That Bastard: Too Blind

Too Blind

Yes, do listen to That XX as background music.


Sehun was right. He had predicted correctly, yet again.

It hurt him to know this truth.

LuHan's boyfriend was seeing someone else. This was the fourth or fifth time that Sehun saw his friend’s boyfriend seeing someone else. He was sure of it, because they were far too close to be 'just friends'.

The worst thing was the fact that Lu Han was totally oblivious. Lu Han was too in love with his boyfriend to ever believe he would do such a thing.

Sighing, Sehun opened the door to his and Lu Han's shared apartment, his hands filled with the groceries. Lu Han was eagerly texting someone, his eyes glued to the screen of the phone. Sehun knew who he was texting just by his eagerness- his boyfriend.

"Yah, Hyung." Sehun called to his roommate, plopping on the ground next to him after kicking off his shoes and dumping the bags on the kitchen table.

"Don't 'yah' me." Lu Han pouted cutely. It made Sehun’s heart flutter. "Anyway, what do you want?" he asked finally, tearing his gaze from the phone that had stopped buzzing at that moment.

"Just wondering when you think you're going to lose your eyesight because of all this texting you and Kris do." Sehun shrugged with a soft fake smile. Lu Han burst into laughter. Sehun poked his friend's arm, as they sat on the laminated floor of their small two bedroom apartment. Sehun loved hearing Lu Han’s laugh. He could listen to it over and over. Sehun always made Lu Han laugh, even when he had a hard day with Kris. It was something Kris barely ever did, Sehun hoped.

"I know... Don't worry, he’s busy now anyway." Lu Han dismissed, a wide smile splitting his face, to a point he was literally glowing.

‘Busy with that panda guy.’ Sehun thought to himself miserably, forcing the smile on his face to remain.

"Anyway, thank you for buying the groceries! I'll get started on that omelette I promised you." Lu Han grinned, getting up from the floor. Sehun eagerly followed him to their cramped kitchen. Something in him felt wrong, the secretly held information of what his friend's boyfriend was doing was skinning him layer by layer.

"He's cheating on you." Sehun blurted, immediately clamping his hand over his mouth after the words were said. "H-He took off the ring you gave him... He had his arm around another guy." Sehun continued mindlessly, cursing himself mentally for not being able to control the words tumbling out of his mouth. When he came to a stop, he stared at Lu Han wide eyed, and started backing away. Sehun was almost scared of what else that might come out of his mouth if he didn’t shut it.

Lu Han didn’t say anything for a few moments. They were left in a dense silence that Sehun detested.

“K-Kris would never do that, Sehun. You can’t just accuse him like that. It’s just rude.” Lu Han almost pouted, his voice wavering with uncertainty. Sehun noticed this and winced. “H-How can you say that? And say Kris of all people? You know for yourself that Kris isn’t that sort of person Sehun!”

The said person swallowed, his line of sight drifting to the window behind Lu Han’s head, facing the busy roads of Seoul. Kris was that type of person. But because of LuHan, he decided to swallow his pride.

“I-I guess it must have been someone else then. I mean, I only saw their backside after all.” Sehun muttered, gnawing his bottom lip, and rubbing his upper arm nervously. Sehun had actually seen their faces. He was sorry for being impelled to do this. He hated lying to Lu Han, but for Lu Han’s happiness, he did.

Sadly, he coerced another fake smile on his face, hiding his upcoming tears. He hated that Lu Han of all people couldn’t see how in love Sehun was with him. “O-Oh, I have some homework to do, so… yeah.” Sehun’s voice cracked, as he whimpered his pathetic excuse. He quickly his heel, and sped towards his room, accidentally slamming the door in the process.

