[007]

Protect My Queen

The next morning felt way too peaceful.

 

Kwang Soo woke up tangled with Joong Ki, who had used him as an extra large bolster. He was too groggy to push Joong Ki off him, therefore he let the seemingly younger man cling onto him. Suk Jin was snoring, his mind and body taking the extra rest. Jae Suk, on the other hand, had already got up and ran a few rounds around the Song family mansion, greeting maids and servants who were up early as well. He got a few extra warm cookies from the kitchen when he helped an elderly lady chef move her crate of spices.

 

When he got back, they were still sleeping soundly.

 

He smiled to himself, and went out to make a jug of coffee for the rest of them, pushing the looming issue that is Ji Hyo's kidnapping away from his mind for now. Even the toughest crime-fighters deserve their rest, however brief it is.

 

Another hour passed by with Jae Suk already bathed and finished a section of the morning paper. Kwang Soo was the first among the three to wake up, shifting Joong Ki into a comfortable sleeping position before getting up. He was sleepily munching on some bread when Suk Jin woke up, looking like he'd aged 10 years after a night's sleep.

 

"Good morning, Suk Jin hyung," Kwang Soo and Jae Suk greeted him simultaneously, while Jae Suk poured a cup of coffee for Kwang Soo. "Did you sleep well?" Jae Suk asked, scoffing endearingly at Kwang Soo who drank the coffee a bit too quickly and burnt his tongue.

 

"Pretty good, I'd say," Suk Jin checked his phone after washing up, before a flash of worry painted over his face.

 

"What happened, hyung?" Jae Suk's keen eye did not allow him to miss that brief change of expression.

 

"It seems that we're having guests over today."

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The next morning felt extremely peaceful for Gary, too. He felt weird sleeping in full attire, since he would usually go commando under the sheets, but surprisingly, he slept well. He blinked his eyes open at the morning rays that had started filtering into the apartment. It was so gentle and warm, and it awakened a warm stream flowing through him.

 

If only his life could be this peaceful.

 

He took a moment to look at the blue skies. White clouds are starting to form, and there were birds chirping in the distance. It took him a while to realize that there is something heavy pressed against his shoulder. He turned aside, and was a little surprised to see Ji Hyo leaning against him, sleeping ever so soundly.

 

Her hair was a mess, was hanging open a little, and she even had a little drool down her chin. Gary extended his free arm over to her face, trying to wipe off the drool as gently as possible, and he succeeded. He got panicked watching her smack her lips a little, but her body decided to have more sleep, so Gary's little feat wasn't exposed.

 

He breathed out a sigh, and continued watching the skies until he fell back asleep, his head resting on top of Ji Hyo's this time.

 

The next time he woke up was when he heard the front door being opened. It was Jong Kook who had just came back from his daily morning jog, and he had bought breakfast for all of them. Gary slowly shook Ji Hyo awake, while Jong Kook went to wake Haha. Gary released Ji Hyo from her cuffs, allowing her to have a simple morning wash, even letting her use one of the spare toothbrushes to brush her teeth. During the entire time Ji Hyo was washing up, Gary was right outside the bathroom standing guard, just in case Ji Hyo tries to do anything funny.

 

After washing up, Gary wanted to let Ji Hyo join them in breakfast.

 

"Gary, what are you doing? Cuff her onto the table." Jong Kook was still wary of Ji Hyo, and fixed his gaze at Gary while he obliged his orders, locking one of Ji Hyo's hands onto one of the four legs of the table.

 

"But, Jong Kook hyung, we don't have to go until such extents..." Gary tried to plead for Ji Hyo, he really did. But Jong Kook was persistent.

 

Ji Hyo fumed at Jong Kook, but it did nothing much to him who did not as much as blink at her direction. She wanted to starve herself, but then she thought it would be fruitless if she did not have the energy to escape when she got the chance to.

 

"Seriously, eating with one hand is troublesome," Ji Hyo muttered to herself as she bit down on a piece of bun. She put down the bread, and tried to pour a glass of milk for herself when Gary intercepted her.

 

"I'll do it for you," Gary's words were filled with kind intentions, and it was refreshing to listen to, compared to Jong Kook's harsh words. She got stunned into silence by his kindness, and hesitantly retracted her hand back, while she watched him pour a cup of milk and handed it to her direction. "Here you go."

 

Jong Kook and Haha were watching this entire exchange quietly.

