1

Bus

There’s something about bus journeys that makes Jonghyun doze off into dreams and potential snoring. He has a car, which is brand spiffing new. However, he always took the public transport whenever he had to go to college. It became an absolute habit to him even though he thought the buses around his area are slow and late, he hated that the most. He took the bus for various reasons; the fake one which is the cost of gas, but the real reason was her. Jonghyun didn’t have a clue who that person was, and all he could do was look out the window at the right time when the bus passes the central park. He would wake up from his short nap (tiredness from playing games, really hit him the next day) and see this girl. He would plug out his earphones as he listens to Ra.D to get a slight glimpse when the bus doesn’t stop for any other passengers. He would take that time to just examine, not to the extent of admiring the girl as he thought that it was weird and he didn’t even know who she was. But he had to admit, she was the most beautiful girl he has seen. She was not his ideal type but that just shifted to cater to who she was. Long hair, seems shy and kinda chic. She seemed to be of short height but Jonghyun couldn’t really tell as she sat down most of the time on the park bench (Jonghyun gave a sigh of relief so he won’t look so small). She wore glasses with thick frames that can cover her face and Jonghyun would just think to himself that it was cute. She would read different novels everyday as Jonghyun would notice, which gave him the idea that she’s into reading and stuff like that. These were only some of the traits that Jonghyun noticed from watchi- no, spectating the “goddess” (as he would whisper under his breath) on his journeys to college. Exactly at 8:40am he would see her sitting down (He always prayed that the bus would stop at the central park at the exact time), head low while she does her thing that always entertained her audience that she doesn’t know of.

Jonghyun’s days in school become less and less due to him being a senior and all so, less time has been spent on seeing the girl. His friends would about this and they would say “Yah Jonghyun, move your and just talk to her. It’s been a whole year now that you’ve been stalking this girl. Do something.” That’s just what Jonghyun wants to do, to do something.

So, Jonghyun specifically went to the park at the exact time he would see the girl. He took the bus from home there again but suddenly, it started to rain. He looked out of the window and slapped himself on the forehead. “Man, what if she’s not there. It’s drizzling outside.” He thought as he observed his situation. Fortunately, he was lucky. The rain subsided after 5 minutes and he tested his luck again that she would be there still. Reading or writing in her diary (from what he saw one day he noticed that pen in her hand). After, 10 minutes of waiting in his seat next to an old man he didn’t really admire the smell of, Jonghyun arrived. Just in time as expected “8:40”, Jonghyun looked at his watch and he walked up to where this girl with blonde hair sat. Jonghyun froze when he saw the girl close up, closer than usual without the dirty bus window disturbing his vision but this was real, he was in awe and he kind-of got stuck in place, watching still. Jonghyun awkwardly turned away when the girl looked up and take a quick break from reading. As expected, it was a different novel. She really loved those. To not seem overly awkward in front of the girl, he sat on the bench about 3 meters beside the girl not really knowing what to do next but find the right opportunity to approach her. Jonghyun was very displeased with his current actions and he wanted to do something as soon as possible but his voice wouldn’t let him. He tried practicing his line like “Hey, you doing well?” or “Hi, I think you’re cute” as the more direct approach but none of those seemed to uplift his confidence to do it. While Jonghyun had a fight with his self-confidence, He didn’t notice that the distracted girl was watching him because of all the noise he made, reciting pick-up lines that his friends gave him.

The girl stood up and he went towards Jonghyun with books clutched around her frail arms. Jonghyun gave himself multiple facepalms before locking eyes with someone’s cream coloured flats. Jonghyun immediately straightened himself out when the girl pointed her index finger at him. “Hey you, are you thirsty?” Jonghyun tingled when he was approached by the girl but at the same time his pride fought with him by not approaching her first. Before he replied, he pointed at himself frantically and kept looking behind to see if she really did talk to him. “Huh?” He tried to play it cool (but failed). The girl gave him a directionless look which Jonghyun thought was quite intimidating. However, before he could properly answer, the girl cut him off “I just thought you would be free as no one really goes here. Quite a quiet place isn’t it?” Jonghyun again, replied with an unsure and surprised expression. Now the girl seems cute and vulnerable unlike her previous image. Jonghyun now, lost all of his pride as the girl dragged him up. “Stand up, before I leave you there. You’ll be a lonely man if you stay here” was the last thing he remembered before following the small girl  that led him to a small café with lots of notes on the walls where other customers have written on, mostly from couples. Jonghyun was the most doubtful man at that time due to the lack of information being thrown at him. He didn’t know how to react to this small girl, now ordering mocha and cappuccino for Jonghyun.

