One

F L O W

  [Krystal’s Point of View]

BRING! BRING!

The lunch bell rang and the hallways were flooding with students ready to eat, to talk with friends, and just to be free from the stress of classes.  I waited for the halls cleared up so I could walk to my best friend’s classroom. My best friend is always there for me, always has the best advice, and always has my back. His name is Eric. Eric Nam. Yes, my best friend is a guy. Even though he can figure out any problem you give him, he still hasn’t figured out I liked him. And I’d say it’s pretty obvious.

We’ve been friends since the sixth grade. He was the new kid in the neighborhood. He had just moved from South Korea and he didn’t speak English very well. I lived next door, and my parents encouraged me to help him learn English. We went to school together and we did everything together. We’ve seen each other grow up. I’ve seen him cry and he’s seen me cry.

“Krystal!” Someone calling my name made me stop thinking about the past. I looked in the direction the voice was coming from and I saw Eric. He was smiling, the smile that makes his eyes crinkle and makes his cheek bones pop out. The smile that made me fall hard. He was wearing a pair of worn out skinny jeans and a white shirt from Abercrombie & Fitch. In a simple outfit like that, he still was able to make my heart skip a beat.

“Oh, hi!”

“I called your name, like, four times. What were you thinking about?”

I was thinking about you, silly. “Nothing, lets head to lunch.”

“Yes! Let’s go, I’m starving.” Eric pulled me towards the cafeteria. It was filled with chattering students. I was about to go to the lunch line when Eric pulled me back.

“I brought lunch for both of us today. Do you like Nutella? I made sandwiches!” Eric exclaimed happily. I don’t know why he had to ask me why I liked Nutella, he know I love it. When I’m over at his house, I head to his kitchen to search for Nutella. And when I find it, I’ll scarf it down.

I answered his question, “I love Nutella! But did you pack anything else?”

“Of course! I have some chips, pretzels, and pink lemonade.” He gave me my food and we started eating. We talked for a while about how boring our classes were, he cracked a joke about a chicken crossing the road (he got the punch-line wrong, but that made it funnier), and then we were interrupted by Eric’s friend, Neil.

“Hey, man! Howdy do Krystal?” He greeted us both while sitting down.

“What’s up, dude?” Eric greeted him back and I simply smiled and nodded to acknowledge he was there. They were talking about some game that was on last night until Luna Peterson walked in.

“Eric, there’s Luna! Are you going to talk to her anytime soon?” Neil whispered to Eric. Too bad he said it loud enough for me hear it.

“Wait, Eric. You like Luna?” I asked completely shocked.

“Well duh! Who wouldn’t? I mean she’s amazingly beautiful, she’s super nice, smart, and have you heard her play the guitar? She’s just—“I cut him off by getting up and leaving. I headed to the school’s football field and sat on the bleachers. I need time alone to process everything.

 He likes Luna. Before Eric moved to town, Luna was the meanest girl at school and the brattiest girl in town. She thought she was better than everyone else because she’s rich. She bullied a girl with no friends, the school’s loser. That girl was me. She would drag me to the locker room after school, and she and her snobby friends would take turns abusing me. When they finished, they would scratch my wrists as if she was keeping tally of how many times she had proven she was better than me. People thought I was cutting myself and pushed me away even more. Who wanted to be friends with the weird girl who cut herself? The only person who was willing to was Eric. Ever since he moved here, he had been nice to me, even though he knew about me being a loner and the rumors about how I cut myself. That’s when I started liking him. Back then, it started out as an innocent crush. Over the years, it has grown. Now I can’t even explain how much my heart aches for him.

I didn’t even notice, but I started crying. I don’t know whether it was because the memories or the fact that Eric doesn’t have feelings for me. Maybe it was a combination of both? It didn’t matter, I couldn’t change his feelings, and I couldn’t change my past. I just sat there and cried my heart out. I know I looked pathetic but I couldn’t help it. People have always complained about how bad one-sided love was, and I had never believed them until now.

                When I had no more tears to cry, I sat looking at the clear blue sky and the dark green grass on the field. Why is the world so beautiful, when I feel so horrible? I looked at the field and noticed that Eric was approaching me. He was climbing the up the bleachers while chastising me because of how I abruptly left the cafeteria.

“Krystal! How could you just leave the lunch table like that? You threw away the food I made you too! What’s wrong with you? That was so rude!”  He was going to keep on rambling, but he saw my swollen eyes and my wet sleeves.  His mad expression turned into a caring one.

