Final

Bestfriends

 

“Remind me again why you’re here?” Jai asked, raising a brow at her friend who sat at her couch comfortably. She sighed and swatted his foot off her table. “Byunghun!” she growled when the said boy just closed his eyes. “Did you two fight again?” she asked hesitantly.

Finally, he opened his eyes. She held her breath when she noticed his eyes were teary. Smiling slightly, he spoke, “Yea. It was a stupid fight. It wasn’t big.” He chuckled. “Don’t worry about it.”

But why do you look like you want to cry a river? She tried to smile and patted his back. “I should be telling you that.” She stood up and walked to the kitchen. “Do you want anything?” she asked, taking a glance at him over her shoulder. She bit her lip when she saw that he was leaning on his palm; face covered. “Do you want icecream? Or do you want me to make you something else?”

“I just want to be alone.” Was his reply.

She sighed and nodded. “I’ll be in my room if you need me.” She smiled and left him in the living room. Once she closed the door she released a sigh of frustration. What do you see in her anyway? She just always makes you miserable. She thought and shook her head. “That has nothing to do with me.” She whispered with a small smile.

She lied down on her bed and covered her eyes. She was annoyed that the guy of her dreams, her bestfriend, was in this position. She sighed and yelped when a knock was heard. “Jai?” she heard his voice.

She bit her lip then replied a small, “Yea?”

“Can I eat your icecream?” he asked.

She chuckled and nodded, but remembered the door was closed. “Sure, you know where it is, right?” she asked and sat up, staring at her closed door.

“Yea.” Was what he said before footsteps were heard faintly.

She stood up when she couldn’t hear him anymore. “There’s no point in mopping here. Come on, let’s go do our homework.” She tried to smile, but it was clearly off. “What are you doing to me?” she asked and took a glance at the closed door.

 

For the next couple of days, Byunghun would come unannounced and crash in her couch; he’d sleep there at times, but she had no choice but to just give him a blanket and put a pillow under his head. “Is it that big?” she asked to her sleeping friend.

She bent down next to him and removed the hair that covered his eyes. There, she noticed his panda like eyes. “You haven’t slept properly too.” She sighed and tucked him in before standing to leave.

She stopped when a hand grabbed her wrist. “Don’t go.” She heard him whisper. She was so sure he was asleep. “Sohyun and I are..” he trailed off and tightened his grip on her wrist.

“Yep, he’s asleep.” She chuckled bitterly when she heard the girl’s name slip out of his mouth.

 

Days passed, and for the first time since their friendship, Byunghun rarely went to her apartment. She grew worried but didn’t bother when he replied a simple, ‘Everything is fine. We’re back together. =)’. It broke her heart, but who was she to have a say in their relationship? She had no right to tell him to break up with her. She was just his bestfriend. A friend. That’s what she is. And that’s what she’ll ever be.

 

A month passed and Byunghun had little time to spend with her. She was curious as to what he was up to, but didn’t bother meddling. “Hey, I haven’t seen you with L.joe for a while now.” Kei, a close friend of Jai asked.

She sent the girl a small smile. “He’s busy. And he has a life too, you know.” She chuckled when her friend nodded.

“But it’s a rare sight. You two are always together.” The girl pouted but shrugged.

Jai smiled and nodded, before staring at the blue sky with unreadable eyes. “Not anymore.” She whispered.

Later that night, she received a mail. She stared at it before finally opening the letter. There, it read that she was accepted to Harvard University. She smiled but it faltered when she noticed someone in her apartment. “Byunghun? What are you doing here?” she asked, keeping the opened letter in her bag.

“She turned me down, Jai.” There were tear stains in his cheeks.

Her eyes widen and ran to him. “What happened?” she asked and quickly dried the tears that were freshly falling.

“I-I proposed to her.. and she..” He sobbed and grabbed his bestfriend. “She turned me down.” He buried his face on the crook of her neck.

Jai swallowed the lump in and patted his back. “Byung..” she trailed off and felt her shoulder wet. She bit her lip and decided to not tell him about the acceptance letter instead. He needed a friend. And that was her.

She slowly sat him down the couch and ran to the kitchen to grab a glass of water and handed it to him with a frown. Silence filled the air as she waited for him to say anything.

“She said she found someone. And that I was moving things too fast.” He explained and stared at the coffee table with sad eyes.

Jai hated that look the most. He was hurt. By the girl he was in love. “Byung—.”

“Was I moving things too fast, Jai?” he asked and looked straight at her, as if he was staring at her soul.

