My background

Kim Jong Kook and I (Him being him, Me being me)

 

I started to be totally obsessed with Korean Pop since DBSK/TVXQ. Watching the charming boys on TV or laptop lights up my day and leave me screaming with joy inside. I took up Korean lessons to understand the songs, the dramas, the variety shows. It was tough but I persevered in hope of learning the language and one day, I might just happen to use it to talk to my idols! What are the situations? Well, maybe they were filming and they asked for directions? Maybe I was chosen to be the lucky fan to interact with them? Maybe I knew their close friends, dancers, etc? Many many situations filled my mind which pushed me to learn the language well. It was difficult, no doubt. But at that age of mine, it meant using more time to study the language than spending time shopping, or watching movies, or going out with friends. It seemed to be a positive influence in my life because I was learning a new language while keeping up my grades and well, everything seemed good. I was however not the kind of crazy fans that skipped lessons to visit the idols etc. I was more of the rational type that loved them in my hearts and worked hard to learn Korean (fantasizing sometimes of meeting them :P )

Slowly, I was no longer the girl that fantasize. Work piled up and reality seeped into my life. I needed to work for a good university and graduate for a job. I was still keeping onto learning Korean due to the practical aspects – a new language would be advantageous in finding a job – rather than because I would be using it to talk to my idols. Slowly, I no longer watch dramas (maybe just read the synopsis), I no longer watch variety shows (maybe some cuts from YouTube to cheer myself up), I no longer listen to songs (maybe sometimes watch Music Bank on YouTube). You get the idea, I’m drifting away from Kpop world. Well, I had so much work to do that it seemed impossible to even spend time relaxing.

I studied International Relations and became a journalist. Maybe it’s because I like and am good in writing, maybe because it’s a rather stable job. I’m busy most of the time, as expected, but self-fulfilling. Gradually, my engagement with Kpop is because it was related to the article I was writing.

Learning Korean turned out not to be a waste, however, because Kpop became a worldwide phenomenon and my understanding of the language came in handy sometimes. Perhaps that’s why, I was transferred to writing entertainment news specific to Korea when a new department was set up for that. Sometimes, coming to think of it, there was always a link between me and the kpop world. Maybe because when I was much younger, I fantasize myself hosting an award ceremony? Or maybe the female lead for a popular drama? Or part of a girl band? I laughed at myself. Even now, I am still fantasizing. How is that possible?

Oh well, you never can be so sure.

Biannually, there would be an internal selection in the company for new batches of news anchors and show hosts. Being ambitious and would love to progress in my career, I prepared for the tests, interviews and final selection rounds. I was in. The top 2 actually. I doubted I am the first since the other selected one is the niece of our company’s director so… even if I am good, I doubt I am the first. Sometimes, life is unfair and in the working world of mine, I realized that long ago. At least I got a chance at hosting. It definitely didn’t come easy. Why? Well, you see, by Right, the other top winner would have gotten the chance. But after some deliberations by the show producers and some quality control managers (one of them is my mentor), fighting through some politics, some jealousy, some cat fight (I’m kidding, it’s a civilized world after all)… I got the chance!

It’s a new show jointly organised by our company and SBS. It’s a talk show and the host is required to be well-versed in English and Korean and possibly other languages too. (Now I see, it has to be me since the director’s niece only knows “Hello” in Korean.) Thank goodness, and for the first time, I believed in fate. It sounds cheesy but if I hadn’t loved my idols so much so to learn Korean, I won’t be where I am.

A new adventure is starting and I’m looking forward to it. 

What followed was a busy hurricane of preparations, discussions, slimming down, learning how to put make up, learning about Korea culture, customs, traditions, and politics. Nope, I meant the politics in the company – knowing who calls the shot in the department I am engaging with.

Finally, the last lap before I fly to Korea for filming. I would be staying there temporary before flying back then to and fro again.

“Ring~~~” my handphone rang. 

“Hey, it’s me. Well, it seems like we have a problem with the show and yupp, come to office and we discuss ok?” That’s my show producer… Doesn’t sound good…

“Ok sure… ” I replied. I thought to myself, “If you are going to tell me the show is cancelled after SO MUCH WORK, I am probably better if I just go die.” “Ok, maybe not that bad… relax… it’s gonna be ok. I am just freaking out.” “Let’s find out what’s going on in the office.”