The Little Things

Under The Shady Tree

Chapter 1 - The little things.

 

Sorry for the long wait! When I opened my document to find the one-shot I realized that it wasn't saved so I got frustrated that I had to start from scratch. It was a painful process but here it is :') I hope you enjoy this oneshot and if your wondering if there would be a sequel, well I thought about it and I have a plot and everything but we'll see. It's all up to you guys. So if you thought that there was some unfinished buisness..... (I just spoiled it for you OTL) 

Comment and subscribe, please!

         -broberry

Word Count: 1908 words.


 

 


The day started as any other but no one could have known that by evening. Minwoo had gone home to his family with the most contented smile on his face.

 

It shocked them since he always came home in a menacing mood whenever he came home from school during high school. But after the first day of college, Minwoo would always go home all smiles.

 

His parents were just oblivious to the fact that it involved a girl.

 


 

It was one of those cliché days in the park where he settled down under a tree and was sketching the beautiful scenery before him when all of a sudden, his  eyes averted to the girl sitting on the bench who was writing something down on a notebook.

 

He was completely drawn to the girl that he couldn’t stop staring at her. Her long brown hair that fell to her face from time to time and her body was lean and skinny and Minwoo thought it was incredibly cute whenever her lips formed into a pout.

 

She wasn’t wearing anything attracting. It was a simple white jeans and a striped shirt that ended below her waist.

 

But it wasn’t her attire that attracted him. It was her face.

 

She had a small nose and was slightly flat and her cheeks had a pink colour. Her hair was long and ended halfway down her back. Her eyes had a hazel nut colour and it seemed to sparkle when her eyes met the lake. And lastly, her smile. Her smile was probably the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. It made his heart jump and left his stomach in knots when he saw that smile of hers. Call him crazy but Minwoo had to at least see her smile every day ever since.

 

Without knowing, he unconsciously started to draw her forgetting about the sketch he’d drawn earlier. The sight of the girl took his breath away.

 

Only then he realised that from one look, he had fallen for her. Ever since that day, he went to the park during his break to the usual tree and sat down and Minwoo would wait for that girl.

 

The girl who went in his life and stole his heart at a mere glance. He found out later on that day that out of the hundreds of students in his art class, she was in his class too. He also found out that her name was, Soyun meaning 'little sun'.


 

“What is this?”  Minwoo 's friend, Youngmin, held up Minwoo 's sketchpad and revealed its drawings. Every flip of the page contained endless drawings of the same girl over and over again. “N-Nothing! Why did you take this from my bag?” Minwoo said quickly snatching the pad from Minho. He didn’t miss that look Youngmin had in his eyes though. Disgust.

 

“I didn’t take it. I found it lying on the ground. Minwoo why are you drawing millions of drawings of Soyun? She’s that chick in your art class right?” Youngmin asked seriously. “Because this is not right Minwoo -ah. Is this what you do in your free time? Draw some girl’s face who doesn’t even know you exist?” Minwoo looked away avoiding the angry look from him. He didn’t answer. He didn’t need to. From the silence, Youngmin scoffed and walked away. Minwoo stared at the sketchpad on his hand wide eyed.

 

Youngmin was his friend, yet he walked away from something so simple. What was that about?

 

Minwoo didn't want to think of himself as a stalker because he wasn’t he was only drawing, his hobby. There wasn’t anything wrong with it.

 

But the more he thought about Soyun the more it made him look like one. It saddened him. It didn't mean he was going to stop though. When the word goes around that's where he'll cease his actions. 

 

Minwoo didn't want Soyun to think of him bad. 

 

After that, none of his friends had approached him. He grew anxious when he thought that Youngmin would spread the word around about his drawings. But he didn’t, much to his relief.

 


 

 

A month has passed and Minwoo's feelings towards Soyun grew stronger and stronger. He learnt that she likes to eat alone in the park. He also noticed that she was always alone when she went to the park but in class she was always surrounded by students.

 

He was surprised that she hadn’t noticed him at all. Although they were in one class together everyone seemed to have talked to at least everyone in the whole class, but he wondered sadly why she never talked to him let alone even glance at him for at least once.

 

He sat down to his seat and took out his necessary things for today’s class. He sighed and looked outside the window. He didn’t even notice the teacher coming in and the class had already started. He took out the sketchpad from his backpack and opened the first page.

 

He smiled softly. It was the first drawing he ever drew on the pad. And there was something about the sketch that made it full of life, like it was real. The first day he’d seen her was so clear in his mind the memory was still so fresh like it was yesterday.