There was no use in telling him otherwise. He would know if she was lying. “Yea.” She quietly replied. “I mean, you proposed to her. And you haven’t even finished school.” She pouted.

He chuckled bitterly at that. “I guess you’re right.” He sighed and wiped his face with his hand. “I guess she’s not for me.”

You say that but your eyes say otherwise. She gave him a small smile and stood up. “Tell you what, we’ll go out and eat. My treat.”

Byunghun raised a brow at his friend. “Are you sure?” he asked. The girl nodded and picked her bag off the wooden floor. He sighed and shook his head. “Maybe next time.” He uttered, remembering that the girl he loved turned him down.

Jai paused and looked at him. She sighed when she saw the look he wore. “Please tell me you’ll forget about this in a few days.” She uttered.

Byunghun looked at her and saw the concern written across her face. He tried to smile, but failed. “I can’t. It’ll take a little more than that.” He uttered. “I loved her.” He paused and stared at the ceiling. “So much.”

Ache. That was what her heart felt when he said that. She bit her lip and nodded. She walked to him and patted his back. “You should go home.” She smiled at him. Forcing her tears not to fall.

He nodded and smiled at him. “Thanks Jai.” He stood up and walked to the door.

“I didn’t do anything Byunggie.” She chuckled and turned to walk to her room, back to him; to make sure that he won’t turn around and see her misty eyes.

“You did though.” He chuckled and turned to see his friend’s back to him. “You always make me feel at ease and calm when you’re around.” The girl froze and her ears perked up. Her heart saying, ‘you might have a chance!’ “Thanks for being there Jai.” He smiled and turned. “You’re such a great friend.”

Friend.

He said friend.

That did it. Her tears fell. “What can I say, I have a bestfriend who’s such a handfull.” She replied and fortunately, it didn’t gave away the fact that she was crying. She shook her head; back still towards him.

He chuckled at that. “See you around Jai.” He turned and opened the door.

“You too Byunggie.” She smiled and finally turned to him. But he was already gone. She grabbed the letter in her bag and sighed. “No. This is goodbye.” She chuckled and walked to her room.

 

For the next couple of days, Byunghun would come visit. She was glad that he wasn’t sulking. But her heart still remembered that day he cried in front of her. He looked so vulnerable,; completely off character. He was a strong guy. Had a bad boy aura around him, but was super sweet. The very reason why Jai fell for him.

And she was leaving. To forget the feelings she had for him. To stay away from him. Because she was just a friend.

 

“So you really are going?” Kei asked with a hint of sadness.

“Don’t worry about it. I’ll email you, and even call you if I get the chance.” She chuckled and hugged her friend.

“Will you be alright, sweetie?” her mother asked.

She smiled and hugged her family. “I’ve been learning English mom, I’ll be fine.” She joked and wiped the tear that rolled down her mothers cheeks. “And stop crying. I won’t die. I’ll just be away for a few years.” She added and smiled at her mother.

It was finally announced; her flight out of South Korea.

“Be careful dear.” Her father uttered with a small smile.

“I will.”

“Why isn’t Byunghun here?” her mother frowned and looked around for the blond haired boy she adored.

“I didn’t tell him.” She smiled weakly at her mother. “He’s having a hard time, and he doesn’t need another thing to worry about.” She explained and grabbed her bag. “I’ll be leaving now.”

Her parents gave each other looks and nodded at their daughter understandingly. “Stay safe.”

“I will.” She smiled and left for her flight. “Goodbye Korea. Bye Lee Byunghun.” She whispered when the plane was finally taking off.

 

Byunghun sighed and knocked on the door to Jai’s apartment. No reply came. He raised a brow and grabbed his spare key and opened the door. It was empty. Not the empty, someone was surely living here. The empty, nobody owns this place kind.

Byunghun grew worried and contacted the girl’s phone. It was disconnected. He tried her parents.

“Hello?” came her mother’s reply.

“Mrs. Kwon! Why isn’t Jai in her apartment?” he asked, worried something might happen to her.

“...”

“Mrs. Kwon?”

“She’s not here anymore Byunghun.” Came her reply.

“What do you mean?” he asked, brows knitted.

“She left the country just awhile ago. She’s going to be studying in the states.” She sounded hesitant.

“Why didn’t she tell me?!” he was frustrated. First his 3 year long relationship with his girlfriend went down the drain because he was moving too fast. Now his bestfriend left the country without telling him.

