Memories of A Lifetime;

Memories of a Lifetime

 

"别在我的生活中留下印象,因为到时候如果我放不开你,我会很心疼一辈子。"

Please don't leave any memories of yours in my life, because when a time comes and I can't forget you, I will leave myself in heartbreak for a lifetime.

 

*

 

He was never an ordinary boy. Some things just stood out.

 

It was like spotting a yellow flower in the midst of green meadows; discovering a diamond in a pile of stones; and like finding an angel in a crowd of commoners.

 

He was special, but he wasn't perfect. No one really is, but that's what makes him human enough for us to be friends.

 

*

 

He had a liking for cameras. He would stare in awe at amazing pictures others took and rant about how it was so close to perfection. He wanted to remember every moment that happened in his life, so if one day he forgets who he really is, he'll recall through the photos. He said he wanted a picture of me. He wanted to remember me.

 

*

 

"Hey."

 

I looked up only to see him without his usual radiating smile on his face. Something was up.

 

"You want to talk about it?" I cautiously ask, waiting for him to open up.

 

I was always there when he needed someone to talk to. At least, I always try to be there. But someone does get there before I do. I am the second option.

 

"Maybe." His expression didn't falter, and he sat beside me on the bench.

 

"You don't always have to keep it to yourself, you know. If telling someone about it makes you feel better, you should talk about it. I am, always here anyway. But if you don't want to talk about, you can just see here and feel the breeze, maybe snap a few pictures, like how you always do.

 

He smiled a little, and I was surprised at how fantastic he looked this close.

 

"Yeah, I'll do that." 

 

*

 

He and I were friends, I think we're close enough to be called friends, at least. We're in the same grade, the same class, but we sit like miles away from each other. We don't usually meet on a daily basis, neither do we talk a lot. He just looks for me when he needs help or when he needs someone to talk to, because that's what I'm for. That's what I told him on the first day.

 

"Hey, are you okay?"

 

"Yeah," his face was scrunched up, wincing after he fell and injured his knee.

 

"Tell me if you need help alright? I'll just be over here."

 

"No, I'm fine."

 

A few seconds later, he pats me on the shoulder.

 

"Do you mind taking me to the nurse's office?"

 

*

 

He was well-known in school, mainly because of his vocals and looks. He was a guy born with a talent - gifted with good looks. Nobody really knows that we're friends, or that we even know each other. Not that he doesn't want people to know, neither is it that way with me, it's just that we're not close enough. We're friends, but just friends in a way that when he needs help, he looks for me. Then again, maybe we weren't friends after all.

 

*

 

"Hey, can I take a picture with you?"

 

"Wait, what?" I tend to avoid cameras.

 

"Well, we're graduating soon, so I thought it'd be nice to take a picture with everyone I know and put the photos together in a photo album as a memory to keep. So can I take a picture?"

 

"I-"

 

"No wait, you can't refuse. You have no choice."

 

He grabs me by the arm and takes a picture of the both of us; him with his dazzling smile, and of course, me looking bewildered by the thought of actually appearing in a picture. I was never one who like being taken photos of.

 

"Alright, good bye!" He waves and disappears like the wind.

 

How I wish he would go just like that. 

 

The wind blows, and I somehow want these small memories of us to just go with the wind.

 

*

 

We don't meet for years. We don't have each other contacts numbers, and I probably don't mean anything to him at all, so there was really no point. I thought there would be at least some news of him, but really, no one has heard of him ever since. Probably moved to another country. Gone for good. Or not. My heart tugs at the thought that I might not ever meet him again. But I guess it doesn't really matter. 

 

*

 

His face appeared on television. At first, I thought it was just my hallucination, or maybe he was a doppelganger, but after seeing his name written out in bold words underneath, I knew it was him. I haven't seen him for quite some time, but he still looked the same, just like how I remembered him. Now debuting as a group with a few other members, I knew that it was his dream to become a singer, what with powerful vocals that could take your breath away.

 

*

 

I came to the venue of their very first concert. I have come to grow a certain liking for this group, him being my bias of course. I stood outside, watching thousands of fans lining up to enter the stadium. I was not one of them, unfortunately, having not enough income to actually attend the concert. I ended up sitting outside, silently hoping that maybe I'd meet him later when he comes out. I hum to myself a song of theirs, and close my eyes. 

 

*

 

I abruptly wake up from my sleep, only to find myself sprawling on the floor. I checked my phone, the concert was about to end. As soon as the members came out of the stadium, they were surrounded by so many people it seemed impossible to even catch a glimpse of him. I ultimately give up, and walked not too far away to left myself drown in my own tears. He left too many memories, and now just thinking about him was sad.

 

"Want to take a picture?"

 

I looked up, squinted in the dark night, and realized that it was him.

 

"Eh?" I was at loss for words at the sight of him.

 

"I know you." He states suddenly, and stares at me.

 

"Yeah, you do." I was suddenly in a state of depression and rage, not knowing what exactly I was feeling at the moment.

 

"We know each other, alright," I continued. "And it would be so damn nice if only I didn't approach on the first day I met you and asked if you needed help, because I really wasn't anything to you, I don't think we're even considered friends, and I'm always a second option, maybe even the fiftieth option. You're always on my mind and you stay there for God knows how long, and you leave so many memories of yours in my life and it gets in the way it's so annoying. I'm actually surprised that you even remember me. Now that you're known all over the world, perhaps you can just think of me as a nobody and ignore the thought of wanting to say hello to me, if you did have the thought I mean. Just leave my life so I can at least move on." 

 

I feel trails of hot tears rolling down my cheeks. I was just being so stupid, ranting on and on about how I hated him so much. Now I'm not even a friend, I'm just some ordinary fan.

 

"Hey. You meant a lot to me, okay? And you still do, I guess. I don't think I'll be here if it wasn't for you. You gave words of encouragement. You'd hear me out. So, I guess I just want to thank you. I hope it's not too late. And I didn't know... I meant so much to one person." His voice cracked at the end, it was like he was going to cry.

 

"I'm mad at you. I'm mad at how you've left so many memories of yours in my life, and the time has come when I don't think I'll ever forget you, which will make me leave myself in heartbreak for a lifetime. So yes, it's too late now, because you should have said thanks ages ago. I vow to myself to move on."

 

He laughs bitterly.

 

"It's funny how you're confessing to me but then suddenly just saying you'll move on. So I'm no longer an option on your list?"

 

"You just threw your chance away. It'll be the best for both of us to part ways. And I was thinking, maybe it would be better if you didn't show up tonight."

 

"Yeah," He nods. "Maybe I shouldn't have shown up. Then I'd still be on the list."

 

"Screw you."

 

*

 

 

He was never an ordinary person. Everything just stood out.

 

It was like spotting a yellow flower in the midst of green meadows; discovering a diamond in a pile of stones; and like finding an angel in a crowd of commoners.

 

He was a person I loved, still love, and will always love. He's not perfect though, but neither am I, so it's actually okay that we're married.

 

*

 

谢谢你,留下了好多回忆,还有能够和我一起过度永远。

Thanks for leaving your memories, and thanks for being able to spend your whole lifetime with me.

 

----

 

A/N: Okay I have completely no idea why 'we(?)' got married at the end what is this it was supposed to be angst