Midnight Rendezvous

Heart's Promise

Hello to all of my readers, 

 

Firstly, I'd like to make a huge apology for not updating for a long long time. I've been so busy working on my other fanfic, that I haven't had the opportunity to sit down and write another chapter for this. I hope you will forgive me for this long overdue update. I'll be updating this fanfic less often but I'll still try to make an update at least once a fortnight. Thank you to all of my subscribers who have been so patient with me, I am very grateful for your support♥ And I was so happy reading all your lovely comments you wrote on the previous chapter. Thank you:D I hope you keep up the commenting!

 

I hope you enjoy this chapter! I apologise if it's not very well written, I haven't worked on this fanfic for ages and I lost track on what to write so it took me half the day to finish this short chapter. Hopefully I'll have a clearer mind on what to write for the next chapter.

 

(Note: Italics are a person's thoughts)

 

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

 

 

After Jessica walked off the stage, Yuri jumped in front of her clapping her hands.

 

“You are such a good singer Jessica, you have the voice of an angel, it was so pretty!” she gushed.

 

Jessica blushed slightly and murmured a soft thank you.

 

Suddenly, a hand tapped her on the shoulder. She turned quickly and met the steely eyes of the boss. As much as she wanted to, she was not able to draw her eyes from his gaze. Did I do something wrong?

 

Unexpectedly, his face broke into a smile.

 

“I was quite surprised at your singing actually. You have a beautiful voice. You can stay… in the A Class Quarters.” he said.

 

“Thank you Mr. …” Jessica stammered.

 

“…Choi.” he smiled.

 

His gaze turned cold and harsh as he faced Yuri, “Yuri, go and show Jessica where the A Class Quarters are.” He handed Yuri a key.

 

Yuri nodded and did a small curtsy, “Yes Sir.” she whispered.

 

“On second thoughts, bring your things there too, you can be Jessica’s maid.” he ordered before striding out the room.

 

Jessica looked at Yuri with confusion.

 

“Yuri, why do you have to call him Sir and curtsy to him? And why do you have to be my maid?” she questioned.

 

Yuri sighed, “Once we get to your room, I’ll explain. It’ll take some time.”

 

She deftly wrapped her belongings into a cream tablecloth and took Jessica by the hand. “Let’s go.” she smiled.

 

As Jessica was led up countless flights of stairs, she realised that the higher up they went, the prettier the rooms seemed to be. By the time they reached the top, Jessica was panting, never in her life had she gone up so many stairs. Yuri inserted the key into the lock and opened the door.

 

When Jessica looked inside, her jaw dropped.

 

In the centre of the room, there was a massive bed with lilac, satin sheets and rose-coloured pillows. A sparkling chandelier, glittering with crystals hung from the ceiling. Curtains of purple velvet were drawn back, showing the dark night sky which sparkled with countless stars. But what drew her attention the most were the walls. Instead of the usual, plain coloured walls, the walls were paintings of a forest.

 

“Did someone paint that?” Jessica questioned.

 

Yuri nodded as she unpacked her belongings, “The boss hired some of the best painters from other countries to paint all the walls in the A Class Quarters and the hotel rooms.”

 

“That’s amazing…” Jessica breathed, running her fingers along the wall.

 

Yuri smiled, “Wait until you see the rest of the room. There’s a balcony as well.”

 

Jessica nodded thoughtfully. “Can you tell me about the A Class Quarters and…”

 

Yuri cut her off, “Sure. It’s a little complicated though.”

 

She drew in a deep breath and continued, “Basically, the boss divides the performers into four classes: A Class, B Class, C Class and D Class. A Class are the best performers of course, they get paid the most and have more freedom than the lower classes.”

 

Jessica nodded, processing the information, “So, what class are you?”

 

Yuri laughed, “Be patient, I was getting to that part! I’m in D Class so I must address the boss as Sir and curtsy to him.”

 

Jessica furrowed her brows, “But why are you in such a low class?”

 

Yuri looked sad, she sighed, “I’m an orphan. My parents disappeared on a fishing expedition and I had no-one to look after me. I was only around 6 at that time. The boss found me and got me to be a servant to the household. I wasn’t meant to perform but one of the dancers from the D Class suggested I should perform with them for fun. And so, I work as a servant through the day and at night I perform. But the boss still disapproves of a servant who performs and we get into many disagreements about it.”

 

Jessica wrapped her arms comfortingly around the other girl who was crying.

 

“I’m so sorry.” she murmured, “You’ve had such a difficult life.” I feel so sorry for this girl. Even though she’s so bright and cheerful and caring, she has a very troubled past. I must remember to treat her well and help make her life better.

