CHAPTER 3: PARTING

A QUESTION OF LOVE

Ga In closed her eyes and cried bitterly inside her room that night. She wailed as though her heart was being ripped out of her chest. She felt helpless as she remembered her encounter with Mrs. Kim that afternoon…

“I…I will leave your son, Mrs. Kim”, Ga In said as tears flowed from her eyes and she stared straight to Mrs. Kim’s eyes.

“You’re very wise with your decision, Ms. Han. Here’s the money you need for your father’s operation”, Mrs. Kim smiled sarcastically as she put a check across the table.

Ga In saw the staggering amount of 50 million won written on the check.

“This amount is too much, Mrs. Kim!” Ga In exclaimed as she held the check in her hands.

“That is to make sure that you’ll stay away from my son for the rest of your life”, Mrs. Kim replied as she locked gazes with Ga In.

“You’re willing to pay this much just to have me out of your son’s life?” Ga In asked as she could still not believe how desperate Mrs. Kim to have her out of Soo-Hyun’s life.

“Yes, because I don’t like you and the only way to make a poor person like you to do my bidding is to pay you. I always believe that everyone has a price and I’m right. You’re worth 50 million…very expensive for someone so unworthy”, Mrs. Kim insultingly said as she sneered.

“I love your son, Madam; whether you choose to believe it or not. As for this money, you can have it back! I might be poor but you don’t have the right to insult me this much!” Ga In angrily said in a low voice.

“But we have an agreement…!” Mrs. Kim said.

“I’ll leave Soo-Hyun…rest assured that I’ll be out of his life; but, I’ll never forget this day for as long as I live! Never!” Ga In said as she stood and walked out of the café without looking back.

“Ga In, I know how painful it is for you”, So Min said…she already entered Ga In’s room and embraced her cousin.

“I hated her, So Min. I hated her so much but I also questioned myself if I was right in denying my father the chance to live…if I had taken that money he could be operated tomorrow…if I…”, Ga In could no longer continue what she was saying because the pain she felt overshadowed everything.

“Ga In, your father might be dying inside that hospital but it doesn’t mean he would consent to bring his dignity so low as to allow that devil of a woman to pay you to do her wishes and insult you…he would rather die than allow that, cousin”, So Min said as tears also fell from her eyes.

“I’m sorry, So Min; I’m sorry for being such a burden to you. I know you have your own problems too but still you’re here for me”, Ga In said.

“We’re like sisters, Ga In; and, whatever happens we’ll always be here for each other”, So Min comfortingly said as she held Ga In in her arms.

The next day, Ga In went to the hospital to see the doctor…

“I’m sorry, Dr. Lee, I don’t think my father could undergo the operation today since I haven’t the money to pay for his operation”, Ga In said as she avoided looking at the doctor and instead looked at her hands on her lap.

“I’m sorry to hear that but I decided to help you…I know that you tried your best to gather the amount needed but times had been difficult so I decided I’ll operate your father for free”, Dr. Lee said.

“Dr. Lee, I don’t know what to say…I…I didn’t expect this offer from you”, Ga In said surprised with what she heard.

“I’ll not expect anything in return, Ga In. Honestly; you remind me of my daughter who died in an accident years ago. If she had survived, she would have been the same age as you”, Dr. Lee replied.

“Thank you so much, Dr. Lee. Thank you so much”, Ga In said.

“Ga In, I can’t promise you that your father will survive this operation. He had been so weak lately and did not respond that much to the medication. I can’t guarantee his life but I’ll try my best to help”, Dr. Lee said his voice tinged with concern and sadness.

“I understand, Dr. Lee. Whatever happens I’ll never blame you”, Ga In replied as she smiled sadly and gratefully at the elderly doctor before she bowed politely and left the doctor’s office.

Ga In left the hospital and dialed Soo-Hyun’s number…

“Hello, Ga In”, Soo-Hyun excitedly answered the call. He was in his office at the publishing company reading some of the articles submitted by the writers.

“Hi, did I interrupt your work?” Ga In asked hesitantly.

“No…of course not…nothing is more important than you”, Soo-Hyun replied with a smile.

“I…I…” Ga In thought of the right words to say but she found herself hesitating more.

“I missed you these last few days. Are you okay now?” Soo-Hyun asked as he did not know that Ga In’s father was at the hospital since Ga In was not able to inform him.

“I would want to see you at the moment…could you spare me some of your time?” Ga In asked.

“What an odd question, my love; of course I’ll see you. I’ll see you at the park near Han River in about 15 minutes”, Soo-Hyun said happily.

“Okay, thank you”, Ga In said.

“I love you, Ga In”, Soo-Hyun said.

“I love you, too”, Ga In replied before she cut the call.

Ga In went to the park and sat on one of the benches as she watched the water gently stirring on the river and the gentle breeze moving her hair and touching her face.

“This place witnessed so many beautiful memories we shared, Soo-Hyun, my love. I hope you can in time forgive me for what I am to do”, Ga In silently told herself.

She was still reminiscing when she felt a pair of hands covering her eyes and a familiar smell of men’s perfume.

“Who is this?” Soo-Hyun playfully asked.

“Soo-Hyun…” Ga In replied.

“Hi, I missed you”, Soo-Hyun said as he sat beside her and embraced her.

“I…I missed you, too”, Ga In said. “I’ll miss you even more”, she silently said.

“You want to tell me something important?” Soo-Hyun asked as he looked at the river.

“Yes…I…I…wish to end our relationship, Soo-Hyun”, Ga In said immediately before she lost all the courage to do so.

“What? You’re kidding, right?” Soo-Hyun said disbelief written in his face.

“I am not joking, Soo-Hyun, I wish to end our relationship”, Ga In said unable to look at him.

“Why?” Soo-Hyun asked.

“Because you’re rich and I’m poor and because I am nothing and can’t bring you anything”, Ga In said as tears fell from her eyes.

“These issues about me being rich have never bothered us before, Ga In”, Soo-Hyun commented.

“It’s different now, Soo-Hyun, we’re students then but now…now the time has come for you to inherit the publishing company while I still remain as I am”, Ga In replied.

“No, I am not letting you go. I don’t care if you are poor or a beggar. I don’t care, Ga In, just don’t leave me”, Soo-Hyun said pleadingly and Ga In had to closed her eyes and hold on to her will not to succumb into giving into her love for him.

“I’m sorry, Soo-Hyun, just find another person who will love you and care for you. Someone with a family as rich as you…as famous as you”, Ga In said as she stood and turned her back on Soo-Hyun.

“Ga In, if you leave me now…I’ll forever think of how shallow you are. I’ll never forgive you for leaving me”, Soo-Hyun said…his voice broken by tears and sadness.

“Don’t forgive me, Soo-Hyun. Please, don’t ever forgive me”, Ga In said as she walked without a backward glance leaving Soo-Hyun’s heart bleeding and broken and hers shattered.


Hi everyone! I'm sorry for not updating for such a long time...I had been very busy at school these last few days. Thank you for subscribing and reading my story. Please, feel free to leave your comments....