Part 2

Waiting for a miracle

 

As soon as the clock strikes 12 a flood of hungry customers came rushing into the restaurant, each of them desperately wanting a taste of our special home made dumplings. Some of them are recognisable faces and gladly we have unfamiliar faces as this indicates new customers. The atmosphere was warm and welcoming; the sight of shallots being put under the knife and then sprinkled over the bowl gives our customer’s great anticipation. The scent of the savoury yet sweet dumpling soup is boiling under the stove inviting new hungry customers.

As I near finishing off wiping one of the tables down, in the corner of my eye I caught sight of a familiar man, someone who I hate. I let out a heavy sigh and walked towards the table with a fake flashy smile.

“Good Afternoon sir how may I…”

“Bring your mother to me” he snaps, I clench my fist scrunching the notepad under my grip in response.

“Yes sir” I bow and left the table, calling out to my mother.

“Yes dear? “She replies with a soft mellow tone.

“Mr Choi asks for you” I call out hoping that she wouldn’t go to him.

“I’ll be fine honey, go look after the other tables for me” she pats me on the shoulder as she walks off to him.

Watching from afar while finishing off setting out the plates of dumplings on the tray, I clench my jaws at the sight of his filthy hands sliding down my mother’s back. I try to remain calm and professional; I grab the heavy tray of dumplings and set out each of the plates to the designate customer.

I heard giggling behind the loud chatter of people; I took a glance at them, not seeing where I am going, I trip over the leg of the table, almost landing face first I grab hold of the nearest chair and steady myself as the plates shattered beneath me. I curse to myself. Curious eyes are glaring at me; my mother stands up by reflex from her seat next to Mr Choi.

“Sorry for the commotion” I apologise and bow as I quickly start cleaning up the broken plates. With the thoughts of Mr Choi with my mother raiding my mind, I accidentally cut myself, blood oozing out of my skin. “Why are you so clumsy for?” I turn around and Jessica comes rushing to my side helping me clean up.

We hurry to the back and clear out the remains of the plate. I tilt my head down ashamed and embarrass, I can see my sister urgently trying to find the first aid kit. She lays down the white box on top of the counter

“come here”

I could hear from her tone that she was angry at me, but also concern.

She grabs my cut finger and applies the medical attention for it, I flinch at her touch as dabs the cold medicine on the wound, “Stay still Krystal” I obey her words. The thought of Mr Choi and Mother comes to mind again, I sigh. “I know Krystal, I know” she whispers, as if she knows what I am thinking about.

“I just don’t get it, what does she see in him” I look away feeling frustrated. “Hey” she gently places her hands on my cheeks, making me face her. “If she’s happy, we should be too” she smiles, making it sound so easy, I nod in reply.

We prepared for the next orders. “You ready to go again?” Jessica asks holding a tray of the next few orders. “Yeah” I reply feeling a little bit better after that short talk.

“Oh and Jessi…”

“You don’t need to say thanks Krystal, that’s what sister’s are for right?” She interrupts me, giving me another one of her rare smiles before she turns around. 

Where would I be if I didn’t have my sister here to guide me