Deep Seated Insecurity

Deep Seated Insecurity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

xuanmiin: Before the first break is narration. Everything after the first break is from Jo Kwon's point of view. I think it's relatively obvious. But then again, I always do :x

-

Ga In, member of Brown Eyed Girls. The problem lies in that she knows that one day BEG will no longer be what it used to be, her unnies will get married, and they’ll want to stop performing as much. But she can’t go back to normal life as she loves the stage, and she doesn’t have saleable skills outside of what she does now. She just can’t. To ensure that she can still make a living of what she loves, she aspires to be one of the top female soloists in Korea. And Kwon is an obstacle to her striving towards that goal. She doesn’t trust herself. More than anything, she just wishes to be with him. The thought of marrying him and having kids has crossed her mind more than once, and it scares her. She’s so happy with him that suddenly she seems to lose focus, and that scares her. So she chooses to walk away. After all, she didn’t believe in happily ever afters. Especially from someone as career minded as her, someone this inexperienced and younger than her.

 

Kwon is broken when Ga In decides to walk away from everything, leaving him high and dry. He later tried to be friends with her, but he failed, because every time he sees her, he just wants to be with her. Since she’s chasing her goal of being a top soloist, he chases his. He completely drowns himself in work. JYP gave him a small company to manage, and if he proves himself, JYP might pass leadership of the company to him. So they chase their dreams separately, to ensure they can do what they love. But he was willing to take a leap of faith, since he sincerely believes that they’re capable of both. She didn’t seem to believe so, and not amount of begging would change her mind. Time passed, and he’s looked for someone to spend the rest of his life with, only to realise that none of them make his heart flutter madly like Ga In. He’s not about to settle for anything less, seeing that the example Jinyoung hyung set wasn’t the most encouraging. About everything else, Kwon would do anything he could to achieve what he wanted. But this wasn’t something to be forced, and he accepted it as what fate lined up for them.

 

Expectedly, both of them are incredibly capable and in 12 years, Ga In from a top soloist has grown to be an influential figure in Nega. BEG now is part of the new guard of the top composers, lyricists and producers in Nega. Their upper management punches far above their weight, with fresh concepts, gorgeous MVs and most importantly, quality songs. In fact, they always have extra songs on had to sell. Kwon is well on track to inheriting leadership from JYP.

---

 

One of Kwon’s successful boy idol groups has come with a proposition.

 

“Kwon hyung!” The leader, Bom dragged me into their practice room.

“Hmm?”

“Kwon hyung said that if we hit number 1, you would reward us right?” Bom is definitely going to ask for something.

“Yes. But within reason.”

“So we all talked about it, and we decided what we wanted.”

“Praytell.”

“Well, you see,” The stammer was coming, definitely something big, “We’re all big fans of Ga In noona…”

“Out of the question!” I blurt, way too fast, and so forcefully that it scares the boys.

“Hyung, we haven’t even said what we wanted yet.” Bom squeaks, voice now terribly small.

“Sorry, sorry.” I shouldn’t have lashed out at the poor boys.

“We, we just wanted to work with Ga In noona once. We don’t really care how, but we want to work with her.” Gaeul now takes over the quickly disintegrating discussion.

“She isn’t really active as a singer anymore.” I bluntly state. Of course I would know, we don’t talk anymore, because it’s too painful for me, but I’m always following her news.

“We know, but can we do one of her songs?” The hidden leader in Gaeul now emerges.

“You mean, buy one of her songs?”

“It’s not that we don’t like the songs that hyung produces. Not at all, it’s just that we’ve always wanted to work with Ga In noona, and we thought that maybe you would fulfill that wish of ours?” Gyeoul is working those puppy eyes of his again.

“Don’t you think that this reward you’re asking for a little big.” I thought it was, though that said, I’ve seen more than my fair share of miracles.

“But we’re big fans of Ga In noona.” Gyeoul reiterates the point that they’re fans.

“Why do I not happen to recall that at all. And I thought I knew who you were fans of.” Admittedly, I’m skeptical, plus Ga In noona is way older than these boys.

“Because hyung reacts like that.” Bom retorts without hesitation, “Out of the question!”

“Okay, what’s Ga In noona’s debut song, and what’s the concept. Give me the name of her debut album.”