“She didn’t want to add to your problems, sweetie. I’m sorry.”

“No, it’s fine Mrs. Kwon. I’m hanging up.” He uttered then took the seat on the covered couch. “Damn it!” he cursed and cried. “Just when I was doing fine without her because you were there, you leave.” He threw his phone across the room and hit the kitchen counter.

An hour passed and he finally decided to leave the empty apartment, he walked the kitchen to fetch his broken phone but stopped when he noticed a folded paper.

Dear, Byunggie.

                Hey! I knew you’d come to my apartment. Kekeke. You’re probably mad at me for leaving without telling you anything. I’m sorry. I didn’t want you to get any depressed than you already are. You should be fine on your own now. Your strong, and you’ll be fine without me to sugarcoat those facts you already know. Sorry Byunggie. I’m sure she’s regretting her decision. You’re a great guy, and a very sweet one too. That’s why I fell for you. =) Keep yourself healthy and don’t you dare skip meals! Hang out with the guys if you get depressed. You probably won’t be able to contact me anymore though. Well, see you around Byunghun.

Love, Kwon Jai.

P.S: Yes, I confessed. =P I Love You, Byunghun.

He stared at the letter wide-eyed. “She—she—she fell for me?” he asked, disbelief written across his face. He reread the letter to make sure. After reading it a couple more times, he released a laugh. “She loved me. And I didn’t even noticed anything!” he laughed and soon, he was crying again. “Why didn’t I even notice earlier?! I thought she liked Changjo! That brat! she actually liked—no, loved me.”

He sat on the stool and banged his fist on the counter top. “She was there all this time and I was so stupid to think she didn’t like me! And look! You got dump by the girl you loved, and lost the love of your life.”

No! Came his mind’s reply. “I have to get her back.”

 

[A year later]

“Ahh! School is finally over.” Jessica, one of the Korean friends Jai made in the university giggled.

“You can say that again.” Her sister, Krystal smiled.

“Hey guys, I’ll head first. I still need to finish a couple of projects Prof. Smith gave my class.” She pouted and waved before deciding to grab a coffee at the nearby coffee shop. “One caramel to go please.” She smiled at the girl who nodded and accepted her cash.

She waited for her beverage and scanned the pastries area. “I wonder if I should get one.” She uttered, mouth watering.

“You should.” Uttered someone from behind.

Looking back, her eyes widen when she noticed who it was. “Byunghun... what are you doing here?” she asked, straightening up.

“I missed you.” He pouted.

“Just because you miss me doesn’t mean you should come all the way to the states just to see me.” She rolled her eyes and smiled at the lady who handed her her order. “Thank you.”

“I wanted to see you.” He uttered.

“Why? Someone bullying you?” she teased and decided to take a sit and talk to her bestfriend.

Byunghun followed suit. “Mean.”

She soften when she saw him pout. “How have you been?”

“Bad.” He replied.

“Why?” she asked, taking a sip.

“The girl I dated for a year dump me cause I was moving too fast—.”

“You’re still not over that?” she asked, amused.

“No, I’m over that a year ago.” He mumbled.

“Then what’s bothering you that you had to come all the way here just to talk?” she chuckled and played with the coffee’s cup.

“Because you tell me you love me with a letter.” He sighed and raked his hair with his hands. “Seriously, you could tell me personally.” He uttered, hoping to make the girl blush or get a shocked respond. But he didn’t get any of that.

“Hmm. Well I was leaving so, yea.” She shrugged and sipped on her drink.

“Seriously? That’s all I get?” he pouted at her.

“What? Wait that’s what you came here for? For me personally confessing?” she asked, amused. And she couldn’t help but giggle at his tinted red cheeks. “Then, should I confess?” she teased.

“You’re still mean, you know that?”

“Byunggie, I love you.” She smiled at him, leaning on her opened palm.

“I’ve been waiting for that for all my life.” He grinned and leaned in, capturing her lips. “I love you so much.”

“So much? More than Sohyun?” she teased again.

“More. Much much more. Damn, what did the states do to you? You’ve been teasing me more than usual.” He pouted.

She giggled and leaned to plant her lips on his. “Be glad I’m not running away.”

“I am.” He grinned and kissed the back of her hand. “And I’m in heaven when I’m with you. You should know that.” He added.

“I’m in hell when I’m with you.”

“Wha!”

“That’s because all you’ve been doing is wounding my heart.” She pouted.

“Then let’s mend it.”

She chuckled and nodded.

The End