Worth and Sacrifice

Worth and Sacrifice

Sunny Lee was an ordinary college student. For the most, part she got along with everyone. She was cute, not too loud, and didn’t really like being the center of attention. If life was a video game, she would be that non-playable character that people could remember but not care too much about. That didn’t bother her though. Sunny’s philosophy was one of observation first then action. She did fine with that outlook her first year in college.  Now it was her sophomore year and she finally declared her major in music, singing specifically.  All was well until one day she had her first encounter with the girl known as Yuri Kwon.

 

The arts department was where the musicians, painters, and dancers spent most of their time on campus, perfecting their styles and techniques. Sunny was no different. Every day during the evenings before dinner she would come to practice. The girl had singing skills. It was like listening to an angel. Like an angel, one evening it had called out to someone.

 

Sunny was in the practice room singing to herself with her back facing the door. She didn’t notice that she had gained an audience. The taller figure was leaning on the doorframe, mesmerized by the siren before her eyes. Minutes passed as this stranger watched, almost moved to tears by Sunny’s singing. When she finished the song, she took a sip from her water bottle and turned around to fetch something from her backpack. Finally noticing that she had company, the poor girl jumped and spit out her water in fear and surprise.

 

“Oh wow! I’m sorry! Are you okay,” asked the stranger as she ran out and patted the back of the now choking Sunny.

 

Regaining composure Sunny sighed and said, “You nearly killed me. What are you doing here?”

 

“I’m truly sorry about that. I was coming up from the basement and just so happened to hear your singing. You have an amazing voice. I had to get a better look at the person who captured my attention like that,” said the stranger.

 

“T…thank you,” Sunny said while blushing at the compliment. “Wait…you look familiar. Since you said you were in the basement you must be a dancer but I think I’ve seen you from somewhere.”

 

The stranger asked, “Do you go to our sporting events by chance?”

 

“Yes, every now and then. Why,” asked Sunny hesitantly. All she could see was the stranger in front of her grin as she looked directly in her eyes. It suddenly dawned on Sunny. “Oh! You are Yuri Kwon! The head cheerleader Yuri Kwon! I didn’t recognize you.”

 

Raising an eyebrow intrigued at the response Yuri asked, “So you really didn’t know who I was?”

 

“No. I mean I knew of you and I’ve seen you at the few games I went to last year but I don’t really keep up with those sorts of things. Wow. You’re much prettier in person,” said Sunny not realizing what came out of .

 

“You know my name. Care to tell me yours,” asked Yuri with a genuine smile.

 

“It’s Sunny, Sunny Lee,” replied the shorter girl.

 

“How would you like this proposition then…why don’t I take you out to grab a bite to eat, my treat, since I nearly scared you to death,” said Yuri offering Sunny her hand.

 

Sunny looked at the taller girl carefully. She didn’t see anything malicious about how Yuri was acting and she was hungry. Smiling back Sunny answered, “Why not. I’ve finished all my practicing for today anyway.” With that, Sunny took Yuri’s hand and offer unbeknownst that she was taking a far greater deal than she had anticipated.

 

Since that day, the two would always find time before dinner to meet up. Yuri was entranced by Sunny’s singing that she began to fall for the girl. While Sunny loved the attention from Yuri, she was completely oblivious to the younger girl’s feelings. That is until one day Yuri couldn’t hold it in any longer.   

 

“Sunny bunny,” cooed Yuri as she wrapped her arms around Sunny’s waist.

 

“Ah! I know that tone Ms. Kwon. There is something that you want from me otherwise you wouldn’t call me by that name,” said Sunny turning around to face the person that has captured her.

 

Yuri paused momentarily and said, “Yes there is something that I want. The first time I heard your voice, I felt something stir deep inside of me. I can’t really explain it but it had my heart beating so fast and made me all nervous. When I ran down the hallway and stopped at this door to see you there I stopped breathing. You were so amazing. I couldn’t move but luckily you started to choke.”

 

“Hey! That wasn’t cool. You scared me half to death sneaking around like a ninja,” exclaimed Sunny.

 

Yuri removed a hand to tuck Sunny’s hair behind her ear and kept a gentle hold on the back of the girl’s head. She noticed the blush on the smaller girl’s face and that gave her the courage to continue on. “I am truly sorry for that but I am thankful because it gave me a chance to talk to you. I got to know you more and I want to continue to do so. What I’m trying to say is that I want to spend even more time with you and learn everything about you Sunny,” said Yuri.

 

Confused, Sunny asked, “What are you trying to tell me Yuri?”

 

The taller girl pulled the other in a closer embrace. She the back of Sunny’s hair and whispered, “I want you to be my girlfriend Sunny.”

