Christmas Eve Eve

Window Pain

Chapter 5

 

This chapter takes place on the same day as the Jungli chapter, but follows Jessica :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Snow was falling just beyond the windows of the Jung household as the eldest daughter sat in her room wrapping presents.


These snotty kids better appreciate the time and effort I put into wrapping these
 

The frustration she was feeling was palpable and left its marks on her face and posture. She sat on the floor hunched over a remote control car that she could not for the life of her, figure out how to encase in paper.
 

Gift wrapping had never been a strong suit for Jessica, but being 2 days away from Christmas, she really didn't have much of a choice. Its a skill she never developed because she simply didn’t see the point; they’re just going to tear it open anyway? Why waste a tree on pointless gift hiding when you could just throw a sheet over it? Why anyone would want their presents hidden from them was beyond her, she hated surprises, but these were for her friends and family, and her mom said she had to make them look nice.
 

The RC car was for her 12 year old cousin Zelo who said he wanted a skateboard, but not wanting to spend very much and still thinking he's 8, Jessica ignored his request and wrote “Better luck next year” on the label. She then proceeded to throw it onto the ever-growing pile of junk she carelessly “wrapped” and leaned back against her bed.
 

Ok, so that's five things from Toys-R-Us for the bratty cousins, four gift cards for people I don't care that much about, three sassy aprons for mom, two bags of weird healthy foreign candy for Seohyun... and a partridge in a pear tree!
 

Jessica thought to herself, singing the last part and giggling at her own lame joke. The remainder of her presents were a 'Disney: Sing It' game for Taeyeon, and a solid $20 for her sister who said she was a little short on cash this year. Those, she thought, could be given as is. As for the rest of the girls in her group of friends, Sica was planning on taking them all out for karaoke sometime, as long as they bought their own food; you'd never know it by looking at them, but those girls can EAT.
 

The reason she bought Taeyeon a gift special, was because even though she's a little annoying and completely dorky, there'd always been a sort of silent kinship between them. She's the closest thing Jessica's ever had to a best friend, and every year they give little gifts to affirm that. Last year Taeyeon gave her a coupon book for free back and foot massages that Jessica proceeded to use at extremely inappropriate interludes. Her way of using her friends byuntae antics against her.
 

This year her gift was lighthearted and a little competitive, a chance to sing Disney songs together and get graded on them; perhaps finally proving which of the two was the superior vocalist. Though she had to admit, she couldn't wait to watch the golden-throated musical star fail miserably on the Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride level. Every time she tried to sing it, it came out sounding like some form of messed up Hebrew.
 

Thoroughly satisfied with her half-assed wrapping job, Sica decided to venture downstairs to see if her mom needed any help with decorations. Though not usually the helpful one, the brown haired girl was feeling jittery from sitting around the house the past couple days and wanted to move. In the dining room she saw her mother standing on a chair hanging paper snowflakes from the ceiling.
 

Mom, we're not 10 anymore, we don't need snowflakes.” Jessica said, walking over to steady the chair she was on.


I know, but I think it gives the room a nice holiday feel, don't you?” The woman said with her usual cheery demeanor, slowly descending from the height.
 

I guess.” She agreed, tilting her head slightly to the side to get a better angle. To the teenager they just looked like big pieces of paper, which is exactly what they were, only this year she was tall enough that they just about touched her head. Jessica was about average height but her sister was taller than her, so if they came anywhere near Sica's head they were bound to give Krystal facial paper cuts.
 

Think they're too low?” Her mom asked, watching her oldest try to balance one on her head.
 

Maybe a little” Jessica said, standing on her tiptoes, eyes up, swiveling her head back and forth with the paper.
 

Ms. Jung sighed and proceeded to cut them down, “I just wish you kids wouldn't grow up so fast,” she confessed, “I remember Christmas when you were younger and that boy used to buy you presents every year. What was his name again?” she asked.
 

Taecyeon, mom. His name was Taecyeon.” a breath of irritation escaped her lips. Taecyeon was a kid in Jessica's elementary school that would follow her around like a lost puppy despite being older than her. He would pick her flowers and buy her lunch but she just saw him as some creep who wouldn't leave her alone. All of that stopped though when him and his family moved after he graduated grade school. She can't say she didn't miss the free food.
 

He was such a nice boy...” Her mother's voice trailed off.


She knew where this was going.

She could feel it.


Oh god, here it comes.


You should find someone like that to take care of you, Jessi.”
 

And there it is
 

I don't need someone to take care of me, mom.” stated the slightly uneasy young woman. “I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself-” 


Usually this argument was as simple as that as Jessica felt perfectly fine being alone, but in light of recent events, this particular exchange felt... different. As the words left her lips, Jessica felt her assurance leave with them. Never before had she feared the idea of solitude, in fact she typically thrived on it. But in this moment, she'd never felt more unsure.


Her mind floated to the yellow haired girl next door. Though it was still young, this budding feeling in her gut made Sica think in ways she never had. She thought about companionship and desire, she felt that her isolated way of life would soon meet its end, and at that moment she wasn't so sure she wanted that. For now, she needed to please her mother, tell her what she wanted to hear.


She cracked a crooked smile and picked up a box of decorations. She knew exactly how to get out of this situation- “And besides, I have you and Krystal, and Seohyun- I'll never need anyone else.” -pour a little sugar on it.


This usually put the conversation to rest, faith in family. Moms eat that up.


You know you'll always have us, kitten.” Her mom took a long pause and hugged her, a mixture of concern and comfort painted her face, “I just worry, is all.”


I know, mom.” Pulling away, the two got to work decorating the house. All the while, Jessica wondered how the conversation would go the day her mom doesn't back down. What would she say? She's not even sure what she feels at this point. All she knows is that for the first time ever, she's starting to wonder about love.

 

 

 

GUESS WHOS BACK BIATCHES.

Bet y'all thought I died or something, yea?

Nah im just a lazy college student now.

Its literally been a full year since I updated but I keep getting subs so ok then

this is a short chapter and im not making promises for the next one cuz ill prolly break them