You can't be serious...

I Hate Myself for Loving You

 

“What do you mean he turned around and returned to Seoul after you said that?” Heechul questioned while applying the last line of charcoal onyx on her lids. “You yelled at him in public and he just rolled right back home rather than going to Japan?” He continued to pry while doing his best girl friend’s makeup. 

She could nod but chose not to answer in attempt to stop his curiosity. Rather than just keeping silent, her red lips pouted which he took to his usual advantage. A fresh application of lipgloss brushed across her lips as the surprisingly whimsical man continued on with his investigation. “No way I can believe that. Actually... Maybe... I might.” After finishing up his interrogation and primping of the lifelike doll, Heechul cupped the “darling’s” face in his hands with a proud smile.

“Aigoo... Look at our pretty, Nana. What are you going to do without me? I mean, you’re already drop dead gorgeous but I make you look flawless. Don’t hate me when I say I’m amazing!” His fingers looped through the large curly tresses enclosing her porcelain face after complimenting himself to no ends. He managed to pass a few compliments to her as well, in the midst, so that she would ravish in the moment and quite possibly pass him back some info.

“I would be super helpless, my love. I’ll be like a wingless bird without you!” Nana nudged while curving her eyes into smiles. Oh, how she loved to fluff his feathers. It was entertaining to say the least.

Looking him over, Kim Heechul was a sweetheart’s version of a sadistic cynic (aka some beefed up lawyer/bachelor). That was on good days. In the manliest way possible, he was both eccentric and creative. The man was open with his relationships, uality, and love for all things proper and perfect. So, for him to attach to Nana at the hip (fending off her other bosom friends for the role), it wasn’t a surprise at all. He once said it himself, “If I was a woman, I would want to be everything Nana is now.” A huge compliment in his book.

After getting off the high that was Heechul, she let out a small sigh from her original state of all smiles. It was a weird way the world worked. Once a memory mustered the energy to slink it’s way into your mind, it would make your whole mood spiral down.

Nana propped her elbow on the table then placed her chin in the palm of her hand with her patented pout and scowl. Locks of golden hair fell over her bare shoulders to make her pose more picturesque than it originally was.

Heechul stopped fixing his platinum blonde hair in the mirror to turn to the glaring flower child sighing behind him. Hands neatly folded behind his back, he just glided over to her side with a soft sigh. “What’s wrong now, princess? Are you thinking of Changmin?”

Nana nodded her head slightly to which the flower perched precariously in her ear almost slipped out. Innately fixing it, Heechul found himself sitting before her with a “Come tell Papa Chul all about it” look about him.

“I don’t understand him anymore.” Nana began while twirling a piece of her hair around her finger. (A trait forced onto her by Heechul because all the models do that nowadays.) “How could he just drop everything right then? That doesn’t seem like Changmin at all. He would argue back or brush it off. Most likely, he would had turn snarky and resent me for the rest of the week. I was expecting the norm.What’s wrong with him, Heechul?” Nana looked to her friend with her large, brown orbs; fishing for some kind of reasoning. “Or is it me this time?”

Heechul let out a wistful smile then pinched her cheek softly, taking care not to smudge that blush he meticulously applied half an hour before. “He finally realized your feelings at that moment, hun.” The innocence about her was painstakingly beautiful. He just wanted to hide her away from all of reality. It was a contradiction in itself.

Nana raised her brows as her eyes enlarged in shock. She iced over. “W-what are you talking about?”

“Nana... You packed his bags for him. You wrote out a list of home recipes. You also made sure he had all his medications and necessities.” The cup of tea made its short return to its saucer as he looked to her with discerning eyes. “You totally like him.”

“I... I don’t like him. I did all those things as a best friend should!” Nana reassured him confidently. Heechul’s jaw almost dropped when he saw Nana dart her eyes here and there.

 “Oh, shut up! You totally do. Just admit it.”

----

Kyuhyun tipped the glass of wine back in laughter when he saw Changmin’s expression. “Don’t look at me like that. It’s not my fault you’re not on that plane to Japan.” Kyuhyun picked up the wine bottle to his left then took a brave attempt to pour another glass but was stopped by Changmin. “Expected,” he muttered in response.

