Recovering from shot wounds

Operation Banda

Nearly a week later Xiah was transferred from the intensive care to a regular hospital room.
He was often completely pampered with medication, making him unable to talk to.
His chest was covered with band aid, the rest of his body was dressed in pajamas and his hair was wet of transpiration.
Apparently Xiah had been plagued with bad dreams.
Out of his arms came a variation of small tubes that provided him with the needed minerals and liquids.
‘Will he come out of it okay?’ you asked the nurse when she came to change one of the liquids.
‘His head did not suffer any trauma. If his chest heals the way it does now, he’ll be no different from as he was before he received his wounds.’ the nurse reassured you and Micky (he had come to see Xiah with you).

The first week had been a very sad week.
Xiah’s condition was unstable and he had even needed CPR at some point.
They weren’t at all sure he was going to make it.
However the guy had had much luck, for the bullets had not damaged any of his most important internal organs, like his lungs or his heart.
One centimeter to left or right and it could have been fatal.
That that had been the case for both bullets was in itself extraordinary.

Then there was the releasing of TaeMin and the reuniting of the presidential family.
JiYa had been thrilled to meet her family in good state of mind again and to introduce TaeMin to them.
TaeMin had been a little nervous, but JiYa, you and the boys had reassured him there was nothing to be afraid of.
Dressing up both JiYa and TaeMin had been a welcoming break from the uncertainty and sadness that had become part of your everyday life.
When the couple came back, joyful stories again softened the edgy pain of worry.

Now you were sitting beside Xiah, with Micky on your side.
His medication was getting less, however Xiah was still mostly asleep.
“I’ll be in the dorm okay? See you soon.” Micky said while kissing you before he left you in the hospital room with Xiah.
You wondered why Micky was leaving.
“Why aren’t you staying a little longer?” you asked.
“I’m a bit tired…” Micky answered, although he didn’t look anything near tired.
However before you could ask him more, he disappeared through the door of the hospital room.

A few minutes after Micky left, Xiah woke up.
“Are you sitting there for a long time already?” Xiah asked, still a little dazed by medicine and sleep, while he looked at you through half closed eyes.
“Well, depends on what you call long.” you smiled, “If you think one hour and a half is long, then yes.”
Xiah grinned a little and then became serious again.
“Isn’t anyone else coming with you?”
Although he didn’t ask specifically, you knew he meant to ask about Micky.
“No, he was here before, but right now it’s only me and you.” you answered.
“Oh.” was all Xiah said and closed his eyes for a short time, before continuing. “I’m happy that you’re here…”
“Thank you, I’m happy that you’re doing much better now.” you answered and smiled.
“If it wasn’t for you, I’d be in a much worse state.” Xiah confessed to your bewilderment.
What did he mean?
You couldn’t recall ever doing something to ease his pain or to prevent him from getting his wounds.
“I don’t follow…” you let out.
“All I could think about during the critical time in hospital was you.” Xiah said and looked you straight in the eyes.
“Xiah, but I’m-…” you breathed, taken aback by his sudden, but deep confession.
“I know I can’t have you and I’m not looking to steal you from anyone.” Xiah reasoned. “Micky is a lucky guy and he loves you and I can see you love him too. I wouldn’t want to take that away from you, but I do love you and thinking of you gave me a goal to stay alive and to keep myself from giving in to the black whole of everlasting rest. Even though I shouldn’t long for you. …But please, hear me out, okay?”
You nodded.
“I really didn’t want to fall in love, I just couldn’t suppress the feelings that were brooding inside me whenever you smiled at me or said something friendly. When you and Micky started dating, I really blamed myself for not trying harder and being so passive in showing you what I felt. I can’t tell you how much it hurt to see you with someone else, even thought that someone else was Micky, one of my best friends. However I learned to see you as his girlfriend and I have peace with it now.” Xiah sighed.
Something told you his view on you could easily turn into love again.
He might say he saw you as Micky’s girl, if anything were to happen between Micky and you, you were certain Xiah would be there to take over if you let him…
“Xiah, no matter what, you’ll always have a spot in my heart, you know that? You are one of my closest, most dear friends. You won’t lose me…” you reassured him.
“I know… but if ever… you and Micky… if you break up, I’m there for you.” Xiah confirmed your thoughts.
“Xiah that’s sweet of you.” you smiled and took his hand briefly.
“Now go to your boyfriend, he’s probably waiting for you!” Xiah said and waved you away with a smile.
You stood up and smiled back at him.
Xiah waved and you could see the corners of his eyes were watery.
He would spend some time crying, after you had left…

Xiah’s words moved you.
Not because you liked him too, but because you had broken Xiah’s heart.
It was like a déjà vu, first Max and now Xiah…
You hoped not to receive a similar confession from either Hero or U-know.
Although it was flattering to have more guys love you, it also meant you had to let them down.
Micky was your one and only, the others were just friends.
Their confession made it a bit difficult for your friendship to continue in the same way as it had always been, but Max had already proved it possible.

________~END OF CHAPTER 58~________