[005]

Protect My Queen

Looking back to a few hours ago, where Xenon had already begun their mission to infiltrate the Song mansion. Haha was sent to hunt for any loopholes in the seemingly impenetrable fortress. He found his way in by scaling over the high fences before dusk, where he gathered intel that it would be armed with electricity during the night.

 

Landing safely on the grass patch, Haha headed towards the power house, his tool kit strapped around his waist. Reaching towards the power house, he took out his lock-picking tools, and unlocked the metal door with it. Heading inside, he searched the power house for the cable that controls the security systems. It took him a bit of searching around, but he found it eventually.

 

"Snip snap goes the wire."

 

Haha tucked the wire-cutter back into his bag and spoke into his earpiece. "Jong Kook hyung, Gary, you're safe to enter!"

 

Heading outside, Haha knocked out the patrolling guards at the front yard with sleeping gas, while keeping a lookout for Jong Kook and Gary as they slip through the fence. They entered and set off towards the mansion. Jong Kook saw the Song family having dinner through one of the windows, and quickly led Haha and Gary away from the seeing range from the dining room.

 

"Now, nobody had tried to infiltrate the Song mansion before, so we're absolutely clueless about where Song Ji Hyo's room is. Be on your guard." Jong Kook said while Haha picked the lock of the front door. It took him a few attempts, and thankfully the front door did not make as much as a creak when it opened, plus the butler was currently serving the family in the dining room, which made Xenon's entrance a huge success.

 

Jong Kook raised his finger, pointing upwards, signalling them to enter the upper level of the mansion. They made their way upstairs while carefully treading on the carpeted floor. Haha found the study room, which have yet to be cleaned up from the mess Joong Ki and Kwang Soo made earlier. He suggested that they hide themselves in that room, but Jong Kook was against it because he deduced that the maids may come and clean it up any time soon.

 

Moving on, they heard footsteps down the hallway, accompanied with small chatting sounds. They immediately threw themselves back into the study room, listening to the footsteps walking by, waiting for the steps to disappear within earshot, before getting back to their task of searching Ji Hyo. They were passing by the guest room, and heard a lot of chatting noises inside. They were about to ignore it, but Jong Kook took it upon himself to listen to the noises in the room. Pressing his ear to the door as close as possible, he heard them.

 

"Voids. They are inside." Jong Kook whispered, his tone suggesting that he may have already anticipated any resistance. It still came off as a shock to Gary.

 

"What should we do now, hyung?" Gary asked, sounding worried. Void is the strongest technical squad in SBS Police Department, no thanks to the hawk-eyed shooter of the team, Yoo Jae Suk. Gary had seen Jae Suk in action before, when he was still homeless and wandering around town. There was a bank robbery, and Jae Suk had put down the robber with a shot to the leg, when the robber was running away. It might just be a lucky shot, but Gary doesn't want to underestimate Jae Suk's actual ability.

 

"No," Jong Kook explained. "Going against them would be a waste of time. We're here for Song Ji Hyo. Get the girl and get out of here."

 

Just then, Gary heard somebody walking down the hallway they were in, their footsteps light and nimble. He quickly got Jong Kook and Haha's attention, the three of them going back to the study room to hide themselves. Being extremely quiet, they waited for the footsteps to walk past where they were.

 

Jong Kook caught a glimpse of the lone figure walking down the hallway.

 

It was Song Ji Hyo.

 

The corner of Jong Kook's lips curled upwards. He kept an eye on Ji Hyo while signalling for Gary to prepare for the abduction, watching her walking down the corridor all by herself, her hair bobbing slightly with every step she took.

 

"Let me." The moment he finished preparing the chloroform-soaked cloth, Gary went out instead of Jong Kook, like they had previously planned. He did not hesitate as he dashed out sneakily, covering the chemical handkerchief over Ji Hyo's mouth and nose, locking her neck with his free arm to restrain movement and inhaled air.

 

All Gary can think about was how he could be useful to Jong Kook for once.

 

Ji Hyo was taken aback by the sudden assault, but she regained her calm shortly. Her many years of practising self-defence skills were finally up for good and practical use.

 

She held her breath to stop herself from inhaling more of the toxic chemical, then she elbowed Gary in the chest, making him loosen his grip of the handkerchief on . She felt slightly dizzy, but not entirely unconscious. Even so, Gary's lock on her neck remains sturdy.

 

Noticing that Ji Hyo is showing resistance, Haha grabbed one of the books immediately, dashing towards the struggling pair, using it to hit across the back of Ji Hyo's head. Ji Hyo stopped struggling altogether, losing conscious on the spot and fell onto Gary, to which he quickly dragged her back to the study room, where Jong Kook waited angrily.