If men had frenemies, Changmin and Kyuhyun would most likely be the best possible pair. They both have an understanding of another that no other person could tap into: The world . It became obvious once they both mumbled their first curses to each other that the two were meant to be buds. Sarcastically jeering whatever this complacent society was... It’s everyday for them (even though they belong to the upper class of upper class). Essentially, they were just rich kids with too much time on their hands and over think things.

“That’s enough. You had three glasses already. I’m not calling your driver to pick you up.” Changmin demanded as his bangs characteristically fell over his eyes when he placed the bottle to the side. “Anyway, I know it’s not your fault. If it weren’t for that brat, I would be in Japan by now.” He snapped with assurance while pouring himself a drink. It felt like he needed one after all the events that he came across today.

Kyuhyun’s eyes widened when he saw his best friend take a drink. “You hypocrite! Pour me one, too!” His lean fingers pushed to bump his glass against the wine bottle with a chuckle. “She’s not a brat, Changmin. You and I both know it. You wouldn’t be here right now if she were.” Kyuhyun tipped back another glass following his corrected argument to defend his mutual friend. “Besides, she’s hot.”

Changmin glared fiercely at Kyu’s comment. “Take that back.” His tone became serious in the matter of seconds. 

Kyu raised an eyebrow; itching to challenge Changmin’s temper. Only a few things could tick off the all mighty Shim Changmin and Cho Kyuhyun knew all about it. “What? That Nana isn’t a brat or that she’s a total symbol?” Kyuhyun tested. 

Changmin cracked his jaw then let out an exasperated sigh. “If you weren’t you, I would punch you.” As per usual, he calmed himself down to roll along with his snarky companion’s comments. Tapping against his glass, the wine swirled to a violent red after being pushed slightly by Changmin’s touch. “Do you think what I did was irrational? Japan would be nice but if it means leaving Nana... I can’t.” 

Mulling over the situation, they joked and bickered all they want but beating around the bush could only be so much. He cared.  

Peering over the glass of wine in his hand, Kyu scoffed. “Since when do you care about someone’s feelings?” 

“I don’t. Nana isn’t just someone.”

With a light laugh and a shake of his head, Kyu let out a devilish smile. “You’ve fallen hard, Shim Changmin.” 

Changmin shrugged his shoulders and smiled, careful not to show him his true feelings.

Kyuhyun clearing his throat broke the silence. “So what to do, Changmin? You sold your condo without thinking because you though Japan was going to be forever. Now look at you. You’re homeless!” Kyu elbowed Changmin in the shoulder after he strolled over to sit on the armrest of the man’s seat. “Where are you sleeping tonight?”

Changmin rubbed his forehead as he thought of the many places he could sleep at. “Wait a second... Why can’t you take me in?” 

The jingle of his keys was the only response needed. “I’m open, buddy, but you and I both know that you want to sleep somewhere else.”

Blinking a few times after hearing Kyuhyun’s honest statement, he knew that the man was right. The place he wanted to sleep at was no other than Nana’s.

 Love or not, they were still best friends.

 


Nana grabbed Heechul’s hand in desperate attempt to stop the giddy actions of him sticking a pin in her dress. “You’re crazy!” Nana yelled out over the music with a half glare/grin, almost not realizing her phone was about to vibrate off the glass table next to them.

Nana picked it up as she tried to fend off Heechul with a wide toothed comb. “Hello?” 

Blinking a few times, she had to stare at the screen for a good chunk of time before she realized who it was on the other line. Usually, she would be able to decrypt his messages from the get go but this time... He was all monotone and serious.

After thirty-seconds or so and a bewildered look on her face, Nana hung up. She looked at the phone with aggravation and a faded blush to her cheeks. “Ugh!” She groaned loudly before throwing her phone on the couch.

“What is it now?” Heechul touched her arm to moved her up into an upright sitting position. “Who called you?”

“Changmin made a call to notify me that he’s going to be staying at my house until he buys back his,” Nana sulked with bitter dissatisfaction on the tip of her tongue. Grabbing the nearest pillow, she buried her freshly made face into the pillow and screamed at the top of her lungs. This earned a frantic Heechul trying to pull her up as to not smudge his perfection.