Paper Valentine

Paper Valentine

 

“Unnie. Do well on your show tonight.”

Krystal hugged me from the back as I fixed my bangs in the mirror. “Thanks Krys.”

She smiled once and retreated a few steps to plop down on my own bed. “Aren’t the other unnies coming to watch?”

I looked back at her through the reflective glass in front of me.

My heart sank knowing I’d have to be alone. The girls had different things to do and it was clear they’d busy themselves with something else, considering it was the 14th of February. I blew some air to my fringes and sulked.

Let’s see. Hyoyeon, Yoona and Sunny are in Japan so they definitely couldn’t come. Juhyun might be with her family. I bet she missed her mom. Sooyoung might be with that guy she’d been seeing for some time now. Then there’s Taeny. Those two would most likely be doing some sort of date…I guess watching my musical was an excuse for them yesterday. So careless of those two to be caught raiding for ice cream. Those couple of douches… and then there’s Yuri…Ah. Forget it. She doesn’t watch musicals unless she’s forced or dragged by the other members. So that would be a helpless case. I don’t know what she has been up to these days. We haven’t been really getting together. I kind of miss her.

I suddenly remembered the little interaction we had earlier while promoting the LG screen TVs. Yuri was sweet enough to discreetly hold my hand while I clutched on to her arm for a brief minute.

Sigh.

“Unnie. Unnie?!”

“Ugh. Yeah?” I looked at Krystal, surprised. She was already beside me again, raising her well-defined eyebrow at me. I faked a smirk and asked her instead. “Aren’t you going to watch my show tonight?”

She had that guilty look in her eyes while drawing circles on the floor with her foot. I already knew the answer to my question. Amber.

“I get it. You have fun Krys. Say hi to Amber for me. I have to go. Love you.” I pressed my lips to her cheek and she returned a kiss on mine after beaming a smile.

“I will. You too, unnie.”

---

“15 minutes until show time!”

I watched as the rest scurried on their feet as the show was about to start. My head was in the musical but my heart was straying off as I perused the mass of flowers that were sent to me by fans. Each card read “Happy Valentine’s”.  If only I had a Valentine…

My phone began to ring and I quickly grabbed the device off my dressing table. I jabbed my nail into the button and widened my eyes at the sight of my mom’s name on the screen. I opened up the text message and found a picture underneath the characters.

Look who dragged us to your musical. I’m with your dad and her mom. Have fun performing. Your dad and I love you. Fighting~

I scrolled down. It was no other than Kwon Yuri posing next to my standee for Ms. Barbie Korea. My lips slowly spread into a grin. That kkab. Liar. She couldn’t be here.

“Jeshica-ssi! Five minutes to stage!”

I looked up from my phone and nodded ecstatically. “Ah, yeah! Coming up!”

My heart raced faster and I stood tipping on my toes. This better be not a joke Yuri or I’ll beat you to death in your dorm.

“Break a leg everyone! Let’s have fun for tonight’s performance!”

I put back my phone on the table and tousled my blonde wig as the rest of the actors moved out.

Sure. I’ll break Kwon Yuri’s if I don’t find her in the audience.

“Fighting~!!!”

---

I rushed back to the dressing room and both the coordinator unnie and the make-up artist had been hovering at me like bees in a hive.

“Jeshica-ssi. Stay put, will you please? I have to retouch a bit on your blush. Your cheeks are too pink.”

“Does your dress fit well? Do you think it’s a bit loose? Wait. Wait! Stop squirming!”

“Unnie. Do you have a piece of paper and some marker?”

Both women looked at me as if I just did a double back flip in front of them.

“Why?”

“Just give me one real quick.”

I can’t believe she was really there. She was there! Yuri was watching me during the whole show and she was smiling beside her mom. My parents were also laughing alongside with her and they all looked like they were enjoying their time. That good-for-nothing-I-hate-her-for-her-guts sweet loving thoughtful…

“Here.”