“Oh gosh, Krystal, what happened? Why are you crying? Are you feeling okay? Are you sick? Is it… that time of month? Tell me what happened!”

How could he not know I was crying because of him? Why does he care so much? Why do I feel like I should be mad at him because his feelings towards Luna? I was ready to scream at him, but he did nothing wrong. Instead, I started crying again. He held me tightly in his arms and told me not to cry.

I ran out of tears to cry again and was ready to talk. “I was crying because my mom texted me and said that Jessica was diagnosed with cancer.” I know I lied to him, but what was I supposed to say? I can’t tell him that I’m in love with him. I’d lose my best friend.

“WHAT?! Jessi has cancer?!” I nodded. I hadn’t completely lied, my sister, Jessica, who was studying abroad in England, was diagnosed about a month ago. I just never told anyone. Until now, that is. After Eric got over the shock of Jessica having cancer, he told me it was going to be okay, and led me to my next class.

The bell that signaled the end of school rang and I packed up my stuff and headed to my locker. Eric was waiting for me there. With a smile on his face, he told me he was walking me home. He said it wasn’t safe for a girl as pretty as me to walk home alone. He took my by bag and put his arm protectively around my shoulders. My heart nearly jumped out of my chest. Why is he doing this to me? We walked for a while and eventually we reached my house. He opened the door for me and walked me in.

“I can enter my house without getting kidnapped, silly.” I secretly liked when he did these things for me though. He’s such a gentleman. One of the many things I like about him. He smiled at ruffled my hair as if I was a child.

“Oh, Eric! What a pleasant surprise! What are you doing here?” My mom said when she saw Eric came home with me.

“Hi, Mrs. Nakagawa! I walked Krystal home because she was pretty sad today about Jessi.” My mom looked confused, she knew I found out about Jessica a month ago. I gave her the don’t-ask look.

“Well how sweet of you! How would you like to stay for diner? I made enough for one extra person! I made steak and potatoes!” My mom is always making extra food. Her excuse is that she likes cooking. I think she just wants to make my dad and I fat.

Eric replied politely and with a smile, “I would love to.”

So we waited for my dad to come home and we started eating. We were having a really good time talking about school and the days when we were younger and the weird things me and Eric would do. Then my dad asked the question.  

“So, Eric. Is there anyone special in your life?” He was joking, of course. But Eric just had to answer. He started talking about Luna again. I did exactly what I did at lunch. I got up and left. I ignored my parents’ confused looks and bolted to my room. I slammed my door shut, locked it and collapsed in my bed. In the middle of my fit, I heard a knock on the door.

“Go away. I don’t want anyone with me.” It was true. I had enough for one day.

“Krystal, open the door right now.” The person answered firmly. Like whoever it was wasn’t going to take no for an answer.

“I said go away, Eric.” I reiterated what I had said before. I didn’t want to talk to anyone right now, especially not him.

“And I said to open the door.” I looked at the door, arguing with myself. I wanted him to hug me again. I also wanted to push him off a cliff. So in the end, I left the door locked and stayed quiet. After a few minutes, I heard a click and my door opened.

“I know how to pick locks remember? Now tell me. Why are you being like this?”

“Being like what?” I answered, pretending to be oblivious.

“The way you left the table, at lunch and just now. That’s not you.”

“Then what is?”

“You are Krystal Nakagawa. My best friend. You’re the girl that has been with me since the sixth grade. You would always bring me snacks and candy when I’m hungry. When people put me down for being the new kid, you fought back even though you knew people wouldn’t be scared of you. You’re the girl that’s super sweet. You would always try to make me happy even if you weren’t. I’ve always wondered why you were like that. Now I’m wondering why you are acting up whenever I talk about Luna.” Well it’s pretty obvious why I act up. But you’re clueless.

“She used to bully me okay? She’s the reason I didn’t have friends. She gave me the scars on my wrist.” I lied again. I should tell him the truth, but I couldn’t find the courage to.

“You told me you got over the bullying years ago. You’re lying to me. But you never lie. What’s so important that you have to lie to your best friend?”

I just looked at him. How could he not know? I guess he finally got the hints I’ve been giving him for so long, because by the look on his face, I could tell he was putting the puzzle pieces together.

“Krystal, you like me don’t you?”