 

"Thank you," Ji Hyo took over the cup of milk, and despite the ringing voice inside her head telling her to never let her guard down, something within her heart tells her that this person could be trusted, even if its just a little.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

By noon, the aforementioned guests Suk Jin was talking about showed up. Kwang Soo spotted them through the window when they drove in with their van.

 

"Hyung! Are these the guests you were talking about? The other secret agent team named Idols?" Kwang Soo called out to Suk Jin, and he rushed towards the window, looking down at the agents who were already unloading the spy gears they had stashed in their van.

 

"What kind of a name is 'Idols', anyway?" Jae Suk snorted, as he, too, watched the seemingly young agents marched into the mansion. He could recognize some elite agents who had just graduated from their special agents training academy, but he didn't expect them to be in the field so early after graduation.

 

"Our team name, 'Void', could literally mean 'nothing', Jae Suk," Suk Jin went though his phone again. Apparently, he had figured out how to hack into the SBS Police Department's database 4 years after he joined the force. "This team is new, I don't think we've ever met them before. Assigning two teams on a same mission could be troublesome."

 

"What is Chief Song thinking?" Jae Suk heaved out a sigh, mumbling while repeatedly knocking his head against Kwang Soo's chest, who coughed a little at the force hitting at his lungs. "If he intends for us to be their mentor on their first field mission, don't you think this case is a little too big for them to handle?"

 

Just then, there was a knock at the door. Joong Ki peeked into the room rather timidly, addressing the three agents in the room.

 

"My uncle wants to see the three of you. He said its something important? I saw a lot of people entering the mansion, is everything going to be alright?"

 

"Yeah, we know." Jae Suk smiled warmly and patted Joong Ki's back. "We got this. Everything's going to be fine." Even so, Joong Ki looked uncertain, until Kwang Soo gave him a piece of his chocolate (that he had stashed just in case he needed a quick fix of sugar rush), only then the young man visibly calmed down. He followed the three of them back to the living room, where a team of 7 young agent graduates were waiting for them.

 

Chief Song had his back against the Voids, and he turned around when he heard footsteps approaching. "Ah, there you are! Let me introduce you to a new elite team. We call them 'Idols'." Chief Song had a somewhat hopeful tone in him when he said, "They are going to assist you and your team in finding back my daughter, Jae Suk."

 

Jae Suk took a brief look at the young faces. The faces that looked like they've seen no war. And yet, there was something that tells him that they do. "With all due respect, sir, might I ask if their role was to observe or to assist? I'm capable of this task with my team members."

 

"Did I stutter? I said, they are here to assist you." Chief Song turned to address the group of people known as Idols. "These are the finest agents I've ever had the privilege of having under my wing. I know its their first mission, but who knows, they might ace their first task, giving the amount and level of training they've logged."

 

He then walked towards the one right at the middle, patting his back as he began. "This is Jung Yong Hwa. He's the leader of the Idols." Moving on, he introduced each and every one of the team.

 

"This is Minho, he's skilled in several styles of combative fighting."

 

"His name is Kim Myung Soo, code name 'L'. He's one of the brightest minds when it comes to the digital world of hacking."

 

"Over here, we have Kim Jong Hyun, a budding genius in skilled movements, just like you, Jae Suk."

 

"Here is Lee Joon, our weapons expert."

 

"And right here, a representation of the beautiful mix of deadly and beauty, our very own Sulli."

 

"Last but not least, the maknae of the group, Kwang Hee. He's mostly the bait to fish out the big guys."

 

Mr. Song's introduction of the team was interrupted by the person named Kwang Hee.

 

"Hey, hey! I'm useful to the team too, okay!"

 

"Yes, yes you are." Jong Hyun, the leader, patted Kwang Hee's back kindly. It's sounds like he's consoling a child, and he secretly admits that it kind of feels like it.

 

"We're proud to have Chief Song to remember our names." Minho said, beaming with unmasked pride and happiness. This resulted in another pat on his back.

 

"All of you are my pride, it's a definite must to remember your names." Mr. Song turned, so that he's standing in the middle of both teams, with the Idols on one side and the Voids on another.

 

"I'm counting on both teams to get back my daughter, safe and unharmed. Is that clear?"

 

"Yes, sir!"

 

The chorused answer marks the beginning of a partnership between both teams. However reluctant both sides are to team up, they're united under a common goal.

 

... Or is it?

 

~TBC

 

A/N: It's late , but it's here! Thanks for everybody who left nice comments to push and motivate me to update!