I was handed with a piece of A4 paper and a black whiteboard marker.

“Thanks so much!”

I slumped over my dressing table when my phone beeped again. Hearing “Mistake” playing, I scrambled to grab hold of the device. That ringtone was specifically assigned to one person and I was already aware of who it was before even opening up the message.

You were really good! Chukahe! Sica Woods was daebak! Don’t cry okay? You wouldn’t want to mess up your mascara and remove your eyelashes. Kekeke. Dinner after the show. –Yuri

My tummy suddenly felt weird, tumbling in all directions, and my heart felt swollen, thumping louder in my ears so much that it barred all other sounds in the room. I felt blood rush to my cheeks and ears while I quickly pulled off the cap from the marker. I looked back on the message on the phone as the older women multitasked to check on my final appearance.

Very funny Kwon Yuri. Let’s see how you’d react to this.

---

Dancing to the steps of the curtain call, I swayed daintily to the rhythm of the song. Yuri was clapping her hands and showing me thumb up signs as I waved to the audience. I grabbed the Chihuahua and wiggled it up and down. After handing the mutt back to the staff, I walked around to the back to do some dancing again. I had to do some steps that required some more up leg movements. I just hope it doesn’t slip down my dress.

I did my final pose and the crowd roared with whistles and claps. My eyes were fixated only on that one person with silky black flowing hair and elegant short gray dress.  She looked gorgeous tonight. Turning around, I prepared myself for a mini event I had planned just a few minutes ago. My hands swiftly pressed down my sides and I retrieved the folded paper from the slip in my dress.

My last highlight was next and I fumbled to get the piece of paper open. It was upside down and I turned it upright as I showed the whole message to the cheering mob. I had placed my message in a heart, a scribble to show my appreciation on that one girl. It was a little bit awkward knowing my parents were also there.

Kwon Yuri. JJANG! Sorry… I don’t think I can take off my [fake] eyelashes TT_TT

I hid behind the rectangular sheet, realizing I was already blushing for taking the courage to come up with this cheesy message. I took a peek above the paper and I saw her smiling from ear to ear as she pursed her lips and squinted her eyes. To show her how much I meant it, I proudly pushed the paper up front for the crowd to read and even pointed at it while swaying to the beat.  She shyly tucked her hair behind her ear and I blew her kisses as the lights flickered for the final bow.

Stupid seobang. I hope you see how much I love you that the world can see.

---

“Thank you for dinner Mr. and Mrs. Jung.” Yuri said with a bow as we both stood at the underground parking lot for our dorm.

“It was nothing Yuri-ah. Thank you for taking us to our daughter’s musical.” My dad replied as he nodded from behind the wheel.

“Ah it’s nothing sir. I hope you enjoyed it as much as me and my mom did.” Yuri replied and then turned to the backseat to talk to her mom. “Umma? Are you sure you don’t want me to take you home? I got my car.”

My mom interjected instead. “It’s fine Yuri. Your mom and I would like to talk more with each other. My husband and I will take her home for you. You can take Sooyeon instead if she wishes to rest back at the house.”

At this time, it was my turn to break the conversation. “I’ll stay in the dorm for tonight mom. You all have some nice time chatting.”

Yuri stood straight and looked at me with a raised brow.

“Take care of Sooyeon, Yuri-ah. I’ll come visit you again when you come back from your Japan tour.” Mrs. Kwon reminded happily.

“Ah yes. Of course, umma.” Yuri said this without leaving her eyes on mine and that alone made me shy and shrink to my toes.

The next minutes were overtaken by sweet goodbyes from both our parents and finally my dad’s car sped away from the rather empty parking lot. Yuri and I walked quietly as we made our way back to the dorm.

“So what made you go to my musical? And why did you have to drag my parents?” I asked as I fiddled with my coat and slowly raised my hand to clutch on her arm. It was almost second to nature for me to have skinship with her. I do the same with other members but to her, it was just really different.