He sat on his mattress his head in his hands, breathing deeply. Sehun despised how oblivious Lu Han was. Sehun despised Kris for taking advantage of Lu Han’s innocence. Why couldn’t Lu Han understand, that Kris was no good for him? Why wouldn’t he let go of Kris’ hand, or his side? And why, just why could he not notice that Sehun’s day goes flying out of the window the moment he sees Lu Han sad because of Kris? The moment Sehun sees Lu Han upset; he feels he could die from the guilt building in his heart. 

Why didn’t Sehun take Lu Han’s heart before?

Sehun felt his eyes sting as he was immersed with regret. It was Sehun who met Lu Han first. It wasn’t Kris. It was Sehun who made friends with Lu Han first. It was Sehun who let Lu Han stay in his dorm for a few weeks before they moved into an apartment together. It was Sehun who was there when Lu Han was suffering. It was all Sehun. Not Kris.

Or maybe Sehun was just being selfish. But to him, that certainly wasn’t the case.  Sehun was just as good as Kris, Sehun was even better than Kris to be more frank.

So what did that bastard have that Sehun didn’t? Why, couldn’t Sehun love Lu Han the way Kris did? It was so obvious that Kris didn’t love Lu Han.

All Sehun wanted was for Lu Han to be happy. He just wanted him to be happy, to be able to get up from a push down. How long was Lu Han going to let Kris do this to him? How long was he going to let Kris push him around, and make him cry?

Sehun thought about the way Lu Han looked when he talked about Kris. The way his eyes lit up, and he babbled nonsensically about his boyfriend, even managing a boast or two in the process. The former noticed how good Lu Han looked, because he was laughing so heartily.

His thoughts running rampage through his brain’s cortex, he remembered Lu Han saying that the relationship was just perfect. Lu Han said that he was so in love with Kris Wu, and that their ‘relationship’ was going to last forever. It truly broke Sehun’s heart upon realisation that Lu Han had faith and belief in this.

He didn’t know what to do anymore.

All of their friends knew Kris well. He was one of those people that everyone had heard of at least once, if not twice. They knew he had a reputation, but they kept it shut.

Why couldn’t Lu Han see of all people? Just why couldn’t he see what everyone else saw? Was the phrase really true? Were people really blind once they were in love? Even with it waving in front of him, Lu Han didn’t notice a thing.

Sehun despised this with every fibre of his being, and wished for them to break up soon.

He slouched his shoulders forward, running his hand through his long blonde hair at the same time. Lu Han said that if Sehun dyed his hair blonde, he would do it too. And he did. Lu Han looked great of course. To Sehun, Lu Han couldn’t look anything less than perfect. Even when he was crying, Sehun thought that Lu Han was beautiful.

With his thoughts focused on Lu Han, he started to pinpoint what Kris had, that Sehun didn’t. He realised then, that Kris had a lot more than Sehun- physically. Kris had even more height, a god like beauty, he always dressed in a simple, almost humble manner, he was always up to date, had a well-paid job,  was fairly well off, he had the voice, the smile, and at that point, Sehun flung his arms in the air exasperated.

But that didn’t mean Sehun was planning to give up Lu Han altogether. Sehun was willing to give Lu Han his best. That was something Kris wasn’t planning on doing so. Kris, everyone knew, didn’t love Lu Han. And Sehun wondered when Lu Han would stop crying, and realise what everyone else has.

Sehun started to daydream as he fell to his side, his face falling deep into his pillow. He was still wide awake, but he wasn’t in this world. He was in his own.

Expensive cars, stylish clothes and sophisticated restaurants; to Sehun, they were all made for the existence of Lu Han.

But, that jerk by his side, really didn’t. Everyone knew that they don’t go well with each other; they were like oil and water. That jerk’s smiles and as are his actions are fake and everyone else knows he is actually thinking of another person.

Sehun shook his head, face still in the pillow. He mumbled to himself incoherently. Wanting to murder Kris for doing such a thing, it was a sin. All those tears that Lu Han had shed, they were pointless. Sehun knew he would treat Lu Han better. Sehun didn’t care; he wanted to share some of Lu Han’s hidden pain that he usually tried to handle by himself. Lu Han didn’t deserve the hardship that life presented.

