Another Chance Meeting

Love On Ice

 

Myungsoo started, glancing up from his coffee in alarm and nearly spilling liquid onto his shirt for the second time that day. His eyes widened as he saw the smoothie girl standing in front of him, looking, admittedly, a little scary with her arms crossed and narrowed eyes. Not that he would ever admit that.

He glared back, smirking. "Yah, I can't believe I had the bad luck to meet you twice in a day either. You owe me a shirt. Clumsy." he muttered the last part to himself.

"I heard that! You were the one who started it, anyways, you and your stupid motorcycle." she hissed.

They glared at each other for a moment, oblivious to the confused and slightly shocked looks on everyone else's faces, only to break eye contact when Jung Ah realized that she had come to see her best friend, not some random inconsiderate jerk. She turned towards Joo Young, who was looking a bit taken aback. Jung Ah gave her a dazzling smile, reaching over to give her a hug and a hello while Myungsoo was left blinking at the empty space before him, blatantly ignored.

Meanwhile, Woohyun was still in a bit of a daze as he stared at the girl across table. He bit his lip, trying to hide a smile, not sure if he should be happy to finally get a chance to speak to her or afraid of making a fool of himself. He glanced at her as she chattered animatedly with Dongwoo's girlfriend. So she was one of her friends. Never had he felt so thankful towards Dongwoo for coming, and bringing his girl with him.

As Woohyun had his eyes locked on Jung Ah, Hoya silently glanced at him, following his gaze. He raised his eyebrows, his mouth spreading into a knowing smile, and leaned back in his chair to sip his drink.

"What are you so happy about, hyung?" Sungjong asked him, and Hoya simply took another sip of his iced coffee.

"Hmm, I just saw something interesting," he murmured mysteriously, leaving Sungjong even more confused than ever.

Meanwhile, Joo Young was busy introducing Dongwoo to her friends.

"This is my wonderful boyfriend that you've all been waiting to meet..." she gestured, smiling happily. Dongwoo gave them a grin, placing his arm around her shoulder.

"You guys are lucky to have such a beautiful girl as your best friend," he told them, laughing loudly when Joo Young gave him an embarrassed shove.

Jung Ah nodded approvingly, smiling at the cute couple in front of her and almost forgetting the annoying guy from before.

"Hey... don't you go to our school?" Yoon Mi's eyes suddenly widened in recognition. "Seoul High, right? All seven of you, you're that popular group."

Jung Ah tilted her head, glancing at the seven boys. They did look familiar, and she had to admit, they were all extremely good looking. She could only imagine how the boy-crazy Yoon Mi was feeling at the moment.

"You two go to our school too?" One of the guys asked.

"Yep, and Joo Young too, starting next week," Jung Ah replied.

"Whoa, that's awesome! I guess we'll be seeing more of each other in the future, then.  I'm Sunggyu, by the way." He gave an adorable eye smile.

The guy beside him gave him a look. "Yah, Sunggyu, you sound like you're closing a business deal or something. What's with the awkwardness?" He looked towards the girls, giving them a smile as Sunggyu opened his mouth in protest. "Hello! I'm Sungyeol, the awesome choding! Let's be friends~" He was cut off by Sunggyu saying something about respecting his elders.

"Well... I guess it's my turn! Hi! I'm Sungjong!" the feminine guy gave them a wave.

"I'm Hoya. The only sane one around here," he said while giving an affable smile.

"Uh... Hi, I'm Woohyun. Nice to meet you?" the flustered boy managed to not make himself look like a fool.

"Myungsoo."

Jung Ah glanced at the motorcycle guy. So his name was Myungsoo. She narrowed her eyes at him when she saw him give her a disgusted look, rolling his eyes. Well. It seemed like she wouldn't get along with him very well, she could tell. She never really liked inconsiderate, snobby princes in the first place, she thought to herself in a huff, turning her back to him and starting a conversation with the other boys at the table.

It turned out that Dongwoo really was as sweet as Joo Young had said; he was caring, funny, and most important of all, head over heels for her best friend. Jung Ah honestly felt quite satisfied leaving Joo Young in his hands.

And the rest of the boys, in her eyes, were fun and easy to hang around, too. Sungjong was the cutest kid ever, Sunggyu like the big brother she never had, and Sungyeol was the mischievous guy who brought in both exasperated looks and laughter. However, she got along with Hoya the most. She ended up sitting and chatting with him calmly while the rest of the group was running around, playing pranks and being noisy (with the exception of Myungsoo, who was being completely sullen). The two were both the kind of people who were more laid back and quiet, or "sane" as Hoya liked to phrase it.

The better part of the afternoon passed this way, chatting and laughing over coffee, watching the antics of the adorable guys and catching up with her best friend. At the end of the afternoon, the three girls bid goodbye and left to do some shopping and spend some long-awaited time together.

"So she's the one," Hoya whispered into Woohyun's ear as the girls exited the shop. He motioned towards the girl outside.

Woohyun's eyes widened, realizing what his friend meant. "Uh.. well.." he stuttered.

Hoya chuckled quietly. "Don't worry, I can try and help. I'm rooting for you, buddy." He smiled, standing up and stretching calmly. To himself, he thought, "There's something else, though- Myungsoo and that girl. They have something going on too, I feel it. Better be careful, Woohyun, you're going to be gaining some competition soon..." he thought to himself. Out loud, he said, "It's about time we leave for today, isn't it?"

                                                                         . . .

His mother was an ice skating champion. She had grown up skating, learning to glide on the ice almost immediately after getting up on her own two feet. Two Olympic medals and tens of other competition titles were forever under her name, the latter of which was now engraved on a stone in the ground.

His father, on the other hand, was a speed skater, and was always going on about speed, streamlining, and going faster still. He had made his way to the Olympics as well, through his own hard work, his blood and sweat; it was there that his mother and father first met.

Skating was intertwined into his family, and it was no surprise that Myungsoo practically grew up on the ice. He was taught to skate fast and smoothly by his father, spending endless hours learning to twist and flip and spin gracefully on the ice from his mother. It wasn't that his parents forced him into it, though it was inevitable anyways. He truly loved the way the wind felt on his face, the joy and freedom that came from letting himself go on the ice, having to concentrate on perfecting his movements. Skating ran through his blood, after all.

He had decided to hit the ice again that night. Skates flew as he gliding over the surface, closing his eyes and spinning in the near darkness. The lights nearby had yet to be fixed, and the rink was still in a state of darkness. Myungsoo could hardly see in front of him, not that he needed to see. He could easily skate without his sight; his feet feeling the ice through his movements.

He suddenly opened his eyes, hearing the unmistakable sound of skates scraping the ice. But that couldn't be it. No one came to this abandoned rink to skate anymore, or at least that's what he had assumed when he first discovered it. It was old, unused, and not to mention dark as hell.

But obviously it was the sound of skates, he realized, when he spotted a figure gliding quickly in circles on the far side of the ice. He was certain they could not see him, since it was a dark night and the lights were hardly helpful. Myungsoo watched the skater, fascinated, standing still as she (he could tell, by her figure, that the skater was a girl) spin over the ice. He was so mesmerized by her movements that for a second, he lost his balance, tripping over a dip in the ice. With an uncharacteristically clumsy stumble, he managed to regain his stability- but not before the skater took notice, turning around to look at him.

“Crap,” Myungsoo thought, eyes widening. “What should I do?”