Second Chances

Second Chances

 

 

Junho can hardly believe his own eyes when he spots a familiar mop of black hair towering a good foot above the rest of the people on the busy street. He almost shouts out but the figure ducks into a store and Junho frowns. Suddenly, seconds later, he comes back out and their eyes lock.

Junho thinks a moment like this should be something out of a cheesy movie, full of slow motion running and music. It's not like that at all. He just stands there awkwardly as the boy, no, it's man at this point, walks towards him. “Hey.” Junho starts to say slowly before it doesn't matter because he's being enveloped in a huge bear hug.

“Chansung,” he half breathes, half squeaks out. Chansung pulls away, smiling too brilliantly at him. Funny how Junho still has every detail of that smile memorized, and how it's still just as infectious to him. “What are you doing out here?” Chansung asks, his hand resting on Junho's shoulder.

“My company is thinking of expanding out here, so I'm here for a few days to scout the area.” He wonders how long it's been since he's seen Chansung. Obviously too long, since he seems to have forgotten that Chansung lived out here. “I was walking around the markets near my hotel.” Chansung frowns.

“You should have called!” Junho rubs his head guilty. “You should stay with us.” Junho's head snaps up.

“Us?” he says instantly, too late to realize how suspicious his tone is. Chansung doesn't seem to notice though. “Yeah, Wooyoung and me. What, you didn't know we lived together?” Junho shakes his head, opens his mouth to ask the only thing that's on his mind but Chansung beats him to it. “We broke up a long time ago, before we started living together. But we're still good friends so, it just sort of worked out this way.”

“I'm sure he would love to have you stay so you have to.” With that, Chansung grabs onto Junho and starts pulling him amongst the crowd, weaving in and out until they reach Junho's hotel. At Junho's questioning look, Chansung just shrugs. “It's the nicest hotel in the area.” And yeah, it's funny how Chansung still knows details about him too.

When they finally pull up to Chansung's place, the sun is setting. They go into the house and Chansung calls out for Wooyoung. “Hey, what took you so long...” Wooyoung starts to say but then he walks in the room and sees Junho, who flashes him a quick smile. Wooyoung stares, then starts to click his tongue looking towards Chansung. “What did I tell you about bringing home strange boys?” And then the both of them start to laugh as Wooyoung flings himself at Junho and Junho can't help but join in the laughter.

That night he calls Junsu, because he's the only one Junho really keeps in contact with. “You'll never guess where I am,” he says, pausing for a bit, “I'm at Chansung's.” He can hear Junsu choking and subsequently coughing. “What, did you finally?” Junsu is saying but Junho is quick to cut him off. “What, no no no,” his voice raising with embarrassment.

“How are they?” Junsu asks and Junho stares at his phone incredulously. “You knew? And never told me?” Junsu laughs. “I figured you knew, it seems like something relevant to your interests,” he says, teasing him. Junho buries his face in his hands. He regrets the day he told this man any of his secrets.

The next day, Chansung and Wooyoung show Junho around the town. They have a good time catching up and the day goes by too quickly for Junho's liking. The weather is nice this time of year and Junho can feel himself already getting lost in this place.

Chansung is out when Junho wakes up, so Junho and Wooyoung pull out a photo album that Wooyoung's mother made some time ago. They start flipping through old pictures, neatly written captions and colorful paper framing the pages. Junho doesn't mind the memories, thinks now he can't even remember the bad parts.

They turn the page and a picture of Wooyoung and Nichkhun, their arms wrapped around each other, grin up at them. Junho sneaks a glance at Wooyoung and what he sees in his eyes is like a slap in the face.

“You loved him?” Wooyoung tenses. Junho nudges him on the shoulder, wants to say it doesn't matter, it's fine but Wooyoung cuts off his thoughts. “Do you love Chansung still?” He counters and Junho's immediate reaction is to deny it, but he pauses at the last word.

He ducks his head. “You knew?” Wooyoung hums, nodding. He looks off into the distance. “I knew since we were trainees.” Wooyoung laughs and Junho wants to sink into the couch and disappear. He wonders if it's really been that long and finds he can't even remember the first time he admitted it to himself.

“I always thought he was into you too.” Wooyoung goes on, frowning a bit. “But nothing ever happened so when the opportunity came up,” he gestures around with his hands, “I'm sorry. I never asked him about you, I didn't think it was my place. And yes, to your question. But I was young back then you know.” He chuckles but he's got a wistful look in his eyes now.

“It doesn't matter, what's done is done.” Junho wants to ask more, wants to know more but he supposes there will be another time and place for that. They finish up looking at the album, laughing along the way. When they close the book and Junho stands, Wooyoung grabs his wrist. Junho pauses but doesn't look back, just stands, waiting.

“Seeing you again is the best thing that's happened to him in a long time,” he says and Junho doesn't know if it's a warning or what but his heart leaps unexpectedly. Then Wooyoung drops his wrist and the moment passes.

Later that night, Junho calls his boss. He's supposed to go home tomorrow, but somehow he can't just end it like this. After some debate, his boss agrees to an extra two days and anything after that would be considered personal vacation time. Junho knows it's silly, he hasn't even told Chansung and Wooyoung how long he was supposed to stay and now he's just extended his stay.

But he thinks back to that morning, with Wooyoung and something stirs in his heart. And then he's hit with the sudden image of Chansung smiling when he first saw him. And really, Junho's too old for this, these feelings and if he's honest with himself, he thinks he's already missed his chance. But something's still there and he just needs to sort this out.

The next day, Taecyeon drops by. He walks in carrying a bag full of food and stops short when he sees Junho standing in the kitchen. He drops the bag on the counter and clasps Junho strongly on the shoulder as Wooyoung walks in. “Hey Taec,” he says causally.

“Am I the only one that didn't know these two were living together?” Junho nearly screams as Taecyeon and Wooyoung double over in laughter. It turns out Taecyeon comes over pretty regularly, or as regularly as his schedule will allow. Junho wonders if it's because he's a good hyung or bored or both but he supposes it doesn't matter much.

Taecyeon stays for dinner and it's nice to have the four of them together again. Late that night, after Taecyeon's gone and Wooyoung's sleeping, Chansung and Junho are drinking wine on the couch, the television flickering with whatever light night program is on. They are pressed side by side, their knees knocking, laughing over nothing. It strikes Junho, this feeling and he remembers the old days.

Suddenly the words that Wooyoung told him spring up in his head. “This has all been really nice,” he whispers. Chansung blinks slowly then breaks out into a wide grin. He lies his head on Junho's shoulder, snuggles a little closer. “I missed you,” Chansung confesses and it's too much. Junho cannot deal with this, with them.

“We should get everyone together.” It's the first thing to pop into his head, he clings to the thought, needs a distraction. “It's been so long since we've all been together, alone.” Chansung pulls away and Junho has to will himself not to reach out to stop him.

And that's how they end up planning a dinner party. Somehow it works out that they all have free time in two weeks. They divide up the work and it's all going smoothly. No one mentions the giant elephant in the room though and Junho hardly thinks it's his place. The others were so much closer to him, so Junho doesn't feel right. So if they aren't bringing it up, Junho isn't going to either.

It's the night before Junho leaves. Wooyoung's gone to sleep early and Junho is packing his bags in the guest room. He jumps when he looks up to see Chansung standing silently in the doorway. Chansung's blinking rapidly and Junho knows him well enough to know what it means. He beckons Chansung into the room.

In five steps, Chansung's got him in a tight hug and Junho uses one hand to rub his back. “I wish you would stay,” he mumbles into Junho's neck. Junho feels choked up, wants to say he wants to stay too, that he wishes it was just that easy. Instead, he says the only thing he feels safe with. “You'll see me soon enough.”

Chansung looks at him with wet eyes and Junho feels all his resolve crumble. “I'll make sure to visit more often too,” he says and Chansung visibly brightens. “Promise.” Chansung nods and heads towards the door. Only he lingers in the door frame, and Junho can feel the deep thumping of his heart in his own chest.

He turns, looks back and it's over. Junho doesn't know how many steps it takes to get there because now he's kissing Chansung. He's gripping onto Chansung's shirt like it's a lifeline as everything is focused in on this moment. But then he pulls away and Chansung is just staring at him.

Junho doesn't know how to deal with this, so he acts on instinct. He shoves Chansung out of the way and slams the door shut, locks it. The next morning he leaves before anyone else wakes up and that's it. He doesn't answer the phone when Chansung or Wooyoung call, doesn't read their texts.

He just can't.

Soon enough, time passes and it's time to go back. He calls up Junsu and asks if he wants to ride together and Junsu says yes but in a soft tone. Junho suspects Wooyoung has told him something's happened. The train ride is quiet and Junsu keeps giving him worried glances, but he respects Junho too much to ask. Junho's grateful for that because he doesn't even know what he would say.

When they pull up to the house, Junho realizes they are the first to arrive. He has a moment of panic, his vision swirling before Junsu links their arms together. “These things have a way of working out,” is all he says before he walks them up to the door. Junho lets out his breath when Wooyoung answers wearing a yellow apron.

He rushes them in and in a blink of an eye, Wooyoung is the one grabbing onto Junho's arm. He pulls him into the guest room, sits him on the bed. “Stay,” he commands before disappearing. Junho can sort of feel the panic creeping back but it floods back full force when Wooyoung returns, Chansung in tow.

Junho springs to his feet as Wooyoung shoves Chansung into the room. “Fix this,” he hisses, looking directly at Junho and then he leaves, closing the door. Chansung's just staring at Junho and for once Junho cannot read him. He swallows hard, looks down.

“I'm really sorry,” he babbles, “It was like that moment and then I didn't know and...” Junho keeps tripping over his words.

“You're an idiot.” And then Chansung is right in front of him, still towering over him, leaning down. Junho's eyes go wide as their lips meet. Chansung's hand tilts Junho's head up and they are kissing until Junho can't breathe anymore. Chansung pulls back, smiling gently. He pinches both of Junho's cheeks, stretches them. “And that's for running away.”

Chansung laughs and just like that, Junho knows everything is okay. Chansung grabs his hand, lacing their fingers together. Junho tugs him closer. “Hey.” He leans up and steals a kiss. “I like you.” Chansung's eyes twinkle. “I know. I like you too.”

When they open the door, Wooyoung falls over on the floor and Junsu backs away slowly. Junho is about to lunge at the eavesdroppers when the bell rings. Wooyoung scrambles up and flees to the door. Junsu looks down at their hands and raises an eyebrow. “Told you,” he smirks.

They are all sitting around the table as Wooyoung brings the last of the food in. Chansung keeps bumping his foot against Junho's and smiling like an idiot. Nichkhun and Taecyeon are laughing at something Wooyoung is saying. Junsu is looking around at all of them fondly, in his own happy quiet way.

It's almost perfect except for-

Then there is a knock on the door.

A silence hits the room before Wooyoung slowly stands. “I'll get it.” Junho looks around at everyone's bewildered expressions, then over at Chansung. He's smiling too widely and Junho narrows his eyes at him, but he just keeps smiling. Taecyeon's clenching his napkin and Nichkhun has his eyes closed. Junsu just shrugs at Junho, unsure of the situation.

They hear the door open, then a loud thud. “Guys!” Wooyoung shouts, “Some really short guy just showed up, from Seattle...”

There is a loud commotion as they all start shouting and scrambling up from their seats. They are half way between crying and laughing as they stumble down the hallway. And Junho knows without a doubt that yeah, now it's kind of perfect.