 

“I don’t know what to say Yuri,” whispered back the shorter girl making Yuri increase their distance slightly.

 

“Please give it a shot. We can see how things work out for a bit. We’ve gotten close but I would like the chance, if you would let me, to get closer,” pleaded Yuri.

 

Normally, Sunny would see Yuri so full of confidence and always smiling with that lopsided grin. However, the girl in front of her was scared and vulnerable. It was a side that she’d never seen in Yuri. Something inside of her wanted to protect the younger girl from being hurt. She looked into Yuri’s eyes for a few moments analyzing the girl one last time before shrinking the gap between them. Pouty lips met trembling ones but soon that tremor faded away and was replaced by something more soothing. Innocent kisses were exchanged without words. When Sunny pulled them apart she knew what her decision was. She placed a hand on the burning cheek in front of her and whispered, “Yes.”

 

 That day Yuri got her wish and it made her extremely happy. Unfortunately, that was the beginning of Sunny’s problems. When one dates one of the most popular girls on campus, one must remember that it comes with consequences. Sunny being slightly detached from the world of the sports crowd, didn’t realize that she just set herself up for that unwanted attention that she loathes.

 

As Sunny and Yuri became the cozy love birds, more and more gossip began to spread. At first, it was all about how Yuri turned down everyone’s advances. When at parties or clubs, she would only dance around with her friends and reject anyone else. The general populace could only conclude that she was dating someone.

 

“Who the hell could she be with?”

 

“It’s definitely not anyone on a team.”

 

“I know right? What loser did she find that thinks they are better than us anyway?”

 

“They better hope we never find out.”

 

“Yeah! Not only would the guys, but the girls would be after them too!”

 

“That’s the power of Yuri.”

 

Sunny could hear every single word from the people sitting around the table behind her. They were a rowdy bunch of co-eds. They had nothing good to say about Yuri Kwon’s new “toy.” It bothered the girl hearing these things. Sunny loved the time she spent with Yuri. She had never felt so alive with someone in her life. Sure, she had dated others in the past, but Yuri was special. She would shower Sunny with affection, open doors for her, even cook her dinner. She did it with no complaints. If it was from Yuri, she could handle the attention without getting anxiety. Sunny wouldn’t trade the world for that feeling of love. For that reason, she put up with all the gossip without worrying her girlfriend over it.

 

Months passed and people began to pay more attention to what Yuri would do and who she was with. They started to notice there was always this short girl around Yuri, eating with her, holding hands with her, being seen coming from her apartment. They had their suspicions but they couldn’t confirm it since they couldn’t be seen together all the time. On their 6th month anniversary the two went out to celebrate. It was at a nice restaurant with a romantic atmosphere. They were so absorbed with each other that they didn’t notice the basketball captain on his date as well. They didn’t see him take the photographs of the girl dating the Yuri Kwon. The word spread fast after that. Sunny was a target.

 

At first, people would bump into Sunny on the street. They would apologize and she thought nothing of it. Then people would “trip” and waste food and drink on her. The final straw came when she was walking home and a car loaded with people from the football team drove past and splashed her with dirty rain water.

 

“What the hell is your problem you jerk,” screamed Sunny.

 

Hearing Sunny’s screams, the car reversed and splashed her a second time. Someone shouted, “Go back to where you came from you nobody! Stop brainwashing Yuri! You ain’t worth her time!”  Laughing loudly, they sped off.

 

Sunny was dejected. Never in her life had she been humiliated this badly before. She could only think that she didn’t deserve this kind of attention. The small girl fell down on her knees and sobbed. She couldn’t think straight. The only thing Sunny wanted to do now was disappear. It was getting cold as the sun began to set. She knew she couldn’t stay like this so she took out her cell phone and called the first person on her mind.

 

Sunny sat on Yuri’s bed after taking a long shower. The younger girl came in with a cup of tea and gave it to the one in front of her. Yuri kneeled down and took Sunny’s free hand in hers. She the tiny hand with her thumb and asked quietly, “How long has this been happening?”

 

Placing the cup on the nightstand, Sunny sighed and whispered, “Since our second month.”

 

“What,” Yuri asked in shock. “This has been going on for six months and you didn’t even tell me about it? Why would you keep this from me Sunny?”

 

“I thought I could handle it Yuri,” said Sunny. “You were so happy. I was so happy. It started off as just talk. I didn’t care about them. They didn’t know who I was so it was okay. It hurt but the happiness I got from being with you was worth the pain.”    

 

“Sunny,” said Yuri as she got up and hugged her girlfriend.

