi)

Dr Kim Hyun Joong :

- a doctor that also teaches medicine at Seoul University where Joong Ki also teaches

- eyecandy of the students, looks too good to even be an idol

- He and Joong Ki are close friends since college

Song Yuri :

– Joong Ki’s little sister (age 11)

– Currently studies at Seoul Arts High School