Letting Go

Things Better Left Unsaid

 

They say if you want something, you have to work hard for it. Never give up on it. Never let the dream go. But at times, letting go is the best decision. Love.

Talking. Laughing. Smiling. She is happy. I want to keep it that way. I want her to be happy and cheerful always. Be it with me or someone else.

“Nichkhun-shi, why are you so quiet today? Gwencana?” Victoria asked her fiancé when she realized she was the only one talking for the past hour. 

Nichkhun just smiled and caress his fiancé’s cheek with his right palm.  “I’m alright. Just a little tired from yesterday’s work.” Nichkhun lied. He could never imagine how hurt Victoria will be if she were to know what he’d been thinking of for the past hour at the cafe. 

It was 3am in the morning and they were the only patrons in the cafe. After their midnight movie ended, they dropped by the nearby Starbucks. Seeing Victoria had not changed her worried expression since she asked the question, Nichkhun changed the topic. 

“You wanna know something Victoria-shi? I’ve always wanted to own a cafe or a bakery. Too bad I ended up in the photography line” 

Hearing that, Victoria’s mood lighten up.

“Maybe we could have our own cafe or bakery after we get married! There’s plenty of time for us to save up and build a capital to venture into this business…” 

Nichkhun’s heart sank at the moment he heard “married”. He quickly put up a happy expression in order to hide his true feelings from his beloved fiancé. Victoria kept talking bout their future plans after marriage. 

“So here we are.. At my porch.” Victoria gave Nichkhun a cheeky smile, expecting the usual goodbye kiss. Nichkhun leaned forward. He moved her bangs to the side and kissed her forehead. The kiss was long as if he wanted to convey all the things in his mind to Victoria. 

Victoria was slightly taken aback. It wasn’t their usual goodbye kiss which is usually lips to lips. Before she knew it, her fiancé was hugging her. Tightly. 

Nichkhun-shi, why are you like this? I’m scared… 

Still in embrace, Nichkhun whispered “Saranghaeyo”. As soon as he left, Victoria felt she had lost something. Something precious.

The love of her life was gone.