 

Yuri shook her head slightly while wiping away her tears, “Actually I’m quite grateful. I’ve heard of orphans who have ended up in a worse situation than me.”

 

Her face brightened up with a soft, radiant smile, “And I enjoy dancing a lot, even though I’m at the back all the time. When I dance, I feel free… I can be like a bird flying through the sky.”

 

Jessica laughed lightly, “I like that.”

 

Yuri looked confused, “Like what?”

 

Jessica smiled, “You’re always so happy and optimistic.” She paused a little before asking, “What is it that makes you so cheerful? Is there someone special in your life?”

 

Yuri shuffled her feet and looked at the ground with a tinge of pink creeping into her cheeks. “Uh…not really.”

 

Seeing that the other girl was extremely embarrassed, Jessica decided not to push the matter any further for now.

 

“Let’s have a shower and go to sleep.” she suggested.

 

Yuri nodded, looking glad for an opportunity to escape from the embarrassing situation before.

 

“Would you like to shower first?” she tentatively asked.

 

Jessica shook her head, “No, it’s fine. You can shower first.”

 

Yuri looked surprised, “You’re letting me shower first?”

 

Jessica nodded, “Yes, have you never showered first?”

 

Yuri shook her head.

 

Jessica smiled, “Well, enjoy doing so. You’ll get to shower first for many more times.”

 

Yuri blushed a little before throwing her arms around Jessica, “Thank you!” she beamed before dashing into the bathroom.

 

Jessica’s eyes followed Yuri. That girl is just so sweet and innocent, sometimes it seems like she’s just a little child. I still don’t know her age. I guess we have a lot to learn about each other.

 

She sat on the edge of the bed, playing with her strands of hair while thinking of something to do. Suddenly remembering that Yuri had mentioned that there was a balcony, Jessica walked to the curtains and opened them. She opened the door and stepped onto the balcony, breathing in the night sea breeze. The stars in the night sky were like tiny jewels. Wow! I have never seen so many stars before. Maybe arriving on this island wasn’t such a bad thing after all.

 

Looking up at the skies, Jessica began to hum a tune. She jumped in fright when a voice called out of the darkness.

 

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to frighten you.” said the voice which was smooth as silk and sweet as honey.

 

Jessica replied, “It’s alright. What are you doing out here in the night?”

 

The person replied, “I was listening to you hum. It’s very beautiful.”

 

Jessica could not help but smile slightly, “Are you trying to flatter me?”

 

The person laughed melodiously, “Maybe I am. But you have a very lovely voice. Were you by any chance the girl who was singing on stage tonight?”

 

Jessica wondered, “How do you know?”

 

The person laughed again, “Your voice is very distinct, in a good way of course. You sang wonderfully, especially since it was your first time doing it in front of such a large audience.”

 

Jessica asked, “How do you know that it was my first time singing in front of so many people? Do you read minds?”

 

The person let out a low chuckle, “No, I don’t read minds. But I can read a person’s body gestures very well. It’s really easy to tell that you were very nervous which usually happens with people singing in front of a crowd for the first time. But you gained a lot of confidence and became less nervous by the end. That’s good.”

 

Jessica pondered at the words for a moment. “Who are you?” she questioned.

 

“Me? I don’t think you would want to know.” the person answered with a sadder tone.

 

“Why? I’ll tell you mine.” said Jessica.

 

The person laughed, “I already know it. You’re Jessica right?”

 

Jessica gasped faintly, “I’m pretty sure you can read minds or you must be a good spy. How do you know so many things about me?”

 

The person replied, “I know a lot more about people than they think I know.”

 

Jessica pouted, “Can’t I at least know your name or part of your name? Please?” she added a little cuteness into her voice like she did, back when she was a kid and she really wanted her dad to buy her something.

 

The person sighed, “You’ve found my weak spot. I can’t tell you my real name. But you can call me Summer. I should probably get going now, my parents will be worried. It’s been a pleasure talking to you. Perhaps we can do so tomorrow night too. Farewell Jessica.”

 

Jessica gave a small wave, not knowing if Summer was able to see it, “Goodbye Summer. I’ve enjoyed talking to you too. I hope I can know who you really are.” she whispered.

 

Then the door opened, with a flustered looking Yuri.

 

“Jessica! I’ve been looking for you everywhere. What are you doing on the balcony wearing so less? You’re going to catch a cold!”

 

Yuri wrapped a blanket around Jessica’s shoulders and ushered her back into the room.

 

Unbeknownst to them, a tall figure stood beneath a gardenia tree, watching the two until they both went into the room.