Same Old Story

Down That Road Again

Sunny went up the stairs of their house. She went straight to her bedroom and unpacked her things.

She had just arrived from America an hour ago. Jessica, her sister, along with her boyfriend Donghae fetched her from the airport.

"Sunny-unnie, have a rest first okay? I'll call you when dinner's ready." Jessica peeked through her room and gave her older sister a kiss on the forehead.

"Okay Jess." Sunny smiled and hugged her sister.

When Jessica went down the stairs, she touched her forehead. There she felt a scar. The scar she had for four years now. She smiled bitterly and continued unpacking.

 

It's 6:00 pm when Jessica carefully knocked at Sunny's room. Behind her was Donghae who came by to help her with dinner. They saw Sunny sleeping peacefully, hugging the pink heart - shaped pillow tightly. They decided to leave and let her be. They were heading towards the living room when Donghae spoke. 

"Tomorrow is the day isn't it?" Donghae looked at Jessica who nodded in reply.

 

NEXT DAY...

"Mom, why do I have to spend my New Year here in Seoul again?" Sunny called their mom who was staying in America.

"Cause today is a very special day Sunny-ah." she could imagine her mom smiling but sad at the same time. It's been four consecutive years that she has spent her New Year in Korea. Not that she doesn't want to, but there is this weird feeling she feels when she's celebrating it in Seoul. As if she has been missing something.

"I don't know Mom. I have to go now. Jess, Donghae and I will be visiting Sungjin and his family." They bid each other goodbye and hang up the phone.

 

It was a two - hour drive from their house to a small village outside Seoul. Sunny was looking outside when she felt a wave of nostalgia engulfing her. Jessica, who was seated beside her called her and asked.

"Is something wrong?" Sunny shook her and smiled. 

"I'm fine. It's just that, the place seems familiar that's all." Jessica hugged her and Sunny hugged back. She didn't know why but she felt as if she's been there before.

 

"How are you Sunny-noona?" Sungjin smiled at her. They were having a nice afternoon tea by the beach. The Lee family owns and manages one of the best resorts in Seoul.

"I'm fine Sungjin. How are your parents?" Sunny smiled back. She saw a sudden change in Sungjin's face that disappeared as quick as it happened.

"They're fine Noona. Jessica-noona and Donghae-hyung always comes here to ask how we're doing." Sungjin smiled at the couple.

They had a few more hours of chit-chat when Donghae decided to leave since it was getting dark. Before getting in the car, Sunny asked suddenly.

"Was that your brother in the family portrait?" Sungjin nodded and smiled a sad smile. Sunny nodded her head and went in. She rolled down her window and added.

"He's kinda cute you know. I wish I had met him." Then the car started to move. When the car was too small to see, Sungjin smiled and took out his wallet. There, he took out some newspaper clippings.

One article says:

"JANUARY 1, 2008 ; 8:00 PM - Eldest son of the owner of Lee Resorts and girlfriend of 3 years involved in accident. The couple were said to be going home from their engagement party when suddenly, a drunk truck driver collides with the car Lee Sungmin was driving. . Witnesses who saw the accident attested that the truck hit the side of the car which hit the side lane baricades."

Another article says:

"JANUARY 1, 2008 ; 9:00 PM - Sungmin was declared dead on arrival when they were brought to the hospital. Lee Sunkyu on the otherhand was declared to be in a deep coma which means she will not be regaining any consciousness any time soon. Autopsy shows that Sungmin died due to multiple internal organ hemorrhage while Sunkyu had a cerebral hemorhhage and blood clot that caused her coma. Witnesses saw how Sungmin tried to protect his fiance by using his body as a human shield but sadly, the impact was too much, causing his fiance to hit the dashboard. The media will be watching Sunkyu's progress until she regained her consciousness."

And another:

"JANUARY 1, 2009 ; 5:00 PM - BREAKING NEWS: After one whole year of being in coma, Lee Sunkyu, fiance of the late Lee Sungmin, has regained her consciousnes. According to the doctors, she has selective amnesia. This type of amnesia happens when the person's mind doesn't want to remember any traumatic experience unconsciously. Due to this, she had forgotten all about the incident a year ago. Sadly, she has also forgotten about him."

 

"You met him already Noona. I just wish you'll always remember him ." 

 

 

When they got home, Sunny decided to take a rest. She took the pink heart - shaped pillow and hugged it tight. As she drifted off to sleep, she saw the guy in her dreams again. It's this time of the year when she'd see him clear and not blurry anymore. She mumbled a happy birthday and an "I love you", as a lonely tear escaped her closed eyes.

 

Jessica, seeing her sister, hugged Donghae and said...

 

" I always believed that they didn't deserve this Hae..."

"True Jess. But looking at it now, I guess this is better." Donghae replied and hugged her back.

 

 

Ever since, it has always been the same.

Every year, the same old story goes on and on.

For 5 lonely new year's day, Sunny remembers him. Sungmin. Her one and only love.

Tomorrow, her mind will forget about the tragedy five years ago including him yet again.

But his love? It will never be forgotten.