He was shaken awake by a soft, wary knock on the door. “Sehun-ah… I made your omelette. How much homework have you done?” Lu Han called sweetly, making Sehun clench his heart in pain.

“Uh… I haven’t finished it yet, but I’ll eat first.” Sehun conjured a small lie, to hide his own suffering. Lu Han didn’t need to worry about Sehun. Wiping his tears with his duvet, he opened the door to his bedroom, with yet another fake smile painting his face.

Lu Han looked worried for his younger. The two stood in front of each other, just enjoying each other’s presence. This was definitely something Kris couldn’t do. Lu Han tilted his head slightly, and touched Sehun’s shoulder as a reassurance that Sehun’s outburst hadn’t done anything to their friendship. And for that, Sehun was grateful.

“Hyung… Can you just look at me for a moment?” Sehun asked softly, his friend’s cheek lovingly. He wondered then why Lu Han didn’t know that it was not Kris, but Sehun who he should be with. He couldn’t help but ask himself under his breath why Lu Han was the only one who didn’t know.

 It took Sehun a while to move, for he felt so happy just to be like this with Lu Han. But when he eventually did something, Lu Han led him to the kitchen, the omelette sitting beautiful and hot on a plate. Smiling genuinely with his eyes turning into crescents, Sehun took his friend’s hand and squeezed it tightly. It was simply a reassurance that their friendship was still intact.

He seated himself on the floor, the table in front of him. Lu Han scooped out freshly cooked fluffy white rice, cut him some of the omelette, and encouraged Sehun to take some of the buldak, and not just the kimchi that he bought. Sehun pouted, finally being able to relieve some of the pent up stress that he had encountered recently.

After eating exceptionally well, Sehun excused himself and dispersed to his room once more, deciding to actually do some of his homework, for Lu Han’s sake. He decided to avoid the living room, in case Kris came over. He barely did anymore, now that he had that panda guy.

He sighed loudly, glaring at the open notebook on his desk, as if the answers for his homework were going to magically appear if he stared long enough. He found it difficult to do his homework with Lu Han running through his mind more often than ever. Sehun wanted nothing more than to be able to call Lu Han his and stop this waiting. Sehun was not the most patient of people.

He especially couldn’t stand seeing Lu Han sad. Every time that beautiful smile left Lu Han’s face, Sehun felt like he could die.

And his insecurities started to make its foundations in his heart once more.

“Sehun-ah, I’m sorry for disturbing you, b-“ Lu Han didn’t finish his sentence, before loud sobs were heard from behind the door. At lightning speed, Sehun flung open his door, and felt two small arms wrapping around his frame.

“H-Hyung…” Sehun whispered, when he felt Lu Han shaking, crying hysterically on his shoulder. “W-What happened?”

“He’s leaving the country.”

“Kris?”

“He asked for a breakup. Said that he was scared he wouldn’t be able to keep his hands off. Sa-said, that it would be easier too.”

“Where to?”

“H-He didn’t tell me.” Lu Han burst into fresh tears, and fisted Sehun’s shirt as he sobbed on his shoulder, wetting Sehun’s thin t-shirt to the skin, and breaking Sehun’s heart in the process. Sehun was prepared to kill Kris for doing this to Lu Han. Sehun knew Kris was leaving Lu Han for that other guy.

“How long are you going to be like this Hyung?” Sehun asked softly, brushing his fingers in Lu Han’s soft blonde hair. Lu Han bit his lip as he met gazes with Sehun, but didn’t answer. Sehun carefully seated himself on the laminate floor with Lu Han still clinging to him for dear life. “How long will it take for you to notice?”

“I-I don’t understand Sehun.” Lu Han hiccupped, causing Sehun to smile faintly.

“I know, but you will soon.”