 

“I don’t know if I can handle this Yuri,” sobbed the girl. “Things keep getting worse and worse. I don’t want to lose you but I can’t take this. Maybe I’m not worthy enough for you.”

 

“Look at me Sunny,” she said as she cupped Sunny’s face. “I love you. Nothing in the world can change my mind about that. I am not worthy of you for having you put up with this for so long by yourself. I could only see my happiness and not your pain. For that, I cannot forgive myself. Starting today I will make it up to you. I’ll become a person worthy of being by your side forever.”

 

“What are you going to do,” asked Sunny.

 

“I’m quitting the team,” answered Yuri without wavering.

 

“You can’t do that,” protested Sunny.

 

Yuri shook her head and continued, “I can and I will. I will not tolerate these people harassing you. My teammates are supposed to have my back and support me but they obviously cannot do that. They are the ones that are not worth my time. I don’t want to have anything to do with these so called friends any longer. You were the only person that liked me for me and not my popularity. Those things didn’t matter to you and that meant the world to me. I’d take one of you over a thousand of them. Can you please forgive me Sunny?” All Sunny could do was look down.

 

Several more months had passed and Yuri had quit the cheerleading team. At the time it was a major shock for the entire campus, but that soon died down. Yuri focused on her dance more, trying to find release for her restless heart. Sunny said that she needed some time to think about things and for things to settle down a bit. Yuri was promised that she will return with her answer. She waited.

 

At the end of the school year, Yuri’s class had to give a performance for the school. She had sent an invitation to Sunny because she wanted to let the girl know one last time how she felt. The curtains rose and Yuri saw that the audience was packed. It was the first time in public since she left the cheerleading squad that she danced publically. The music began and she danced to the slow tempo. As she was nearing the middle of the song she noticed that there was one person silhouetted by the light of one of the back doors. Her heart raced. She poured everything into her dance. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z__fi3grZAc&t=1m20s )

 

 

'Cause you were made for me

Somehow I'll make you see

How happy you make me

I can't live this life

Without you by my side

I need you to survive

So stay with me

You look in my eyes and I'm screaming inside that I'm sorry.

And you forgive me again

You're my one true friend

And I never meant to hurt you

 

 

The performance ended and the tears were running down Yuri’s face. Everyone in the audience immediately gave a standing ovation to the girl. She looked up again and saw that the figure in the doorway was gone. “I guess I got her answer,” thought Yuri. Tears were shed again. All she could do was bow to the audience.

 

After the performance, Yuri’s feet led her to the place where she first met Sunny. She touched the doorframe and memories flashed through her mind. She walked inside turning on the lights. Slowly making her way to the spot where she saw her angel sing, she stood and closed her eyes. Warm tears fell down her cheeks again. “Sunny, I miss you so much,” Yuri said to herself as she tried to wipe the tears away.

 

“I missed you too,” a voice said as Yuri felt someone hugging her from behind. It was just like the day she asked Sunny to be her girlfriend.

 

“S..S..Sunny,” whispered the taller girl in disbelief.

 

Turning Yuri around, the short girl looked Yuri in the eyes once again. She reached out to wipe away the falling tears. With a small smile she said, “I forgive you.”

 

With relief, Yuri’s knees gave out as she collapsed towards the floor. Sunny caught her and settled them both down. All Yuri could do was sob and hug Sunny tightly. She never thought the day would come where she could be forgiven. “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry Sunny,” cried Yuri.

 

“It’s okay. I finally understood what I wanted. It was in this very room that you asked me whether I would give you a chance to know me better. I understand now that we both made some sacrifices during this year for our relationship. They hurt us. I was so overwhelmed that I needed to see what I truly valued. I know now that it is you Yuri. I promise that I will be more open in the future and won’t carry burdens on my own again. I know you will also be more attentive to see when I am stressed out. I want to give us another chance,” said Sunny.

 

“Are you sure that’s what you want Sunny,” asked Yuri.

 

For the second time, she could see the vulnerability in Yuri’s eyes. It was those eyes that had moved her before. It was those eyes that she wanted to protect, to never cause them any more pain again. She brushed the hair away from Yuri’s face and kissed her. This time it wasn’t innocent but rather filled with passion from missing the person she loved for all those months. Yuri responded just as fiercely, like it was the last time she would kiss her beloved.

 

When they parted Sunny stared in Yuri’s eyes and finally confessed, “I love you Yuri.”

 

Yuri wrapped her arms tightly around the shorter girl. “That was the most beautiful thing I’ve heard come out of your mouth ever. I love you so much Sunny,” whispered Yuri with tears, not of sadness but of joy for the future the two will share together.  

 

 

A/N: Song was Forgive Me by Evanescence.