 

"I could've done the job by myself!" Jong Kook hissed.

 

"Well, I got her, alright? If I'm going to actually stick around in this shady business, I might as well start having practice." Gary settled Ji Hyo down on the ground, cross-checking her with the photo he had brought along with him. "Yep, it's her."

 

Jong Kook sighed, giving them further instructions to help him in moving Ji Hyo away from the mansion. Heaving Ji Hyo up on his shoulders, Jong Kook went back to the stairs that led to the foyer, where the front door is. Lucky for them, the butler seemed to be busy with the after-dinner cleaning, leaving the foyer unmanned. Quickly descending the stairs, they sprinted out the door and returned to the spot where they had climbed in. Slowly moving the body across the wall, they're back to their van within moments.

 

"Well that was easy." Gary commented, tying up Ji Hyo against the car seat.

 

A playful glint flitted across Jong Kook's eyes.

 

"Haha, do you think we should let those idiots know that we've already got our hostage?"

 

"Sure, Jong Kook hyung." Haha had a mischievous grin on his face as well.

 

"Stay with the girl. Haha and I are going to send a message." Jong Kook ordered Gary to stay put. Looking at Haha and Jong Kook's shadowy figure scaling the fence, Gary wondered if he would be able to get close to them someday.

 

The duo went back to the power house, with Haha disabling the electricity of the second floor. After succeeding in doing so, the both of them sneakily returned to the guest room where the Voids were in, unlocking the door swiftly and quietly with Haha's skills and took advantage of their momentarily confusion to keep themselves in the dark until Jae Suk noticed them.

 

"Hello, Kim Jong Kook." Jae Suk can't believe how calm he sounded.

 

"Good evening, Yoo Jae Suk."

 

"Finally making your appearance, aren't you?" Jae Suk's eyes were already getting used to the dark at this point. Making out Jong Kook's figure, he reached for his gun and aimed at Jong Kook's forehead, confidence flowing whenever he held his trusty weapon.

 

"Yes, of course, and I bring good news. Miss Song was already in our hands."

 

The Voids were stunned into silence. For a long while, nobody made a sound. Jae Suk took a deep breath. It seemed too absurd to believe what he had heard. He knew Xenon was incredibly efficient, but in this short while... A part of him refused to acknowledge Jong Kook's statement.

 

"Prepare 200 million. We'll keep in touch." Leaving his message, Jong Kook immediately left the room, with Haha trailing behind him, both of them sprinting down the hallway. Jae Suk only recovered from his own internal conflict when they made their move. He cursed himself for letting his guard down and not pull the trigger at Jong Kook.

 

The Voids immediately chased after the Xenon duo, Jae Suk firing as soon as they were outside the mansion. Shooting while running had greatly affected his accuracy, but one of the bullets had hit Haha's calf, which made him fell onto the ground. Jong Kook heard Haha's yelp and made a swift turn to pick Haha up.

 

"Stop!" Jae Suk yelled, getting out of breath as he watched Jong Kook hurl Haha over the fence, before climbing it himself. He fired another shot towards them, but it only scraped the fence that Jong Kook's climbing on. "Damn it!"

 

Meanwhile, over the fence, Jong Kook was moving Haha into the van's passenger seat. The younger man was wincing in pain, holding back his urge to yell and scream as he tried to ignore the pain blooming from his right leg.

 

"Are you okay, Haha?!" Jong Kook immediately asked when he finally settled him down. Gary, who had settled himself on the driver's seat, looked back and saw the wet stain on Haha's calf which he knew could not be sweat nor water. "Haha! You got shot?"

 

"No , Gary," Haha managed to squeeze out a half-hearted insult, trying to stop himself from thinking of the pain. Gary immediately drove all four of them away when Jong Kook finally closed the door of their van.

 

Back in the mansion, Mr. Song was torn between equal levels of anger and disappointment, while Mrs. Song sobbed, hands cupping her face.

 

"She was our only daughter!" Mrs. Song had yelled. "She's our precious little girl! And you let them take her away from us!"

 

Ji Hyo's father interrupted. "I gave you a task. A simple task, to protect my daughter. If they could break into our house right under our noses, who knew what they would do next? Or what they're capable of?!"

 

Mr. Song was trying to keep his emotions in bay, but it was hard to not lash out on the people responsible for her safety.

 

The second floor's lights came back after a short while, thanks to their in-house technician. Mr. Song was about to remove them from the case, but Jae Suk managed to convince him to let them keep working on it.

 

"One last chance, Jae Suk. If you screw this up you're fired."

 

~TBC

 

A/N: Comments and upvotes are most appreciated!