The girl came back with two cups on a silver tray with a big blueberry muffin that he’s absolutely sure she wouldn’t finish. It was bigger than her face. Jonghyun could finally speak as he took a sip from the lovely cappuccino that the girl gave her. “Umm, why did you take me with you?” The girl looked up at him with foam still visible from her upper lip. “Because you seem like you need some company. You were speaking to yourself earlier so I thought that you would need someone to talk to.” A small smile crept up her lips before she took a bit out of her muffin. Jonghyun palmed his face and thought she thinks I’m crazy, damn those pick-up lines. I knew I shouldn’t have kept them in mind*. After his fight with himself, the man finally spoke up, “So, what’s your name?” The girl was happily munching on her blueberry muffin and she stopped a bit to swallow and answer the confused guy in front of her “Jessica. Call me Sica, Sic, Sooyeon, any of those would be fine” She went back to eating as soon as Jonghyun acknowledged her answer. “Jonghyun, my name is Jonghyun. You could call me Jong if you wanted to. Jonghyun felt uneasy that she just sat there and acted like Jonghyun was a tag-along. *Maybe, I’m just a crazy man to her* these types of thoughts rushed his mind while he finished everything in his big cup. Jonghyun lost her interest to him again, and he thought of the dumbest line to say to her. “Are… we friends now?” Sica stared at Jonghyun in a playful manner which Jonghyun kind of misunderstood at first but caught on that she was joking. “Yeah of course, I don’t really have many friends around. I live in a dorm on my own too. I’m what you might call, a loner.” Jong felt sorry for the girl and he replied with a genuine smile contrasting the defensive smiles he showed earlier. He pushed his empty cup away from him to signal he finished. “Oh, well I’ll be your friend then. I could introduce you to mine as well.” Jessica answered with an “oh” and said “I have friends, they’re here look” As she said that, 8 other girls arrived in the coffee shop. One of the taller ones shouted “Yah, what now Sica?!” as they walked in a pack towards the two, obviously scaring Jonghyun to the edge of his seat. Jessica stood up and greeted the other girls with a hug one by one and Jonghyun quickly followed to show common courtesy, by bowing 8 times, to each of them. Jessica was all smiles now. She turned into someone who was just craving blueberry muffins to a social butterfly. *I thought she was a loner, now what does this make me?* Jonghyun quietly sighed to himself which caught the attention of the other girls, now around him on the small table that the café provides. The tall one spoke up again while he observed all the movement that suddenly occured around him. She smirked, “So it’s him?” That question made him more confused. What did she mean by that? He turned to Jessica for any response but she just shyly smiled to herself and lightly smacked the other girl as she clung on to her shoulders, obviously hiding something from her other friends. “So it is him.”  The one with short hair added in, Jonghyun twiddled his thumbs on the spot while the awkward atmosphere he was feeling made him shrink down his seat. Jonghyun felt the need to go so he slowly stood up and murmured “Umm, Jessica I think I need to go.” He motioned his thumb towards the exit but he was stopped by the three girls that looked alike. They sat him back down. “Do you love our unnie?” They said in synchronization. Jong nearly fell off his chair this time round and all eyes were on him. “…Wha- I just met Jessica toda- I mean, she dragged me out here and- well no. We just met but I want to be friends with her”.

Bad answer.

The eight girls that were interrogating him didn’t buy his response. Especially with the amount of stuttering he did throughout. The short one (Jessica called her Taeyeon) was not pleased. The girl comically punched the table when she anticipated a better response. “He’s not a good talker.” Jong cleverly avoided any more trouble when he just acknowledged their statements towards him *I gave them a bad first impression. Damnit* However, he was so caught up with what Jessica’s friends thought of him, that he didn’t noticed Jessica. Jessica‘s aura went from happy to sad in a short amount of time, less than a normal person in his opinion. She just looked down at her legs under the table and she stopped talking. What Jonghyun doesn’t know is that it was because of him.  He was too intrigued with all the weird scenarios that happened to him today in quite a short amount of time too, which was not common for a normal person too. He stole glances at the girl while he tried to converse with the other girls to get their impressions of him to a better state but this just bummed him out. So this time, he stood up and confidently addressed something, “Umm.” He coughed in preparation, “Can I speak to Jessica outside please. I just need to say something before I go” He was looking at his clock “It’s kinda late” and noticed that it turned slightly dark outside. He led Jessica outside with no contact at all but with hands in his pockets. Jessica trudged on as well, with hand in her jean pockets.

“Well. That was interesting.”  Jong started off to ease any awkwardness and also tease the 8 pairs of eyes staring at them. He quickly got used to them. “Yep, they’re my close friends. I hope they didn’t scare you away” Sica placed her hood up now to lessen the wind going to her face. The winter wind was making the talk less desirable for her. Jong saw this and straight away, he took off his coat and wore it over her. Jessica flinched a bit as she witnessed the quick action but she didn’t retaliate because it felt right. Jonghyun shone Jessica with a smirk that could fool anyone he’s a playboy or a gentleman and Jessica fell for the latter. Jonghyun though still didn’t know why he was asked about loving Jessica when he just met her. He wanted to ask but steered to a different topic so he won’t have to deal with anymore mishaps. So, he took out his phone and asked for Jessica cellular as well which she obediently followed “I’ll be your friend okay? Just keep in contact and we’ll be close” Sica’s mood went back to a state that Jong wanted, a happy one and he wants to keep it at that. The excited expression on Jessica’s face as he pinned in his number on her phone was priceless but she didn’t know that he saw. “I’m going for now. Say goodbye for me to the other girls and wear that coat for tonight. You’ll see me again soon.” Jonghyun then manned up. “Come here” and gave Jessica a quick hug, just a quick one but he knew it will create a lasting impression on her, the good and memorable type. Just what she needed, “Good night Sica.” And he pulled away as he waved goodbye. He couldn’t forget his spectators inside the café and he waved to them as well with the same bows that he did earlier, leaving Jessica with his over coat. When she couldn’t see Jonghyun anymore, she ran back inside and took out her small diary that Jonghyun has seen before.  She drowned out all the questions shot at her by the eight girls and she wrote something on a new, clean page with today’s date.

*I finally talked to him* She then closed the diary and stuffed it inside her bag.

Jessica then made contact to all of the eye looking at her and squealed in a high pitch voice

“I finally talked to him!” resulting the other girls into hysterics.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tell me what you think guiseeeeee~

Thank you. Will get to the second part when I get an idea of what happens next. lolol