The Little Things

The Little Things

 

"What is it about me that you like so much?" It was just a simple question. It wasn't meant to be serious or anything. You were just curious and bored? Yes. A bit bored, but not entirely since you were laying on his chest as he laid on the couch, both of your bodies meshing so perfectly that you could swear the higher heavens composed the two of you to fit together; destiny. 

He took your hand gently and kissed each finger as seconds seemed to tick away in the silence of the living room. The sun was setting and a long day of schedules was now coming to an end. You could feel his lips curl up into a smile against your palm before be kissed that as well, like he was sorting out a cheesy enough response to give you. 

"How much time do you have?" You snorted lightly, rolling your eyes as you shifted carefully to rest your chin gently on his chest, looking up at him with a crooked smile. "You're so sappy. I can make syrup out of you, you know." His eyes crinkled and that gorgeous eye-smile that you loved bloomed causing your heart to flutter as a light laugh racked through his body, shaking you in the process. 

"By all means," he began, repositioning you so what your head was laying on his lap as he say down. He looked down tenderly at you and took your hand once more, his free hand's thumb caressing your cheek so tenderly that you could tell just how fragile you were to him; how precious, like a fine porcelain doll he was afraid to man handle. 

You both remained silent for a while, soaking in the serene atmosphere that had set in. At that point you figured that was the end of that conversation and were going to suggest the two of you watch a movie but when you glanced up you noticed how he looked at you with a watchful gaze, studying you before he continued what he was previously going to say, "I don't like anything about you. It's much more profound than that, you see. It's how you brush your hair behind your ear and smile shyly after I kiss you. It's how you always try and stifle a yawn when you're tired but want to stay up with me. How your fingers brush through my hair to sooth me to sleep when I find it difficult to do so. It's the sound of your steady heartbeat when I lay on your chest. The way you your lips or bite them when you're thinking about something," he stopped then, looking over at the window for a moment and you were grateful lest he see you coming undone by the poetry he was spewing out. 

He smiled at nothing in particular. Maybe he was thinking of you now, in this instant where everything around you vanished and the only thing that existed were the two of you. Two hearts beating in sync with one another, singing a song that you two could only hear.  His hand began to unconsciously rub yours. "How you puff out your cheeks when you're at a loss for words. Or the way your scent seems to always dance around me even when your gone. How you look through me, right into my soul where I'm most vulnerable, but it's okay because it's you and you're the only one who can get away with it." 

You hadn't even noticed the tears prickle from the corners of your eyes as he went on until he brushed them away and smiled down at you, his own eyes glazing over. "It's how in sync you are with me and my emotions. How you can make me forget all the negativity that might have occurred in the day  when you smile up at me and ask me how my day was; without fail. It's missing you to the point where I sometimes feel sick if I don't see you for days on end because I need you. I'm like the wind, blowing away any clouds so the sun will brighten up the day and I dance because you're perfect." 

"Bae," you breathed out, reaching up to cup his face with a smile through tears of joy. "I'm glad you asked me what it was I loved about you, because I could really write a book about it. I could go on forever on how you make me feel or what I love most about you--which just so happens to be everything. Every little thing. But most importantly it's the little things that I love the most. The things that you do unconsciously when you're wrapped up in your own world; I fall in love with you a little more each time."  

You raised your self and wrapped your arms around his neck, his hands going to wrap themselves around you as he impressively managed to stand the both of you up. You remained silent, savoring the tender moment and he began to sway the two of you to a song of love that went unheard. 

"I love you," he whispered out against your ear, nuzzling his nose against your neck as his grip around your waist tightened. "I love you more," you replied without any sort of hesitation and he laughed softly, causing your head to grow dizzy with love. Oh, how you loved this man. 

"Impossible," he responded and you let him win because in that moment when he confessed the things he just had you realized just how profound a man's love could be. And how lucky you felt to be the source of this man's love because it was always about the little things in the end, wasn't it? 


Happy Valentine's Day, kiddos! Cheers to love.