“So you won’t have any reason to accuse me anymore of not seeing your musical.” She teased, patting my hand in her arm and slowly slid it down so that our fingers would intertwine. “And I wanted to spend some time with your parents. I think they pretty much know about us, don’t you think?”

“Us?” I grinned at her as I pressed my palm in her hand. “You’ve been very cold to me lately though.”

“You were too busy hanging out with Yoona and Hyoyeon.” Her rare pouting surfaced that I couldn’t help but giggle at the terrible cuteness.

“That’s because you make me cry most of the time.”

I heard her laugh and she stopped midway to the lift. She took out a small box from her purse and handed it to me. “Happy Valentine’s.”

“Yuri-ah, you didn’t have to get me anything. You coming to my show was already enough.”

“No. no. no. Open it up.” She pushed, fidgeting.

Knitting my brows together, I scanned her face as I took some time opening the package. To my surprise, I found a pair of black wayfarers inside.

“What’s with the shades?” I scoffed.

“She took another case from her purse and shook another set of wayfarers. “I also bought one for me. Couple shades. Wear it tomorrow for airport fashion.” She laughed at herself and looked down at her feet. “Not very romantic huh?”

My cheeks rose up again and I blushed for the hundredth time in the evening while I tucked the gift away. “Mhmm.”

She grasped both my arms and held me close. I lifted my chin up to meet her eyes.

“Nope?” she asked, the mischievous Yuri returning. “I can take it back.”

“No. I’ll wear it. We should both wear it.” I said, beaming. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” She said, rubbing her nape as she tried to play it cool. How cute.

“The press might notice.” I said as I pushed my bottom lip out and ran my fingertips on the sleeves of her coat.

“Let them.” She smiled as she took my hands again in hers. “That little stunt of yours was obvious enough.”

I had to agree.

“Well, that was because it was sweet of you to come and see me on this day.”

She raised her hand again and parted my fringe, lightly arranging it as she continued to speak. “I would have come everyday if I could but I knew you’d appreciate it more today. That way you’d know I’m not just like any of SNSD’s members.”

My smile turned into a smirk. “Oh? And how are you any different?”

Mischievous Yuri was out and in came that seductress.

“Coz I can do this.”

She broke free from my hands and she grabbed the small of my back, pushing me closer to her. In one swift motion, she captured my lips as she lifted me up to meet her open mouth. My eyes closed softly and I returned the lip lock with all the contents of my heart. I missed her like this. She still melts me like an ice cube in her palms.

The kiss continued. Light, soft and caring described how we shared the buss. I could feel her heart under my palm beating as I laid my hand over her chest. I opened my eyes for a second and I felt her smile while we kissed. It made me happy, knowing she was happy.

We only realized that we were still at the car park when an incoming car was revving up from afar. I pulled back but she still held me with null space in between. I looked up to her still smiling like an idiot.

“Should I take you home? Our flight back to Japan is tomorrow.” Yuri asked while rubbing my back gently. I didn’t want to leave her touch.

I shook my head vigorously as a reply. “No. I’ll sleep in the dorm. I already got my things packed before I went for my musical so it’s fine. And we can sleep a bit late. ”

“You had planned this out, didn’t you?” Yuri drawled as we walked side by side to the elevator.

“Shut up Kwon Yuri.” I pushed her playfully towards the inside of the lift.

“What did I do?” she laughed aloud as I pressed for the floor number for the condo unit.

“Nothing. Just shut up.”

She grabbed my wrist and kissed the back of my hand, later draping my arm over her shoulder. “Sica. Would you be my valentine?”

I rolled my eyes at her and smiled. “I think the paper thing I did says it all.” I then tiptoed to reach her height and gave her one sweet peck as the doors to the lift closed. “Happy Valentine’s seobang.”

 

 

_______________

Happy Valentine's Day Readers! Sorry if I was a bit late.

I hope I have stirred your hearts a bit, considering this was rushed and done in between breaks. Hearts to y'all! Do comment! I'd love to hear your critiques.