Just a Hatchling

Hatchlings & Roses

Thank you for all the subscriptions! I love you all :3 please give me some feedback, I want to know what you think~

---------------------------

 

Months went by and the two of them had continued to meet – they bought food (or, rather, they made off with watermelons and lollipops before anyone in the market could notice), climbed buildings and laughed about the people they knew. Yoona had grown more and more curious about Yuri’s life as she began to tell her tales – it must be so fun to live in an orphanage, she thought, with one giant family of kids who all had one thing in common.

It was one early morning, when Yoona had been feeling particularly lonely after realising there was next to nobody to invite to her birthday party, that Yuri had an idea.

“Do you want to meet them?”

Then, consequently, they found themselves outside a wide building with a predominantly red flower lined pathway and a sign reading ‘Red Blossom Orphanage’. It was clear that they weren’t very careful about security as the door barely made a noise as they entered with ease.

Yuri led her into a living room where a cluster of people were spread about, some talking, some reading, and some playing. First, Yuri led her over to three shorter girls. One of them had blonde curly hair, one had lightly curled long brown hair and the other’s was short, straight and chestnut.

“This is Hyoyeon, Sunny and Taeyeon.”

Yoona could immediately see what she meant about Sunny’s bright personality – her smile almost melted Yoona on the spot. All three seemed reasonably pleased to see them, but also puzzled and quiet.

“This is Yoona,” Yuri explained quickly. “We met… at the park, a while ago.”

“Yoona? Who’s Yoona?” a much taller girl spun around from the further corner of the room, midway through devouring a sandwich. “Oh! That’s Yoona? Uh, hi.” She wiped her hand against her jeans and extended a hand for Yoona to shake – which she did, tentatively.

“Yoona’s going to stay the night, aren’t you?” Yuri nudged her lightly.

“Is that even allowed?” Sooyoung grinned, and then began digging seaweed from between her teeth with her tongue.

“She’s going to sneak her in, aren’t you, Yuri?” Taeyeon guessed, rolling her eyes at Sooyoung.

“Great! We’ll come and stay in your room tonight, then,” Hyoyeon beamed, gesturing to herself and the other two short girls.

“When don’t you?” Sooyoung scoffed, earning a light shove from Hyoyeon and a glare.

“Is she replacing Jessica, then?” Hyoyeon winked, followed by laughter from Sunny and Taeyeon.

“Shut up, Hyo,” Yuri shook her head. “It’ll be fun. You guys never invite anyone round; I’m beginning to think you just have no friends.”

“Actually-”

“Min doesn’t count,” Yuri interjected. Hyoyeon pouted. “Come on, Alligator.”

The arrival at Yoona’s house seemed utterly dull in comparison to the visit to Yuri’s home. Yoona scribbled down a simple note for her father and left it on the thin hallway’s mirror, knowing he’d see it before dashing out to work that night. Everything was so small and thin in Yoona’s house – her room by the window was dark and boring, not filled with pictures or posters or figurines like Sunny, Taeyeon and Hyoyeon’s room was filled with.

“I know it’s not very exciting,” Yoona mumbled. “It’s very quiet and boring.”

“Nah,” Yuri leaned against the wall. “It’s peaceful compared to mine.”

That was when Yuri noticed the empty picture frame on the desk. There were three frames – one of them already contained the picture of a very innocent, young looking girl. The other two were empty.

“Perhaps I can help you fill those frames one day,” Yuri ran a finger across the edges of the frames and their flowery design – black vines and shining red roses.

“I hope so.”

---

“We’re all sixteen – from the 89 line,” Yuri gestured around herself, Hyoyeon, Taeyeon and Sunny. “Sooyoung’s from the 90 line.”

“Me too!” Yoona grinned. They were sat in a circle, each girl with her own puffy pillow, a mountain of sweets and chocolates and drinks laid out in the middle. It had been easy to sneak Yoona in – they only had to creep through the back door, grab some snacks from the kitchen and run up to the bedroom. She could always hide behind them or under the bed if someone walked in.

“You’re just a baby alligator!” Yuri laughed, hitting the floor with her hand (which was led by them all telling her to be quiet). “You’re a hatchling. Hatchling Yoona!”

“Oh shut up,” Yoona wiped at the blush that heated up her cheeks.

“We should all have our own animal each,” Hyoyeon suggested, eyes lighting up.

“Sunny Bunny!” Taeyeon poked Sunny’s shoulder, grinning. Sunny blushed a little and nodded.

“Taeyeon’s a puppy,” Sunny reached over and ruffled Taeyeon’s hair.

“You’re the one who makes puppy noises in your sleep, Sunny! Some rabbit you are,” Taeyeon pouted, but then the air as though she were Sunny’s face.

“Hyoyeon should be a tiger, because she’s fierce!” Sooyoung spoke while chewing a red vine.

Hyoyeon made claw hands and roared at Sooyoung, collapsing in laughter. “Okay, Sooyoung is a sloth.”

“A sloth?” Sooyoung let the remainders of the red vine hang from .

“They eat all the time, right?” Hyoyeon smirked.

“You’re an otter,” Yoona pointed towards Yuri, who was sat directly opposite her. Yuri cocked her head, looking to the window as though thinking. She nodded. “Right. Long, slim body…”

“All right, don’t flatter yourself,” Yoona smiled. “They’re playful and quick.”

“Quit it with the romance and eat some sweets already,” Sooyoung grumbled, grabbing an armful of sweets from the tumbling pile of food.