He Can't Hear You Anymore

Everything Left Unsaid

 

Daehyun could feel the life seeping out of him, bullets speeding around him, some of them hitting his stomach and sides and others hitting his legs. He was losing enough blood to make him dizzy, and knew that if he didn’t get help soon, he would bleed to death. But he couldn’t bring himself to care, his eyes fixed on the figure on the ground as more blood began to pool around the dark brown lockes.

“I-I’m sorry…” The hoarse whisper sounded almost pleading, as if Daehyun was hoping Youngjae would open his eyes one more time, hoping Youngjae would hear the apology he deserved the most but never received from the older man. Daehyun began to limp towards the lifeless body, his eyes blurring, the gunshots and yells around him seeming to slowly fade away as he repeated the words like a mantra.

“I’m s-so sorry, Youngjae…”

“You’re such a ing screw up!” Daehyun punched the wall by Youngjae’s head in rage, feeling no pity as the younger man flinched. He saw Youngjae’s eyes water, but was far too angry to feel any sort of guilt.

“Daehyun-ah, it’s not his fault-“

“Yes it is!! It’s always his fault we get caught! He’s such a useless -up that can’t do anything right!”

“Y-you know I didn’t mean that, right, J-jaejae…?” Daehyun forced himself to hold back a choked sob as he uttered the old nickname he used to call his dongsaeng when they were still kids, old memories of Youngjae’s bright smile making his head spin.

“ you! You’re always blaming me for everything! I don’t have to deal with your bull!”

“Then why don’t you just leave then?!!”

“Daehyun-ah!” Daehyun ignored Yongguk’s yell, his eyes ablaze as he continued to stare down at the trembling man.

“It’s not like he’s hard to replace, anyone that knows how to hold a gun will be better than this piece of crap.”

“You know I can n-never replace you, r-right? You know that… p-please tell me you always knew that!!” The well aimed shot to his shoulder was nothing compared to the absolute emptiness he felt. He knew he looked like a madman, crying and pleading out to Youngjae as he fell to his knees beside him, pausing as if expecting an answer.

Daehyun used whatever strength he had left to turn Youngjae’s body over so he could face him, feeling nauseous as his stomach twisted horribly when he saw the deep slit right in the center of Youngjae’s throat, finally letting a few tears roll down his cheeks when he saw his best friend’s lips still curled in that small, apologetic smile he had right before the leader of the opposing gang took his life right in front of them.

“I-I never thought there would be a day where you wouldn’t be by my side…” Daehyun cradled Youngjae in his arms, holding Youngjae’s head close to his chest as he rested his hand against Youngjae’s cheek. Blood from his hand smeared over the bruised skin as he caressed his cheek, leaning down to place shaky kisses on Youngjae’s forehead just like he used to after he and Youngjae would have a fight and the younger male would be asleep. As long as they’d known each other, Daehyun had never apologized to Youngjae out loud. Despite every single insult and fight, he had never felt the need to. Youngjae would always be by his side the next morning, smiling as if nothing had happened, and he didn’t think that last fight would end differently.

“If you want me leave that badly, then fine! I’ll go!” Himchan groaned as Youngjae pushed Daehyun away before heading towards the exit, deciding it was finally time to intervene. He grabbed onto Youngjae’s wrist, trying to stop the other from leaving.

“Youngjae-ah, you know he doesn’t mean it-“

“Yes I do!” Glares were shot at Daehyun until Himchan felt Youngjae gently prying his hand off of his wrist. He saw the exhausted look in Youngjae’s eyes, and silently pleaded him not to do anything irrational.

“I’m done here. It’s all his fault we weren’t able to steal the diamond, and you know it’s true. We’d be better off without him.” Daehyun knew he was going to hear it later from Yongguk, maybe even get a few well-aimed kicks form Jongup and Junhong, but he was too frustrated to even think about that. They were so close to victory, so close to finally obtaining the prize they’ve been vying for for months, only to have their plans squashed by a silly mistake on Youngjae’s part. Daehyun turned and started to walk towards his room, only to freeze in his tracks at Youngjae’s barely audible words.

“I hate you…” Daehyun whipped back around to look at Youngjae, caught completely off guard by the words. No matter how bad their fights had become in the past, Youngjae had never uttered those three words to him. Daehyun didn’t want to think about why he felt like his heart had been cracked in two, or why his eyes were beginning to sting, or why he felt like his whole entire world was shattering before him, and before he knew it, we was snapping back.

“Don’t worry, the feeling’s mutual.” He saw something flash in Youngjae’s eyes underneath all the anger and resentment directed towards him, but it was gone as soon as it came. Before anything else could be said, Youngjae was walking out the door.

“I don’t hate you… you always knew that, r-right? D-do you really hate me, Jaejae?” Daehyun was smiling bitterly to himself, the reality that no matter how many question he asked Youngjae, he’d never hear that melodic voice answering back ever again causing him to sob even more.

He looked to the side and saw the briefcase holding the diamond Youngjae managed to steal from the opposing gang and bring to them before he was kidnapped. The realization that Youngjae did it to prove Daehyun wrong, to finally get Daehyun to utter words of praise instead of words of detest to him, made Daehyun break down.

“It’s not worth it… N-nothing will ever be worth your life…” Daehyun rocked Youngjae back and forth, his vision starting to become dark as more and more blood spilled from his gun wounds. Daehyun’s strength left him as he fell to the ground beside Youngjae, lifting his arms just enough so he could wrap them tightly around the one person he never thought he’d lose.

He whispered a few more words and pleads for Youngjae to answer him, to wake up, to tell him everything was just a horrible nightmare.

“W-wake up… Jaejae, wake up, p-please… I have t-to tell you something…” Daehyun’s voice was barely a whisper now, his fingers intertwining with Youngjae’s. But it didn’t matter how much he’d plead and cry, Youngjae was gone, and he would never be able to hear those three words Daehyun had been holding back.

‘Maybe in another world, we’re happy together…

Maybe in another life, I would have been kind to you…

You wouldn’t hate me, and you’d hear me say…’

“I love you…”

Daehyun let his eyes fall shut, the image of Youngjae’s sad smile burned into his mind before everything went black.

__________________

Yeah idk I think Youngjae gets kidnapped in the MV and like is help for ransom, but then like when the others come to exchange Youngjae for the ransom, as soon as Yongguk gives them what they want, they kill Youngjae, that’s why Yongguk’s yelling :o

idk how daejae came from this LOL i think i’m just daejae deprived OTL

not that good since angst isn’t my forte and I haven’t written anything in months OTL