 

Every time he drew her. Every shade, light or dark, it completely contrasted her beauty. 

 

And it wasn't the way he drew that makes it so light and beautiful. It was the person that was drawn. 

 

He put in every emotion he saw and he placed all his feelings into it.

 

“Minwoo, if you would kindly pay attention to my class and not drift off to your own little world.” The teacher’s voice boomed around the room his voice bounced from wall to wall. Minwoo snapped out of his trance and quickly closed his pad shut. “S- I’m sorry.” He apologised, he hung his head low he could feel a blush forming as he felt his face heating up. The teacher gave a nod and turned around to the board to continue the class.

 

He only wished she wasn’t staring at him out of the whole pair of eyes who were.

 


 

He stayed a bit of a distance away from her as usual. He’d settled down on the tree and reached in deep in his bag to reach for his pad but he couldn’t find it. His eyes began to panic as he rummaged through his bag again. After two minutes of trying to find it he sighed and leaned back on the tree trunk. He had lost his precious sketch pad. Losing it kind of felt like he had lost a part of him too.

 

He put all his feelings into it, like he had put some of his life into the drawings. He tried to remember when was the last time he had it when his breath hitched.

 

Minwoo left it at his art class.

 

He let out a loud groan and ran his hand through his hair in frustration. I am such an idiot! He mentally slapped himself. He decided that he’ll just buy a new one and just draw Soyun from a blank page. He took out his pencil and looked at up at her and began to draw.

 

After some time, he was already putting in his last touch on his drawing when he looked up and sees that Soyun wasn’t there anymore. He slumped down his shoulders. His eyes wandered around the park and his head turned when he was startled by a sudden noise.

 

He almost jumped at his seat and when his eyes met with the intruder, his mind turned blank.

 

Soyun was sitting shyly behind with him, her cheeks blushing in an adorable shade of red.  His heart was pounding so loud the noise in the background became completely silent.

 

“Hey.” Soyun said smiling sheepishly.

 

Minwoo had to keep reminding himself to keep breathing. The girl, in his class and his huge crush is talking to him. He just stayed there frozen. He was still trying to make sense of the current situation.

“Um... I was just about to – I mean...” Soyun stuttered out useless words but she suddenly remembered why she came up to him in the first place. She searched for something in her bag and with an ‘ah-ha!’ she took out a pad.

 

Minwoo 's eyes widened.

 

 It was his sketch pad.

 

Soyun gave it to him and scratched the back of her head. “I picked it up in art class. I saw the first page and saw that it was a drawing of me.” She said blushing, “I know I wasn’t supposed to be looking at other people’s stuff but I got really curious!”

 

Minwoo sat there looking down on his lap and back at the girl. He opened his mouth to say something but she beat him to it. “And when I flipped through all of the pages it was drawings of me and I saw your name at the corner of the pages and I recognised it…” She said her voice getting lower into a whisper.

 

“I thought it was weird at first that someone would draw hundreds of me at first but I felt more grateful that someone would draw me.” Minwoo looked at her in the eye to see the hint of lie. There wasn’t and what really shocked him was that she was actually smiling. “And I thought that was really sweet of you so, thank you.”

 

He felt like his face was burning. He still couldn’t believe the girl of his dreams was actually talking to him, now that she was; he absolutely wasn’t going to let this opportunity go to waste. He smiled back at her. The same smile she was wearing right now.

 

“I’d really like to get to know you.” He said, her smile grew wider and she nodded.

 

“I’d like that, Minwoo-ssi.”

 

He shook his head, “Just Minwoo is fine.” He waved his hand and laughed nervously. Soyun shyly nodded and also laughed nervously. Then the laughter died away creating an awkward atmosphere.

 

Neither of them had a clue that the same thoughts rang in their minds.

 

Minwoo extended his hand.

 

“I’m Minwoo and I like sketching.”

 

Soyun reached out and shook his hand gently. Minwoo almost felt so grateful for his sketch pad, without it being left behind he probably would’ve never had a chance to shake her hand.

 

“My name is Soyun, and I would like Minwoo to come with me for coffee.”

 

They both stood up and he grabbed his bag bringing it over his shoulder. As they walked to the gates of the park he sighed happily. She talked while he listened.

 

A little cloud moved away from the sun letting the sun’s rays to fall down in stripes creating a beautiful scenery behind them.

 

Someday he’ll be able to hold her hand.  Someday he’ll be able to run his fingers through her hair. Because, like Minwoo had always said, there was nothing more pure than the feelings of love he felt towards Soyun.

 

 And now he wouldn’t spend them watching, but he would be living them.