“Irreversible. Tango. Step 2/4.” Gyeoul answers with ease, “Should I go on? Second album, Talk About S, title track, Bloom. I can even tell you that it’s rated .”

“Son Ga In, maknae of Brown Eyed Girls, a vocal turned idol group which can really sing. Comprises of Jea noona, Narsha noona, Miryo noona and Ga In noona.” Gaeul continues.

“What’s even more interesting is that Kwon hyung definitely knows Ga In noona. So it’s puzzling that hyung had such a negative reaction to our suggestion.” Yeoreum finally chips in.

“The reason why you haven’t heard anything from us is simple. The mention of Ga In noona or even Brown Eyed Girls is taboo when Kwon hyung is within an earshot.” Bom has that glint in his eye, not a good sign.

“If all of you knew that, why are you then bringing it up in front of me?”

“As aforementioned, we’re big fans of Ga In noona.” Bom gives this answer, but I’m relatively sure that isn’t the real deal.

“But you should know, their songs aren’t cheap.”

“I’m sure Kwon hyung can afford it, especially if the song you pick out suits us.” Gaeul continues to instigate me.

“That isn’t the real deal. I know four of you well enough to know that that isn’t the real deal.”

“Kwon hyung occasionally enlists the help of other composers and lyricists from other companies. Hyung should know that the Nega is one of the best companies for such work, but you’ve never once gone there.” Gaeul retorts, almost going out of line.

“You should know that for the caliber of music they produce, it’s not unreasonable.”

“Don’t tell us that they’re only limited to the ballad genre. Hyung of all people should know that they are capable of many genres.”

“Then take it that this isn’t the real deal. But that’s the reward that we want.” Bom speaks, firm and confident.

I sigh, “I’ll think about it.” I shouldn’t have promised these punks anything in the first place.

---

 

Their incessant begging makes it necessary for me to pay a visit to the Nega building. I’ve arranged to see Jea noona, seeing that I think she’s the best bet I have.

 

“Jea noona.”

“Sit, Kwon.”

“After years of not hearing from you, I see you’ve come to visit.”

I blow out hot column of air, “Noona, you should know why. I hope you understand.”
“Of course. How can noona help you?”

“You see, the pesky boy idol group under me managed to hit number 1. I promised to reward them on a whim if they did so.”

“I don’t see what I have to do with anything.”

“They wanted to work with Ga In noona.”
“Seriously?” Jea noona was now leaned forward in her chair in surprise.

“They claimed they were big fans of Ga In noona. Though I don’t really believe them, but they could name her debut song, debut album and even the concept. They could name the members of BEG, and state that she was the maknae. They even knew that I know her.” Jea noona’s eyes widened in shock.

“But you know that Ga In-ah doesn’t really sing much anymore. I mean, she still can, but she’s busy with other things.”

“Even if she’s willing to sing, I can’t afford to pay her, to be honest.”

Jea chuckles, “She may be willing to do a personal favour though.”

“No, not for anything that’s related with me. There’s a very good reason why I’ve steered clear from collaborating with Nega all this time. The boys scolded me, saying all those things I full well already knew about Nega.”

“The easiest way is probably to buy one of her songs. She won’t say no if you want to buy her song. If I know her well enough.”

“If it was anyone else, of course she would. But Jo Kwon?”

“So you want me to help broach the topic?”

“Well, you know if I as much as walk into her workspace, she’ll get security to throw me out.”

“Maybe not to the extent, but yeah.” Jea noona stands up, “She’s in right now. I’ll go and ask her for you.”

“Thanks noona.”

 

15 minutes of anxious waiting later, the door opens. Jea noona has Ga In noona held in a vice like grip.

“Jea unnie!” Ga In noona protests, eyes blazing. I can’t help but notice how charismatic her eyeliner still is.

“Ga Innie! Since when did you turn down business? Kwon’s group just wants to work with you, and they’ll buy one of your songs.”

“The group I have no problem with…” Ga In stops short, and I know what the next line is.

“You have a problem with Kwon, I know.” Jea noona blurts out flatly. Yeah, that was the next line.

She inhales a very deep breath, and closes her eyes for a moment. I try not to stare a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter